“Holiday”

Ranked #13 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Clarenville, Canada
“Holiday”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Great lots of room 2bedrooms and 2bathroom great view.people very friendly and helpful to arrange tours for us. Let us stay there all day the day we left. Door pick up for plane ride back home. Everyone very helpful and friendly

Room Tip: Check with travel agent
7 Thank Debbie E
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Aloha Debbie and Mahalo for your kind words.
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious accommodations and that all the staff was helpful. Additionally, I was please to hear that we were able to extend the checkout time as, if space allows, we maybe able to extend the checkout time… however, in certain situations, there maybe an additionally fee. We look forward to your next visit. Matt Swartz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Korean first
Fairbanks
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I will start with the positive....
Very large units and great lanais. The staff at the front was very nice, parking was plentiful even with all units sold out.This area of Maui is absolutely gorgeous.
The pool is pretty but small. The lounge chairs are the typical plastic and metal which work just fine.
The units are individually owned and so the decor and set up on the insides vary quiet a bit. (We had two other parties with us so I got to see three different units) All three units were VERY dirty. Very very dirty.
The two other parties condos had sugar ants, which is common in Hawaii. When they talked to the front about it they were handed small ant traps. This didn't stop the problem and they were told someone would come and spray but this never happened. At other condo owned places I have stayed at prior, they would come immediately and spray and I would never have the problem again for the duration of my stay.
Everything is outdated and our Queen bed was so noisy. Anytime my husband or I would move slightly we would wake the other. It was awful. My husband is a heavy sleeper and it still woke him.
Did I mention it was VERY VERY dirty.
They have great sliding glass windows that open almost a whole wall but the tracks and screens were so dirty that my kids feet would be black if they stepped on them. All window seals were corroded with dirt.
If they did a TON of cleaning and some updating these would be awesome to stay at.
I do not recommend you stay here. There are plenty of beautiful places to stay at in Maui. I've even stayed at an Outrigger owned place before and it was well taken care of. I'm not sure why Outrigger has let this place go so far down hill. Very sad.

Stayed December 2013
9 Thank kellylmm
Aloha Kelly.
I was pleased that you posted this before you left as I was then able to meet with you to discuss your concerns.
I would just like to take a moment to make sure that all of the TripAdvisor reader know that Management is people who usually really care about what they do and want the best for you and to that degree, I highly encourage that if anyone is not pleased with their accommodations that they let management know as we are often able to make a difference. For example, as soon as I heard about your unhappiness with the King bed box springs and before the review was posted, I personally went out and purchased a new box springs as I agreed with your assessment and within one day the problem was resolved. I also heard your unhappiness with the housekeeping and was able to let you know that the carpet was cleaned just before you arrived. Your unhappiness with housekeeping centered on some areas that admittedly were not ones that housekeeping attends to on a regular basis as they are ‘indoor/outdoor’ areas. That said I have elevated your observation for housekeeping so that we could do a better job in the future.
I’m sorry that we did not please you but hope that, because of our discussion, you will return as I am confident that your next experience here will be much better. Mahalo for your valuable feedback.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 December 2013

It was one of the best stays we ever had. At check-in we got a room upgrade to a two bed-room unit. It was upstairs as we had asked for. It was a very large unit with a very good equipped kitchen. The lanai was very big. A table and chairs and sunbeds as well. It was very quiet. The staff was very friendly. The courtyard and garden were very well-tended and very lovely with palm trees and other flowers and plants. The pool was very nice as well. The pool had very clean water and the surrounding plants were very lovely. I would have liked to stay longer. And I would definitively stay here again whenever I am in Maui.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Aloha Pika.
We are pleased that you found us as we are on the other side of the earth from your home. To that degree we are pleased that your valuable vacation time exceeded your expectations.
For those that want the spaciousness of a condo, the landscaping/amenity of a resort offered with gracious island style hospitality, we believe that we are the best place.
We look forward to your longer return visit with us. Mahalo for your kind words.
Shakopee, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed in a 2 BR that had the best ocean view! It's right next to the pool, which could be bad but actually turned out to be perfect as the pool was never real loud and had great landscaping for privacy. There is also plenty of seating at the pool - hard to tell that on the Outrigger pictures. Condo had updated kitchen, carpets were a little worn, and furniture was comfortable; nice simple decorating - nothing too "tropical." We did have ants but after hearing other guests, I believe that to be common in most units (traps/cleaning supplies fixed problem). The front desk employees were great to work with and willing to make sure our stay met expectations. Concierge was great - recommended fantastic luau at Grand Wailea. Nice public beach just down hill, beach chairs provided by condo. The overall complex is quiet and not on "condo row" which makes for a nice, relaxing place to stay. Lanai is large sized and great for BBQ and drinks. The unit only has A/C in master, you can pay extra to have in entire condo. This was our first time in Maui and after looking at the other condo options, we are so glad we picked Outrigger - can't wait to come back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Aloha Kelly and Mahalo for your kind words.
We are thrilled that you noticed so many of our amenities and it really seems as if you have grabbed the essence of what we are all about.
We are proud of the Outrigger name and pleased that our reputation was reinforced during your stay with us.
We certainly look forward to your return visit as Maui No Ka Oi (is the best) and we believe that the Outrigger at the Palms of Wailea is one of the reasons why.
Again, Mahalo for your kind words.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed 3 weeks at The Palms in Nov-Dec. It was our third stay there in the last 10 years. We had a one-bedroom, 2 bath, ocean view unit (1702). This property has an excellent location about a 10 minute walk to one of the best beaches on Maui. The gardens are beautiful and very well maintained. The units are huge. A/C in the bedroom was excellent and we didn't find we needed A/C elsewhere. The pool is lovely but lacks umbrellas to get away from the sun and parents should note there is no children's pool. The children gravitate to the hot tub which is not really the best place for them. The units all have wonderful lanais which are very large with barbeques and nice patio furniture. The bed in our unit was comfortable. The staff are welcoming, always ready to help and really make up for some of the physical deficiencies of the condos.
When staying at The Palms you have to think of it as your grandmother's condo and granny is happy with the condo just the way it was when she moved into it in the 1980s. Furniture is old. Kitchen and bathrooms are old. Kitchen cupboards smell old. The 1980s "Time Master" microwave in the kitchen of our unit should have been in a technology museum. Windows are old. Tile floors are chipped. The units are surface clean but in need of more serious cleaning. Windows and sills are dirty. Now that daily cleaning service has been eliminated we suspect this isn't going to get better. The place overall gives the impression that the individual owners (mostly American we assume) have been through a tough few years of recession and are not able to invest the money necessary to keep the units in good condition. Everything works but the unit we were in needed a complete reno.
An important thing to keep in mind is that many of the units are beside the main street linking Wailea to Kihei and the noise on this road has become progressively greater as the years have gone on. Now there are street sweepers at 6am, large service trucks, thundering car stereos, public transit buses and motorcycles with hollywood mufflers at all times of day from about 5:30am to 9pm. Avoid the street-side units if you can.
Many reviewers emphasize the value of these condos and we would agree. The price is reasonable by Maui standards especially for this desireable part of the island. However the trade-off is easily evident from the poor quality of the units. But if you know this from the start you can have a pleasant stay at The Palms and pay less than for most of the properties close by. We will stay again at The Palms, and hope by the time we next visit more of the units will have been renovated.

