“No Hospitality Rooms...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“No Hospitality Rooms...”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

The front office staff were great. Steven was efficient and placed us in a great room with a great ocean view. Excellent customer service, thanks Steven!

Our stay was great for the most part, we were mostly only at the hotel to sleep. It wasn't until the last day that our impression of this hotel went downhill.

As a frequent traveler to Hawaii, I've grown accustomed to checking out, spending the day at the beach, and then returning to the hotel before my flight back to the mainland. EVERY hotel I've stayed at has had hospitality rooms available for guests to shower and iron, before heading to the airport. I've only stayed at one hotel in Oahu that used their Spa locker rooms instead of a hospitality room. This was fine, because the Spa facilities were impeccable and upscale. This Hyatt does not offer either. Instead, they want you to use their pool locker rooms. Not only were they disgustingly dirty, but they had broken shampoo dispensers, no air conditioning, and no place to iron your travel clothes.

What was once a great impression, immediately went to disgust. This is the last thing this hotel wants you to remember of your stay? I recently lost my Platinum status with Hyatt, and this is the reason why. I will NOT be staying at this resort again. I will continue to build up my Hilton points instead. Looks like I'll be staying at the Grand Wailea Resort on my next Maui trip!

Room Tip: Watch out, they have construction on the west side of the resort.
3 Thank Casper H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
khi
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Great hotel n lovely atmosphere ,,,,would def go again ,,,,pool is amazing ,,,location is superb ,,,,,lovely interior of d lobby area,,,,love it !!!! Friendly staff,,,,,,n d luau at d Hyatt was amazing ,,,,,pricey but great !

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank don2154
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Aloha don2154!

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback about your recent visit to our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. Your comments are greatly appreciated. We are glad to hear how much you enjoyed everything from the luau, to relaxing by the large swimming pools. It will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Mahalo,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Washington Crossing
Reviewed 14 June 2013

When we arrived we found that they were replacing tiles on the pool and half the pool was tented. After three days of grinding and drilling, we were not thrilled. However, we only stayed at the pool for about 3 hours a day anyway. When we checked out we complained and the Hyatt immediately took the resort fees off of our bill. Everyone who worked there was extremely nice. They also have a cool star gazing thing at night. Although it cost $25 a person, it is given by an astronomer with some high power telescopes and the stars on Maui were amazing.

3 Thank James S
I appreciate you taking a moment to provide us with your feedback. I apologize for the pool work taking place during your stay. I am pleased the front desk was able to work with you to offer a solution for this inconvenience. I am delighted you were able to take part in the Tour of the Stars. This is a great feature we offer and our guests really enjoy the experience. Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at our resort. I hope we can welcome you back to Hyatt in the near future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We just completed a four night stay at this resort. We had a standard Ocean View room in the Napili tower (5th floor). I spent a lot of time researching this hotel and reading reviews before this trip. The hotel exceeded all my expectations. The lobby and the grounds are beautiful. Our room was also wonderful. We slept every night with the balcony door open (screen door closed) so we could hear the waves as we slept. Happy hour at Japengo was great. We enjoyed the pool and the beach walk. On our final day we watched four turtles playing just off of the beach in front of the hotel.

We ventured into all of the hotels along the beach walk and the Hyatt grounds were the best.

Our only negative was the self parking lot. The spots were extremely small. It was quite a hastle getting into and out of the spots everyday.

Overall, we loved the resort. Our only regret was not spending more time here! We could have easily spent a week here and never left the hotel. Since it was our first time to Maui, we spent most of our time driving around the island and seeing the sights. Hope to come back and just spend time In the resort.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must.
1 Thank jvliii
Aloha jvliii,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments with regards to your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. We are delighted to hear how much we exceeded your expectations during your visit. Listening to the waves as you go to sleep is very peaceful. Watching the turtles off the beach can be very entertaining. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Mahalo,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My wife and I have travelled four times to Maui staying at Marriott Resort, The Westin, The Renaissance- now another name- and most recently in May 2013 , the Hyatt Resort. We won't be returning to the Hyatt.
Let me preface my review by acknowledging that we did use points for two nights and paid for the next three. Paying with points. What is it about Hotels that WANT you to buy into their rewards programs but when you want to actually USE these points, they treat you as a mooching chump?
Thus begins my review. Having travelled from Atlanta to Maui and finally arriving at the Hotel,
The reception area was dated and there was a "be right back" sign at the check in. Now this is the preferred check in for "Hyatt Gold and Platinum " members.
The clerk returned and explained that he was sold out of our "partial ocean view room" but could move us the next day. Heard that one before?
So-being tired as hell we took our assigned room. NO VIEW and dirty. A second floor room facing the parking lot right next to the elevator. The room was dirty and looked like a blast from 1975.
My wife is one of those "it's fine" folks but not me.
So I schlepped back to the front desk fairly steamed. After some actual argument with the front desk clerk he agreed to show me another room on the 15th floor which was acceptable. After all we were tired and hungry and wanted no part in a room fight.
I explained to the clerk that we travelled quite frequently and having stayed at the other properties mentioned that assuredly I would not stay at the Hyatt again. This was my first and last experience at this property.

