My family of four just spent 5 nights at this resort for our first Hawaii family vacation and we'd gladly go back!
I had some trepidation after reading some other reviews so wanted to post a quick write-up letting other TAers know that the Hyatt Maui was a dream vacation spot, even with our discounted room overlooking the construction! I posted pics so you can see for yourself.
The kids loved the pool and played happily there every day, we walked about 5 minutes up the beach toward Whaler's Village and swam in the ocean in front of the Westin to avoid the rocks and the water there was delightful. It's not a big deal to not swim directly in front of the Hyatt.
The Hyatt staff went out of their way to make us feel important and took phenomenal care of us from valet (jeremy) to front desk (momi and danica) to most of the wait staff. We ate poolside, at Umalu and Japengo multiple times. The only reason the Hyatt lost a star in this review is their pool server Rhoda (or maybe Rhonda) was quite rude. We closed out our check with her after two poolside orders and went directly to Umalu ourselves the rest of that day rather than continue to order from her. The other poolside servers on other days (Caroline and Victoria/Veronica) were a delight as was just about everyone else we encountered throughout our stay.
There was plenty of shaded lounge seating by the pool (and this week was sold out!) but we are early risers so that may have helped. We were in bed many nights by 8:30 pm (hey, we have kids!) and up most mornings around 7ish. The best shade -- solid through 2 or 3 pm -- is the row of loungers along the rock wall on your right hand side when facing the kids pool. Nobody was ridiculous about pool towel cards as some other TAers complained, every exchange was simple and painfree. We swam some mornings, then went to Swam Court for breakfast and returned to our seats shortly thereafter. One of those mornings there was a note waiting for us, but I don't think that's a bad practice because if we weren't returning in a reasonable period of time, then someone else should be able to enjoy our chairs. The note said our stuff would be removed at 10 am (an hour after the initial warning note was served) and held at the pool station if we were gone over an hour, but we made it back in time.
We saw humpback whales from the poolside chairs every single day! Too many to count, some were just flippers and tails but quite a few full breach and giant splashes as well. No whale tours needed!
We ate at Leilani's twice -- go for the hula pie and the fish tacos, amazing with extra guac and jalapenos if you like a kick. We were impressed by the live singers at Japengo as well as the happy hour food, we made those pupus our dinner twice and it was a steal and delicious.
Go and have fun, aloha! Wish we could go back right now!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on 40 oceanfront acres on Ka'anapali Beach, this AAA 4-Diamond award-winning resort is an authentic Hawaiian experience set in tropical paradise. Each of 806 guestrooms, including 31 renovated suites, affords Hawaiian elegance with private lanais and panoramic views. Amenities include oceanfront spa, 24-hour athletic club, half-acre pool with waterfalls and slides, golf, and tennis. Activities include Drums of the Pacific Lu'au, Tour of the Stars rooftop stargazing, cultural lessons, water sports, shopping on property and nearby, and wildlife tours with penguins, flamingos and more. World-class dining at Japengo, 'Umalu, Swan Court and Son’z—emphasize using locally grown ingredients to provide unique cuisine to suit every palate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Maui Hotel Lahaina
- Hyatt Lahaina
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort Spa
- Hyatt Regency Lahaina
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort And Spa Lahaina