“Loved it!”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt for 3 days and I absolutely loved it. Loved the hotel grounds. The food was very good. Had a great selection at the breakfast buffet. Nice swimming pool and beach area.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2009
2  Thank dragonfly08
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Reviewed 31 December 2009

Just returned from an 8 day stay at the Hyatt Regency with my wife and two teenage children. This was our second trip to Maui in 5 years. Overall we were very pleased with the resort. The service and staff were very friendly and accomodating. We ate at all of the restuarants on the grounds and found all to be very good but pricey as you would expect. The location of the resort is at the far sound end of the beach and as others have noted, the beach is much nicer the further north you go. The work out facility at the resort is top notch with good equipment. We had a Ocean Front room in the Atrium Towers with a very good view of the Ocean and resort grounds. If you like Zip Lining, I highly recommend Kapalua Adventures in Kapalua. However, it is not for someone who is afraid of heights. Also went to Warren and Annabelle's magic show in Lahaina. It was very entertaining and would recommend. If you like Sport Fishing, I recommend the boat "Reel Lucky" out of Lahaina Harbor. Even though we caught just a couple of fish, it was fun and worth the experience.

Only drawbacks. During peak season, be prepared to to grab a lounge chair very early in the morning by the pool (no later than 7:00am) or risk not having one for the day. The rooms, while comfortable, were very out dated.

One other recommendation - There is a Safeway supermarket in Lahaina. This is a good place to stock up on snacks, beverages, etc. for your room. Much cheaper than the mini and snck bar in the room.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank tndknr
Reviewed 30 December 2009

We booked this hotel on Priceline so were not expecting a great room but upon arrival for our 8 night stay we were upgraded to an ocean view room. We loved the sound of the surf and the beauty of the moon reflecting on the water below. Our experience with this hotel was outstanding. The staff couldn't have been nicer. Everyone from the housekeeper to the valet parking guys were very obliging. The valet people always asked if we needed directions whenever we picked up the car. They gave us great references for restaurants. (Like the "Gazebo" for macadamia nut pancakes) They told us to go to mile 14 on the Lahaina highway for snorkeling right off shore. My husband said he saw many many fish and even large turtles. Several of the people we talked with had not been thrilled with the off shore and barbecue snorkeling trips.

We took a 60 minute island helicopter trip with Maui Air that was a real highlight of the trip. They have a Maui map you can get online that is the best one we found, We did 2 luaus. The one at the Hyatt Regency was a bit touristy but The Old Lahaina Luau was much more relaxed and authentic. There is a book called "Maui Trailblazer" by Jerry & Janine Sprout that was invaluable to us. It has so much detail as how to find snorkel, surf and drive spots and great detail as to where to park and how to find hidden spots. I highly recommend the Waihee Ridge Trail for a hike. The 2.5 mile each way hike is beautiful. There are walking sticks left at the entrance you can use. Just go up past the concrete ramp.

We would absolutely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mombo45
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I'm a loyal tripadvisor reader and reviewer and I've just returned from my annual two week golf vacatin/stay in Hawai'i. This year I was at the Hyatt Regency Ka'anapali. Last year I was at the Westin Ka'anapali. Thought it might be helpful if I compare the two resorts since they have essentially the same price point and location and clientele. Feel free to send me any questions that you may have about the Ka'anapali area as I kinda' know the area pretty well now. I've also stayed in Wailea and on Lana'i if you have questions. Aloha.

Lobby: The Hyatts lobby is superior to the Westins. No doubt about that. They have Penguins, Fish, Birds, Flamingos and it's a grand atrium style with the walkways for some of the rooms looking down into it. The Hyatt also has a mini mall with a Macys, Convenience Store, Sunglass Hut etc. The Westin is more of a traditional lobby with a pond and birds and such. Don't get me wrong, the Westin is fine but the Hyatt is bigger and better. (PICK: HYATT)

Pool: The Hyatts pool setup to me wasn't nearly as nice as the Westin. It was really two pool areas. The main adult pool with a swim thru grotto into the kids pool. The Westin is really a series of different smaller pools with two of them being connected. I never had a problem finding a chair at the Westin but the Hyatt definately had people coming down at 7am and getting a towel and putting it on a chair and leaving it. I would come down at 8am and couldn't get a chair. Never had this problem at the Westin (PICK WESTIN)

Rooms: Both gave me an upgrade from the minimum that I purchased to what could be called Partial Ocean View. I did like the beds at the Westin better and yes the bathrooms are smaller at the Hyatt but I think its because of the layout. The mirror/sinks are not INSIDE the bathrooms at the Hyatt. They are outside so only the toilet and shower are inside the bathroom so its small. The Westin is nice because everything is inside the bathroom area and the toilet had a seperate door to boot. (PICK: WESTIN)
Housekeeping: Both cleaned my room daily and replenished my lotions/soaps and such as needed. No bugs in either room (PICK: EVEN)

