Sugar Beach Resort
US$476
AscendHotels
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssandwich shopocean frontsand witchplantation buildinghot tubthe kitchencentral locationoceanfront condowasher and dryerbbq areacheck in was easyevery morningtravel agentsound of the wavesnorth kiheigeneral storeabc store
Modesto, California
Reviewed 1 July 2005

We just got home and I'm still in a Maui state of mind. After much research, I was most impressed with the beach picture on the main page. I wanted to see it for myself. And see it I did. My husband, two teenage daughters and I stayed in room 425, an ocean front condo, and it was perfect. The condo was clean (carpets had just been shampooed) and had everything (including an ice chest that came in handy). We had breakfast on the lanai every morning and barbequed dinner one night. The grounds, pool, barbeque area and beach are immaculate. It was quiet, the people were friendly, and the beach wasn't crowded.

A couple of tips we got from locals: Snorkle at McKenna beach. It's 15 minutes south of Kihei, a beautiful sheltered cove/beach, and tons of fish. There were a couple of guys renting kyaks which worked out perfectly for my husband and my youngest. They were able to float along with my oldest and me while we snorkeled. In addition to us, there were about five other people. We basically had the place to ourselves. There are restrooms and a place to rinse off. Take a lunch.

If you are a little more adventurous, behind the Safeway in Lahaina is a place called Mala Ramp. It's an old pier that has partially collapsed and we were told that in addition to the tropical fish, it's a place where turtles and sand sharks (or some kind of small harmless sharks) hang out. The girls were a little intimiated so we just watched.

Gabby's for lunch in Lahina is a place where locals eat. The pizza rolls were terrific (they also have sandwiches, salads, and pizza), low prices, and no wait. E-Z discount stores in Lahina have the best prices (lower than the ABC stores) for all the Hawaiian junk you just have to have.

Bada Bing is another local place, this time in Kihei, and it's right next to a charming little outdoor shopping village where you can get more reasonably priced Hawaiian stuff.

There's a Safeway right up the road where you can use your Safeway card but we did most of our shopping at Foodland in Kihei. Again, it's where locals shop and the prices were a bit lower than Safeway.

We went to Kaanapoli one day and couldn't leave fast enough. If you're looking for high priced resorts and packed beaches that's where you want to be.

Recommended activities: Take a snorkeling boat trip to Molikini and go parasailing. Magical.

If you are driving to Lahaina or Kannapoli make sure you leave yourself plenty of time. Although Lahaina is only about 15 miles away, and Kaanapoli 5 miles further, we never got above 30mph. No one seems to be in much of a hurry.

You can tell we had a great time, Sugar Beach is a great resort, and we're already planning a trip during Christmas.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

27  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Menlo Park, CA
Reviewed 28 June 2005

Thank you Tripadvisor travellers for your VERY helpful feedback about Sugar Beach. I truly based my reservations off of them since I had never been to Maui. Condo was clean and had every appliance for the kitchen imaginable (even a juicing machine). Pool was sparkling clean, rooms were good sized and area was ALWAYS clean and quiet. Don't base your opinion off the Expedia pool pics, they don't do the pool justice. This is not a party location, perfect to unwind. Had planned a list of activities but found ourselves parked on the beach (literally down the stairs, a stone's throw away), or by the pool instead, enjoying Maui from the resort itself. We noticed most condo's/hotels in Kihei were located across the street from the beach. Since South Kihei Road is ALWAYS busy, we were pleased to be located at a beachfront property. Sugar Beach is just outside of the main downtown Kihei area and bordered by wildlife protected land so it is gorgeous and much quieter then the busy downtown (about a 10 minute walk from Sugar Beach). We booked a partial ocean view room (#312) and found it to be MUCH more ocean view than we could even imagine. People are friendly, area feels very safe. Sugar Beach is about 2 miles from the Maui Ocean Center (Aquarium?) in Ma'alea. Go to the Ma'alea Grill for a nice dinner -order the seafood tower and Maui onion soup - to die for!

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Louisville, Colorado
Reviewed 21 June 2005

We recently spent 5 days at Sugar Beach and were quite pleased. Our 1-bedroom oceanfront condo was really well equipped and comfortable. Our lanai had a lovely view. We found the property relaxing and quiet and appreciated being a few minutes away from town and the crowds.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 June 2005

We stayed at Sugar Beach Resort from 30 May-8 June 2005. I thought it was perfect. I had never booked a condo before so I was alittle nervous. I loved it. The location is great for exploring Maui. The condo was wonderful. The place was spacious, clean and had everything we needed. Plenty of parking. We had an oceanfront, 2nd floor condo and the views were amazing. If you want to relax, Sugar Beach is quiet. If you want to go out, anything you need or want to do is a short drive away.

• Stayed: May 2005
8  Thank slj
Reviewed 12 June 2005

Aloha: We just got back from Sugar Beach. We were extremely happy with this resort. We stayed in PH32-oceanfront awesome view. If you were any closer to the water you would be in it! The grounds were clean and well kept. The BBQ was scrubbed every morning, and the pool cleaned. Even the elevator smelled good. When we were leaving, they were spraying for bugs, so they are on top of any bug issue (which is all over the island).
The condo had EVERYTHING you needed to enjoy your stay. Sand chairs, coolers, hair dryer, towels, kids sand toys, snorkeling gear, paper cups, tin foil, plastic containers, books, games, videos, C.D's (every condo is differently stocked). If you want a nice family vacation, with all the comforts of home, and don't want to tip everyone you come in contact with this is your place!
We spent the day at Kaanapali Sheraton (my dad's timeshare) and we had to fight for lounges by the pool, stand in line to get towels, bump into people while swimming, it sucked!! Some ppl even got up at 5am to get their spot by the pool...if that's your kinda vacation go for it! For me and my family, we will be RELAXING on our vacation at Sugar Beach~Doing the local thing, swimming on the beach with the locals, eating at reasonably priced places, and avoiding tourist traps like Kaanapali and Wailea~Aloha!

• Stayed: June 2004