“Great Hotel”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 January 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt in Maui after coming from the Hyatt in Kauai for our Honeymoon. I wrote a review to that one too if you are interested. The hotel is on Kaanapali beach. A 10 minute drive to Lahania and Front Street. Upon arrival we were escorted to the front desk. Since it also happed to be my birthday they gave us a Hawaiian style photo album. Really nice touch. The grounds are beautiful with tropical flowers and nice landscaping, birds, fish ponds, flamingoes, penguins. We got an ocean front room in the atrium tower (middle one). It was ocean front indeed. It felt like you could touch the ocean. The balconies are very small. Just enough room for 2 chairs and a small table. The beach is very narrow, in some places not even wide enough for a beach towel. I guess that's why they put a lot of money into the pool. The pool was huge. It had waterfalls, water slide, caves, pool side bar. Not actually a swim up. They had lots of chairs some with canopies so you didn't have to roast in the sun if you didn't want to. They were so close together and they were pretty full each day. They had women serve drinks and food to you chair. The breakfast which was included was similar to the breakfast at the Hyatt in Kauai. It had anything you could want. There was something there for everyone. We ate at the sushi and steak restaurant (i forget the name) for my birthday dinner. I really liked it because I like sushi and and husband won't touch it. he's a steak lover. The next night we had champagne and fruit delivered to the room. The fruit actually made me sick later in the night. I think it may have been the yogurt dip. We got a couples massage next to the beach. It was ok. I would have liked it if the huts were futher away from the people lounging by the pool. The spa in Kauai was way nicer. All in all we enjoyed out time at the Hyatt in Maui. Hey you are in Maui, what's not to like?

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
39  Thank steph44w1

Reviewed 6 January 2008

We went to the Hyatt Regency in Maui and it was pretty close to paradise. The room was smallish for the 4 of us but that was not the fault of the hotel.

The hotel supplied us with extra cots, micro wave and mini fridge.
Once we got over the fact that everything was an extra charge and accepted that we had a great time.

The food was excellent and our kids were busy planning on how to make us miss our flight and stay.

I recommend the star show/ telescope. It was not crowded and it was a great experience both for us and the kids. The other thing we did was the snorkeling trip on the catamaran. That was great and we rented snorkeling gear and snorkeled the rest of the time we were in Hawaiil

It was my first and so far only time in Hawaii and it was wonderful.

