“Loved the location in KiHei” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kamaole Sands

Kamaole Sands
Ranked #14 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the location in KiHei”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2005

The location of Kamaole Sands could not be better. Across the street from an excellent beach for swimming and snorkeling. The photos of the grounds don't do them justice. The swimming pool and spas were very clean. The condo was a spacious 1 bedroom, with a washer and dryer. We had a superior Garden view, worth the extra few dollars. The staff were all very friendly, but not efficient. "Daily housekeeping service" was an overstatement. Sometimes we got a full set of towels, sometimes we just got a bath towel. Our condo was just cleaned twice during an 11 day stay. However, this was the only cloud during our wonderful vacation.

• Stayed October 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2005

Before I arrived at Maui. I was worried while I read some of bad reviews about Castle Kamaole Sands. But I decided to follow suggestions from those good reviews I read. While I arrived at the resort. I told them about the good review. The resort staff updated our room to two bed rooms(I think Septemberis somehting to do with it). I have two teenagers.

The room 4-405, is very spacious. some ocean view, fully equipped kitchen, nice and clean. There are TV, DVD play, CD play in the comfortable living room. If there is another window air conditioner in the 2nd bedroom, then it will be perfect. But the temparture at night is pleasant. So it is bearable.

Swimming pool is okay size. garden is nice. Building 4 locates behind the garden. If you want garden view& ocean view , you should ask while you check in. I found the staff is helpful. House keeping is very nice as well.

Location is convience. right across street is the beach; walking distance to small shopping places. 5-10 minutes driving to FoodLand and Safeway. I found safeway is a little cheaper than FoodLand. We all like the Queen K..... Mall near the airport, there are local people selling home-made products and there is a food court which have Japanese, Haiwaiian, Chinese, Mexican food. Price is reasonable comparing other places in Maui.

• Stayed September 2005
27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2005

We stayed at Building 6-108 (1 bedroom) where the lanai was just right across the entrance of the pool. The unit looks like it has been newly renovated, very clean and quite. All the amenities of home was just right in our fingertips, from pots and pans to laundry detergents. We really had a great time here and never had a problem from the time we arrived. The staff were very friendly, hospitable and always willing to help. Even though the A/C was located in the living room, it was still comfortable in the bedroom by just leaving the door open and the bedroom ceiling fan on. My kids really had some fun time by just hanging around the unit watching TV on the Plasma LCD TV in the bedroom, swimming, and by just crossing the street to Kamaole III beach to boogey and skim boarding. For sure our third time in Maui will be at Kamaole Sands... Mahalo...

16 Thank PacIslander
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2005

We just returned from vacationing in Maui (Kihei). A total of 17 of us stayed @ the Kamaole Sands the week of August 20th thru the 27th. We were each assigned a condo in building #6. My wife and 2 kids ages 13 and 7 stayed in unit 305. We were lucky enough to have been given a refurbished unit. It was nicely decorated. One bedroom, 2 baths, washer and dryer, all the amenities that made us feel like home. The only downside was that the A/C is a wall unit located in the living room. Therefore, the kids were comfy while sleeping in the sofa bed. The bedroom however was a little warm. Fortunately, our bedroom had a small water cooler and fan which ran the whole time we were there. We had a garden view which faced the swimming pool and a partial view of the ocean. The patio was spacious and cozy. We took advantage of the kitchen along with the amenities such as the coffee maker, toaster, plates, cups, forks etc. Our second day there, we drove to Food Land and Costco to shop for a weeks worth of groceries. There were also several amenities for the kids to use, boogie boards, beach chairs, snorkeling gear etc. “Thanks” Jeff and Tracey for making us feel at home “Mahalo” you both did a wonderful job with the place.

The Kamaole grounds are lush with greenery and wild birds. It’s well maintained. We felt safe the whole time we were there. The only negative point is that some areas in the unit needed more lighting. The weather could not have been more perfect. The location was close to everything, shopping, restaurants, and beach. Almost every morning, we walked across the street to swim on the beach @ 6 am. The water was calm and warm. We ate @ Da Kitchen, Pupu Lounge, Sansei Sushi and had shaved ice (yum yum). All these eateries were either within walking distance or less than a mile from the condo. We also did several excursions such as the Old Lahaina Luau, Snorkeled @ Molikino and Parasailed. We skipped the road to Hana only because I heard and read about dreaded drive to and from. Although, next time we plan on taking the drive.

