“Long Weekend”
Review of Sugar Beach Resort

Sugar Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 60 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Great place. Stayed in unit #115 and it was fantastic. Updated, clean, and spacious. The beach was 20 feet from the lanai and the water was fabulous. Quiet property. Perfect getaway. Only downside is the distance from downtown Kihei, but wasn't prohibitive. Will definitely return and hopefully stay here again. Highly recommend.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank hoorayfarray
MauiCondoMarina, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Aloha and Mahalo (Thank you) for your review. I am so happy to hear that you had a great stay in unit #115 at the Sugar Beach resort. Having the ocean a few steps from your condo really makes for a special vacation. We are very pleased to hear that the unit was updated, clean and spacious. We do have staff go to each unit before arrival to ensure that everything is cleaned and in working order for the guests arrival. Thank you for highly recommending the Sugar Beach Resort. Please do not hesitate to contact us when planning your next Maui vacation so we can reserve unit #115 for you again or another unit of your liking.
Mahalo, Marina, Maui Condo and Home, LLC.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

We managed to get a "penthouse" condo, a one-bedroom unit on the top floor, at about $150/night; this rate "includes" an Alamo rental car on which more later. I agree with most of the other reviews: these are all older places furnished by their owners, so the décor will vary a lot. Ours smelled a bit sweaty, and the queen bed was made of bricks, but it had plenty of kitchen stuff to play with and the view from the large lanai was awesome. The bedroom is on the street-side and the air conditioner is pretty noisy, so sometimes we could hear the surf but more often either road or A/C noise in the bedroom. The A/C goes off automatically when you open the lanai door, and it also goes warmer at night, so apparently it's all on some centralised control system. They make you sign an agreement on check-in promising to close the door each time you leave, and there are loads of warnings about leaving things locked, so I felt a bit like I needed to be constantly vigilant about security. Most of the other guests were middle-aged paunchy folk like us, so no need to feel embarrassed to turn up at the beach or pool. Aside from the road noise, it was extremely quiet in our unit for the whole week (mid-May 2012).

As for the car-- the package included the base rate, unlimited mileage, sales tax, and one additional driver, but we added extra for collision damage. The first car they gave us (a "free upgrade" because they didn't have any compacts) was a Honda Accord with 24k miles that made horrendous noise; we returned it the next day and got a much newer compact Ford, and the people at Alamo were extremely friendly and helpful about it. It was a great car; we actually enjoyed the 52-mile journey to Hana and back, as well as Haleakala. Skip Lahaina-- all tourist junk and bad restaurants; and Wailea-- streets paved with gold. What happened to all the Hawaiian historic sites that were there 30 years ago on my last trip??

All in all, I think if there's a next time I'd go to another island and look harder at a staying in a hotel with a coffee-maker included. It wouldn't cost more, it would be cleaner and more consistent from room to room.

Room Tip: Stay in a beachfront unit on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank LOL55186361
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Aloha,

I am glad your condo rental + Alamo car rental worked out well for you. We are happy to offer our guests the discounted rates we have with Alamo so they can save on their vacation.
If you plan to visit Maui again in the future, I encourage you to speak with our reservation agents to select a specific unit to your liking and also for tips on visiting beautiful historic sites. We would love to help out!

Reviewed 26 May 2012

The resort is lovely with lush green lawn,plenty of chairs, and nice family atmosphere. The beach is silky soft but the water is not clear so not fun for me to swim. The sound of waves and million $ view kept me from fleeing PH30. The smell was musty mildewy and it was muggy with all the windows closed and LOUD a.c. not cooling the room below 73 degrees. I immediately flung open sliding glass door and did not shut it until check out. Thank goodness I liked the balmy temps because the condo temp was always 73 to 78 degrees 24 7. The towels were OLD, dingy, and wrinkled so I was unsure if they had been washed. I didn't find spare towels until day 4 when I looked inside the dryer. Bed linens are OLD, smelled musty, and when I pulled a blanket from the closet I wanted to gag as it was covered with hair and so filthy. Some of the baseboard tiles in kitchen are falling off. The condo's furnishings, fixtures, wall paper, and paint are old and icky. But the shower was the worst. MILDEWY with dirty grout and thick dusty grime on the fans. I never saw bugs thank goodness. I won't return to this resort.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mol m
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Aloha,
I am glad you enjoyed the Sugar Beach Resort property. I agree the view and ocean-front proximity are unforgettable. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your particular unit. PH30 just recently underwent a new painting, so there is no longer any wall paper that you mentioned. As for the décor, each condo we manage is owned and decorated by the owner. This condo actually features a couple pieces of pricey art on the wall, but perhaps the style is different from your tastes. We have put a note into housekeeping to look at the towels and bedding.
I hope you reconsider staying at the Sugar Beach for a future visit as our reservation staff will gladly send you photos of various unit options so that we can assure you are in the perfect unit that fits your needs.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