Stayed: July 2006
56  Thank TechnoKitty
Reviewed 2 January 2008

Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful place and is actually in Ka'anapali, not Lahaina. It's a bit of a drive to get to Lahaina and Front Street shopping area. The beach is almost non-existent in front of the hotel. If you walk along down a ways the beach will widen, but I was not impressed with Ka'anapali Beach at all, after having been in Oahu and seeing some of the gorgeous beaches there, this did not compare beauty-wise. The hotel was very crowded which is probably normal at this time of year. We stayed in Oahu from 12/22 to 12/28 and Maui from 12/28 to 1/2/08. But the service was not good for the amount of money I had to shell out to stay at this place! First of all, you CANNOT, I REPEAT, CANNOT get a chair at their wonderful pool area unless you high tail it down there at 7 a.m. to get a towel and throw it on a chair. I never would do this because I thought it was not fair if I was not going to be at the pool to "save" chairs. But everyone else in the joint seemed to. We would arrive at the pool at 8:00 am only to find every pool chaise, chair, table covered with the Hyatt's blue/white stripe towels, but somehow the people would not be anywhere in site! On my last day, I had had enough and asked about this and asked if a cabana boy would find my family some chairs. They tried, but had no luck. They told me they would start "tagging" chairs every hour and when chairs were unattended, even if they had a towel, they would clear the chair and make it available for other customers use. I actually saw the first round of the "tagging" which consisted of a note left on select chaise lounge chairs. Notes that were blowing away with the trade winds because they were not secured in any way to the chairs. I saw one round of this and never saw any cabana boys or employees remove the towels and make them available to others. I cannot stress to you how many people were doing this. Securing chairs early in the morning and they may or may not even show up until later in the afternoon! It was madness! The Hyatt has probably the biggest and most popular pool in Maui, but it was such a shame to not be able to enjoy it because there is NO WHERE to go to sit when you want to lay out or get out of the pool and soak up the sun. This is my first complaint. Second...Don't eat at Cascades in the hotel. Service was awful. We had reservations and pretty much got right in at our assigned time. No problem. Getting waited on was a different matter. Our waiter never greeted us, never took a drink order (we had to only drink water that was given to us by the greeter). He delivered our food to the table and that was THE ONLY time we saw him. No, "can I get you anything else? How's the food? How about dessert?" NOTHING! We finally asked for our ticket after he never came back and complained to the manager who promptly credited our hotel account for the dinner. This is a $$$ restaurant (our meal was $127 with no drinks and for two people!) I was pleased that the management was so eager to remedy the situation, but I would never recommend the restaurant. We also had room service from Spats (also in the Hyatt Regency). Food was good, but very small portions and very pricey as well. Would not recommend eating there either. Try to get out of this hotel to eat. This is very hard considering Lahaina is several miles down the road and there is not much else in Ka'anapali except pricey hotels and their own restaurants. A note on the aloha experience....Since Waikiki was our first stop we found it to be a very friendly place. We stayed at the ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Hotel which I will review separately. The staff there were amazing! We commented each day on how friendly everyone was, even the people working in the ABC stores (which are on every block in Waikiki) and even the workers in the International Marketplace. There was a BIG difference in how friendly people were in Oahu vs. Maui. I had big expectations for Maui because I had always heard it was so beautiful! it is beautiful, but it did not live up to my expectations and in my opinion the beaches don't compare to Oahu. If you are looking for a resort community with not a lot to do then this is your place. My last comment will be with Pacific Whale Foundation's L'anai/molokini crater snorkeling tour. We booked two days in advance and it happened to be raining the day of our tour. No big deal right? WRONG. Don't go if it is raining. You will waste your money snorkeling because it mixes up the water and you will not have good visibility. The trip should have been cancelled, but Pacific Whale Foundation did not cancel it. They did not tell us until we were ON THE BOAT that we would not be able to go to Molokini Crater because of the weather. What a let down. Also, there is no "seeing" L'anai either because they don't dock at a beach. They took us to an alternate spot called Shark Fin Cove (which I later found in my Hawaii books listed as not a good snorkeling spot). It was not a good spot. Low visibility. Very bad weather. Okay, now the trip back to Maui took over 2 hours! Apparently the channel between Lanai and Maui was rough (so the captain said) and they told us it would be a little bit more bumpy coming back. A little bumpy does not describe this! It was MISERABLE. I have never gotten sea sick or motion sick in all of my life! and I was sick and so were about half the people there. People were holding trash bags and filling them up! It was very scary. 6-8 foot waves which meant we were crashing on the waves about 10-12 feet. I will never use them again. Like I said, they should have cancelled the trip! It was dangerous and no one got their money's worth except for The Pacific Whale Foundation.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Takemeawaymiles
Reviewed 2 January 2008

I am always skeptical going on vacation during Xmas week so I prepare myself for the crowds. The hotel was full to capacity but that didn't really affect our trip. At first they did not have the connecting rooms I requested but with a little wait at the check in desk they did find two rooms connecting which I am insistent on (my thing when traveling with kids, even if they're grown kids). The hotel grounds are great, penguins in the lobby. The rooms are big but very dated for a so called "luxury" hotel. The beds are great hyatt beds and so was the bedding. However, the rooms needs a major redo in today's hotel market. Hotel restaurants were excellent and housekeeping was great. You needed to get to the pool by 8am to get a pool chair for the day, that is typical during xmas week at any hotel but its an issue that needs to be addressed at the Hyatt. Overall we had a great vacation and I would stay there again.

Stayed: December 2007
30  Thank aliNewJersey
Reviewed 27 December 2007

This was our third stay at the Hyatt in Maui. The room had a beautiful view and was in good condition except for the bathroom. Every time I used the faucet in the tub, I was afraid it would come off in my hand. Hopefully we were not in one of the rooms that had not been recently remodeled. We were there 2 weeks before Christmas, and were still surprised at the number of people vacationing in the area, although the hotel was not crowded. In fact, this was the first visit we ever made where we found the hot tub area empty, although there were a couple of rowdy children who kept running through the area. We didn't eat on the premises this time, although we had on previous visits and it was always good. If you can get a deal with a free breakfast buffet, it is well worth it. There had been a storm shortly before we got there, so the water closest to the beaches was extremely cloudy. There was some work being done as we would hear construction noises during the day, but not constantly.
One thing, if you stay on this side of the island, be sure and allow enough time to get to the Kuhului airport. There is one road, and we spent over 2 hours when there was an accident on it in the middle of the day.
The Hyatt was adequate, the $15 resort fee was a rip off, for some reason the coffee in the room was very bad. There is a mini-bar fridge set-up, an empty mini-fridge, and a candy/snack mini-bar/tray type set up that took up the entire top of a counter next to the bathroom, and was unnecessary in my opinion.
While it was above average, we are already discussing a change of hotel (and maybe island) for our next trip to Hawaii, although, walking past the other hotels between the Hyatt and Whaler's Village didn't impress us either.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
53  Thank kimnkitties
Reviewed 27 December 2007

