“Our Honeymoon~ Amazing Maui!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
melbourne
“Our Honeymoon~ Amazing Maui!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I started our Honeymoon in Maui, we stayed at the resort for 8 days and had the most amazing experience. A bottle champagne was waiting for us in our room and we had the most beautiful view over looking the pools and beach. The food and view at breakfast from the swan room each morning was the perfect way to start each day! Maui was absolutely stunning!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lydjov
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I am so happy to hear that you had such an amazing experience at our resort. It sounds like from the moment you arrived you found the resort to be beautifully appointed and the service to be top notch. It is great to hear that you found your view from your room to be amazing. Thank you for choosing to spend you honeymoon at our resort. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa in the future!

Brock S - A Guest Relations Associate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Hyatt Maui Review:

My family has always loved Hyatt hotels, to start. Hyatt is our favorite hotel/resort chain to stay at because they are just fantastic. With our 16 year old son we shoved off to Maui after spending most of our previous visits at the Hyatt Kauai.
Pros:
The Hyatt Maui is in a fantastic setting. The island of Maui had changed much since we visited back in the early 2000s. At that time the Kaanapali region had not been developed, but our family did our due diligence and research. The Hyatt Maui is at a slight disadvantage in terms of location. It is located at the end of the Kaanapali beach resort “complex” which is basically just a stretch of resorts that line Kaanapali beach. It’s a great area that is something you can’t find on the island of Kauai or the Big Island, the new other islands we had frequented before this one. The resort itself does do good with its poor location. Being located at the end of the beachfront gives the Hyatt the worst beach of all the resorts on Kaanapali. It isn’t bad, and compared to our Socal beaches it is far from bad, but to see some true cool beach go down a walkway and you can see the best beachfront. I’d say in front of the Westin or Sheraton near the blackrock is the best (I’ve heard near the Sheraton is the best area for snorkeling, but since my family isn’t a snorkeling family I can’t confirm this).
The lobby of the Hyatt is amazing and the view you see when you walk in spectacular and the waters of Maui are beyond anything on the islands. The weather is always sunny and dry, unlike the weather on Kauai, which is known to be slightly rainy all year round or the weather of the Big Island, which has the famous volcanic fog (“vog”). So, again, the island of Maui is amazing. Lahaina is a short 15 minute drive and is an amazing beach town unlike any other. The Road to Hana is spectacular, with amazing views and little towns. Wailea has the better beach and the more luxurious resorts. We visited the beach just to swim and it is truly an amazing destination as well. The activities around the resort are great. I’d say compared to the Hyatt Kauai, it definitely has the leg-up in terms of activities. For a resort on Maui, its location is great as well.
The pools at the Hyatt Maui set it apart from the other Kaanapali resorts. Besides the Westin, the Hyatt Maui’s property is definetly the greatest. It is classic Hyatt, with amazing grounds and restaurants. Of course the pools, the main pool, waterfalls, and the second pool as well as the kids pool are all amazing additions. It can’t beat the Hyatt Kauai’s pool complex, but in terms of Maui it is more than anything you can ask for. I would add that the views from the rooms are amazing and it is easier to get an ocean view here than I’ve seen at other Hawaiian properties.
The food is great. The Swan Court was our personal favorite, as well as the poolside food (which expensive, but the service is fantastic). The property is beautiful inside, with an amazing selection of shops as well.

Cons:
There are a few reasons to not consider the Hyatt Maui. For starters its location is poor on Kaanapali. For Hyatt people like my family that isn’t terrible, a short walk and you have the better beachfront, and even so, the beach by the far side of the hotel is fine by us, but if you want amazing beachfront, then this place isn’t the best.
The pools get awfully crowded. And, while the pools are large and ample for swimming, the chairs fill up quick. I thought this was a stupid complaint when researching this resort before we went away, it’s true. The chairs fill up quickly and there is little shade. So it is no chairs, and the chairs you get are really sunny. Not bad, but if you want shade, it is difficult.
Restaurants can fill up quickly. Make a reservation just in case.
I would also rent a car. This isn’t really a con, but just for peace of mind, rent one to get from edge of the island to the other. This is self-explanatory in Hawaii, but even if you plan to just chill in the hotel your entire stay, have some precaution.

