“Liked Sugar Beach very much.....”
Review of Sugar Beach Resort

Sugar Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 60 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed 16 July 2006

My wife and I stayed at Sugar Beach twice several years ago. We had "Ocean View" and also "Ocean Front" units. Both were quite nicely furnished. The ocean front unit was a bit musty upon arrival but opening the windows and airing the place out cured that.
The beach out front is awesome. We snorkeled and swam every day we were there from it. Didn't encounter much in the way of rocks if at all. And you can get a beautiful early morning walk as the sun comes up. At no time did we experience traffic noise in either unit.
It was a relaxing place for us. If you want non-stop night-life go to Oahu and "The Strip" in Honolulu. Our decision to go to Maui was for the more tranquil lifestyle. Right next to Sugar Beach is a great lobster restaurant (also ribs and happy hour). And there's a windsurfer/hobycat/kayak rental a stones' throw away.
Best place to shop for food was Starmarket although Foodland had a better fish selection.
Both of these places are about 5 minutes away by car. Safeway was a tad expensive.
You're going to pay more for groceries on Maui than you would back home. But if you shop wisely you'll do quite well.
We were thoroughly happy with Sugar Beach which is why we went 2 years in a row there. It does get windy in Kehei at times but this isn't limited to Sugar Beach.
The condo story seems to be the same no matter where you go. You could get a good unit or you could get a dump regardless of where it is.
It would be a shame if the whole place has gone downhill since we were there because it really was a nice place to stay for us. The location is very good as opposed to some other condos in Kihei where you have to cross the road to get to the beach or they are in fact right on the edge of a busy thoroughfare (down towards Kamaole area).
The beach out front of Sugar Beach is, as I said, excellent.
Based on our experience I would definitely go there again. I would recommend upper floor ocean front as having a morning coffee on the lanai is a beautiful experience on most days. Our beds were quite nice,we had "air", everything worked well. Most days we didn't use the elevators....preferring to get the leg workout on stairs. But when we did they worked. Sugar Beach is not close to the airport (which for me is a plus). You have to drive to the north side of the island and Sugar Beach is located on the south side. But this means you don't get the jet take-off noise much...although you will see them up in the sky frequently but they are so high up by then the noise is very minimal.
Sidenote: excellent snorkeling can be had at mile-marker 14 on the road to Lahaina.Very popular. But I snorkeled out front of Sugar Beach and saw a large turtle which I swam for a distance with. Also a school of small Rays plied the shoreline quite frequently. Some spots are a little deep for snorkeling and SCUBA would be a better bet. The locals fish with surf-rods right off the beach just down a ways from the resort.
We're going to Kauai this year...but after reading the reviews about the often unswimmable beaches there and the general "hit or miss" approach on the condos, I'm already thinking maybe I made the wrong choice and should go back to Maui again. And if I did, Sugar Beach would be at the top of my list.

• Stayed: September 2002
15  Thank Cranstel

Reviewed 9 July 2006

Our stay at Sugar Beach Resort couldn't have been more perfect. Although we spent are days travelling around Maui, we cherished are mornings and evenings at our condo the most. Waking up and going to sleep with the waves crashing on the beach. The sunsets from the lanai were beautiful. My fiance enjoyed the barbecue area as he got to meet alot of people there. Getting up early, drinking our Tim Hortons coffee (we brought with us) on our lanai and watching the Outriggers Canoe Club go by, was truly our favorite. There is so much to do in Maui, try to relax while your there. We will stay at Sugar Beach again.

• Stayed: April 2006
10  Thank mac_da
Reviewed 28 June 2006

I've just returned from a week's stay at Sugar Beach Resort (6/12/06-6/19/06) and I'm already planning my return trip next year. I stayed in room #113 and it was everything I hoped that it would be. The condo was exceptionally clean and well maintained. The thing I enjoyed most was opening the screen doors off the lanai and really taking in the wonderful view and sounds of the ocean. We swam at the beach and in the pool daily, the front office was very helpful in setting us up with snorkel gear and boogie boards, they even provided a map and circled all of the recommended places. Although we took day trips to Wailea, Lahaina and Kaanapalli we found that Sugar Beach had everything we needed, I would have been content to spend every minute of the trip there.

I'm definately going back and I hope #113 is available, it really was perfect!