What can I say about Maui, it was our first time visiting Hawaii and it will not be the last. The locals are very warm and friendly. Everyone seems to take there time without any rush what so ever. Mahalo Maui and We will see you again soon...Aloha and Mahalo !!!

Feel free to email w/ any questions...

34 Thank Dnavarro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2005

We stayed in the Sands in mid Aug this year (2005). My family stayed in Building 4 – 203. My friends originally booked into 208. They did not like it (me neither) because it’s right next to the elevator. Besides the noise, you cannot open your bedroom window because people walk by can put their hands inside (I am not kidding). 208 is a bit out of shape (but not too bad). Our friends then moved to Building 9. I don’t think the room is any better but at least their room is a little bit more secure and has a few board games.

In our 203, we had a fairly new (much better than my own ones at home) fridge, flat-top self-clean oven/stove, and dish washer (all full-size). The fridge had a very handy automatic ice maker. The cloth washer and dryer worked really well. We were provided with plenty of laundry and dish washer detergent. If you need anything, just ask the front desk.

The kitchen has all the utensils that you can imagine. It even has two coffee makers. Lots of dishes, knives, cups, etc. All you need to do is just to shop at Foodland to fill the fridge.

The entire unit has tiled floor except the bedroom which is carpeted. Both washrooms are very clean. One side of the wall in the living room has mirror from ceiling to the floor which makes the room look much bigger (like those in a cruise ship cabin). One TV in the living room and another one in the bed room. Our balcony had a limited view of the ocean. Even though it faced the highway, we were never bothered with the noise at all. I understand that some units do not have A/C in their bedroom but we had one! We never needed to turn on the A/C in the bedroom, not even the fan because it was cool enough at night when we left the window open. The kids slept in the living room (sofa bed) and they did not turn on the A/C or fan either.

We used the A/C in the living room only when we went back to the hotel to have dinner. The hotel location is ideal as it is right next to Wailea (the most expensive place in Maui), if you can afford to shop at the Shops in Wailea. Otherwise, you can always drive for 5 minutes to the strip mall and buy your grocery at the Foodland. If you buy your grocery at the Foodland, remember to get a FREE membership card to get discount. We saved $20 (out of $75) on our first day alone.

The Kam III beach is a good place to watch sunset. It is right in front of the hotel. The hotel also has a car wash area (you may have to pay extra if your rental vehicle is dirty when you return it to the rental company). The garden in the hotel is ok but I would not pay extra $20 a week for those units that have the garden view. The water in the pool is very warm, even at night.

If I go to Maui again, I definitely will go back to 203 in Building 4.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2005

We stayed at the Kamaole Sands condominium complex on a recent jaunt to Maui. It's located at 2695 South Kihei Road in Kihei. It turned out to be a no-frills, but highly functional home base for a fantastic week of Maui fun!

Room: Upon arrival at our unit, we were pleasantly surprised to find that it had 2 bathrooms! This made getting ready in the morning much faster. I've got to be blunt and say that this is not a luxury resort. But we had no intention of spending much time in our room. The full kitchen came with all the dishes and utensils we needed, and the washer and dryer came in handy after particularly dirty days. They even provided dishwashing and laundry soap! We didn't ask the housekeeping schedule when we checked in, but apparently it's a once-every-few-days kind of schedule. This was no problem, but it's important to know up front so you preserve your towels appropriately. I'd recommend asking at check in. The decor was drab, and our lanai overlooked the highway. Still, the room was very spacious and clean - everything we needed. The main problem was that there was no air conditioning in the bedroom, just a ceiling fan. This was not indicated in the description of the resort on its website. There was a small safe in the bedroom that allowed you to program in your own lock code - there was no indication that a charge was involved, so I just used it!

Complex: The grounds of Kamaole Sands are very lovely. There are nice walking paths and beautiful landscaping, and birds chirping sweetly. We used the pool a lot at night, and hardly anyone else was there! We saw one gecko outside our room, but no scary bugs anywhere in or outside of our unit. It's an easy walk to the Kamaole III beach, which is a superb, uncrowded place to watch the sunset and sunrise. We picked up some cheap woven mats at K-Mart (right next to Costco), which are much nicer for beach-sitting than towels. There's a spigot for washing the sand from your feet before returning to the complex. The photos on the Castle Resorts Kamaole Sands website are accurate, but the interior of the unit was much darker than indicated in the photo. That probably changes from unit to unit.