All in all, our vacation was great. You can’t go wrong staying at a place at this caliber. The expenses can add up here, but I’d say this was a great vacation and a great resort. Always great to patronize Hyatt brands, and hope I helped any of you make a great decision!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building were fantastic!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Shelby G
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife and I are finishing up our last night stay here for our honeymoon. We made sure on numerous occasions to let the hotel know that we are staying here for our special honeymoon occasion, however they completely failed to acknowledge it. The grounds on the hotel are very pretty, but there is definitely room for improvement. Our hotel room is very small, very nice ocean view though. The bathroom is a tiny, military style bathroom, with a standard shower that practically touches the toilet. The blanket on the bed (which is covered on top and bottom by two sheets) had a large blood stain on it from prior guests - how disgusting, we noticed it when the top sheet moved off the blanket, we informed them and they did change the sheets. The hotel definitely has way too many children at the pool, and does not cater to honeymooners at all. The hotel did not at all acknowledge that we are here on our honeymoon, not a single rose on the bed, bottle of champagne, complimentary dessert, nothing. All in all, we were not happy and will not be returning to this hotel, especially for the price that we paid. They nickel and dime you with resort and parking fees, the service is not good, and they lack attention to detail.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Jmaim0422
HyattMauiManager, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Aloha - and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for what looks like was a complete oversight on a chance to make this stay more memorable for you! Honeymooners that stay with us receive a lei greeting, keepsake amenity, coupon for 2 maitais or 2 glasses of sparkling wine and an invitation to our culinary demonstration to cheers and celebrate with other newly weds such as yourself. We take great care into recognizing and celebrating our newlyweds/anniversary couples - so I am disappointed to read your review and would love to have the chance to look into your stay to find what opportunities we missed out on. If you have a moment to DM me, I would be grateful for the chance to hear more about your overall stay. I hope your overall Maui visit was a great one - Mahalo for bringing this to our attention!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

First and foremost, hopefully you've read a few reviews and now know and can expect the resort fee & parking fees (Approx. $50 a day). Simply budget it into the cost. (Although I must admit, I just don't understand why they don't put it into the price to eliminate all of the complaints!)

Second - the construction had no impact on my stay. I saw it coming and going, but that was it.

Strengths:
- Staff - very professional and friendly
- Welcome Lei and Amenities (Lei was so beautiful!)
- Ocean-Front View (outstanding!)
- Towel Service
- Pool area basically creates an "Adult area" and Kid area". I LOVED that.
- Fun slide into the pool!
- Pool area was probably the best / largest in comparison to the others nearby.
- Regency Club was top notch / professional
- Easy, close access to the beach
- Delicious smoothies and pool-side food/beverage service
- Penguins and wildlife onsite :)
- BEAUTIFUL grounds!
- Close to Whaler's Village and Lahaina

"Weaknesses" - although, the strengths outweigh the weaknesses, therefore no adjustment in the rating.
- Beach was inconsistent for swimming. Always lots of room, but only great for swimming when the tide was high. When the tide was low, the rocks down below were too close, and we ended up with some small cuts/bruises. Solution: We found that if we just walked down the beach about a 5 minute walk, it was perfect. So, if the tide is low, then walk down just a bit. Tide high = enjoy the waves with very few people around!
- Beach chairs - too close & not quite enough with shade. Solution - send someone down early. Although personally, I will never understand paying to go to Hawaii only to sit at the pool.
- Location of Kaanapali Beach was a bit out of the way for a few of our activities, but again, the strengths outweighed the inconvenience and we just enjoyed the views during the drive.

Tips:
Walk down to the right for an enjoyable walk to Whalers Village. Lots of activities going on along the way. Personally, I would bring my own mask and snorkel if I were to come back. That would have been very nice to have in the beautifully clear water!

