“A "Taste of Aloha" in Kihei”

Ocean Breeze Hideaway
Ranked #4 of 16 Kihei B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 June 2008

This last March, my wife and I had the real pleasure of staying with Bob and Sande at their lovely B&B, the Ocean Breeze, in Kihei. This part of our trip to Hawaii was definitely the most memorable for us... The rooms at the Ocean Breeze were cool, comfortable, and quiet, and the breakfasts that were served were ample, healthy (made with natural ingredients), and absolutely delicious! In addition, the Ocean Breeze is centrally-located in Kihei, and the beaches are just a few minutes walk.

We both have wonderful memories of sitting out on the lanai looking out at the ocean and the West Maui mountains, and talking with Bob and Sande over cups of steaming hot Hawaiian-grown coffee. Both Bob and Sande have lived on the Islands for some years and were able to direct us to great local restaurants, exquisite beaches, and little-known hiking trails away from the tourist crowds. My favorite part of our stay, however, was the down-home "Hawaiian-kine" music that Bob played and sang for us--he an inspired musician and is currently studying ukulele with one of the last remaining old-time players on Maui.

In short, our stay at the Ocean Breeze was a surprise and a delight--we are happy to recommend this experience to anyone traveling in the area, and we certainly look forward to our next trip!

Reviewed 24 June 2008

This was such a great experience for us that we referred our son and his fiancee' to this lovely place. They are coming to Ocean Breeze in October for 7 nights on their honeymoon. We found Bob and Sande to be friendly and helpful hosts. The coziness of our room was so special, we just loved it...The garden area just outside our door was wonderful and the singing of the birds we truly enjoyed. And to top it off we were close to the beach area where we jogged every morning. We felt that here we were centrally located for all areas of interest. This was our second time on the Island of Maui and discovered that this is the place we will come back to on our return. The accommodations were clean. The bed was very comfortable. Bob and Sande take special care to make the experience special. Bob is very good at giving directions and suggestions for places to eat and see. The breakfast is a must! Plentiful and healthy we looked forward to eating and visiting every morning. You can see the ocean from the eating area. Another aspect of the home which we appreciated is the privacy Bob and Sande have designed. We could have our window curtains open all the time with the security of privacy. Enjoy!

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 23 June 2008

I recently spent 8 nights at the Ocean Breeze Hideaway. This is my 3rd time staying at this wonderful bed and breakfast. I have stayed in both the Ocean Suite and the Coral Suite. The Coral Suite is the larger of the two rooms but both of them provide the same restful experience I want when I come to Maui. The Coral Suite also has air conditioning which I have never had to turn on because of the pleasant breezes that are typical in south Maui. Each of the rooms has their own lanai (patio) surrounded by a lush, tropical backyard. It is a treat to be able to sit outside in and read and relax in the morning or in the evening enjoy a favorite beverage.

Provided are beach chairs, beach towels, umbrellas, cooler, even coats/jackets for that early morning (and cold) trip to Haleakala. You have your own off-street parking space and private entrance; and a different, delicious, filling, healthy breakfast is served each morning.

The owners, Sande and Bob, take great care in ensuring that you have an enjoyable and comfortable stay on Maui. They are very nice people and both are outstanding resources for things to do and see on Maui. All in all, the Ocean Breeze Hideaway is a great value and the only place I would consider staying when in Maui. I highly recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone seeking a good alternative to the isolated and very expensive hotels in Hawaii.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2008

This is my second stay at Ocean Breeze Hideaway and I will never stay anywhere else on Maui! Bob and Sande are knowledgable and fun hosts with excellent suggestions of things to do on the Island that you might not otherwise hear about in a guidebook. Their service is unobtrusive and perfect. Waking up to the sound of birdsong; having breakfast every morning looking out over the Ocean and eating delicious food with great company is the best way to start a day! (Did I mention the fresh fruit and flowers grown on the property?)

The room is clean and comfortable. They even provide jackets for cold morning trips up to Haleakala, a cooler, beach chairs, etc. It's like being at home while on vacation at the same time. The location in Kihei is also perfectly central for just about every place you want to visit on the Island and just minutes from some of the best beaches in the world.

One thing I truly love is what I call the "Kwan Yin Garden" outside my room, with two fountains and lush landscaping. I have a picture I use as my screensaver that takes me back to Maui and Ocean Breeze every time I look at it. As much as I love the Island and all the things there are to do? I have to admit, some of my best memories are just laying out in the private yard, soaking up the sun, listening to the fountain and birds while reading a good book and relishing the peace and quiet. Perfect place to meditate and just get away from it all.

There is an energy about this place that is unmistakable. Combine that with the great value, super service and location? You can't go wrong with this one!

** I've attached some pix but please note the date was wrong in the camera. These are recent taken in April 2008!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank charlenean
Reviewed 17 June 2008

This was our 7th stay at Ocean Breeze Hideaway in Kihei, Maui. Hosts Sande & Bob are so thoughtful and caring. They share all sorts of stories and tips about Maui.............places to go and see, beaches for snorkeling with the sea turtles, beaches for body surfing, restaurants..........anything you want to know! Both Sande and Bob are wonderful hosts. Both the Ocean and Coral Suites (we've. stayed several times in each) are very clean and comfortable. The showers have great water pressure! The outdoor garden areas are so beautiful and tropical. The island breakfast on the oceanview breakfast lanai is delish! We looked forward to it every morning. We can't wait until our next stay at Ocean Breeze Hideaway next year.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hhcatlady
Reviewed 14 June 2008

After reading the reviews on trip advisor, we booked 5 nights here.

Pros:
* Price
* Nice little garden outside
* Bob was courteous and helpful

Cons:
* Room is worn (1980's?)
* Mattress soft and sags a lot in the middle
* One screen door was broken, making it hard to get in and out
* Breakfast was so/so
* You have to drive everywhere you want to go

We like staying in B&B's. Overall, this one is below average.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank dj4242
Reviewed 17 March 2008

We just returned from over 2 weeks in Hawaii. Maui was our first stop and we spent 6 nights at the Ocean Breeze in the Coral Suite. Bob, our host, was very helpful. It is like having a friend to seek advice from. The room was comfortable and has a private bath. Bob's breakfasts were healthy and delicious. You have beach chairs, umbrella, towels and a cooler at your disposal. This location makes it easy to see all of Maui. The price can't be beat for these accomodations.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ritz22556
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Hale Huanani Bed and Breakfast
Mana Kai Maui
Mana Kai Maui
#3 of 60 in Kihei

Been to Ocean Breeze Hideaway? Share your experiences!