“Good location for condo”
Review of Sugar Beach Resort

Sugar Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here aware that the property was dated but the price for a beach front location in Kehei persuaded us. Kehei is central to all locations although does catch the wind. The beach isn't brilliant but can still swim in it and close to a lot of other great beaches. However it is a great beach to walk on in the morning and evenings. The pool is good for all ages and never too busy. Don't forget to walk to the sugar beach bakery each morning for your treats and be first in line for the shaved ice (a must). The rooms are dated but do the job and have everything you need. We splurged on a oceanfront ground floor unit and would say its worth every penny with easy access to the beach, pool and car park your condo feels twice the size. Overall great location and value for money for a beach front property.

Room Tip: Go beachfront ground floor if you can
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jjce
There are newer reviews for Sugar Beach Resort

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our condo was right on the beach, couldn't get any closer which was great. However, there were some downsides. First the beach wasn't all that great for snorkeling as the sand gets kicked up pretty bad near the shore. There's better snorkeling further out but not many people want to go that far out. Also the trade winds are a problem in the afternoon if you want to go paddle boarding. There's no shade spots anywhere on the beach so bring lots of sun screen. One thing I didn't like is that I am a big guy (6 foot 3 235ish) and they rented me a paddle board that they knew was too small for me. There was a larger one already rented that they didn't tell me about. Because of that I looked like an idiot not being able to balance on a paddle board that was too small for me. They were glad to take my money anyway though... The location is pretty good. There's not much in the close vicinity but Kihei is about a 10 min drive away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank TravelingKnight75
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Aloha,
Thank you for staying at the Sugar Beach Resort. I am not sure if you stayed in one of the condos our vacation rental company manages, but glad you enjoyed how close the oceanfront condos are to the ocean. The ideal time for ocean activities on Maui is in the morning before 11 am (whether that be snorkeling, paddle boarding, surfing, swimming, etc.), when the water and winds are at their calmest. Sugar Beach is great for swimming, sunning, catching waves, and walking along the five mile white sand shoreline. There are some great reefs and snorkeling beaches like Ulua Beach within a 12 minute drive.
We hope to see you back at the Sugar Beach Resort again in the future!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed in oceanfront unit 127. Very, very nice condo. Just a few yards to the ocean. Clean, well stocked, full kitchen, plenty of room and warm, cozy decor. The view from the lanai was fantastic. Had breakfast there every morning. The grounds are very nicely maintained. The "Sand Witch" place on the grounds had great food. The location is really great - very quiet, not crowded. Just a few minutes from Kihei town, 30 minutes to Lahaina and 15 minutes from the airport.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

From this location, I was able to travel to most parts of the island with minimal time. The beach is also very long which allowed for my hour long walks every day. Our unit had a great stock of appliances and herbs. There was no daily service but understandable as it is a condo. There were beach towels available and we could use the washer and dryer. There was wi-fi but we had trouble getting the code so we used the one in rooms close by. Food is expensive in Hawaii so even cooking some meals turned out to be more expensive than I had originally thought. The pool is nice and big and warm. Barbecues are available and we did not have to fight to get one. There is a sandwich place onsite as well as an activities help person and a small souvenir shop - so although it is out of town, there are resources on site. Also a small store a out 15 minutes walk away. A great location if you want to explore different beaches and sites and want to exercise.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view but some are partial view so you see the pool and the beach. Others ar...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank A G
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your review of the Sugar Beach Resort. I am not sure if you stayed in one of the condos our vacation rental company manages, but we are glad to hear you took full advantage of the property and amenities. From walking along the five mile beach to barbecuing pool side, it sounds like you had a great time. We hope to see you at the Sugar Beach Resort again.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This resort is located about 10 minutes north of the Kihei city center, and is rather convenient. 15 minutes from Costco. 5 minutes from shopping areas. It is in the valley between the two mountains that form the island of Maui. The resort is literally yards away from the beach. This area is not crowded, even for Maui (as supposed to Waikiki!) There is no direct public access to the beach next to the resort. This means you have the beach practically to yourselves. The water is very calm early in the morning, before 9 o'clock. After that the winds pick up due to being in the valley between the two mountains that form the island. So enjoy paddleboarding before 9am, and windsurf in the afternoon.

