“This is my 4th time staying here!!”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“This is my 4th time staying here!!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel!! Whenever I go to Maui, I always stay here. The location is great and the resort is beautiful. The staff is friendly and the hotel is clean.

The Hyatt is located on Kanapali beach. The only real down fall to this hotel, is that the beach isn't very big. However, it's not really that big of a deal because you can walk down the path to the very next hotel and you have yourself a bigger beach. There is a nice long walking path that stretches down Kanapali beach. Very easy and a pretty walk. It will take you to whalers village where you can shop, eat and walk around.
The Westin is right there and they have a pretty huge beach right in front.

The resort is so well manicured. They have a lot of birds, fish and penguins to look at. During certain hours they will bring out the exotic birds.

Now for the pool. I love this pool because they have a separate kids pool and what a great kids pool it is!! They have a little water slide for them and the pool has sand in it and it's very shallow. Right next to the kids pool is the big water slide. My boys loved it!! It drops you off into the very deep end and then you can swim under the waterfall through the cave to the other side of the pool. Oh and by the way, if you find you need a drink on the way back to the other side of the pool, you can swim on up to the bar in the cave.

The rooms are nice no complaints there. I highly recommend getting a deluxe ocean view. It's so nice to sit on your lanai and watch the sunset.

The food is ok. We always get the buffet breakfast included. The have a lot of different options. We usually always went out to dinner. We would walk down to whalers village or we would drive into Lahina and eat.

Great hotel.. I prefer it over the Westin. Plus, the rooms are smaller at the Westin.

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank humuhumunukunukuopaa
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for being such a loyal guest! I am o happy to hear that you enjoy the rooms, the location and the pools. It sounds like your children had a fantastic time playing in the pools. I hope you come back again for the 5th time!

Warm Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,320)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Riverside, California
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Very little beaches, but several sea turtles hang out right by the shore. Food and other items are VERY EXPENSIVE. Nice open feel as you enter. Nice gym and restaurants are not anything special. Very cool pool area that is open 24 hours a day. Don't think I would stay here again.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Socaldolfan
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2015
Good Morning Socaldolfan,

Thank you so much for being our guest at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. We appreciate your compliments on our resort and amenities, such as, dining outlets, our gym and our pools. We appreciate all your suggestions and concerns and I am disheartened to hear that you will not be returning. We really hoped to welcome you back.

Best wishes,

San Jose, California
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We just returned from a 9 night stay. We have 2 small children and decided a queen bed with pull out couch. We had an L shaped room and worked great for us. We overlooked the construction and it wasn't bad (as we are on California time zone, so we woke up early anyway). My only complaint is the cost of food at the resort ($19 for poolside hamburger, $12 Mai Tai). For family travel it got really expensive without near access for really any other options. The Swan Breakfast Buffet is very nice and our package included a Buy One Get One free option which helped a lot, and they asked for the age of our children which they charge less. But otherwise, my kids were CRAZY about the beautiful parrots, penguins, the pool is fantastic, friendly staff. The beach is not that great with coral close the the access entry into the water, but we just walked 1 hotel down Kaanapali and we were able to enjoy the ocean. Kaanapali is wonderful, close to Lahaina. We had a great vacation.

Room Tip: Corner rooms provide more space for families-choose King Bed with a Pullout couch for the kids
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie Y
Aloha Julie Y,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience from your family vacation at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. Thank you for all of your feedback and giving our travelers with small children an idea of what type of room accommodations that may work for them. I have forwarded your suggestions with the food pricing at this location to our executive management, they really appreciate any feedback you have from your travels so thank you again! Look forward to welcoming the whole back soon.

Mahalo!

Salem, or
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My sister and I decided to splurge for this trip and decided to stay at the Hyatt. Overall we and had a fabulous time. We initially booked a room on the side next to the construction and did end up upgrading our room to a garden/partial view for additional $20 per night but it was well worth it. Great location.

Our room was clean and good size with a good size bathroom.

Guest service was excellent. We found staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. Valet parking was $20 per day and resort fees $30 per day.

Beaches were nice and clean and steps from the hotel. The pool area was also nice. There was a separate kids pool which was nice.

We enjoyed happy hours at the restaurant on the site though a little bit on the spendy side especially the cocktails since the hotel had a liquor tax. Beware if the birds if you eat by the swan restaurant.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Y S
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your vacation at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. We appreciate you and sister choosing Hyatt for your travels and thrilled to hear you had a great time! I am pleased to learn that you loved your room accommodations and our team members provided you with amazing customer service! We will be sure to thank them for this awesome experience they helped with. We can not wait to welcome you back.

