“Great spot for a family!”
Review of Palms at Wailea

Palms at Wailea
Ranked #13 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Calgary
“Great spot for a family!”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We traveled to Kihei, Hawaii for ten days in January with my grandparents and my two small children. After learning online that many of the rooms had a fairly large set of stairs to climb to gain entry I was nervous that my grandparents (aged 73 and 79) would struggle with climbing them daily. I called the hotel 2 weeks before our trip and explained my situation. They happily moved us to a ground floor room. Once we got there we had a great stay. There was more than enough room for the six of us, with a nice and well equipped kitchen and an amazing Lanai with a view of the ocean and a barbecue. It was very nice to be able to have some meals at the condo, since my two year old doesn't always do well eating in restaurants. The pool area was great, clean, and fully fenced. The ONLY negative for me was that our lanai was open right out onto a steep hill, with a small (albeit beautiful) pond at the bottom. My two year old tried multiple times to run down the hill and we had to frantically chase him down before he reached the pond area. After a day or two of getting in trouble each time he did he stopped, but I was regularly nervous that he'd be able to open the sliding door and take off without any of us noticing. Their concierge service was awesome, and the room service staff was really great. Our room was clean and well maintained, even though the decor is a little outdated. We have family who live in Kihei and have traveled there many times - so far this was the best combination for us of fit for our young family, location, cleanliness, and service.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cara B
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Aloha Cara and Mahalo for sharing your valuable observations about your experience here at the Outrigger Palms at Wailea. I was particularly please to hear your last statement that this was the best ‘combination for your family’ as we agree that our resort is well suited for multi-generational vacation travel. You reminded the readers that our rooms are spacious, well equipped and even have propane BBQ’s on all lanais. I was also please to hear that the staff was able to arrange to provide you with a ground floor unit that allows for easy access to the lovely grounds. I was also happy to hear that our concierge service was able to assist you with all the wonderful things to do here on Maui. Mahalo for all of your kind words and valuable informaton. We look forward to your next visit with us. Mahalo. Matt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Korean first
Cheyenne, WY
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My family has been coming to the Palms since 2010 and we continue to come back every year. We love this place! The views are usually great, and the staff is always pleasant. There was a bit of construction this year (resurfacing the parking lot), but one cannot fault them for maintaining the property. This year is the first time we had to complain, and the staff corrected the matter QUICKLY and properly.

A word of advice, AVOID unit 203 like the plague unless you enjoy a view of an old ugly Suburban! That was the view we had and complained about. We were moved to unit 1002 for the remainder of our two week stay and it was lovely! Thanks Outrigger Palms at Wailea for always making our visit wonderful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Aloha Deej93. We are pleased to hear that you enjoy returning to our resort year after year as we thrive off of the affirmation from our many returning guests. I was also relieved to sense your kokua (understanding) of the Homeowners Associations efforts to keep the property in good shape and I am happy to report that the parking lot paving project is now finished. This was the 3rd and final large project (exterior painting and re-roofing were the other two) and we are happy to report that the property/grounds are in great shape and no other large projects are scheduled. I am also happy to report that the large vehicle in front of 203 has been moved and will be returned to its more permanent storage spot now that the paving is compete. Additionally, I’m happy that the staff found another unit that pleased you as we want everyone to thoroughly enjoy their very valuable vacation with us. Mahalo for taking the time to express your appreciation of our efforts and your kind review with the Trip Advisor readers. Matt
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed in a two-bedroom ocean view condo room. It was spotless inside and well equipped - everything from your kitchen utensils to the Beach Chairs in the closet. We never tired of the beautiful ocean view from the living room or the lanai. The pool was always spotless and pool towels were always plentiful. The Concierge at the desk were always very helpful and knowledgeable. It was less than a 10 minute walk to the beach and every morning we would make the trek to the Marriott to buy our Starbucks coffee and then walk back along the beach. Further down were all the other high end priced hotels; still close enough to do some looking around and some shopping. The Shops at Wailea were great and not expensive. Everything about the grounds at the Outrigger Palms were absolutely spotless. We have never been on vacation to a resort, less an entire island that was always so clean and well kept. We found the Outrigger Palms to be resonably priced and after looking at other properties in Kihei and Kaanapali area, we would definitely come back here to Wailea. Not only is it the sunniest spot in Maui but the most beautiful. Big Beach is only a ten minute drive away and by far the best beach in Maui. When we return, and we will be back soon, we will choose the Outrigger Palms again.

