“Dissappointed”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We arrived at this hotel after spending 5 days at the Grand Hyatt on Kuai, so we were expecting about the same. We couldn't have been more incorrect.
There was a jam at the parking entrance to the hotel, and my husband was told he had to stay with the car or they would have to valet park it.
After waiting in a long line with people asking all kinds of questions, I was finally to be waited on by an extremely rude associate. First of all she told me my husband had to be present because his name was listed on the front of our itinerary. I explained that he was told he had to wait with the car. Her solution, just valet park it and move it before midnight then we would only be charged for self park ($4 less, it was $6 less when the trip was booked, but they wouldn't honor that). I said are you kidding me? I had to wait in line for this? She then looked through the booklet our travel agent gave us, and said oh, there's your name; you can check in. She then rushed me through the process gave hasty instructions, and had the nerve to be annoyed when I asked for clarification.
Then we self parked, hauled our luggage to the partial ocean view room. It was dark, dingy, and you really had to crane your neck to see the ocean. The view we had was the roof of the building next to the luau, the golf course, and the main road. Then there was the inconsiderate slob smoking on the balcony in a NON SMOKING hotel. I was not happy, and called the front desk to complain. I asked if we could be moved to a room with a better view of the ocean and no smokers. First the woman asked if I knew where the smoke was coming from because that was illegal in Hawaii. I said I couldn't tell. She came back on the line and said another room would be an additional $120 a night, but because they didn't have a room with a king bed they would only charge us $60 per night. I said fine. We grabbed our bags trekked back down the elevator, and tried to find the lobby as there are absolutely no signs directing you anywhere! We wandered around through the dark, dank, 60's looking "shopping area" where the rug smelled like cat urine. Finally found the lobby and got our new room. The decor was still ugly, somewhat dirty 60's inspired, but the view was better. What wasn't better; the jerk smoking a cigar on the balcony. I thought the toilet backed up the one night until I opened the sliding doors to let the fresh ocean air in, and the odor hit me like a smack in the face. The beds in this hotel are very low to the floor, and for taller people not comfortable at all to get in and out of. I wish I had taken a picture. The sheers on the balcony window looked like they had never been cleaned, rug had stains, one phone did not work, dark wood was not dusted properly as you could see the dust gathered in all the corners. I looked up pictures of the rooms on the hotel website, and they do not represent at all what we had in our room.
You are only allowed one towel per person for the pool per day, I did however see others with 2 or 3 per person. You were given a card you had to turn in for 1 towel. When you returned the towel you were given your card back for the next time you need a towel.
The buffet breakfast was abysmal. The basics were there, but not very good. The waitstaff was practically non existant, and rude. One day we had staff walking between us and the next table leaning over to grab things instead of walking down two stairs and not disturbing diners. Our waitress even just reached up and handed us our bill instead of coming around and placing on the table. She even remarked I know I shouldn't do this, but... here you go.
No one in this Hotel is friendly. In Kauai we were acknowledged by every staffer we walked past with aloha, and a smile. No one even acknowledges you in this place.
They were trying to sell timeshare in the new building they are erecting. Yes there is construction right next to one wing of the hotel, so be careful of what rooms you book. We didn't have an issue with that. We went to a luau on Front Street where someone else staying there said if you go through the sales pitch you get $100 off your bill. My response was "with the lack of upkeep, and/or updating of the current building there is no way I would buy into anything there.
The final straw was our last day when we went to leave the self parking in the back of the building. We were just going shopping before we had to leave, and had not checked out. The car in front of us couldn't get his card to work and had to push the call button. He got out fairly quickly. We used our card, and it didn't work. The display told us to push the call button. It must have rang 6 times before some rude man answered. My husband explained our card didn't work like the guy in front of us and the gate wouldn't open. The moron on the other end said, yes, but did you use your card. We said yes we did. Then he said are you sure you used it? I said the display said to call you after 2 swipes that didn't work (you idiot). Ok then, you'll have to stop up front and have the card re keyed. We came back later, and guess what? It worked not only to let us in the gate, but to get in the room.
I would go back to Maui, but never stay at this hotel again. There are others in the same area that have to be better then this dump.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel in the area
7  Thank C M
Write a ReviewReviews (6,658)

