“Great Resort Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Great Resort Experience”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My family of four and I loved this resort. We were only there for four days including travelling time so not long but we didn't leave except for a volcano tour.

The rooms were nice and comfortable but the best part was the large pool and proximity to the beach. The sea water is rough so not suitable for children but we loved it. There are two sides to the pool which is good because it mostly separates the adults from the families. One side has a shallow section and water slide, which was fun even for adults.

The restaurants are great, which is important as there isn't much around. The location has a few resorts and that's about it. They can be a little pricey but it's what you expect for on site. The japanese was really good and the pool bar was great. There is a mini mart on site too. We had complimentary breakfast in our package and the buffet was great - I had an omelette made by a chef each morning.

I gave my mother a massage and pedicure at the spa and they were really lovely. They gave me a gift bag with goodies but forgot to give her one on exit. It is expensive and we wouldn't have visited the spa if it wasn't her birthday. Overall we loved the experience and would recommend a volcano tour, despite it taking up most of a day with an early start.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank caitlanellen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Nice place to relax and nice slide for kids.
Was disappointed about food at resort. Breakfast overpriced and would have loved to eat more at resort but better options at whalers.
Service was great and nice place to unwind.
For some reason I was charged a $25 a day resort fee which was not specified in my booking. This was apparently for a paper and use of gym, neither which we used.
Great pool, penguins, garden, rooms just ok.
Overall ok.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank styles99
Reviewed 2 May 2014

There is nothing like having an unforeseen issue while on vacation. Su H. Of housekeeping took our problem to heart and made my wife's day. We have never seen someone go so far out of their way to not only resolve our problem. They moved us to a new room, much nicer than our original room, she gave us a room credit, took my wife and I to the Macy's within the hotel and purchased us new swim wear. Su single handedly change our extreme frustration to my wife having tears of joy. Thank you for such an amazing stay. Su you truly are amazing!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank mdavies992
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. It is truly a pleasure to hear that the hard work and commitment of Su H. was instrumental in that success and handedly change your extreme frustration to your wife having tears of joy. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate
Redwood City, California
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We just spend spring break in Maui and very much enjoyed the amenities of this hotel. The rooms are standard, with distinct Asian flair, the beds are about a foot off the ground, which is standard in Japan, but very comfortable. The rooms were fair size, we had a room with 2 double beds on east side of the property which afforded us a lovely hillside view as well as the Drums of the Pacific Luau show each night from the balcony! The pool is large and includes a tube slide, swim up bar and hot tub. My kids loved it. There are south African penguins in the lobby Mai and Tai were born on property and seem very comfortable in the lobby pool and rocks. There is a Coi pond as well and children can feed the penguins and fish each morning. My favorite feature was the gym which was state of the art and offered wonderful Yoga classes, and beach boot camp each morning. There is a Macy's in the lobby if you forget your swimsuit or need a new outfit, which makes it easy to not have to leave for much! Overall, we enjoyed this property and the lovely coral reef out front had good snorkeling. No need to travel away from this location!

Room Tip: there is construction on the west side of the building so choose a room towards the east.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Oreogingy
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I chose to stay at the Hyatt to our first trip to Maui because we had good experiences with other hotels for this chain in the past. And, in fact, the bedroom was really great -very clean, very comfortable and very quiet. We stayed at the Napalii tower and there was no construction noise at all. We could listen the waves and had an excellent ocean view from our balcony. I especially enjoyed the balcony to hang out during that time of the day between 11am and 3 pm when the sun is so strong that it will make you sunburned in 2 seconds.

Now, the worse was the service and food at the 3 restaurants located within the resort... We decided not to have a rental car for our trip so that we could relax better and not worry about driving anywhere. This meant that we had to rely more on the resort restaurants. One has to eat after all!

We started by trying the Japanese restaurant. The waiters were polite and courteous but the food was low quality and bland. My husband ordered ribs and got served what it looked like a piece of fat. I ordered fried rice which was quite bland. We decided not to go back there and tried Umalu which is the poolside bar.
At Umalu I got yelled at by a waitress because I was sitting in the wrong side. So she warned me that for my future reference (in her own words) if I want to sit at the Umalu poolside patio with self service I could only sit in an area that doesn't have any shady tables or sun umbrellas. I didn't really understand what she was saying because I ended up paying the same price for self service that I would have if I had a waiter waiting on my table. They also have all sorts of confusing signs about sitting. All in all, I think the waitress was unpolite and although the food was better that at the Japanese place, I didn't like being warned and told off by staff.
Finally, we decided to try the most expensive restaurant in the resort at Swan court. We got a room rate with breakfast included at the Swan court and were happy about the breakfast buffet and service. So we thought "hey let's try it for dinner". Dinner has horrible. Horrible is the word because after dinner I went to my bedroom and felt nauseous. After the nausea, I spent the whole night in the bathroom, sitting at the toilette, suffering through tummy aches. I had a 7 oz filet mignon, cooked medium, with fries and asparagus.

I am unsure if I would return to this Hyatt mostly because of the service and quality of the restaurants available was too low.
I also thought that the room service had a very limited menu but, even so, we ordered an hawaiin pizza that was pretty tasty.

If you decide to go to the Hyatt make sure to avoid the restaurants and go somewhere else. Whalers village has a few restaurants that are decent and it's walking distance from the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Full ocean view was very nice. We stayed in the 5th floor at Napilii tower with a king bed and we en...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rita R
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Found this place quite lsrge and sprawling. Lot of walking if you like this, however if you are older or disabled I would not recommend it. The pool area is not large enough to accommodate the number of guests. If you don't get a spot early, good luck trying to find a lounge chair. Service is good, as well it should be for a resort of this caliber. The breakfast buffet is way over priced. Dinner dining is enjoyable though. Currently there is construction adjacent to the resort which we didn't find obtrusive, but some may. I guess I was disappointed since this was our first time at a five star resort I expected it to be more over the top. It is right on the water if you prefer ocean swimming. Our room had a small bslconey but overlooked the construction of the new timeshare resort so you could only use it after work stopped at 5 pm. Construction will continue until January when it is supposed to open.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gypsywomen2
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Su Eu Young is an asset to this property. Unforseen plumbing conditions from the room next door all of our swim suits were sent out for two days!!! Ms Young immediately rectified the situation at Macys. Mind you I can't just go in to target and pick out a suit. She is simply AMAZING

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Randee J
HyattMauiManager, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Aloha Randee!
Thank you for your wonderful feedback on Su. I'm glad we were able to recover from some unforeseen mishaps and make your stay an enjoyable and memorable one!
Mahalo!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!