I adore Maui and this quick visit was my 10th trip. I generally stay in Kihei or Wailea as I like the laid back vibe and the convenience of all the bars, restaurants, Costco etc (gotta have my creature comforts) This was my first stay at Sugar Beach and I would highly recommend it to travelers looking for a quiet, picturesque setting that is centrally located. I stayed in #326. The unit was well maintained, beautifully furnished and very comfortable. The views were magnificant and the people I met were friendly and helpful. If you're looking for a party, look further down the beach. If you want to be smack dab on the beach, slow it down some for a few days and have a convenient, clean location - this is your spot.

Room Tip: HIgher is better - view is amazing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank LuAnn7777

Aloha and Mahalo Nui Loa (Thank you very much) for your review of Sugar Beach Resort # 326. We are the rental management company for this condo and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself so much. It is very difficult to try new accommodations, especially when you have returned to the same place for so many years. I am glad that you found condo #326 to so well-maintained, beautifully furnished and comfortable as those are some of the top things that we strive to bring to our guests. Thank you for taking the chance with us and we hope to serve you again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance to you.
Mahalo, Marina, Maui Condo and Home, LLC.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

The condo: The sounds of the waves were great. That alone does not make up for the the unit itself. It's completely outdated, smells and was not comfortable. The unit was not clean (our 18 month old daughter dropped her stuffed animal and it landed under the sofa, and it came out with dirt and dead bugs, she also handed me a piece of broken glass, approximately 1 inch, that she found under the entertainment unit). There was a burning smell coming from the light fixture over the dining room table, we did not turn the lights on at night, as it gave us headaches. The unit needs a lot of updates. The condo itself is small (a single bedroom) and left little room for the playpen. We loved to spend time on the patio, but that was short-lived by neighbours smoking on the patios (next door and below). It was so often that we could hardly have the door open.

The grounds: The property itself was not too bad. Well maintained. Would be nice to have a general store on site instead of driving for forgotten supplies or milk for the baby. The pool was alright.

The location- We did not like the location. It was nice being on the beach, but it wasn't the same nice beaches as in Wailea or Ka'anapali (The water was murky). The closest store is 10-15 minutes away. There isn't any stroller friendly areas to walk nearby (the road was way too busy). The bed was hard and not comfortable at all, very difficult to get a good night's sleep.

From what we could tell, there were some nicer units that were well kept, but the one we stayed in was horrible and I would not recommend it to anyone. It didn't feel like a vacation at all. We left far sooner than our expected departure date for a resort in Ka'anapali.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Travellingfamily2007
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Aloha,
I am sorry you had a poor experience at unit 216. We have sent a property manager to investigate the light fixture above the dining room table.

I am sorry that other guests were smoking on the lanai’s. All of the units we manage at Sugar Beach are mandatory non-smoking and as of January 2012 the whole resort has gone non-smoking. I wish you would have let us or the front desk staff know, as we would have addressed the situation. Smoking is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Sorry your family didn’t enjoy the beach. We often hear great reviews of the beach as it is Maui’s longest sandy coastline and perfect for 5-mile beach walks. It sounds like it may have been windy while you were visiting which causes the water to get murky.

We hope your vacation to Maui was still enjoyable and encourage you to give the Sugar Beach Resort another try.

Allan,

Reviewed 1 May 2012

I cannot provide a separate rating for unit and property so the Poor rating should be noted that this is primarily the accommodations, not the property. I will divide my review into 2 sections, The Resort and Unit 134.