Condo dining tips: One of the main reasons we chose to stay in a condo (rather than a regular hotel) was the full kitchen. Eating every meal in a restaurant can get darn expensive! Before leaving on our trip, we hit Trader Joe's to stock up on a few bags of granola, which are easier to pack than boxes of cereal. We also picked up an assortment of Clif bars, for those occasions when we'd be out adventuring with no access to snacks. I also brought some teabags, but I ended up not using those at all. Kahului airport is conveniently located next to the Costco, so that was our first stop after picking up our rental car. We bought the following essentials: 1 flat of bottled water, 1 large bag of apple bananas, 1 large bag of grapes, and one bottle of rum. We picked up a gallon of milk at a Safeway, and we were set for breakfast. As first-time visitors to Maui, we had heard all the horror stories about groceries being ridiculously expensive, and that it didn't really save a lot of money to make your own meals. I was expecting to pay $7 for a gallon of milk. As it turned out, the milk was maybe 30 cents more expensive than I'd pay in Seattle. And the Safeways in Hawaii accept the same member club cards as those on the mainland, so you can save a little money by remembering your card. All in all, the "high" price of groceries was not a big deal. So, our condo-style breakfasts consisted of granola with milk and apple bananas, which are so much fabulously better than regular bananas, it's mind-blowing. The only sad thing is they can't go back on the plane to the mainland. Boo. After we checked into our room, we filled the freezer with water bottles (try doing that in a mini-fridge!). When we embarked on adventures later on, we'd fill a bag with a combination of unfrozen and frozen water bottles. At the beginning of the day, the frozen bottles kept our grapes and (liquid) water cool. At the end of the day, we had cold, just-melted water to drink. Perfect.

Activities:

Haleakala sunrise: Seattle is 3 hours ahead of Hawaii, so we spent our entire vacation on Seattle time. Meaning, we'd regularly get up before dawn, and go to bed around 9. This sort of schedule is very helpful when getting up at 3 am to head up to the top of Haleakala. When we headed out of the condo complex, I was a little nervous about getting lost, but we soon found that the only cars on the road were headed the same place we were! It took a long time to drive up to the top, and the scenery was a little boring (read: dark!). We arrived at the top just in time to see a car sliding into the last available spot in the upper lot (doh!) but we luckily managed to find a spot in the lower lot. If you think you're going to have to... er... answer nature's call... before sunrise, DO IT NOW! Once you get a prime sunrise viewing spot, you can't leave and expect someone to save your place. The porta potties are pretty good, and by hitting them early, they're also pretty clean. A flashlight is VERY helpful in finding your way, because there are no lights at the summit. And you did remember your Purell, didn't you? So everyone knows that the summit before dawn is cold, right? There seemed to be two strategies for staying warm. One, be part of a bicycle group, which issues bright yellow jumpsuits. Two, drag every bit of fabric out of your hotel room and swaddle yourself in it. Looking around, I learned that there is not a lot of variety in hotel bedspread patterns on Maui! But I digress. I felt extreme self-satisfaction on our level of cold preparedness. We each packed a fleece ski hat, and were wearing jeans, light jacket, and hiking boots. We also had some cheap, disposable chemical handwarmers. You can buy them at G.I. Joes for 79 cents. The ski cap weighed almost nothing, and made standing still for an hour in the freezing wind much more tolerable. We also brought our beach towels for extra warmth. We secured viewing spots right on the railing overlooking the crater. The view behind us was of about 300 faces, eagerly hoping that we would move so they could take our spot. We just smiled and gnawed on Clif Bars. It would have been awesome to have a thermos of hot coffee, but that's a lot of work for so early in the morning. The sunrise was beautiful, but I hear it varies, so you should check the weather by calling the national weather service if you really care. But, there is so much to see after the sun comes up! Right after sunrise, all the bikers immediately took off down the mountain, leaving about 50 people exploring the summit and crater. Wow, I was glad I wasn't on a bike tour. We spent another hour or so at the summit, watching the clouds billow into the crater, which was almost as surreal as the sunrise. My husband enjoys photography, so we spent some time playing with filters and taking photos in the crater. The pictures make it look like we vacationed on the moon! We also hiked down the Sliding Sands trail for a few hundred yards, which is a little difficult due to the elevation, which is over 10,000 feet. It also gets warm quickly, and the thin atmosphere makes the sun even more intense. Always prepared, we traded our ski hats for sun hats. The crater is very, very windy, so make sure any hat you wear has a neck-strap of some kind, but if the wind takes your hat, don't lunge for it, just let it go.

