“Great location, fantastic value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lihi Kai Cottages

Lihi Kai Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kihei
Lihi Kai Cottages
Ranked #43 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
“Great location, fantastic value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Maui Cove Park Inn (as Lihi Kai is now known) has it all. Great location, very reasonable rates, a stellar manager in Ralph, some of the best snorkeling right out from a little private-seeming beach. I was honestly just a little wary about how reasonable the rates were. My worries were unfounded. I've stayed in Kihei four different times, and if/when I return, there is no doubt that this is were I will be staying next time. Not one bad thing to stay during a three week stay!

Room Tip: 2 and 3 are closer to the main road. But nobody I talked to had any problem with sound or anything...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We had never been to Maui before so booked this place relatively blind as to where we should stay on the island. Wow! We really couldn't have picked a better place! The best snorkeling we experienced during the 8 days we were there was right in front of our door! (including Molokini) - Turtles!!

Ralph, the new manager was very gracious, helpful and generous with great information. He even gave us a guide book "Maui Revealed" to borrow while we were there.

The room was clean, spacious and comfortable with a nice sized shower and good air conditioning. Plenty of dishes and cooking utensils / pots etc. Our only complaint was that the mattress in Unit #1 was a little tired and we had to remove the plastic mattress cover as it just didn't breathe and made us too warm. With a new bed in the place, there would be absolutely nothing to complain about.

We would definitely stay there again. Walking distance to The Triangle and the best happy hour specials in Kihei. Beautiful long walks in the big park there and if you're into paddle boarding or surfing... this is also definitely the place to be. Mango and Breadfruit trees on the property which you are encouraged to eat. Nice BBQs, free WIFI which was also pretty good and free use of Washer/Dryer and water Boogie Boards.

Room Tip: There are a few units a little further away form Kihei Road - try to get those.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim F
stanford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Lihi Kai cottages' new name is now Maui Cove Park Inn and being managed by the owner. I had a wonderful stay there. My cottage was remodeled and lovely. The floors were newly tiled, the bathroom had new amenities and included a extra large vanity. Everything was immaculate. The owner replaced the box spring mattress the first night and I slept comfortably. The kitchen was well set up (refrigerator, stove, microwave, toaster, etc.) and a family would be able to cook all their meals (if they so wanted) The owner was very attentive and I was given everything I asked for (including hair dryer) Everything was good quality including towels and washcloths (which I appreciated) As mentioned in other review, the location is perfect. Easy walking distance to all shops, restaurants, and Foodland. The Maui bus also stops very close by. At sunset you have can stand in driveway and look across the street to the beach and watch a spectacular Maui sunset. I stayed here alone this time but hope to return with my husband. All the units have lockboxes which is convenient.

Room Tip: My cottage was next to the road so there was some noise. Had I used the air conditioner, this would...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mizlibrarian
Smithers, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here in November 2013, but not as long as we had originally booked. The cottage was very clean and nicely renovated, although the foamie on the bed made my back ache.
Patrick was very accommodating with anything we needed, beach chairs, umbrella, clean towels, garbage bags,etc. He was very pleasant and respectful of our privacy.
His wife is the reason we left before our end due date. We mistakenly broke a rule, brought our bikes into the unit for a few hours to keep them safe, mainly because we thought they were going to be gone for the day and didn't want to take a chance on them being stolen. As we were told that locks were cut & bikes were stolen by his wife.
It's one thing to have contact with her on her steps, by the washer, in driveway and have to keep walking away while she is still talking.. but to have her right at your doorstep on the lanai giving you the riot act and basically making you feel like crap is not what we go on vacation for! She acts like the manager, but she is not. We were looking to see about bringing the rest of our family.. daughter and grandchildren, but with her foul language.. every conversation was foul, it was immediately NOT going to be what we were looking for.
So we found another place. Didn't want to have to worry about the traffic, foot and vehicles from the park and main road.
I do miss being right close to Charley Reach Beach, but now we use our bikes to get there instead.

Room Tip: Stay away from the wife. Don't break any rules.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Rose P
Port Alberni
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Thank you Patrick and Diane, together you made our holiday exactly what we needed. The cottage was well equipped, the bed comfortable. When we needed beach chairs or clean towels they were cheerfully supplied.
The property is right across from Cove Park where the surfers gather, always interesting to watch. It was a surprise to see so many dogs on the boards, enthusiastically waiting for the next wave.
If you are looking for cookie cutter luxury this is not the place to stay. If you want a clean, basic accommodation, close to FoodLand, shopping, wonderful beaches at a good price this fits the bill. Lihi Kai Cottages have changed names, now called Maui Cove Park Inn.

Room Tip: We stayed in #6 for four days, this is a very nicely equipped studio. We then moved to #4 because w...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MARKAYDALE
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

My 18-yr old daughter and I stayed in unit #5 for four nights in mid-August, 2013. We paid $79.95US per night. The unit has a separate but doorless bedroom with a comfortable bed, which at age 65 I need, and a flimsy pull-out couch bed more acceptable for young, supple spines like hers. I asked her how she slept, and she had no complaints. The unit is indeed tired. It's in need of paint, there are nail holes in the walls, rust marks in the sinks, shower (especially the soap dish), and other signs of neglect. But, for the price, it is unreasonable to complain too much.
The unit has one small air conditioner, but aided by an overhead fan (there is also a floor fan which we didn't use), it was acceptably cool in the mornings and evenings when we were in. We could hear no traffic noise. The location is excellent. It's in walking distance of restaurants, just a short drive from Foodland grocery store (everybody gets the lower club price – everybody – just tell the cashier you want to be a member; there's no charge for membership), across the street from a small beach, and just a five minute walk to Kamaole Beach, maybe the best in South Maui.
As to the managers, I'm sorry the Canadian reviewer had such a bad experience because Patrick and Mrs (I didn't get her name) were polite and professional to us. After agreeing to rent us a remodeled unit several weeks in advance, and accepting one night's rent as deposit, Patrick emailed me five days before we were to arrive that – oops – he was overbooked and would we agree to stay in (tired old) #5. I emailed my displeasure firmly but in a civil way. He responded that, yes he had messed up and offered us a full refund of the deposit. That seemed to say he is a reasonable guy, so we stayed at Lihi Kai even though I found other nearby accommodations between those two emails.
So it's not the lap of luxury, but if you're going to Maui to enjoy the beaches, the waterfalls on the road to Hana, the views from atop Mt. Haleakala, the street life in Lahaina, and all the rest this wonderful island has to offer (and not stay indoors all day), then for the price, you almost surely can't do much better than Lihi Kai Cottages.
PS: If you engage Mrs in conversation, be prepared for a long one. Be prepared to walk backwards to your unit as she talks. And talks, and ...

Room Tip: Units 1, 2, 3 and 6 are the remodeled, and presumably nicer ones. I marked "poor" for the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Fred A
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

clean, spacious, beautiful scenery, enjoyed my stay, on top of all that I got an excellent rate!! I just read the other reviews and I was shocked - no problems during my stay. I guess beauty and all other things are in the eye of the beholder.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business