“Nice but Crowded & Needs Updated”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 January 2010

Had a pretty nice time. Did not compare to Grand Hyatt on Kauai or Four Seasons Lanai where we also stayed during the trip. Proplerty a little older but still really nice. Too many people by pools to truly relax. Rooms a little smelly/musty compared to other Hawaii hotels. Needs some updating

1  Thank drcook1906

Reviewed 13 January 2010

Booked from Expedia Vacation package. We got the partial ocean view (see photos of views from RM 1929). 45 min drive from OGG to hotel. The bed was comfortable and the room was equipped with an i-Home radio/clock. Very friendly check-in staff and valet. We didn't have an auxillary cable for my i-Pod and 'Kim' from the front desk let us borrow his personal cable for our tenure of stay there, to make the car trip to Hana more fun. Very nice of him. Great array of restaurants located at the hotel, but kinda spendy. Exquisite and elaborate breakfast buffet, which included the usual fare of an omelet station, fresh fruits, juices, pastries galore, in a very cozy waterfall view room. The beach at the hotel was not very adequate as a 'beach'. However, Ka'aanapali Beach Park is right next to the hotel. The free parking adjacent to the entrance was convenient and plentiful for us. The hotel is located down the street from Safeway, Lahaina Cannery Mall, and other great eateries, so you don't have to starve. Also a walking distance from The Whaler's Village. The weird thing was the snack items in the room were on a tray that if you picked up the item, you would be charged for it, so be careful not to pick up any unwanted high priced snack items (see photos). The dislikes: no free internet.

1  Thank ozaer_shah
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I will start out like this...I am a crazy researcher,I love to travel and I am not overly picky.When you first enter the hyatt you are in awe,if only they could continue that awe they would be headed in the right direction.The rooms....now remember i am not overly picky.........dirty,spending 400 plus a night at this hotel you do not expect dirt,example dirty curtains. I am talking dirty finger prints from food on the curtains...gross dirty finger prints on the wall ,just generally an un clean.A hotel of this standard should not be like this.The grounds are spotless that is correct and beautiful,but why slack off in the rooms?Food...super expensive and I am talking 17 american for a cheeseburger without fries,14 dollars for a drink.I understand this is maui,but robbing people blind just because they can is unreasonable.Breakfat buffet for a family of 4 was 120 not including tip and there were birds flying in and out of the dining area pooping on the seats.I actually was seated on one of them.If you decide to go to Whalers village that is near by it is about 15 min walk....nice but in the middle of the afternoon while enjoying the pool,do you really want to get up and walk 15 min to stand in line to get lunch?If I came back to Maui,I would book the Westin,it was right next door to whalers village,it also had a beautiful beach.So if you didn't want to pay crazy prices for meals at the hotel you wouldn't feel like you had too.Also at check out they had many mistakes on our check out bill.I don't want to come across as a nag......but I would honestly hope you would reconsider your decision about staying here....I would not return

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank 2kellys
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Your package booking wont cover everything. Partial ocean view is worth the upgrade because the 'mountain view' is only a partial mountain view. The upgrade puts a beautiful mountain outside your window you can admire from the bed. There's no beach to speak of here, but the pool is great. Over Xmas its a race for pool lounges. Most will be empty but all of them will have some a-hole's towel draped over it all day. Go to the poolside counter and get them to put out new chairs for you. If you're lucky you'll get a patch of shade. The staff in general are very helpful. The nice looking cabanas on the website? There's only 2 of them and they're $50 a day - book ahead obviously.

Rooms are nice, roomy, but nothing special. For some reason the movies in our room looked so terrible we complained and weren't charged. Pity as these cost cinema prices to watch.

Food all good. Go for the early bird 3 course special before 7pm at Cascades. If you love birds this is the place for you - its like a zoo - flamingos, penguins, macaws etc.

In general if you're in the mood to put up with the Hyatt squeezing spare dollars out of you daily for things that cheaper hotels offer for free (like internet), it's a very nice place to stay. I would have loved to stay longer but my wallet said no.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We only stayed at this resort for five days and wish it had been longer. The staff was really friendly, the food and service was great, and the grounds are kept clean and well maintained. It is walking distance to Whaler's Village and other local attractions.
The rooms are a little dated but are clean and comfy, other than the bathroom that can be a little crowded.
Kids can find lots to do and so can adults, and you don't feel you need to keep them within arm’s reach for them to be safe!
Overall we had a great stay and will come back again...

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Alberta-Hotrodder
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I've been to Maui three years in a row now. This was my first trip to the Hyatt Regency. Like I always do before a vacation, I read tons of reviews, books, and message boards in anticipation of my stay and in the excitement of planning.
Let me start by saying this. The first thing I thought, after enjoying the Hyatt, is that some people complain just to complain. How ridiculous to complain about the size of a bathroom, espcially when you are in Maui.
Here's the deal on the Hyatt. It's huge. It's well-maintained. There are bars and restaurants seemingly everywhere. There is a feel and smell that I will miss until I go back. The grounds are beautiful. My lanai was incredible and had views of the beach and the waterfalls at the resort. The food was solid. The drinks were solid. I can't wait to go back!
There is some truth to the reviews posted. Maui isn't cheap. If you're broke, don't go to Maui. If you're looking for bargains, don't go to Maui. If you're looking for a $2 drink, don't go to Maui ($18 Grey Goose Dirty Martinis and $10 Bloody Marys).
There is a tiny beach adjacent to the hotel. WHO CARES! The beaches on Maui are so beautiful...you really should see as many as you can. In your car... :)
The bathroom was small. WHO CARES? I was in the bathroom for a blink of an eye each day. Boards shorts, Reefs, Gascans and a backpack with my camera and videocamera...that how you roll in Maui.
Maui is incredible and I vow to go every year of my life. Stroll Ka'anapali Beach. Go to Honolua Store. Drive to Hana. Go to Hamoa Beach. Enjoy Wailea. Shop like crazy. Play golf at Kapalua. Don't compain about your oceanfront resort hotel that has a Macy's inside of it...

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mrpond2u
Reviewed 11 January 2010

When we checked in, the hotel gave us a room that seemed like it was practically in the lobby - right near the Gift Shop on the first floor next to the elevator. Perhaps this was because we had gotten the room on Priceline. At any rate, with one call the front desk promptly moved us to a beautiful top floor room with a partial view of the ocean. Never hurts to ask, I guess.
The interiors of the rooms are nice - especially enjoyed the new HDTV's and balconies.
The gym is the the nicest I have ever seen at a hotel - with new equipment and tasty orange/lemon water.
The tennis courts are beautiful and seldom used. However, we did not find the tennis pro to be helpful. He didn't seem interested in talking to us unless we were buying a lesson or a clinic and was so unfriendly we decided not to do either.
The concierge was more helpful though she did seem to want to sell us expensive helicopter and snorkeling trips.
The pool area is beautiful although on most days the hot tub was too cold.
You have to pay 50 dollars to get the very best location of lawn chairs with direct views of the ocean, though there were plenty of lawn chairs available by the pool.

1  Thank beninsea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!