My wife and I stayed at Sugar Beach twice several years ago. We had "Ocean View" and also "Ocean Front" units. Both were quite nicely furnished. The ocean front unit was a bit musty upon arrival but opening the windows and airing the place out cured that.
The beach out front is awesome. We snorkeled and swam every day we were there from it. Didn't encounter much in the way of rocks if at all. And you can get a beautiful early morning walk as the sun comes up. At no time did we experience traffic noise in either unit.
It was a relaxing place for us. If you want non-stop night-life go to Oahu and "The Strip" in Honolulu. Our decision to go to Maui was for the more tranquil lifestyle. Right next to Sugar Beach is a great lobster restaurant (also ribs and happy hour). And there's a windsurfer/hobycat/kayak rental a stones' throw away.
Best place to shop for food was Starmarket although Foodland had a better fish selection.
Both of these places are about 5 minutes away by car. Safeway was a tad expensive.
You're going to pay more for groceries on Maui than you would back home. But if you shop wisely you'll do quite well.
We were thoroughly happy with Sugar Beach which is why we went 2 years in a row there. It does get windy in Kehei at times but this isn't limited to Sugar Beach.
The condo story seems to be the same no matter where you go. You could get a good unit or you could get a dump regardless of where it is.
It would be a shame if the whole place has gone downhill since we were there because it really was a nice place to stay for us. The location is very good as opposed to some other condos in Kihei where you have to cross the road to get to the beach or they are in fact right on the edge of a busy thoroughfare (down towards Kamaole area).
The beach out front of Sugar Beach is, as I said, excellent.
Based on our experience I would definitely go there again. I would recommend upper floor ocean front as having a morning coffee on the lanai is a beautiful experience on most days. Our beds were quite nice,we had "air", everything worked well. Most days we didn't use the elevators....preferring to get the leg workout on stairs. But when we did they worked. Sugar Beach is not close to the airport (which for me is a plus). You have to drive to the north side of the island and Sugar Beach is located on the south side. But this means you don't get the jet take-off noise much...although you will see them up in the sky frequently but they are so high up by then the noise is very minimal.
Sidenote: excellent snorkeling can be had at mile-marker 14 on the road to Lahaina.Very popular. But I snorkeled out front of Sugar Beach and saw a large turtle which I swam for a distance with. Also a school of small Rays plied the shoreline quite frequently. Some spots are a little deep for snorkeling and SCUBA would be a better bet. The locals fish with surf-rods right off the beach just down a ways from the resort.
We're going to Kauai this year...but after reading the reviews about the often unswimmable beaches there and the general "hit or miss" approach on the condos, I'm already thinking maybe I made the wrong choice and should go back to Maui again. And if I did, Sugar Beach would be at the top of my list.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach Resort is an all inclusive, quiet and well located ocean front condo hotel. Each unit is individually owned. The resort is managed by the homeowner's association/Hawiiana Management.The 214 units are ocean front, ocean view, garden view on 5 acres of lush tropical beach front. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sugar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Beach Resort Condos Hotel Kihei
- Sugar Beach Resort Maui/Kihei
- Sugar Beach Maui