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel in the week before Christmas. We were disappointed with most things here.
1. We were in a room in the Napiili tower. The hallways, carpets and elevators seem quite old and not very well cleaned. The elevators were also having some maintenance done, slow to respond.
2. The room smelled like smoke even though it was supposed to be a king non-smoking. It was very large, no complaints there. But again old-ish carpeting and furniture. It suits a Days Inn or something, not an expensive Hyatt (we paid ~250 a night on priceline). I haven't seen a curved screen CRT TV in a looong time and was surprised to find one in the room! Not even a flat screen CRT, that is the norm in any decent hotel now, if not LCD/Plasma.
3. The resort fee is compulsory and an absolute waste. Everyone has cell phones now, who needs unlimited local dialing ? How many people play tennis on a vacation, especially if the court is at the other end of the hotel grounds. All the more frustrating because at our stay the previous two nights at Marriott Waikoloa, the resort fee included daily mai tai's for two, and half-day snorkeling rentals. The resort fee here is a complete sham.
4. No fee for parking, phew. At Marriott Waikoloa we paid $7 a day.
5. The location. It is on the Ka'anapali beach alright. But it is at one corner of the beach. And this corner is no good. There are small rocks, you can't really swim or snorkel near the shore. The sand isn't very soft and clean. This beach is only good for walks. 1 mile up near the Sheraton the beach becomes really nice. So if you're looking for a romantic beach to relax at, this ain't it.
6. Worst of all, crowds. This is a large hotel, Vegas-style. They have all kinds of creatures and birds and stuff, so family oriented. But it was pretty crowded this time of year. There is one large pool and that has loads of people in it. In the afternoon it takes quite a while to find chairs. It has only one whirlpool and that is just ridiculous for so many rooms. That whirlpool/jacuzzi/spa is always crowded and you don't really feel like relaxing there with 15 other people. The facilities are just not adequate and enough for the number of guests they have.
All in all, we were very dissappointed especially considering our stay at Marriott Waikoloa was splendid. I would highly recommend the Big Island over Maui due to crowds. The Big Island was way more peaceful with lots of nice beaches.

While you're in Maui though, make sure you go down to the beaches in the south. Makena's big beach was awesome fun with clear water and nice waves breaking 5 feet from the shore. Wailea also seemed a nice beach, calmer than Makena.
The road trip to Hana was not at all worth it. Driving all the way on that frustrating highway to see a few pools was quite a waste.
Also try making the Haleakala summit at sunrise. It gets crowded but its a very nice view and some nice hikes to the craters.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
8  Thank AksNYC
Reviewed 24 December 2007

I am writing this review after having given the Hyatt a chance to respond. Since they have not responded, I am publishing an honest review of our actual experience.

My Partner and I vacationed in Maui from Nov. 10 through Nov. 16 at the Hyatt Resort on the Kanapali coast near Lahaina. First, when we checked in between 7 pm and 7:30 pm on our first night, they did not have our King bed available. The front desk told us they would put us on a waiting list for a King room and for checking in that night they would put us in a queen and full-bed room with an upgraded partial ocean view room. After eating, it was dark so we pulled the curtains and went to bed.

To our utter amazement, the front desk neglected to tell us that our "upgraded" partial ocean front view was blocked by a construction crane that stood taller than the hotel and that roofing material would be hauled right past our balcony. There was no warning of construction and no warning that we would receive such a bad room.

I called the front desk the morning that I saw and HEARD the crane and found out they were repairing the roof and asked very politely to be switched. I asked them to please transfer us to the king room. The front desk stated that they would call us as one became available, but none were.

I called everyday for 3-days until more than halfway through our 5-night vacation, they transferred us.

We spent sizeable sum of money at the Hyatt that week, using the Spa for multiple appointments, eating in all of the hotel restaurants, and when we checked out, saw our bill, and there was not even a courtesy credit for the rooms, my partner told me not to ruin our vacation and just write a complaint letter after we leave.

We selected the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort because we thought that it was the best hotel on the Kanapali beach. Clearly we were mistaken. I am afraid that neither of us will be able to recommend the Hyatt Regency Resort at Kanapali in Lahaina, Maui.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
18  Thank DetailedCritic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!