Warm regards,

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

When I booked this hotel I was skeptical due to all the negative reviews. We were pleasantly surprised that we encountered none and I mean none of the issues that were stated in those reviews. Our whole trip was hassle free and the staff did a great job too. I guess the only negative was our room AC did not work well at first, but they got it fixed ASAP and it was a non issue after that. This hotel does have a lot of kids though and I would not call it a honeymooners hotel for that reason. Other than that what more can you ask for. You are right down the walkway from the #1 beach in Maui. Also, the hotel has a great luau and the main hula girl can shake it like nobody's business so us guys enjoy the show too. Old town Lahaina is nice for shopping. It's down the road and easy to get to. I would come back to the hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank TradeshowGuy14
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback in regards to your recent stay! I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. Please come back and visit us again soon, we would love to have you stay with us again!

Thanks,

Danny
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed for a week in June 2014 in a room discounted because it overlooked the construction of the time share building next door. It was a great deal as we also had an ocean view and the construction did not interfere with our stay in any way. It was actually interesting to watch the workers build the pool area and the building itself. Take advantage of this discount while you can.

Other reviews state that the hotel needs some updating and this is true somewhat in the rooms however they are fine and the location of the hotel is great. What set this place apart for me was the service. Starting with the valets, front desk and the others we encountered during our stay the service was friendly, understated and professional. We always felt welcome and appreciated.

I wish I could remember more names at this point but I wanted to make special mention of the big guys that parked our car and the crew at the pool bar. We had great service at the upstairs restaurant and bar as well (Japengo) and would recommend this place; it is pricey but you cannot beat the view especially during sunset and the bar itself is a great place to hang out in the evening as they always have live music.

We spent most of our time down at the pool bar (Umalu). The portions are huge so you can easily try a few things and share. The drinks are great (drink your Mai Tais on Monday) and the service is fantastic. They also have some nice TVs down there so we were able to watch the world cup during our stay. During the winter you can catch NFL football starting at 8 AM and still have plenty of time to enjoy your day.

Special special mention to David, Becca and Mike down at Umalu pool bar. David was especially welcoming, efficient and professional. He is fast without being hurried, friendly without being fake and a great host. Thank you to everyone for making us feel welcome and taking care of my family.

Other notes/suggestions:

- room service pizza needs to improve or go away
- buffet breakfast either needs to be cheaper or better (see westin)
- go to Paradise grill for early bird breakfast - half price
- thank you for being very low key about the time share
- hotel is right on the beach which is great - head north for less rocks
- keep an eye out for sea life. we saw turtles, eels and seals right from the beach
- not a ton of shade by the pool so grab a spot with some cover
- try the green bean fries at the pool bar

Room Tip: grab the deal on the discounted rooms while it lasts
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank PDXTravelers6
Aloha PDXTravelers6,

We appreciate you going out of your way to share feedback on your vacation at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. So great to hear you had an amazing stay and were able to take advantage of a low rate due to construction on site. I am so happy to hear the construction did not disturb your stay! We will definitely thank and recognize our team members for the amazing service they provide. David, Becca, and Mike will be so thrilled to hear from you! Thank you for your suggestions and concerns, they have been forwarded to our management to review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in July 2014. This was our first trip to Maui and it did not disappoint! The hotel is beautiful and in great condition. The location is great as it is on the beach and walking distance to Whalers Village. The beach in front of this hotel is a little small, but it is a short walk to a bigger part of the beach. The check-in process was quick and easy and the front desk staff were great to work with. We had a full ocean view room that was very spacious, clean and had a beautiful view of the ocean and pool. The bathrooms could use some updating but did not dampen our experience. The wifi works great in the room and was even fast enough to stream video without any issues.

We had breakfast included in our package and were happy with the selection they had every morning. It is a buffet style breakfast with fruit, muffins, cereal, toast, eggs, potatoes, pancakes, French toast, juice, etc. They change the offerings a little bit each day for variety. I believe the cost is $25 per person if it is not included in your room, personally I am not sure it is worth that much if you had to pay for it, but since it was included in our package I was very happy with it.

We booked all of the activities we wanted to do in Maui through their activities concierge. The particular lady we worked did not have the best customer service skills and was borderline rude. Luckily we had done a lot of research and knew what we activities we wanted to book so we were able to get what we wanted. Had we wanted more advice or information I would have asked to speak with someone different.

We did the luau at the Hyatt and would recommend if you have never been to one before. Personally, I would pick the cheapest package as the area they have the luau isn't that big so I don't think there is a bad seat in the house, not worth paying the extra money for the VIP tickets.

The pool is big and never felt too crowded and the waterslide was a lot of fun. The only drawback is there is not enough umbrellas for shade and people go down very early in the morning to reserve chairs in the shade so they can be hard to get.

Overall this hotel is great and we would highly recommend it to everyone. We had such a great vacation here and didn't want to leave! We will definitely be back in the future!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank skalpal
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for posting this review of our beautiful Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. I was very happy to read that you and your wife enjoyed the beach, pool, breakfast buffet, wifi, and the view. I hope you can come back and stay with us in the future.

-John S, Guest Relations Associate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!