“If you don't like this hotel, you don't like ice cream.”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Fantastic hotel. In my opinion, anyone who doesn’t like KBH doesn’t like ice cream. I once heard an employee say, “We may not be the fanciest hotel on Maui, but we have the most heart.” Absolutely correct. He would also be correct in saying, “We’re the most Hawaiian hotel as well.”

After reading some recent negative reviews that I think grossly mischaracterize KBH, I’m going to write my first Trip Advisor review here, ever. I figure it’s time and I’m qualified to do so, since my wife and I have now stayed at KBH for nearly fifty nights since our first visit in 2006.

Let me first frame my comments by saying that my wife and I have had the good fortune to experience some great hotels while traveling for business in the past 25 years. We have also lived in a resort community with world-class hotels (Scottsdale, Arizona) for nearly as long. And while we’re not wealthy, we personally do not go on vacation to save money. If necessary, we will save for years to ensure we have a great time when we do travel. We have vacationed in the Hawaiian Islands 13 times, including Oahu, Kauai and Maui. Our first stay in Maui was in 1987 on our honeymoon and we stayed at the (then) Kapalua Bay Hotel. Ten years later we stayed at the Prince Hotel down in Makena. In 2003, we stayed at the Ritz up in Kapalua. Nice hotels, all of them.

In late 2005, I found KBH listed in a Costco travel brochure. We had always liked the Kaanapali Beach area, so the hotel’s location was appealing. Moreover, the Costco package included a rental car and free daily breakfast. Further research yielded a high rating from Frommer’s, saying it was one of the world’s best hotels for the money. We figured, why not? We made reservations for early January 2006, and we made that trip. And then we came back to KBH in December of that year for the Christmas holidays. And then for the Christmas holidays in 2007, and then the Christmas holidays in 2008. I think KBH had us that first Christmas morning when we woke to the sounds of Christmas carols being sung by the hotel staff on the lawn beneath our balcony. Our last trip there was early December 2012, and while it wasn’t actually during Christmas, the Christmas spirit was alive and well and we had the place to ourselves. In 2013, we are going back in early December again, our ninth trip to Maui and our sixth to KBH and this visit will be our longest of any on Maui: 14 nights. We haven’t stayed anywhere else in Hawaii since discovering KBH.

Any visitors to Maui who lobby-hop any of the Kaanapali Beach hotels (which include a Sheraton, Hyatt, and Westin), will no doubt note how different KBH is from the chain hotels. Walking the beach boardwalk looking inland to the hotel, or driving by the front entrance, passersby might see KBH as relatively non-descript. Perhaps even dated. To this I say, “exactly.” If the Brady Bunch ever vacationed in Hawaii, this is where they would have filmed the episode. I would also describe it as quaint, authentic, and agree with those who call it “charming.” What this hotel is NOT, is dirty or threadbare. The hotel was built in the mid-60s, and since it is only a modest six stories tall with 400+ rooms, easily half of the 11 acres the hotel sits on is open space. It is independently owned, Mike White has been the General Manager there for nearly 30 years and is a sixth-generation Hawaiian, the staff is overwhelmingly of Hawaiian/South-Pacific descent, and many employees have worked at the hotel for years, if not decades.

Here’s what else you will find at KBH: Clean, well-appointed rooms with large balconies. An inner courtyard that lies between the hotel and beach with acres of lush grass, plumeria trees and old-growth kukui nut trees, and a variety of tropical plants that include poi and bananas (and best of all, you can walk anyhere on the grounds you like and take a towel or chaise lounge with you). There’s a great coffee shop called The Mixed Plate that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Tiki Terrace, an open-air restaurant, serves three meals as well. There’s an outdoor Tiki Grill for pool food and a Tiki Bar that serves a generous pour, a mini mart/grocery, an easily-accessible parking garage, a wonderful gift shop, and an activities/concierge desk with no margins tacked onto services/events/excursions. You’ll find a staff that regards you as “Ohana” (family) the second you walk in the front door, and truly embodies the “Aloha” spirit. The cultural activities and workshops are innumerable and free; I took my first ukulele lesson at KBH and my wife took her first hula lesson there. Continuing education that enables hotel employees to learn more about Hawaiian culture is ongoing and they will gladly teach you all that you want to know about Hawaii. You’ll find easy access to arguably the nicest stretch of beach to be found anywhere in Hawaii. You’ll find the best Sunday brunch on Maui, as well as the best musical entertainment, with a different act every night on the outdoor stage. We have friends who stayed at the neighboring Sheraton recently but admitted they spent every evening at KBH’s Tiki Bar soaking up the live Hawaiian music.