His personal attitude and his ownership of our problem were below any standards I expected. He was the real problem that night. That being said, I will say that the property needs a total interior renovation. The rooms are dated, poorly appointed and simply below standards of the competition. The beds are Asian style-- meaning almost on the ground with no box springs. I requested box springs and they were delivered and the bed was "Americanized".

The pool is wonderful and there is a great grotto bar with great drinks-- even a Happy Hour!
We made the best of our room and the decor and soon the beauty of Maui made things quite acceptable. We had fun certainly.
Personally, you only get one chance to make a first impression and the Hyatt Resort in Maui blew that. I was never asked if everything was OK, if I was satisfied or if they had exceeded my expectations. As I said earlier, having stayed at four properties I'd rec the Westin or the Marriott, the Westin being the best.

Pass on this Hyatt property.BTW they are building a time share Hyatt next door. Guess that's where the money went.

Room Tip: Don't use points and make damn sure you ask for a room in the middle tower facing the Ocean if p...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FlyfreeTN
Valley Village, Ca
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We came here in June and stayed for 7 days on points. What A gorgeous property. We are Diamond members were treated that way. When we arrived, the Valet staff were so friendly and nice that I thought...wow is this always like this in Maui? We checked in with Ashley the front desk staff , which was so efficient and friendly . This property is very kid friendly with lots of stuff to do in it. We watched the Luau show and enjoyed beautiful walks almond the property in the mornings. You must rent a car here and go around the Island. There are plenty of places to go and see. The road to Hana is one... 3 hrs. Long drive on a winding road with lots of stops in between including a sacred waterfall. Lava tube is a must see. It is an a cave that has stalagmites growing . The botanical garden of Eden is another must see on the way to Hana. Hyatt is the place to stay in Maui with beautiful rooms and club level access to Diamond members that is clean and super friendly staff. You will feel much relaxed and well rested here.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Macky G
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted that you had such a positive first impression with our Valet and also with Ashley at the front desk and that you found them to be so friendly and helpful. It is wonderful that you were able to take advantage of our luau and I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed it so much. I’m happy that you had such a relaxing stay and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate
Sydney
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights here in May.
After a rocky start to the trip, our flight being cancelled out of Sydney, we were surprised to get straight into our room and 8am ( we were scheduled to arrive the day before).
The room was top floor with amazing ocean views. We paid for these, but they were still above my expectation.
The room was big, with a king size bed and balcony.
Breakfast was included in our rate and it was good. The service couldn't be faulted.
My only let down was the beach (or lack of). As an Australian, we have a particular view of what a beach should be, and unfortuneately, limited sand and rocks are not it! But on the upside, the pool is amazing and huge. Just get in early if you want a good spot. Possibly a bit more shade wouldn't go astray. It can get HOT!
Try Umalu for snacks and cocktails. The bar staff are great and do well to keep you there talking and drinking and generally having a great time.
There is some building work happening on one side of the resort, so if you book and you think it will be an issue for you, I suggest you let the resort know upfront. But I guarantee you won't be spending much time in the room anyway.
Whalers Village is a 15 minute walk or a few minutes on the trolley. The walk is great, but not in the heat of the day.
P.S There's penguins in the foyer, which have set a new benchmark for future accommodations we might book!

Room Tip: Let the resort know if you think the building works next door will be an issue, so they can put you...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fiona D
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you found your room to be so spacious and that the spectacular ocean view exceeded your expectations. Breakfast in the Swan Court is a wonderful way to start each day and I am glad that were able to take advantage of a rate that included this. I’m thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our large pool, as well as all the snacks and cocktails which are available in Umalu restaurant. I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#13 of 32 in Lahaina
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!