The Resort: Located about 10-15 minute drive from Kihei town and activities it is a bit removed. The upside is that it is a more peaceful secluded spot than the Kihei or Wailea areas. It is right on the beach so beachfront is not a term used lightly here. The location is supreme. But the units vary HUGELY in terms of quality. The pool is a decent size pool with no real bells and whistles except plenty of seating can be found both in the sun and in the shade. No competition for sunbathing at least while we were there. The pool rules are very stringent and no play toys are allowed in the pool. Also, no jumping. It makes it a bit tricky for kids and not very kid friendly in that way. In every other way, however they are pretty family friendly. There is a bbq central where there are very nice grills, about 6 of them, for people to cook at and hang out. In the evenings it becomes something of a social gathering place where folks have their wine and cook and chat with people. It's kind of fun, but expect it to be social in that regard. The property also has a little bar/eatery onsight which is nice to have from a convenience standpoint. They have onsight travel agents that were very helpful to us in booking excursions and seeking recommendations for restaurants. They have a yoga studio and massage place onsight as well. So in many ways it's a 'resort' because of these amenities that can be accessed if you want to, but it's a bit out dated in some ways and you can tell it's run by a fairly tight board.

The Unit: #134. I would not stay in this unit and would not recommend it. It was a ground floor unit which was actually pretty wonderful. The linens should have been used as rags ages ago, in fact maybe they were and then reused as linens. The sheets and bedding was in very bad shape and i wont' get into to much detail though i had wished i packed my own. The towels were stringly they were so old and there were little to no amenities in this unit. No beach chairs, toys or anything. I have stayed in condos before and now understand how lucky we were to be in very well appointed units. The interior is drab and cavelike and they have done nothing to make it comfortable. There was also a very big bug problem on our patio, though didn't seem to be as bad on neighboring patios. Could have been because our patio was covered with carpet and others had tile? I'm not sure. But even so, that was weird.

All of that being said it was a very lovely vacation and my review of the accommodations comes from having high standards, but not unmeatable. I have stayed and seen other condos to be able to compare what the level of this one was. Location was great in terms of the layout on the ground floor literally 20 steps to the beach, you could hear the waves smashing even from the bedroom which is in the back of all the units here.

I would stay at Sugar Beach Resort again, but I would no stay in this unit and would in fact be pretty picky about the unit given the age of these condos.

Aloha!

Room Tip: Just try to see pictures of the units. Although note that the furnishing that was showin in the pic...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SarahASeattle
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Thank you for your review of the Sugar Beach Resort. I am glad your overall trip to Maui was enjoyable. We have contacted housekeeping to inspect the towels and linens that were in the 134 ground floor unit. Each one of the units at Sugar Beach Resort is privately owned and we encourage our owners to include beach amenities such as lawn chairs and boogie boards as we know our guests enjoy these features. We will be sure to remind our owners of this request at our next owners meeting.
Mahalo again for your feedback as we strive to make our guest's trip to Maui as enjoyable as possible.
Allan,

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Ladies, you don't have to worry about your bathing beauty figures on this beach. It's all 50+ visitors from the North, white legs and all. There aren't many swimmers or snorkelers, but I do both every day and it's great right off this uncrowded beach. It's quiet, gorgeous, well furnished and well stocked units, and we think it's a great location. (We rent cars with unlimited miles). I accompany my 70+ parents to Maui whenever my schedule and funding allows. We've stayed in beach front one bedroom units at our beloved Sugar Beach Resort twice now, in February 2007 and 2009. Our 2007 10 day stay was perfection. The little grocery store kept us stocked with breakfast cereals. The Lahina outdoor market provided ripe, sugary fruit we crave. We ate out for lunch during our daily travels. We return to the condo for beach side naps listening to the Island sounds on the radio. Then we make a big dinner salad to enjoy as we watch the Maui sunsets. The second time we stayed here there were swarms of little black bugs. They were small enough to fit through the sliding door screens. This was a serious problem. We love to keep the doors open to enjoy the waves but we couldn't that time. We would never go to this resort during the hatch of those bugs again.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a beach front condo. Watch the whales jumping out of the water and blowing...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank inh0gheaven

Aloha and thank you for staying at the Sugar Beach Resort. We definitely appreciate our return guests and want to make sure each return visit is as memorable as the last.

As for the black flies, I am sorry that there was an issue while you were visiting. As you may know, the Kealia Pond Natural Wildlife Refuge is located nearby, which is a treat for nature lovers and bird watchers, as there are many rare birds that can be viewed from hand-crafted walkways. Unfortunately the Natural Refuge does attract insects at times, but usually not to a point that they present a nuisance to our guests.

We hope your stay at the Sugar Beach Resort was still enjoyable and that we will see you again in the future!