One thing I find most notable is how drawn the locals are to this hotel. I think this says a lot about KBH. On the weekends especially, they come from other parts of Maui or from other islands to relax here. Sometimes they just come for Sunday brunch. One of my best memories was of a Sunday brunch last year when a group of senior “aunties” seized the moment to stand up from their meal, execute a perfect hula dance to the live music for several minutes, and sit back down to loud applause. Then everyone went back to eating. To them, maybe it was just another everyday “Maui” moment, but I remember thinking at the time, “Man, it doesn’t get better than this!”

Something else that strikes me is the camaraderie of the hotel employees. I see them from my balcony in the morning as they arrive to start their day. They walk in groups of two or more, coming either from the parking garage or bus stop out front. They laugh and carry on with each other and seem to be having a great time. This sense of kinship spills over to their relationships with guests as well: I don’t recall a service elevator per se, so we regularly share elevator space with employees going about their business. Without fail, we are always greeted with an “Aloha, how are you today?” Often, they are interested in what we have planned for the day if we are leaving property, or want to know how our day went as we are returning. A cynic might argue that this is their job, to be cordial to guests. Whether one thinks it’s genuine or not (and I think it is), it means everything that they try to engage you. Employees at other hotels often can’t be bothered.

Here’s what you will NOT find at KBH: Besides a lack of awe-inspiring architecture, you won’t find room service of any kind, and a large flat-screen TV in your room (the TVs are old-style 19-inch CRTs). And, while the daily breakfast buffet is freshly prepared with a wide variety of tasty hot and cold dishes, it is not what you’ll find on a 5,000-passenger cruise ship. If any of these present a problem for you, you might be happier at a chain hotel. You must then decide what else is important to you: If you want a convention-style hotel, with noisy conventioneers overrunning the property, go to a chain hotel. If you want a hotel that hires only non-resident mainland staffers who are indifferent to your experience, where you can wander the premises for hours and not have a single passing employee look at you and say “Aloha”, (actually happened to me at two other local hotels), go with the chain. If you want a hotel with impeccably-manicured lawns that are fenced off and inaccessible, or you want award-winning but overcrowded pools with lazy rivers, loud waterfalls and ever-present Muzak, or a hotel that is indistinguishable inside from any mid-town hotel on the mainland, go with a chain hotel. If you want a hotel that considers it a right to charge you a “resort fee” and to charge what the market will bear for room rates, meal prices, parking and excursion fees, go with a chain hotel. You will find none of these attributes at KBH, and will only be disappointed.

For detractors who aren’t happy unless they have something to be unhappy about (the people who don’t like ice cream), all I can say is, deal with it. Or don’t travel at all. Don’t like paying 40 dollars for breakfast at KBH? Then go pay 70 dollars for the same thing at a chain hotel. You paid 15 dollars a day for parking at KBH? Go pay 25 at a chain hotel. You saw huge bugs at KBH? We’ve seen them at 5-star Hawaiian resorts. Birds dive-bombing your dining experience? They do that at every resort and at least at KBH the birds are polite: they wait until you leave your table. And finally my favorite: KBH clientele not high-brow enough for you? Not well-dressed enough for your tastes? Sorry, but these guests are on vacation … in Hawaii, of all places. And overall there are no huge body-image issues in Hawaii. It’s just not part of the Aloha spirit. Your implied “top-tier” standards of taste are misguided here. You’re simply not looking closely enough.