Room Tip: Ocean Front is a must.
4 Thank JAKHouston
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for taking your time to review the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the great views and wildlife at our hotel. We hope that you have an opportunity to return in the future.
Best Regards,
Annah E., Guest Relations Associate
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

My daughter, who just graduated, and I stayed at the Hyatt on Maui. The excellent service started when we pulled up to the front door. After flying for over 10 hours and then driving from the airport to the hotel, I opted for valet parking [$20/day]. As I had a slight mishap where I badly injured my ankle on my 2nd day there, the valet parking was definitely worth it. Check-in was seamless. The room was well appointed with a nice balcony, large bathroom area, bar fridge, safe and nice toiletries. The resort is absolutely beautiful with well groomed lawns, several swimming areas and many activities well suited for families. The breakfast buffet was wonderful with a view looking out over one of the ponds on the property. When we needed something in our room, it seemed only seconds later it was cheerfully delivered. The concierge was great about helping us book a tour to Hana. There is a convenient local bus that takes you into Lahaina [$2] each way. There are also dining spots in the same general area, although a car would be needed. The only downside to be aware of is there is a "resort fee" of $30 added on to your bill each day. This may be fine for longer stays or for families where you could take advantage of all that the hotel has to offer but in our case, with my injured ankle and our short stay, we were not able to avail ourselves of the various offerings included in this fee. For short stays, it would be nice to instead have a pay as you go option. One whole day we spent on tour in Hana, the first day we arrived late in the evening, the 2nd was was getting over the jet lag and the 3rd day was our tour to Hana and then it was time to checkout.
Joan, Toronto, Canada

Room Tip: ask for ocean view and /or overlooking the pool areas
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank lovecruisedeals
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. I'm so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the wonderful amenities our hotel has to offer. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the wonderful view our restaurant offer. I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again. I will certainly forward your feedback to our management team.

Becky S-Guest Relations Associate
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was our first time to Maui and we were debating this hotel vs the Westin or the Sheraton as a place to stay to celebrate our anniversary. So glad we chose the Hyatt Regency Maui! The Hyatt Team (from reservations to the Hyatt Regency Maui hotel staff) were easy to work with and very accommodating! I especially appreciated the email I received about a week prior to our departure from Kelci, the VIP Manager at the hotel. It was nice to be acknowledged as an elite hyatt gold passport member and provided with all the elite benefits the hotel offers. The grounds of the hotel are absolutely stunning! The pools were great. It was nice to have the main pool fully exposed to the sun with the ability to play basketball, chill with a floaty or lounge around the poolside step. The grotto pool and bar made for a nice, cool, shade break. There were lots of people in the pool and poolside yet it didn't feel crowded. There were plenty of pool chairs, although I would recommend getting to the pool early to get a prime location and/or shade around one of the stationary grass hut-like umbrellas. We even rented a private cabana for two facing the ocean which we thought was worth the $75/day to have a comfy spot away from the hustle and bustle of the poolside. The poolside bar, Umalu had really tasty food and drinks! Service was real fast both eating at the bar and poolside! Additionally, the sushi at Japengo is the best I've ever had- world class!!

If you are considering if the Regency Club is worth it, I'd say yes! We ate breakfast there everyday and on some evenings when we had a big lunch we opted to eat the lighter dinner fare at the Club which was really yummy. Might not be quite enough to replace a full dinner, but definitely a good appetizer at the least.

Saving the best for last...the rooms! Highly recommend the ocean front rooms! Our view was amazing, spanning the majority of Ka'anapali Beach and Lanai and also overlooking the beautiful pool. They do a good job of controlling the pool noise in the evenings and mornings so most of what we heard from inside our room and balcony every morning and evening were birds and ocean waves. The Hyatt beds are super comfy and the Spa Moana toiletries leave your skin & hair with a nice hint of tropical smell.
Overall the hotel exceeded our expectations!
We are already talking about our return trip to the Hyatt Regency Maui!

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade, select the oceanfront room. The views seemed even better than the sui...
3 Thank YappyTails
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
I am very happy to hear that we were able to make you Anniversary a memorable one! Thank you very much for your kind review. It sounds like you were able to take full advantage of all the wonderful amenities the hotel has to offer. Please do come back to see us soon, we would love to have you!

Thanks,

Danny
Cool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This stay was during my recent trip to Maui in May 2014. This review is for the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa in Lahaina, Maui in Hawaii.