Location: To me this one is a no-brainer. The Hyatt is located at one end of the Ka'anapali resort. The Sheraton is at the other. The Westin is in the middle "closer to Sheraton actually". The entire stretch is a mile in length and has a nice paved beachwalk to jog/walk etc. The area is fronted by the famous Ka'anapali beach. However, the beach area in front of the Hyatt has been washed away but years of errosion and therefore there is no sandy beach by the Hyatt. On the other hand, the beach area that fronts the Westin is absolutely fantastic. Now, you can walk from all the resorts and use any stretch of beach that you want as all beaches are public in hawaii. But for convenience, I prefered the Westin. Also, the Westin is right next to Whalers Village for all your shopping/drinking/dining needs. (PICK: WESTIN)

Fees: Both have a MANDATORY daily resort fee which really bothers me. The Hyatt was $15 per day for essentially a copy of the Maui Times newspaper. Supposedly it covers free use of the gym (if I want to use the gym then charge me for it. Don't charge me for not using it which I didn't). Coffee in my room was undrinkable. I went to the lobby to the Starbucks and paid $4 for a medium black each day. My room had basic cable in it. I use an IPhone and it worked great anywhere on Maui so no idea about paying for high speed Inet. Bottom line is, they both charge you $15/day. (PICK: EVEN)

Other: The Hyatt has an open lobby/atrium as I mentioned above. Therefore, if it rains or whatever, it comes inside the lobby area where there is foliage etc. Now, it didn't rain while I was there but the entire atrium and lobby smelled like oil/diesel for the entire two weeks that I was there. The moment that I left my room and was walking to the elevators, I would smell oil. I would walk to the lobby to get coffee and come back smelling like diesel. One day, there was dark black smoke billowing from the roof top. I turned to one of the employees in the lobby and pointed up thru the atrium and said, should we be worried? Is there a fire. He said, no its just the air conditioning unit or something. All I know is, the entire lobby smelt horrible during my stay. Like being on an oil platform for two weeks. (PICK: WESTIN)

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
41  Thank TheBullBoston
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I went here on my honeymoon for ten days before heading to las vegas!!!
Let me just say it is paradise on earth. The hotel is top class, service is imense but bloody expensive!!!
We asked for an upgrade as it was our honeymoon, got one, but was not happy with it. Eventualy paid for an upgrade which cost me bout £270 for one of the best rooms/views in hotel. Did make a massive difference as we got to watch the sun set every night.
We did not go all inclusive which was massive mistake. Most expensive hotel/Island I have ever been on.......honestly lads were talking £7 for a quarter beer (basicaly just a pint). The food in hotel was amazing but expensive, your talking £40- 50 just for lunch with few beers.....I wont even mention dinner or breakfast haha!!!
Nightlife.....nowt in hotel, but u can get a taxi for $10 into local village which is pretty cool or walk to Whalers village. By taxi you will find lots of cool bars and restaurants, even two nightclubs and cool irish bar. Cheaper to eat here than the hotel and a better night out!
Done a couple of shows which were cool, dont do hula show with hotel as theres a better one in the village i was telling you about (laihaina). Also went surfing which was cool!!
So all in this was an amazing place and hotel, the perfect honeymoon location!!! Will go back for an anniversary I reckon!! But please take plenty of cash with you!!! Hopefuly this is useful to some younger honeymooners

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank swavLondon
Reviewed 21 December 2009

You need to be aware that the beach in front of the Hyatt has completely eroded away. There is no beach or beach access in front of the hotel. This is the ONLY hotel beach side in Kaanapali with this situation. You can hoof it over to the public beach park next store, but you will not have access to a chair or umbrella unless you buy them at Kmart. Or you can go in front of another hotel. Both options are inconvenient.

Also, our room was positioned directly above the "Drums of the Pacific" Luau. Since it was Thanksgiving week and the Maui Invitational Tournament, there was a luau or event every night. The sound is deafening. Lasts from about 5PM-9PM. But if you are on the wrong time zone (like us) it seems like the loud music, MC, and drumming goes on until 1AM!

The property is nice and the resort pool great. But we will not stay here again since we like beach and quiet

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank letstravelwithtwins
Reviewed 18 December 2009

This was a nice resort. Not too large as some others are, but not too small either.

Room was laid-out nicely.

Pools were great with lots of areas to swim in, waterfalls and slides. We swam at night and it was great. There was a rope bridge also.

Restaurants on-site cost a lot. Breakfast was not included either and it was $60 for the two of us. Try to get it included in your package price if you can.

Hammocks by beach were usually open and available at most times.

They recognized that we were on our honeymoon and provided a photo book, certificate for free champagne at any on-site restaurant, and two leis. That was nice.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank larslentz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!