My wife asked me today what it is about KBH that I am most looking forward to, on our upcoming trip there. Three things come to mind immediately, and they attest to the hotel’s laid-back vibe. First, I look forward to opening the lanai door at night just before retiring and lying in bed listening to the live Hawaiian music wafting from the courtyard. And, because we’re on the top floor, the palm tree fronds rustle from the trade winds just outside our balcony. To me, this is Paradise.

I look forward to waking up each morning to a variety of familiar sounds: the patter of rain, or rustle of wind in the palm fronds, or of mynah birds squabbling on our porch railing, or the gentle swoosh of a garden rake sweeping up the plumeria blossoms that have dropped overnight. This is pretty much all you hear. This can all happen very early, between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m., so sometimes the moon is setting over the ocean to the west. I make coffee and sit out on the balcony. Even though I’ve done it a dozen times before, I take my camera out when there is enough light and take panoramic shots of the grounds and ocean. I see that, over time, other hotel guests start to do the same. Since we usually get an end-room on the floor, there is an open-air breezeway just outside our entry door and sometimes I step outside just to look at the West Maui mountains to my left and the ocean to my right. It’s the best of views and we get to own it our entire stay at KBH.

Finally, I’m looking forward to seeing our friends again. These are the KBH employees we’ve come to know since 2006 who will stop what they’re doing when they first see you, and even though they may not remember your name, they know your face. They come up and they hug you and say, “Aloha! Welcome home!”

We have now spent enough time at KBH to know that this hotel means a great deal to many people, employees and guests alike. For the guests who have tried it and decided it may not be their cup of tea, for whatever reason, that’s fine. But if you have never stayed here, don’t dismiss it out of hand just because it’s not the fanciest hotel. Give it a shot. Not to sound all Jedi about it, but if you stay here you likely will acquire knowledge very quickly about what it truly means to be Hawaiian. And that carries with it a guarantee you’ll have the most fun and rewarding vacation ever.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top three floors of the Maui wing, toward the south end.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
28  Thank Jim M

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon last year...ideal location, nice hotel, beautiful green gardens and the most stunning beach you will ever see. 10minutes walk to the Whalers Village along the beach front and just a short bus ride from Lahiana; everything is so close. We also rented a car for the drive to Hana - amazing jungle walks in search of waterfalls, beautiful jungle scenery and the friendliest people along the route...we even stopped at a small road side 'hut' (with a house behind) where the couple were selling home-baked banana cake and freshly prepared Golden Fruit from their orchard. I would strongly recommend this hotel over anything else we saw and experienced while on Maui.

Room Tip: Garden & sea view double room, very quiet & sunny.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AidaWalsh
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We have stayed at KB Hotel four times.

Rooms, average or better, very clean and surprisingly large. Yes some are a little "outdated" , the hotel was built in the 60's. We like the rooms on the ground floor facing the pool and bar. As for bugs, we have not had a problem during our four trips here.

Pool, small by today's resort standards, but clean with ample room around it and on the lawn for lounge chairs.

Grounds, very nicely kept. They are constantly trimming-cleaning up etc...

Service, GREAT, repeat GREAT. The house maids could not be better.. In over 25+ nights stayed here we only had one minor problem with a room and it was corrected satisfactorily.

NOTE: when you arrive be prepared to ( not just here, ANY resort) wait for a room to be ready. Plan to spend some time at the pool, beach, walk or drive down to the shopping center etc... They WILL call you when your room is ready. It mystifies me why people get OUTRAGED when their room is nor ready at precisely 3pm. C'mon people, plan a little.

Hint: STOP AT COSTCO on the way there. Get munchies, snorkel gear, booze, beach gear etc...you will save $$$.

Location, no question here, GREAT. Enough said.

Food, ok, just ok.. Yes a little expensive, try the Sheraton or Hyatt then compare price..

Charges: parking, taxes, wifi ect.... Same as at EVERY other resort..

