I'm late in writing this review. My husband and I stayed at Bob and Sande's Ocean Breeze Hideaway back in November--over Thanksgiving, to be exact. We love Maui and had a wonderful trip, and it was all the more memorable and special because we chose to stay at the "OBH" (I'll call it that, for short.)
The OBH could also affectionately be called "Bob and Sande's" little piece of heaven. That sounds hokey, but Sande and Bob are really sweet people, and they run a great B&B! Plus, I know their place is popular among many others who've stayed there (it was all the other glowing reviews that helped me choose the place.)
When we arrived our first evening, there were hugs all around as Bob and Sande greeted me and my husband. So welcoming and refreshing! And we continued to feel that aloha spirit--along with great innkeeper professionalism--for the remainder of our stay.
To get to the "meat" of our stay here: we stayed in the Ocean (slightly smaller) room--but we loved it! With this room, we enjoyed two private lanais to choose from--one of them so lush, surrounded by plants, bamboo, grass and a soothing bird bath and fountain. And the other one more functional, with a large outdoor glass dining table, chairs, and beach supplies.
In the Ocean Room, the unique blue tile flooring help keep the feel of the place cool and fresh, and is so much cleaner than carpet, etc. Plus, there's a friendly "shoes off" policy for the room, and that helps keep things cleaner for everyone. The shower-only stall in our bathroom was small, however, it had a rich "spa" feel to it, with it's pretty stone flooring, in place of traditional tile. The bed was comfy all around, and Sande provided us some extra pillows upon request. Also note: our room and bathroom were VERY CLEAN. Fastidiously cleaned. I was impressed (and relieved).
The room also included a microwave, mini fridge, and some dishes, utensils, and sundry items for enjoying food and drink in your room or on one of your lanais. (side note: this room does get a bit crowded with two people plus a week's worth of belongings, so you might have to find some creative storage for any food and other items you want to store around the room.)
Breakfast was amazing. Though OBH is not licensed to prepare "hot foods" (think: eggs, bacon, etc)--you'll never miss it. For one, the warm Maui weather is a better match anyways, for fruit and baked goods. And for another, Sande prepares a mean continental breakfast! We enjoyed a week of breakfasts--none of them ever boring, repetitive or lacking. Just the opposite.
We wolfed down Sande's rotating homemade baked goods, and slurped down the multiple varieties of fruit offered each day. There were also daily basics offered: cereal(s), maybe toast or bagels, several different spreads, and coffee, juice, etc. No one leaves that table hungry! (Another FYI--each morning, you'll dine at the table alongside guests from the other room, if there are any, along with Bob and Sande. Be prepared to "talk story" with the group.)
To summarize, I embarked on the trip happy to stay at the OBH, but secretly drooling over the big-shot resorts like the Fairmont and the Grand Wailea. Yes, comparing these mega resorts to the sweet, humble OBH is like comparing apples to oranges. But by the end of our lovely stay, I believe I had received more cozy ambiance, more opportunity to unwind and actually blend into Maui, than if we had spent four or five times the money to stay at a resort instead. So if the hubby and I ever do get a chance to go back to Maui, we would choose the OBH all over again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our peaceful Maui Bed and Breakfast overlooks Maalaea Bay and is just a 10-minute walk from Maui's longest beach. Enjoy a morning swim or snorkel in calm waters, walk or run along this undeveloped white sand beach. Return to a delicious Island breakfast served on our ocean-view lanai, surrounded by coconut palms and bougainvillea. Take in the view of Maalaea Bay while you enjoy fresh ground coffee and assorted teas; tropical juices, fresh island fruit; granola; muffins, scones and assorted breads; and island jams. We choose locally grown and organic at every opportunity. Maui Bed and Breakfast permit #BBKM 2009/0003 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Ocean Breeze Hideaway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Breeze Hideaway Hotel Kihei
- Ocean Breeze Hideaway Maui/Kihei