“Great 'tropical' option in Maui”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Great 'tropical' option in Maui”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My partner and I spent about 10 days in Maui, visiting different hotels and different parts of the island. We really loved the Hyatt Regency atmosphere and overall vibe. After traveling almost 12 hours from the east coast, you really want to feel transported and the Hyatt Maui delivers. It's very tropical and very Hawaii (at least what you imagine Hawaii to be). The lobby is open air and overlooks the pool and ocean. Beautiful tiki torch lanterns light the property at night and the views are spectacular. There is a wide variety of wild life here which we didn't really experience anywhere else - parrots, penguins, swans, flamingos...it's very special and makes exploring the property fun. Pool area was great. Lots of waterfalls and grottos. As for food, the real standout was Japengo for sushi. The other restaurants underwhelmed especially the buffet breakfast at the Swan. I'm not picky about breakfast but I honestly couldn't find one thing that I enjoyed there. Rooms were dated in my opinion (popcorn ceilings!) but we tried to minimize time in the rooms. Also, there is construction on the right side of the property as they build a new Hyatt time share residence. You won't hear it at the pool because the waterfalls drown it out.

Room Tip: Construction facing rooms are obviously discounted but don't expect an upgrade if you book them...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lex2901

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Just went to Maui this Feb 2014, it was a beautiful hotel. I have no complaints about anything and I am very picky about where I stay. It was a beautiful hotel. No problems with wifi, it always worked. Great food, loved the see the beautiful gardens, the fish, birds, penguins. Loved the pools, pool bar, slides and the beach. Loved to have our breakfast every morning at the buffet restaurant all open looking out at the water(you could touch the water as it is that close) with the ducks, swans, birds, just swimming along. Just loved it! Great location, close to Whaler's Village. Beautiful place in Maui. Great place also to whale watch! Saw tons of whales!! Great fun! I would definitely go back anytime.

Tammy

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you so much for the kind review. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and our wonderful accommodations. We have some wonderful dining options at the hotel and I'm happy you enjoyed your breakfast each morning.

I will forward your feedback to our management team. We would love to welcome you back again and hope to see you soon. Thanks for choosing Hyatt.

Becky S
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed here for 5 days and were very pleased! The room was large, comfortable, and clean. The shower was one of the best I have ever used. The hotel is beautiful with a lot of open spaces and places to walk. There were plenty of chairs at the pool, we never had to search for a lounge. The kid's pool area was also great with lots of fun things for the little ones. Drums of the Pacific Luau is on the premises which was very convenient. From the moment we registered, the staff was always friendly and helpful with anything we needed. This hotel is in a good location, only about a 10-15 minute walk to Whaler's Village. If you're looking to relax in a beautiful atmosphere, this place should fit the bill.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eaglator
Thank you so much for the kind review. I'm so happy you enjoyed our hotel and our wonderful rooms. We have so many wonderful activities and amenities at the hotel and I'm glad you were able to take advantage of them.

I will certainly forward you feedback to the hotel's management team. We would love to have you back and hope to see you soon. Thanks for choosing Hyatt.

Becky S
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Nice hotel and clean rooms. We enjoyed our stay here in September. Lobby and shops are nice. I would stay there again! Close to Lahaina where shops,activities, and restaurants are located. Pool and restaurants are good and beach was not busy but better places farther down the beach.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lori S
Thank you for taking time to share feedback on your stay. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us in September! It is fantastic that you enjoyed the spacious, open-air lobby and the shops. We often hear enthusiastic feedback about how close we are to the many shops, activities and dining options in Lahaina and I’m pleased that you found this to be advantageous, as well. I’m delighted to hear that you were able to take advantage of our expansive pools and the many dining options that are available at the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 March 2014

For a Hyatt there were far too many problems with this hotel for me to recommend it.

Firstly the (few) positives:
-Beautiful gardens and wildlife (birds, penguins etc)
-Good concierge desk.
-Japengo restaurant quite good

The Bad:
-Very dated rooms in desperate need for renovation. Many of the lamps didn't work, the balcony was disgusting
-LOTS of construction noise around our room (there is renovations on one side of the hotel and construction of a new wing on the other side...good luck finding a quiet spot)
-The walls are literally paper thin. You WILL wake up every time your neighbours go to the toilet, have a shower or probably even sneeze
-Very uncomfortable hard beds.
-Want to use the Business centre? 70c/min, $1/B&W or $2/colour page printed....I kid you not!!! Printing some boarding passes will cost as much as re-purchasing your inter-island ticket.
-No Wifi in the convention areas unless your meeting organiser pays $50/attendee per day!
-Buffet breakfast not worth the money. Long lines for a small buffet with limited range and average quality food.
-The pool is packed like sardines. I've never seen that many sun loungers so tightly packed next to each other. You will literally be touching the person next to you.