Conclusion:
If you are on a budget, ( like we are ) STAY HERE, if money is no object try the Weston, Hyatt or Sheraton. I believe the KB Hotel is a great value. Our last stay we got a great rate with rental car and breakfast and room upgrade around $220/night. Shop that around the near by hotels and get back to me.

The people here ARE extremely friendly and helpful. Also, plan your trip when the whales are wintering there, spectacular!

We are going back in Feb. See you there,

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RH7772013
Reviewed 17 November 2013

As many of the TA reviewers say,this place is a bit dated but don't worry about that if you want great value for your dollar. We had the top of the range ocean view room,sure it is in need of a makeover but it was clean ,large ,tidy,comfortable with a great view right on the beach for probably half the price of the other hotels in the area,so we were happy.
We had breakfast included which was only average
The grounds of this hotel are as good as you can get,acres of well manicured grass and plenty of free beach lounges to lie on
It is right next to the Shereton which is the best spot on the beach
We will return

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bruce K
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I wasn't going to write a review... There are plenty that have been written but when I looked at the ones that said "wouldn't go back" or that the staff was rude, I had to write.

My husband and I just returned from a 4 day stay. The hotel is not the luxury spot. It is true that it is an older hotel that could use with some updates.. and it is true that there is no wifi but it is worth staying here.

We were greeted warmly upon arrival and promptly checked it. Our room was a water view on the 6th floor. The hotel rooms are all non-smoking but someone had been smoking up a storm. The room, while clean, reeked of stale cigarette smoke. We tried opening the windows but I couldn't stand it. A quick trip to the front desk and we had a new room. The staff were fabulous. They let us check out the room before switching, offered assistance with moving and could not have been nicer.

The rooms are a bit tired but comfortable. I loved being able to open the slider and leave it open at night. I could hear the surf from just a short distance away.

The rooms overlook the lawn, gardens and the pool. You can also see the water but if you want ocean front, like any place, you will pay extra. The Tiki bar and grill was good and I enjoyed the ahi burger.. very tasty!

Evenings had entertainment that we would listen to on the lanai. Neither of us went down to watch the entertainment, preferring a stroll on the walk or beach in the evenings.

Breakfast is on an open terrace and as a previous reviewer mentioned, the sparrows will hang around waiting for handouts.. They did not buzz us but when my husband went back to the buffet for something, the birds landed on the back of his chair checking out his plate. Rather than being freaked out, I thought it was kinda cute but I did have to chase them off as I am sure they would have started on his plate.

Upon checkout, there was a lei ceremony that we missed the start of but it was nice and we now have our leis ready for our next trip.

Overall this is an older hotel. Family friendly, comfortable and charming. I will return someday. Take a chance and stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CarrieB8212013
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

This particular hotel is top notch if u r on a strict budget. Its super clean (with the exception of some ants) has a perfect location, nice place to eat (tiki grill is cheaper than the restaurant), amazing and super friendly staff, and good sized roons with comfy beds and tvs. I would definetly stay here again! U get a free breakfast presentation and buffet thefirst day of ur stay which is just great! And the day u leave u get a lei from the awesome staff. The only thing is that the hotels next to it(sheraton, westin, hyatt etc. ) have much nicer looking lobbies and rooms and much better pools. If u dont want to go to the pools tgan the beach is the same for all hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Just got back from this hotel today. It definitely needs updating. The food a the Tiki Grill was terrible, the pool was not kept clean. When I arrived in my room,, there was sand on the bedspread. The hotel staff in the lobby had an attitude and were not very helpful when I had questions as I was traveling alone. When I asked the gentlemen at guest services to call my return shuttle for me he had an attitude like he didn't want to be bothered. Wouldn't you know that the shuttle never showed up for my pickup. I didn't like the fact that there was no security around as I had to walk to my room in outside hallways. I also asked help at the self check in for my airplane tickets as the computer was real slow. It took a while to get someone to help me. There was either not enough staff around or they didn't want to be bothered. Previous to this stay I had stayed at the Outrigger Reef in Waikiki and they helped me throughout my stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo