The HR Maui is one of our favorite hotels in Hawaii. We've been to all the islands but love Maui the best. We spent 2 weeks at this property in early December and once again had a great experience. It was noisier than usual around the pool because of the construction but that noise was preferable to a property that has screaming kids all day long. (No noisy teenagers were here either) There was never a problem getting a beach chair, or towels or drinks around the pool. My wife drinks a lot of water so we got that from the carafes set up at the end of the pool bar. The bartender would give my wife ice and fresh lemon each time she filled her glass.
I don't understand the complaints about lack of beach. Good grief , there is beach all along the 1 mile stretch to Whaler's village. Walk a few steps and find what type of area you want. The sunsets were magnificent all along that beach area. Lots of wedding couples getting their pictures done with the setting sun in the background.
We knew about the new time share building so asked for a quiet room when checking in. Jeff must be the most efficient , professional , kind employee they have. His kindness to us set the tone for our vacation. We got a room with a partial ocean view that also had a view of the mountains. We could see the sugar train that was off in the distance. We could barely hear the Luau music so that wasn't a problem. He gave us a late checkout for departing day and free parking in the self park lot. Thank you Jeff! You know we'll be back next year!!
We were never spoken to by any time share people. We just didn't go into the part of the hotel where they were set up. There was a welcome message on our phone about a free something or other but we thought it was probably a time share thing so we didn't go get it. Not sure how this new time share thing will change the resort. Only time can tell that.
We loved the well equipped gym. We used it every morning at 5am and it started to get surprisingly busy about 6 am. At about 5:10 every morning they change the plain water and the infused water in the gym, even if the carafes are still full from not being used during the night.(open 24/7). Never saw a towel on the floor. They do a great job keeping it clean & well stocked with towels. Great place to watch the sunrise too as the machines face onto the ocean.
We had breakfast buffet included in our rate so we took full advantage of the offerings. Thank you Joy& Liz & all the lovely ladies who seated us & treated us with real aloha every morning. Thanks for the chocolates you gave us on our last morning there also. We appreciate you & you made us feel so welcome.
About the buffet; we are healthy eaters, most of the time, so we stuck to the fresh oatmeal, topped it with granola. Lots of platters of fresh fruit, beautiful cheese tray choices. There were plain eggs as well which tasted very fresh. There were a lot of carb choices, their coconut & macadamia bread is to die for. Yoghurt lovers had that available too. Just before we left, they closed the regular restaurant where breakfast buffet was served for renovation. The buffets were not as extensive after that as the omelette stations were eliminated.
The stores on the property are nice. Great beach wear in the Macy's(my wife says). Wife bought some dresses at Jam's World.
The stargazing program they have on the roof is so interesting. How many people get to have a 800X magnification picture of the moon on their IPhone? The guy who works for NASA who gives the 1 hour lesson is easy to understand and helpful.
The cleaning staff did a super job on our room. We asked that they try to clean the room in the morning. They were able to do that for us all but 1 morning. Great job housekeeping!!
The pool is gorgeous and was cleaned every morning around 6:30 am. Towels were already available at that time.
Ate at all the restaurants. Wife wasn't thrilled about the baby cats roaming around Umalu but we solved that by sitting at the bar tables that were higher up. Guests were feeding the cats. Reminded me of some of the ferrel cats that roam on Kauai.
Meal at Japengo was excellent and the service by the main waiter was fine but the other waiter was just not well trained. He kept reaching across the table in front of one of us to serve or take plates away when it was just as efficient to get them from the other side. No clean silverware between courses. Worse service of any night of our stay.
Food in Sonz was very good but not outstanding for the price. Service was excellent. View priceless!
We got the feeling that everyone was doing their best to make our vacation great. They had to deal with the construction and repairs and all the problems that brings with guests who didn't know about it ahead of time. Thank you Hyatt. We liked you even better than the Andaz Maui we stayed at after we left you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on 40 oceanfront acres on Ka'anapali Beach, this AAA 4-Diamond award-winning resort is an authentic Hawaiian experience set in tropical paradise. Each of 806 guestrooms, including 31 renovated suites, affords Hawaiian elegance with private lanais and panoramic views. Amenities include oceanfront spa, 24-hour athletic club, half-acre pool with waterfalls and slides, golf, and tennis. Activities include Drums of the Pacific Lu'au, Tour of the Stars rooftop stargazing, cultural lessons, water sports, shopping on property and nearby, and wildlife tours with penguins, flamingos and more. World-class dining at Japengo, 'Umalu, Swan Court and Son’z—emphasize using locally grown ingredients to provide unique cuisine to suit every palate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Maui Hotel Lahaina
- Hyatt Lahaina
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort Spa
- Hyatt Regency Lahaina
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort And Spa Lahaina