Snorkeling at Molokini: Since Molokini is miles offshore, the only way to snorkel there is to take a boat tour. We took the morning departure of the Four Winds II catamaran from Maalea Harbor, which was rated pretty well by the Maui Revealed book. It cost about $70 each, including continental breakfast and lunch. The boat ride itself is not very interesting, and it takes about 45 minutes to reach the crater. However, a crewmember was on the PA system, and identified neighboring islands and told us about the history of Molokini, which was pretty cool. My husband is prone to seasickness, but he had no trouble on this trip. The tour provided all necessary snorkel and safety gear (including free prescription goggles for my husband). We had to bring our own towels and sunscreen, which some other (more expensive) tours provide. While we were snorkeling, one of the crew was also in the water, making a video of everyone snorkeling. The snorkeling was very fun, not too crowded at all, and there were a lot of fish. The bottom of the crater where we were snorkeling was maybe 15 feet deep, so it was possible to dive down a little further and get up close to the fish. Lunch was ok, and consisted of burgers, chips, and sodas. I was not in the mood for alcohol - a little early in the day, and it was hot! There weren't a lot of shaded places to eat on board, because many of the seats doubled as storage compartments, and were not useable once the crew started using them. Overall, I felt well supervised in the water, but free to do what I wanted. On the ride back to Maalea harbor, we paused briefly to look at turtles, which were bobbing just under the water surface. The only bad parts of the trip were the hard-sell on the snorkeling video (not worth $30, in my opinion), and the fact that the bathrooms, which we ok on the trip out to Molokini, reeked of urine on the way back. And everything in the bathroom was wet, which could have been seawater, urine, or practically anything else. I wish they could have spent more crew time cleaning the bathroom, rather than hawking the video.

The Road to Hana: After the Haleakala sunrise, I think this is one of the more controversial activities on Maui. Is it worth it? Is your rental car allowed to drive it? Will I get carsick? Will my kids enjoy it? I would say that if you just take off on the road and drive it, you won't enjoy it. If you do it right, the Hana Highway is like a treasure hunt. We used the Maui Revealed book, and followed its directions to find a host of hidden treats. It's really a lot of fun to drive slowly along the road, and pull over by the fence after milepost X, then follow the trail, hop a fence, and voila! A 300 foot waterfall! Some of the treasure hunts were un-findable, but that's part of the fun. We kept running into the same 2 couples at a lot of the spots - we all had the telltale blue book in our hands! It was quite convenient because we passed our cameras around and took pictures of each other. Our rental car made it all the way around the backside of Haleakala with little trouble - the way the road is described in Maui Revealed is accurate. Some of that highway is incredibly smooth and clean - probably due to underuse! However, the road that leads to the Blue Pool is very difficult, and I probably would not drive it again except in a vehicle with AWD and high ground clearance. This adventure does take all day, and it can be hard going with kids because restrooms are scarce. Also, driving in a group would not be fun unless everyone has a window seat. One warning about the Seven Sacred Pools - I received about 5 mosquito bites on my wrist, and my whole hand swelled up and itched like crazy. Remember to reapply your repellent often! Then roll the windows down, and enjoy the tropical air. Take lots of water and snacks.

'Iao Valley: My best advice for this lovely destination is to get there early! An 8 am arrival time is not too early. When we were ready to leave, three extra-jumbo tour buses were pulling into the parking lot and disgorging hundreds of tourists. That would have really diminished the serenity of the valley. The trails are well-marked, so the best way to enjoy this place is to just wander where the trails take you.

Baldwin Sugar Museum: Maybe we were the only tourists who stopped here! On our last day, we had a few hours to kill before we had to go to the airport, so we stopped here. All week, we had been fascinated by the incongruous steam stacks belching a constant stream of steam into the air. We learned all about it at the sugar museum. There are a lot of interesting artifacts, but I started to feel like a fidgety kid almost immediately. After being outside all week, it was difficult to settle down and read informative placards, and normally I enjoy museums very much. They have a pretty detailed website - I'd recommend taking a look at that before deciding to visit. They have a nice gift shop where you can buy Maui Brand Sugar products, but I think they're available elsewhere as well. Museum admission was $5, with reduced rates for kids.

Dining:

Maui Tacos, Kihei: We ate our first dinner here, and it was disappointing. Very bland, $7 burritos. Not worth it. We also had this romantic idea of taking our burritos to one of the picnic tables by the beach, but they were all covered with ants. It was not a good start to our trip, but things soon got better. The address for this location of Maui Tacos is 2411 S. Kihei Road, but there are many locations in Maui (as well as on the mainland!).