Room Tip: Try for units on the interior garden to avoid road noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank foulaman
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Aloha Foulaman. Mahalo for your feedback on our property as I do agree that the happiest guests are the ones who evaluate us based on the concept of ‘value’. When one examines the options available, I’m confident that our guests will continue to return to us as it is clear that we do provide very good value for the price. Our goal is to provide clean comfortable accommodations in the spirit of Aloha and every day we strive to do even better.
Although we are 20 years old now, nearly everything in (all of) the condo has been changes out a couple of times (except in this case- the infamous micro/oven) but if the one we assign for you just doesn’t appeal to you, please let us know as I am confident that -of all the condos that we manage- we could have found something that will please you. On your next trip to Maui, please let us know your requests as we will work hard to get this for you.
Mahalo for lengthy review.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed at the Wialea Palms for a week. I originally booked this hotel 3 months prior to our arrival and requested air conditioning and second floor unit. I even called 3 days before to confirm these amenities. Neither were available at time of check-in. What also put me off was that we ordered a Garden Deluxe room and we ended up facing a parking lot off the patio... I'd hate to see what a regular room faced. I brought my concerns to the desk who were empathetic and changed our room to another main floor room in the complex. This time we backed onto a main road, but it was okay. The room itself is tired. Many stains on the rug and 80s appliances in the kitchen. We accidentally left a few pieces of rice in the sink and the next morning we had a freeway of ants bringing the food out of the sink and across the counter. It was actually quite impressive. After using some Lysol, this never happened again. The unit itself was quite large and had a good size bedroom and 2 bathrooms. For space, it is a very good size. The patio and lanai were also a good size and it made for a nice spot to have breakfast or evening drinks. The pool and hot tub were perfect. The best part of this unit was the value. The staff were very, very nice at this complex and were always smiling. I'm not sure if I will stay here again but I did enjoy my time here.

Room Tip: If you wish to have AC in the living room, you need to request it in advance. AC in the bedroom is...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cgyguy30
Aloha Cgyguy30 from Calgary.
We are so pleased to welcome so many guests from Canada.
I am relieved to hear that you were ultimately pleased with our good value as this is important to all of us. Since all of the units are individually owned -and this means that they are all different- from experience, I know that people appreciate different things and I was happy to hear that the staff found something that pleased you and you had a good time here. I am confident that when you return we will have something that pleases you from the beginning.
Mahalo for your feedback.
Kapolei, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I think I booked the least desirable type of room this property offers and it was great. It was a ground floor garden view 2 BR condo. Each condo is individually owned and talking to the manager I know that the one I booked was a little different than others. I found it to be very comfortable 2 BR 2 Bath, fold out sofa. We had 6 people at one time and it was completely comfortable. I loved the large patio and regretted that I didn't use the gas bbq that was there; next time!.

The staff were always smiling. We had a small problem with one thing and they were quick to respond and fix. Truthfully I felt like I was living at my own home I was so comfortable.

1 Thank donmark1444
Aloha donmark1444.
In addition to all the Canadians that enjoy our property it is always nice to here that our Kamaaina (‘of the land/island’) guests also enjoy the many fine features of our condo/resort.
It was particularly reassuring to hear that you felt right at home here and that our 2 bedroom units units are so spacious that all 6 of your group were comfortable. Mahalo for your kind words.
Matt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#13 of 32 in Lahaina
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Palms at Wailea? Share your experiences!