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel during our wedding preparations and honeymoon . We had the best time ever. The staff were helpful and friendly the facilities first rate and the room was lovely. The buffet breakfast was extensive and tasty. The gym facility is first class enough to keep even the most avid "gym junkie" happy. We had stayed here before and we're afraid that the building work was going to be a problem, it wasn't we never noticed any noise or inconvenience , the price was great, I recommend a stay here any time.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa during your wedding preparations and on your honeymoon. It is always nice to hear positive feedbacks from our guest and are grateful to know you liked very much the resort and most defiantly you will return again for its amazing location and excellent service and all the amenities that the hotel had to offer locally including the grounds, landscaping, and pool area. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed at this gorgeous resort on our honeymoon and had such an incredible time. The resort staff was fantastic. We splurged on a suite with an ocean view and it was 100% worth it!The restaurants on site were some of the best places to dine on Kaanapali and the hospitality was top notch! The grounds, landscaping, and pool area were so beautiful. The activities concierge were so friendly and helpful and seemed truly delighted to help make our trip the best it could be. (Thank you Michelle, we had a blast!) We could go on and on about how great this resort is. When we return to Maui, we will absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ocean View is a must! Leave your lanai door open and listen to the waves all night. Amazing.
1  Thank TheDyers2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa on your honeymoon. It is always nice to hear positive feedbacks from our guest and are grateful to know you liked very much the resort and most defiantly you will return again for its amazing location and excellent service and all the amenities that the hotel had to offer locally including the grounds, landscaping, and pool area. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

When you first drive up you may be underwhelmed, but it gets better, a lot better, once you get to the open-air lobby, the tropical gardens and the pools. This is the best pool playground in Ka’anapali, with lots of fun stuff for the kiddos. There were many first-class features in our oceanview room—a wonderful bed, high quality sheets & uphosltery, comfortable balcony chairs AND a table to set your drink on, large LCD TV screen—but then a couple of things were off, like a beat-up wooden magazine tray and a hint of stickiness when you walked barefoot on the carpet.

The location south of Black Rock puts you within walking distance of Whaler’s Village and restaurants at other hotels. If you don’t want to walk, you can ride the free Ka’anapali shuttle (stops at locations in Mid and South Kaanapali only).

Room Tip: Be aware that rooms classified as “obstructed view” face the construction site. Otherwise, even if...
Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Callejera1
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Just returned this evening from a 5 night stay with my girlfriend. Had a WONDERFUL time! Stayed in one of the deluxe oceanfront Regency Club rooms ("21st Floor"). The view was truly spectacular. It was well above the palm trees and had basically 180 degree view of beautiful beach and ocean scenery. Listening to the waves crash at night was truly delightful and relaxing.

We found all the staff to be incredibly helpful and friendly. I have seen some reviews of long waits, unfriendly staff, etc., and we just didn't find that in a single one of them. Particularly helpful was the valet staff. I have no idea how many times we got our car, but 5-6 times a day or more was pretty common. We never called in advance, and had our car in a matter of minutes every single time. They always welcomed us back (after they got to know us, of course), offered directions any time we left, offered to help with packages after shopping, luggage, etc. Yes, that is what valets are supposed to do, I guess, but I haven't encountered a friendly valet staff like this at any other hotel, and I have been to many, all over the world.

Also very helpful was Rita at the Expedia Concierge (thank you!!) and the entire staff up in the Regency Club Lounge. Very friendly, very helpful, and always welcoming.

Refreshing as well was that the pool was open 24/7. You never see that anymore...anywhere. Perhaps that's the norm in Maui, but everywhere else I've stayed in Hawaii, that was not the case. I guess it's somewhat difficult to close a pool that size, so maybe that's why they don't even try, but for us night owls, it was great to be able to head to the pool and hot tub for a late night swim, with literally nobody else around. It was very romantic.

I do have a complaint though, that quite frankly, just irritates me to no end. I'm not going to allow it to affect the 5 Star rating, but it is an issue that most certainly needs to be addressed. The drinks are horrendous!

I can see the quality of drinks suffering perhaps a little at the luau (Drums of the Pacific). It's an all-you-can drink, open bar affair, and truth be told, I could probably drink close to $100 worth of liquor during that 2 hour show. :P Bye bye profits. But seriously, the drinks were god awful. The mai tais tasted nothing like a mai tai I've ever had before. The vodka - lemonade was somewhat bearable, the blue Hawaiian was perhaps the best (though still awful), and the coup de grâce was the screwdriver. You can't mess up a screwdriver...you just can't. It's so simple, yet so yummy. Well they managed to screw it up. Just tasted horrendous. This all actually became a running joke with the other couples we were seated with, and eventually became a game...find the drink that somewhat tastes like what it's supposed to taste like. It's a game you just can't win there. Though on the plus side, I did have perhaps a bigger mixture of different drinks than I have in a long time, trying to find one that was palatable. One couple we were with visited the bar and noted that a single name brand liquor was nowhere to be seen. Water down the crap liquor and you get what we got for 2 hours.