Mama's Fish House: Making reservations in advance is essential. We called the day before, and the only openings were at 4:45 and 8 pm. Since we were still on Seattle time, the 4:45 seating was perfect. We were seated in the outdoor portion of the restaurant, so we had a great view of the cove and water. The ambience is wonderful - it looks a little tacky on their website, but in reality the island decor is very appropriate. The service is impeccable - it appeared that each table had a primary and secondary server, so we always had someone checking on us, but not in an obtrusive way. I think downscale restaurants think good service equals asking "is everything ok?" every five minutes. At Mama's, you'll just occasionally see your servers surveying your table from afar, making a check to see if the glasses are full, and that you look happy. Boy, were we happy. Everything was superb, from the poke rolls and Mai Tais (which they claim to be the best on Maui) to the passionfruit creme brulee. Our server told us that he was once asked to shield a woman from public view as she licked her creme brulee dish clean. I didn't blame her at all. And yes, it's expensive (over $150 for 2, including drinks, appetizers, dessert, and tip), but memorable. You could skip the extras and dine for under $100, or come for lunch to save some money. Mama's is located at 799 Poho Place in Paia.

Hula Grill: If you're having dinner here, try for the earliest seating, and ask for a table at the edge of the lawn. That way, the sun will set over the water while you're eating. Perfecta! Again, I was struck by the genuine friendliness of the servers here. We had cocktails, poke rolls, and fresh fish entrees, all of which were great! But the real treat is watching the Ka'anapali beach traffic amble past as you dine. Don't worry, the seating area is separated from the walking path by 20 feet of lawn, so it's not like people are strolling right by your table. The Hula Grill is less expensive than Mama's, but seafood entrees are about $25 and up, appetizers about $10, drinks about $6, so it's possible to spend quite a lot. However, there are many less expensive entrees, and they even have a few wines priced below $20/bottle! That's rare even on the mainland. Definitely try the Banana Mac tropical drink - Baileys, Macadamia Nut liqueur, ice cream, and banana. Yum! Their entire menu with prices is listed on their website. The Hula Grill is located in Whaler's Village on Ka'anapali Beach.

Peggy Sue's: This place was so good that we ate here twice. The ambience is more similar to a Johnny Rocket's or a Mel's Diner than anything remotely Hawaiian, but that's ok with me. It's located in a strip mall in Kihei, and is easy to miss if you aren't looking for it. All the burgers have kitchy names, and we were won over by the Blue Moon burger, with a pile of crumbly bleu cheese and bacon on a wheat bun. Wow, yum, good. Burgers were about $8. Peggy Sue's is located at 1279 S. Kihei Road in Kihei.

Kula Sandalwoods Restaurant: We had breakfast here on the way back from the Haleakala summit. We were the only patrons, but according to the very friendly server, we just missed about 100 bikers. Yet another reason to spend some time at the summit before heading back down! We ate on the veranda, which had a beautiful view down the mountain to the shore. Breakfast was very good, with modest portions and was just a little pricey by mainland standards - about $10 for each of us. The restaurant's address is 15427 Haleakala Hwy, in Kula.

64 Thank PensiveFrog
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2005

We stayed in the Kamaole Sands, bldg. #5 unit 302. The location and grounds were great! However, the lack of adequate air conditioning made the nights nearly unbearable. The A/C wall unit was great for the living room and kitchen, but it was not powerful enough to cool the bedroom as well. We tried turning the A/C on to full power along with the ceiling fans to circulate the air throughout the entire condo but it didn't work. The kids froze on the sofa bed in the living room while we were melting in the bedroom. Another A/C wall unit in the bedroom would have made our vacation much more enjoyable. BE AWARE and BEWARE that all units are not the same. Furnishings are provided by the individual owners of each condo, and vary in style and quality. Our room had newer carpet and appliances while my brother's family in bldg. #5 unit 310 was not so lucky. The room was awful. It had a peculiar odor, old worn carpet, one "second hand" TV, and very few kitchen untensils (3 plates, 3 cups, and two forks). They complained and they were moved to a much nicer unit (Bldg. #10 unit 112). However, all the units had the same problem with the A/C as we had in ours. We'll come back when the A/C situation is corrected.

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Aston at the Maui Banyan
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Kamaole Sands? Share your experiences!