2 Thank Terri O
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Aloha Terri O. Your kind words and keen observations touches as we are so proud of our island resort. In particular I know that the housekeeping staff will be pleased to hear that their efforts were rewarded with such high praise. You went on to articulate a very nice travelogue of the south Maui area and I am sure that other guest will enjoy your observations. You found one of our treasures as, very near our resort is beautiful Wailea Beach walk (path) which goes to the south and then the Keawakapu Beach walk (sand) going to the north. Big Beach in Makena is a much more natural setting and we agree that it is a stunning... although one needs to be cautious when entering the water as the crashing waves are both beautiful and powerful. Finally, we are affirmed that you found great value here and know that the same will be true on your next visit. Mahalo. Matt
Mahopac, New York
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This is the third Outrigger we've stayed at and it did not disappoint. First, the location is fantastic and I can't emphasize that enough. You are so close to beautiful beaches, attractions, shopping and restaurants there is no need to drive far distances once situated. The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient. We had a second floor unit and it was beautifully decorated, had great appliances and several upgrades. The lanai was spacious and it was quiet outside.
One thing to note, we were initially checked into a different unit for the first night. At first I overlooked the lack of pride the owner took in maintaining the unit. Everything appeared original, it was screaming for a paint job and the overall decor and furniture resembled the uniform color of oatmeal. (unit 2204). There were other issues too but after a rough night with a poorly working AC unit in the bedroom I expressed my frustrations to the front desk and they were responsive and offered us a different unit which we loved. So, as other reviewers have mentioned, units can differ and if you have issues with yours- speak up!

Room Tip: If you prefer a second floor unit there aren't elevators so be prepared to haul your luggage and...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Aloha Heidi D and Mahalo for sharing your observations of our property with the Trip Advisor readers. We are pleased to hear that you found the location to be well suited for your vacation plans. I am also happy that you noticed the efforts of the Home Owners Assocaition as they are very proud of their slice of paradise and they mean to be good stewards of this 10 acre property. Additionally, and equally important, was your comments about the staff. Although we strive to get it right from the beginning, if by chance the unit selected for you does not live up to your expectations, we usually have some other options for you to consider and I am pleased that the staff found a unit that you loved. Finally, we like the feedback about our units as it is very usefully information for the owner and we will use this to better the expertience for others. With your favorable review, we look forward to your next visit with us. Mahalo. Matt
Kapaa, Hawaii
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Nice surprise. Beautiful large condos, friendly staff and a Wailea address at a great value. Try this resort you will love it. Grounds immaculate, and so peaceful and quiet. These condos are fully stocked, clean, beautiful lanai's with BBQ, table chairs. Has everything you could possibly need. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: All are great and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eric N
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Aloha John D. We are so pleased to hear your kind words as it is our goal to exceed our guest expectations. You recognized many things that are important to us and we know these are the elements of a very nice vacation. You also recognized the great value of our property and we agree that it is a 'Wailea property at a Kihei price'. We look forward to your return visit. Mahalo. Matt
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We were very pleasantly surprise how nice Outrigger Palms was. We were greeted with a friendly, helpful staff and had an oceanview condo. This condo had a fully stocked kitchen and beach chairs, mats and umbrella's were provided. You are close to everything with many great beaches. I would suggest Wailea Beach, Makena State Park Beach. This place is quiet we normally go to Kannapali but after visiting Kannapali we all agreen Wailea feels more like a vacation. Kannapali have tons of people everywhere. You are better off just visiting Kannapalai. The condo was big and spacious and just a great feeling all around. Couples, Kids would all love this place

Room Tip: try to get a ocean view room
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Mahalo for taking the time to comment about your recent stay here with us. We certainly appreciate your kind words and others will value your recommendations. I believe that you have captured some key points about our hospitality, our accommodations as well as the Wailea Resort. Mahalo for sharing this with the Trip Advisor readers.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 March 2013

As a first-time visitor, it's always difficult to choose a home base; you're faced with choosing a home away from home in a place you've never visited before. My husband and I have traveled alot, and we've made some good and some not-so-good choices. For us, the Outrigger Palms at Wailea was a very good choice.