But the bad drinks did not stop at the luau. Everywhere we went in the hotel, the drinks were awful. This was in basically every restaurant and bar located on the Hyatt property. Everything from screwdrivers, to mai tais, to margaritas, to fruity rum drinks just tasted awful. And they were expensive to boot! I realize we're in paradise and at a resort, but when I pay $14 for a margarita, I expect a large drink that actually tastes like a margarita, not a champagne-sized glass full of horrible-tasting liquor.

Now, go a block or two away to Whaler's Village...basically any restaurant there...and you get some amazing drinks, exactly as you would expect in a tropical paradise.

I hate to take half my review writing about something as inconsequential as alcohol, but it really did put a bad taste in our mouths, literally and figuratively speaking. :) Just a litlte something for the Hyatt folks to think about and work on.

We will absolutely be back! I found my new home for when I visit Maui.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with the Regency Club rooms. Yes they are expensive, but the views just can'...
4  Thank Bryan W

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. Despite the quality of drinks offered at the Luau, it is always nice to hear positive feedbacks from our guest and are grateful to know you liked very much the resort and most defiantly you will return again for its amazing location and excellent service and all the amenities that the hotel had to offer locally including the grounds, landscaping, breakfast, pool area, and the Regency Club. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We read lots of reviews before we went on our trip. You will hear lots of talk about the construction and people being upset, but we never experienced any of that. We were in the Atrium tower with an ocean view and you couldn't have asked for anything better. There are so many shops at the resort and if you need water, snacks or other small items, the store in the hotel is priced the same as the ABC stores around town. We only ate on property for breakfast daily at Swan Court and once at the steakhouse and all were very good meals. Lots of wildlife to see and interact with as well. Sit in the nice breezy area with the Koi in the morning at enjoy your coffee. While eating breakfast, swans will sail right up to your table and you can see flamingos in the background. Great pool, friendly staff and a room with everything we needed. We went to the Luau as well. It was average entertainment and food, but was part of our group's events. Don't think we would have paid to do it on our own.

Great art store in the hotel as well. Has pieces by over 120 different artist's ranging from $10 to several thousand dollars. You can get just about anything here and it's all genuine Hawaii made.

Walk down to Whaler's Village for some of the best shopping on the Island as well as great food. It's only a 15 minute walk and so beautiful along the way. You will get bugged by all of the property's trying to sell you a time share, but just cruise on by them. There is also a trolly you can take from here to the bus station if you do not want to get a car.

We did rent a car and drive the Road To Hana. Very secenic drive, but it was a 12 hour day from start to finish with no lunch. Lots of waterfalls and overlooks to stop at, but don't expect anything when you get to Hana, it's about the ride there and not the destination.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Ginnie S

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa during your recent vacation. It is always nice to hear positive feedbacks from our guest and are grateful to know you liked very much the resort as well as the ocean view offered from your room. Also, it is nice to here that you had the best stay ever due to its amazing location, excellent service and all the amenities that the hotel had to offer locally including the grounds, landscaping, and pool area. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We loved Maui and the Hyatt made our stay wonderful. The view was great, the food was excellent and the luau could not be beat. Clean, friendly, only one minor problem, the ac was a little noisy.

The Hyatt is close to shopping, golf, or just walking on the beach. It was the final 3 days of a 3-island tour and we found it to be our favorite. Oahu was great for big city lovers, Kawai was great for rural lovers, but Maui has it all.

If I had to choose one island to visit, this would be it. And the Hyatt was a great place. The pools were excellent, the poolside restaurant was really good and the price was reasonable for Hawaii.

Room Tip: They have several different views...we had mountain/ocean with another tower between.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa during your recent vacation. It is always nice to hear positive feedbacks from our guest and are grateful to know you had a wonderful stay and you liked very much the resort as well as the ocean view offered from your room. Also, it is nice to here that you had the best stay ever due to its amazing location, excellent service and all the amenities that the hotel had to offer locally including the grounds, landscaping, and pool area. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!