• Stayed: June 2006
9  Thank tealeigh
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 June 2006

We will never ever, ever stay there again! (unit #318) We were both very disappointed in this resort to say the least. As we opened the door to walk in for the first time we were hit by the very strong pungent odor or must and mildew. The entire place smelled awfull and that just set the pace for the entire stay. The place was dirty and all the dishes smelled of must and mildew as well. My wife wouldn't even drink out of a glass because it smelled so bad. The shower had mold and mildew all in it and the bed sheets were awfull!! I read on the net where it said the resort had luxury linens. This is complete B.S. The bed spread had white stains all over it and I had to get a musty smelling blanket out of the closet to put on the bed because it was so dirty. Sleeping on the bed was like sleeping on a rock and I actually thought of sleeping on the couch instead. The ocean ouside our lanai was awful as well. The water was dirty and I hardly ever saw anyone in it. The wind blew so hard that you really couldn't even stay outside to enjoy the sound of the waves coming in while everywhere else was calm and perfect. We had to get up and drive to a beach everyday so we could actually enjoy the water. The outside hallways need to be powerwashed and the corridors are very dirty as well. There was no soda machine anywhere at the resort and we had to go to the sandwich shop to get a soda which was no problem but the cost of the soda was $2.75 which ws rediculous. We went to one of the nicest resorts one day and didn't pay that much. If your 50 years old, dont care about getting in the ocean, dont mind dirty sheets, the smell of must and mildew and an extremely dirty place then this is the place for you. I could go on and on about this place but I wont say anymore. If you DONT want to stay in dirty place and want the best for your buck then you need to look elsewhere. You won't find us there again.

• Stayed: June 2006
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 May 2006

Just got home from Sugar Beach Resort and it was really hard to leave. The beach is beautiful, the condo was clean and nice, and the weather was great. # 214 was just painted and remodeled, the kitchen was new and clean and had everything we could want. The sound of the surf put us to sleep every night and the view was terrific. We plan to keep going back to Sugar Beach Resort for years to come.

• Stayed: May 2006
9  Thank travelfam22
Reviewed 11 May 2006

We just returned from our visit at Sugar Beach Resort. I found the resort to be very relaxing, This is not a place for lively partying. A quaint hideaway for just married couples but avoid if you are young and expect a party! Don't be surprised if the resort is quiet by 8:30 PM! However, mixed ages can enjoy the little bar on the property. Dina's makes a great plate of nachos and even better drinks. In addition, you will find that everyone in the place has a great time and you make friends quickly. Another plus for a memorable trip.

The property has a nice hot tub and clean pool and ground facilities. We enjoyed grilling at the gas grill area and enjoyed our meal on the lanai.

The beachfront is beautiful and rarely crowded. My husband saw a turtle and huge fish while snorkeling not too far out.

I suggest requesting a higher floor which lends a nice view. Our condo was clean and sufficient for our needs. Be prepared to supply your own condiments, paper goods, etc. as if you were at home (the joys of condo living!). And, keep in mind groceries are NOT cheap in Maui! If you don't have a Costco membership, expect to pay more than at home. We still found it cheaper than going out each night.

I would definitely visit again and suggest this property. Our weather in early May was a little disappointing. It was cloudy and rainy for three days (I didn't anticipate this); however, the last few days were beautiful (as you would expect it to be).

For a nice afternoon snorkel trip, I suggest that you try the Pride of Maui afternoon snorkel cruise. The crew and amenities made the trip memorable!

• Stayed: May 2006
10  Thank GD64
A TripAdvisor Member
Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2006

The grounds are lovely, the beach is great, and snorkeling is right out the door, but the accommodations leaves you flat. Getting a good condo is a hit and miss proposition. Some have been updated, some haven't. If you have allergies or anyone has asthma, (our air conditioning unit really needs to be cleaned) you may want to consider somewhere else. If you are going to use the fold out beds, bring your own air mattress and sleep on the floor instead. The room we ended up in needed a new bed and a new fold out bed. For the price you can spend a couple of dollars more and get a better deal at a newer place. The kitchens were well equipped, but if you want to go out for dinner you have to drive. (There is a restaurant on site but stands out more of a bar than anything else.) If you want to go for a walk with a stroller or wheel chair you need to drive somewhere else first. Not a great place for small children or people with disabilities. There are steps up into each condo unit and to get to the pool there are several stairs. Also the resort is located right on a busy highway. If you a looking for piece and quite make sure you get an ocean front room. The partial ocean view will have the traffic noise right in your room. (Turned in such away that you can see the road and therefore it is VERY NOISY).

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member