Property: Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa
Location: Lahaina, Maui (Hawaii)
Phone: (808) 661-1234
Website: www.maui.hyatt.com
Room Type/Class: 7 Nights (Center Tower/Atrium Tower Rooms - Ocean Front - Room #2017)
Date: May 21-May 28, 2014
Booking Source: Direct (5 nights), Hotwire (2 nights)
Overall Rating: 4.5/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

I have stayed in Maui many times, and this is my third stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, where I stayed one night in 2012 and five nights in 2013.

The resort offers both valet and self-park options, and since it is one of the ones where self-parking is pretty convenient, I opted to go that route (though it is a bit of a walk).

Currently and, as I understand it, though December, there is a huge construction project going on in the open space between the Hyatt Regency and Marriott's Maui Ocean Club at the north part of the property. Under construction is the Hyatt Residence Club Ka'anapali Beach. It is the size and scope of another full, single building resort, which is currently being marketed as a timeshare project.

You can't miss this project, as it is quite obvious walking or driving up to the front of the resort, along with a large crane that can even be seen from out of the area. There is a chain link fence running all along the front of this project, with vinyl installed on top of the fencing with a faux plant design over it. One side of the Napili Tower rooms face this construction project.

As was true with my past experience, the staff at the Hyatt were top notch - friendly and professional. Check-in was smooth and easy.

The resort features an open center area with the rooms circling around, going up many floors, so the hallways are all open and on the interior side of the building going up, and therefore all room windows point out (with view varying depending on which side of the building you are staying in). In my photos below is a site map/property map to give a better idea of the layout, as well as the accompanying photos.

With this visit, I stayed at the Center Tower/Atrium Tower in one of their ocean front rooms, which offers a spectacular 180 degree view from the balcony.

During this stay, one morning there was an amazing double rainbow across the ocean, and a few of the nights there were incredible lightning storms way across the ocean (photos of both included at the bottom of this article).

The room was very nice... large, comfortable, fairly up to date (for Maui), with a nice partial ocean view from the well-sized lanai. Overall, it was nice, comfortable, and clean.

Some of the in-room amenities included a desk, two mini fridges (in my prior stay they would stock one with a pay per use feature, which is now gone), and a digital safe deep enough to accommodate a large laptop (17" screen) as well as many cameras and camera lenses I brought on my trip, which is amazing. It is the largest in-room digital safe I've ever found in all of my travels.

The resort itself is very nice, with some great ocean views, multiple restaurants, and a huge, sprawling pool.

In addition to parrots that they bring out throughout the day, there is also a family of resident penguins, which were really neat to watch. They have little huts to sleep in, and also go swimming in their pond. Further down the property, closer to the beach, are some beautiful swans.

One of the resorts in Ka'anapali that I've stayed out multiple times is the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa. One big difference between the two properties is the beach area. The Sheraton is famous for Black Rock and snorkeling, and has a huge beach area. Conversely, the Hyatt has a very short the beach area, with not too much beach/sand between the sidewalk running across the back and the waves of the ocean hitting the beach. One benefit is that it is usually sparsely populated or empty, so you can enjoy some solitude. I did spot several big sea turtles while hanging out on the beach. The pool area and amenities at Hyatt, in my opinion, are superior to the same at The Sheraton (and the Westin, for that matter).

Their Umalu outdoor eating area is excellent for lunch/sandwich type fare.

I had an opportunity to eat at their high end Japengo one of the nights, which was fantastic and highly recommended. One of the big benefits of visiting Maui are all of the fabulous eating options throughout the island, so one might not consider trying one of the resort-based restaurants, but this one was really good. The service and food was excellent, and they have a great menu with a lot of options. There is also a nice view closer to the beach, and timed right you can enjoy one of the amazing Maui sunsets.

Two of the days during my stay I rented the "Ohana Tent", which was very expensive but offered a ton of relaxation and privacy right on the beach.

All in all I had a very nice stay. For me, staying at resorts on Maui, I place a higher priority on the beach area, as opposed to pool area. But if you are more pool/poolside-oriented and/or you have a family, I would recommend the Hyatt. It is also a convenient walk to Whaler's Village, which is nice (and I believe that they have shuttle accommodations as well).

I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely return again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Rock-Subculture
Thank you for your feedback of our property, it is much appreciated. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the rooms and the amenities they have to offer. We look forward to the next time we can welcome you back with us!

Thanks,

Danny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!