Overall one of the most disappointing stays I've had at a 4-5 star hotel in a long time. The hotel has a lot of potential in a nice location but they must be ignoring many of these complaints and not working to fix them as I notice many others before me have commented on many of these again and again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms next to the renovations
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jayz78
HyattMauiGirl, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Aloha Jayz78! I wanted to reach out and thank you for giving us feedback about your stay and your concerns. I assure you we take every opportunity to improve very seriously and all feedback is fed to our upper management where we can strategize way to improve! To address some concerns last year we've renovated our pool, pool grotto bar, Swan Court decor and our Luau! We're not done yet so please stay tuned and hopefully we can have the chance to serve you in the future. I hope that your overallstay in Maui was a beautiful one! A hui hou!
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

My husband & I just returned from Maui, we had the time of our lives! We typically travel remotely and DO NOT stay in chain hotels. I have "special" diet needs and the hotel went above & beyond to make sure my needs were met. (Esther was the BEST waitress)

We dove with Jose and he was a wonderful Dive Master, we did a shore dive and it was one of my favorite dives. He took wonderful photographs for us to remember our dive.

The front desk was wonderful at scheduling activities to go to in the area. Amy was especially helpful prior to arrival.

Our experience was wonderful from check -in and check-out.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dee S
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding our staff agent Ester who went above and beyond to make sure that your diet needs were met during your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. Also, it is a pleasure to hear that every staff members from Jose to Ester and Amy took care of you and made your stay wonderful and memorable. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel. Hope to welcoming you back in the near future.

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times and it is my favorite on Maui. This most recent trip was a little disappointing due to many little things not being quite right but I still am giving it 4 stars because management did pursue contact with me (I had only made a little remark to a person at the front desk) to follow up and make it right.

We arrived very late to no water (yes, NO water) due to a water main shut off for emergency repair. Not the hotel's fault but after 6 hrs on a plane we didn't have anywhere to even wash our hands upon arrival. They did send up water bottles for us when I explained that we needed to at least wash our hands and brush our teeth.

I had called before we go on our plane to verify they were aware of the very late check in and to assure the beds were turned down. Upon arrival, the fold out was not ready (it was 1am HI time, 3am our normal time) and with 3 tired kids, I really wish it had been ready for them to wash up and then crash, which is what I had planned.

We had two rooms for our family of 5 and the rooms in the Napili tower are still pretty worn but that doesn't bother me much. I am sure they will be updated soon and the rooms are not what brings me to this hotel.

The location and gardens are still the best, as is the pool area. We rented cabanas each day of our stay so we could come and go as we pleased without worrying about pool chairs. It was also more comfortable and gave the kids a home base. I recommend this highly.

Swanz Court buffet breakfast is normally our favorite way to start our day but they did a "refresh" of the restaurant (new flooring, chairs, tables) which included eliminating the omelet station we so loved. It feels sparse now and the price did not go down. You can order omelets off the menu but it costs more. This in addition to now only offering pancakes twice a week (they used to have different flavors each day) and a few other eliminations. Just disappointing.

They obviously did some population control with the birds but thankfully there are still some so it kept what I felt was charm in that regard.

There were a few other things but to keep this short, I will say management handled everything well.

I was told on the phone prior to arrival that they did not provide leis to guests routinely anymore---only honeymooners. I had asked because I wanted to pick up the leis the morning after our arrival for a photo in the light of day instead of in the middle of the night. Upon check in, I didn't even mention it but over the next few days, I noticed many people wearing their leis and they all could not have been honeymooners! So I asked at the front desk and got a look of confusion because yes, they do still give out leis upon check in! This was the last in a long line of minor issues and disappointments and I mentioned to the girl that I had stayed here often but this time was just different and disappointing. Anyway, I got the leis for the photo (way more work than it should have been, but I really wanted that photo) and then I received messages daily from the managers to follow up regarding my stay.

I didn't call back until the last full day of our stay because I didn't want to waste precious vacation time on it. But when I did, I found the manager to be very understanding and open to making it right. I appreciated that and was happy with the result.

For that reason, they kept me as a customer and I won't try another hotel, as I had been thinking of for the next trip there (which I booked three days after returning home from THIS trip).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mom23inOR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!