The location, on the border betweem Wailea's swanky resorts and Kihei's more beachy downscale condos and hotels, was central to everything we wanted to do on Maui. The immediate neighborhood was upscale and gorgeously landscaped, and we felt very moved in, like locals, within the first day.

Everything we wanted to do was a short drive away, from the history of Lahaina to snorkeling and whale watching tours out of Ma'alaea Harbor. Great restaurants were plentiful, but so were less costly family friendly choices in Kehei.

In a condo development as large as the Palms, I'm sure the individual units vary, so I can only tell you about the experience in our particular unit - #404. Through Orbitz, we booked a package deal - airfare, condo and rental car. Our package included a one bedroom/two bath garden view unit. A few days after booking we were advised that a one bedroom was unavailable, but the Palms would offer a two-bedroom for the same price. No problem there. Because A/C is only included in the master bedroom, I called after booking to request A/C throughout the condo. There's an additional charge of $20/day, but to keep peace with the hubby I felt the extra cost was worth it. When I called about the A/C I mentioned that we were celebrating my husband's 50th birthday and our 20th anniversary. I'm guessing this is why when we checked in, our condo was not garden view, but ocean view.

The condo itself was lovely. #404 is a 2nd floor condo (no elevator - be prepared to carry luggage up a flight of stairs - with a wonderful lanai (patio) overlooking the grounds. We were just steps to the pool and hot tub, and made good use of each.

We had no use for the 2nd bedroom, but if you do, it's a nice sized room with a murphy bed. If you've got kids they'd love it. Both bathrooms are very nice. The 2nd bathroom - which my husband got by default, is a very traditional 3-piece with sink/toilet/tub/shower. The master bathroom in our unit had a big old bathtub sort of in the bedroom, A little weird, but also kind of cool. It had a huge marble countertop with a sink, as well as a separate room with the toilet and walkin shower.

The kitchen. What can I say about the kitchen? I'm a cook, and I really like a nice kitchen, so I'm torn here. Every single thing I needed to make a cocktail, breakfast, lunch, was close at hand. The appliances are a million years old, and yet everything worked perfectly. What I'm trying to say is, don't be put off by an 80's kitchen. The fridge is old, the oven/microwave even older, but they all function well. The dishwasher is newer, and also works well.

Sheets are good; towels are good and ample. Pillows are less than wonderful, but I'm picky and I travel with my own, so I don't care. And my husband, who is blissfully less picky, slept like a baby.

Lastly, and probably of no interest to anyone but me and the hubby, the birdwatching on the property is surprisingly good, with 10 or 12 new to us birds running around the grounds. More importantly to most of you, the concierge at the condo was wonderful, finding us luau tickets at a moment's notice. The pool was just lovely, and even when the pool area was busy the pool itself felt very private.

Bottom line: Great location, great condo, great vacation. If I could have my cats shipped here, and if I could win the lotttey, I'd never move!

Room Tip: We really liked the 2nd floor, as it seemed more private.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kimsez
Aloha and Mahalo for providing a very thorough review of our resort, our individually owned accommodations along with your kind words of support. I believe that you have done a good job in capturing some key points about what we offer. A word of clarification for the Trip Advisor readers... generally speaking our second bedroom has twin beds which can be pushed together to a King (if requested) and all of our condos have sofa sleeper... and so you are correct in that we are a great property for families as our 2 bedroom unit can accommodate up to 6 persons. We were thrilled that you chose our property for your birthday/anniversary celebration and look forward to your second visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Kaanapali Shores
Aston Kaanapali Shores
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Palms at Wailea? Share your experiences!