We had a unit on the 2nd floor with full ocean view. The unit was well equipped kitchenette and well stocked pantry which helped a great deal when we first arrived. Washer and dryer were also included which was very helpful during the week-long stay. We thank the owner and property manager for that. (Given the size of the condo, it can be noisy to operate the machines.)

There's a cluster of BBQs next to the pool. But know that due to winds, it can take a while to cook.

The only very small issue I had was the front office was not fully helpful. They were very polite and friendly, but it seemed they were there only to check in guests. If you needed something, they'd ask you to call someone else. They rarely answered the phone and didn't call back when you left a message. If you have a question, go to the office and talk in person.

Room Tip: Ground floor or 2nd floor, with ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank threestartraveler
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for your review of the Sugar Beach Resort. It sounds like you enjoyed the condo amenities, ocean views, and easy access to the great white sand beach that fronts the property. I am not sure if you stayed at one of the condos our vacation rental company manages there, but I wanted to clarify your question about the front desk. Condos at the Sugar Beach Resort are managed by various vacation rental companies or by individual owners. So, if a guest has a question regarding the unit itself, such as internet being down, or the dishwasher not working, the guest will be directed to contacting the vacation rental company or condo owner to have them help the guest with an immediate solution. The front desk will help point you in the right direction to resolving your issues promptly.
We hope to see you again at the Sugar Beach Resort!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My Father and his wife were kind enough to pay for my other 2 Brothers, myself and our better halves (although one Brother brought his 19 year old daughter) to Maui for a vacation on June 7 - 14. Though my Father and his wife vacation in Maui quite often, the rest of us have never been to Hawaii before.

WE LOVE MAUI! OMG! This was the greatest trip! We had such a fun time! There was so much to do, we couldn't fit it all into 1 week.

Since we're here to talk about the Condo, let's get rolling on that. When we all arrived we were given our welcome packets which included codes to our rooms and to the pool. When my wife and I stepped into our 1 Bedroom Condo, we were extremely happy! It was beautiful! It had a nice sized comfortable bed, open family room to the kitchen and all upgraded appliances. It even had a stackable W&D which we used quite a bit. After we unpacked, we met the family downstairs and my Brother asked, "does your sofa pull out into a sleeper?" I said, "I didn't think to look." We walked back up and sure enough, it did. Well, when we looked at the paperwork, they had given me my Brother's paperwork and he got mine. He obviously wanted to give his daughter the bedroom so instead of sleeping on the couch, the needed the sleeper sofa. So, we had to move all of our stuff from 1 room to the other (that sucked..). After exchanging condos, the new condo wasn't near as nice as the previous one. They were both clean but the previous condo had a TV in the bedroom, more space in the shower, more tile than carpet, etc...The office knew that my Brother requested the sleeper and provided it but they handed us the wrong paperwork when they finished checking us in.

I give great praise to the Concierge! I can't remember her name but she hooked us up at all times! She knew all of the great beaches, where the grocery store was (Safeway, which was only a few miles down the road) and restaurants all the way up to Lahaina and down to Wailea; she even booked our excurssions with excellent companies for snorkeling and parasailing.

We enjoyed the pool too. It was never crowded but the group that was there was a lot of fun.

If had had to rate 1 area of a disappointment, I'd have to give it to the onsite restaurant/sandwhich shop. Though the Bartender was very nice, the food was pretty bad. They had run out of chicken and I think fish. There weren't many other options for us. We were a little disappointed but managed to get most of what we ordered, down.

Other than that, the grounds were well taken care of, the BBQ's were clean and we BBQ steaks out there 1 night and there was plenty of parking as well.

I would highly recommend Sugar Beach Resort for anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay. This isn't a 5-star hotel but it's very comfortable.

Room Tip: We traveled between Lahaina & Wailea most of the time so this location was perfect for us! Make...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Although they were working on the parking garage nearby, we had no complaints about noise. We stayed on the 4th floor right on the ocean. The view of the ocean couldn't get any better. The beach was literally 50 feet from our place. The condo had everything we needed with no frills. The grounds are well kept with plumeria trees everywhere giving off amazing fragrance. The pool and hot tub are superb. We'd definitely go back!

Room Tip: Most rooms have ocean view, so you're okay just about anywhere.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple