Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
US$731
US$479
US$466
  • Beachfront
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$326
US$1,516
US$1,461
Hotels.com
6,997 results
All reviewsswan courtatrium towerour honeymoonbreakfast buffetswim up barexotic birdsself parkingresort feewalk in closetpool areawhalers villagelahaina towerkaanapali beachpartial ocean viewmaui resortocean frontkids pool
Reviewed 28 March 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency for 6 nights in October for our honeymoon. The hotel is amazing as well as the staff. Everyone is very friendly. We had the breakfast buffet included in our package, and I would highly recommend this for anyone who is considering this option. The reason being is that if you're staying in Kannapali, there isn't much option for breakfast unless you want to take a walk to Whaler's Village. There is a small food court as well as a few restaurants @ Whalers Village. Or you could get in the car and drive to Lahaina which isnt' too far away either.

There is not much beach to this hotel. If you want to be at a beach, stay at the Sheraton instead. The pool is the cool part of the hotel. Very nice grounds with tropical animals all over. The rooms are decent, although it probably could use another renovation. No complaints though.

In terms of activities, I do recommend visiting the little activity shop right by the buffet. One person can help you coordinate all activities for your stay. Definitely do the sunrise at Haleakala and if you're adventurous, you must do the bike down. It's amazing and definitely scary at first, but you get the hang of it after you pass a couple of curves. The view of the sunrise is unbelievable...you have to dress warmly though!! The view from the bike down is a definite can't miss either. We also drove to Hana as well and also took the boat ride for the snorkeling adventure at Molokai.

We also visited the Spa at the Hyatt and I do have to admit that it was extremely pricey for the service we received. I think it was over $400 for the both of us to get a one hour couples massage. I'm not sure if there are any other hotels that would offer something a bit cheaper? We didn't do much research on this.

We're total foodies so the places that we loved to eat was Mama's Fish House. Yes, expensive, but the food is wonderful. If you're a sushi person, go to Sansei. Old Lahaina Luau is definitely an experience you don't want to miss, but the food is average. I've heard some folks say that if you go to Aloha Mixed Plate, the food the serve there is leftover from the Luau! Aloha Mixed Plate is SUPER cheap, plus you get a nice view of the beach. Don't expect fine dining though. One place I would totally avoid is Lelani's in Whaler's VIllage. We were advised to go there from the person that coordinated all of our activities at the hotel. This was the only suggestion that we were completely disappointed with. I think we would have rather eaten at McDonald's. The bill was over $100 and the food sucked so bad. I had a side of brocoli with my fish, and I swear they just reheated frozen brocoli!!! I will never forget that. If I'm paying $30+ for a dinner entree, I would at least expect fresh vegetables!!

All in all, Maui was such a wonderful place to go for a honeymoon. The only thing we didn't get to do was head down to Wailea. I hear the Fairmont there is superb. If we go back, I think that would be where we would like to stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank luvs2travelChicago
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Often times we each have an idea of the perfect vacation and we hope that our Travel Agent “dials up” that perfect scenario for us to unwind, reset and plan our new and improved “take” on our day-to-day lives upon our return to civilization. Well, in March, 2009, I could not have needed this type of “Vacation Therapy” more so I contacted my Travel Agent (Fran at “Protravel International”) and told her what I was seeking. Without hesitation she recommended the “Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa.” So, I went for a one (1) week stay in mid-March, 2009 and I can honestly say that it was as spectacular, relaxing and memorable as any brochure claims it is.

I had a partial Ocean-View room and it was totally worth the few extra dollars because sitting on the balcony watching the Sunset while reading was as cool as you fantasize it to be. The grounds were immaculate and completely focused on “chilling out” with an active pool but also a walkway along the beach to a quieter area if that is what you desired. The Hyatt is at one end of the stretch of luxury hotels in Maui and the walkway along the beach gives you a very nice view of each Hotel as well as the gorgeous background of the Ocean. I guess it is what you make of it but how can it ever be bad when the starting point and ingredients are pool, beach, Ocean and gorgeous Sunsets?

I did different things each day but they were all somehow related to the Hyatt. For example, shortly after my arrival I introduced myself to the Tennis Pro (“Frank”) and I explained that I was just looking for someone to hit with a few times during my one week stay so that I could exercise a bit. Frank immediately made me feel comfortable and he worked out a schedule for me and I think that in addition to enjoying hitting with each other we started to hang out a bit and it was fun. He offered me tips – and I can certainly use them – but he seemed to know exactly when to be the “tennis pro” and when to simply be a “hitting companion.” The setting where the tennis courts are situated is SO beautiful and relaxing. There is nothing like getting up early to hit tennis balls at 8 AM in Maui and feel yourself slowly come alive to the sound of a solidly hit tennis ball mixed in with birds chirping and other wildlife wake-up in the background. I brought my own tennis racket but you needn’t bring yours as Frank seemed to have a wide variety of rackets. I also quizzed Frank about some daytrips I should take and he gave me excellent advice – along with a Map pointing out the joints I must check out. All in all – the tennis part was a major highlight of my week.

I also went on a snorkeling half day trip on the Hyatt’s “Hula Girl” boat and that was pure perfection. The boat is almost brand new, the lunch was great and the crew was extremely professional and safety conscious but also very laid back and cool. If I had to diagram how I would want such a snorkeling trip to go – well – they stole the playbook!

Breakfast at the Hyatt was a totally adequate Buffet in an amazingly beautiful setting which was half inside and half outside with birds flying in and out. I believe my breakfast was included in the travel package I had and I made it there about half of the days because on the other days I slept-in. Hey, I was on vacation so …. I had dinner my last night at the Hyatt’s beautiful ocean-view restaurant and it also was perfect. The food was great, the setting was fantastic and the service was excellent.

There were always two (2) Concierge-like people at the front of the Hyatt offering advice on things to do and answering any questions about the Hyatt or about Maui. I found these folks to be extremely knowledge and detail-oriented. They even set me up with a Golf Trip to the island of Lana’i which included taking a ferry and renting clubs and they facilitated everything without any problems. I did have a situation or two where there was a slight mistake by the hotel staff such as a missed wake-up call but the Hotel’s response to my compliant was so cool that it wound up being more of a “bonding experience” and I left the Hyatt with even more confidence in trusting them with my valuable vacation time. (In the missed Wake-Up call circumstance the Hotel Operator felt so bad that she sent me a tasty basket of chocolate and in another situation one of the Assistant Hotel Mangers gave me free access to the Spa.)

In terms of the Spa, I did not get around to checking it out until my last day and that was a mistake because it is AMAZING. The “relaxation room” is picturesque as it is “enclosed” but also open in the front where lying on a lounge chair would have you facing out into the Ocean with the fresh ocean air blowing in to refresh you. I did not get a Spa Treatment but I was told they have approximately 15 treatment rooms so I got the feeling that there would not be a long wait. However, I did very much enjoy just hanging out and relaxing in that room.

I could go on and on but I think you get the picture. The only negative comment I have is that the interior of my Guest Room seemed a bit dated and while I had a spacious room the interior room inside the bathroom which contained the toilet and Shower was VERY small. It was so small that there was barely room in-between the toilet and the shower and that seemed very much out of place for such a luxurious Hotel.

All in all, though, I would trust the Hyatt in Maui withy my Vacation Time as it was near PERFECTION.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank MiamiW
Reviewed 26 March 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Maui for 3 nights during our trip to Maui. It is beautiful. The rooms were nicely furnished, there is a walk-in closet in our regular sized rooms. The hotel is new and updated and kept very clean which is important to me. The swimming pool is the best pool on that strip of resorts in Maui. There is a children's water slide. We ate at all the restaurants on the resort. The food was good but kind of pricey. The workout room has a good amount of equipment for a hotel, the view is gorgeous when you are on the stationary bikes and treadmills looking out onto the water. The hotel offers boogie board and snorkel rentals but again, it is expensive.

The things that I did not like about staying on the resort:
Parking-overcrowded. It was also a long walk from the room to the parking lot.
Beach-the hotel has beach access but that part of the beach is not the best, go up north several resorts on the strip and the beach is much better.

Pros outweigh cons in this hotel. Highly recommended.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank BellaDonnainDallas
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Our first staff interaction at the Hyatt was a great introduction to the property. A friendly young reception staffer, Thomas, overheard that we were on our honeymoon and upgraded us from our basic, terrace-view (read: parking lot view) room to an ocean-view room on the 3rd floor. Then he gave us a keepsake bamboo photo album, an invitation to a honeymooners-only cooking class at the resort restaurant for the following night, and a coupon for a free bottle of champagne at any of the resort's restaurants while we were there. It made us feel very welcomed from the very beginning of our stay. Our room itself was nicely laid out, with wonderful-smelling toiletries, comfortable bed, lovely furniture and a nice lanai with view of the gorgeous landscaping and the beach. A lot of time has been spent thinking about how to decorate the calming, comfortable rooms.

The beach at the resort is one of the smaller and most sloping of those on Kaanapali Beach, and because it was lined with pieces of coral that had broken off the reef, as well as coral hidden just under the sand on the coast, it was kind of unpleasant to swim on the beach (plus we had crappy weather when we were there, so we didn't much want to). But the other beaches north of the Hyatt, walkable on the lovely paved ocean path, are much better--wider, with more room for towels and sand castles and swimming.

The pool is really fun, with a slide and a cave-grotto, and lots of other fun places to explore. It was very cold, though, so we didn't spend much time in the pool because it wasn't especially warm when we were there.

The location is great--just 10 minutes-drive north of Lahaina, where there are lots of restaurants and a nice town to explore, and right on Kaanapali beach, where you can walk to probably 20 restaurants and a hundred stores. Great people-watching from the pool chairs facing the ocean and the ocean walk.

It's also a beautiful drive to take the road north of Kaanapali Beach that curves around the northernmost part of West Maui before going back to Kahului--much more scenic (and terrifying, in parts) than the overrated and overtraveled road to Hana, plus you actually GET somewhere instead of having to turn around at the end of the road.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bryntrips
Reviewed 12 March 2009

We recently visited Maui and my son took advantage of the tennis program at the Hyatt. The facility is outstanding and they run clinics daily. My son also took advantage of private lessons which were excellent. Frank Salvador is the pro at the Hyatt and his instruction was tremendous and reasonably priced. We’ll be back next year!
MSKPI