“Wonderful Place to Stay”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“Wonderful Place to Stay”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed at the KBH for our vacation. It is a wonderful place to stay and they very much treat you like family. Concierge/guest services is fantastic in helping you find things to do and see. I suggest you go to the new guest breakfast, you get great ideas and tips on things to see and do. The food was great and service is exceptional. We had a beach view and could whale watch from our balcony! Will definitely go back again!

Room Tip: The beach View rooms have a wonderful view of the ocean and can see the beach and the comings and go...
3 Thank Michelle L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (948)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Selected a garden room on ground level. Nice room with Hawaiian furnishings, however, rather dark colours (drapes, carpet). My husband had a medical emergency and was just released from the hospital. He was not fit for travel until later that week, so we opted to stay here for some R&R before heading back to Canada. It was a perfect hotel for that - right on the beach, and perfect for sunset photos. The hotel is far from the town, so you need to rent a car or find out if there is a shuttle. It's on a hotel strip, lots of other properties on the same beach, but there are plenty of souvenir shops, restaurants and tourist attractions just a few minutes away.

Our stay had a glitch. My husband was in bed, just took his meds and fell asleep. I didn't sleep well at all because the ventilation system made a loud clicking sound every minute or so. I didn't call the front desk because I didn't want to disturb his sleep. So, I had a very interrupted sleep. When we checked out, I mentioned this at the front desk and the FD Manager was very argumentative with me. He said I should have called, and I tried to explain why I didn't (and the tremendous medical emergency we just experienced) and he could care less. Very cold personality. I was shocked. I asked him if there would be any discount and he first said he would take a few dollars off the bill. I said that was unsatisfactory. He then discounted me 50% and tossed the guest receipt at me. What a nasty man. Based on the lack of compassion and poor service recovery skills of the staff, we will never return here EVER AGAIN.

It's a beautiful relaxing island, minus this incident.

Room Tip: Avoid the FD Manager
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bluenoser840
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

After reading some negative reviews, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised by our room. It was clean and comfortable. I think people forget that this is only a 3 star hotel so comparing it to a 4 or 5 star resort is ridiculous. Our room was in the newer wing, on the 6th floor at the beach end with a fantastic view of the beach, ocean, Black Rock, Molokai and the gardens. Our balcony was a great place to sit and enjoy drinks and nibbles when we were in our room.

We found the staff warm and helpful and they were born and raised in Hawaii. That fact adds to the 'aloha' appeal significantly, and their local knowledge helped us on a range of occasions. The place is SO Hawaii, a little dinky in quite a few areas but that's what give it a funny appeal.

There are many fancier options along this strip, some offering large elaborate pools and sun lounges crammed in beside them in tight rows. I actually preferred the HUGE lawn area at the KBH with lounges scattered about that you could drag to your preferred spot and enjoy your own bit of space. As for swimming, I prefer the ocean which is pretty much why I chose a beach to stay on....

If I return to Maui I'd stay in this Hotel again for it's location, grounds and price. It's easy to get more 'luxury' from the surrounding hotels, however it comes with a significantly higher price tag. Get a room with a view if you can. It's always worth it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leasa d
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Excellent hotel. Great sense of Ohana! Service was great. Peaceful environment. Centrally located on the "strip." Housekeeping was very accommodative to our needs. Concierge/guest services very helpful in recommending and booking our excursions. We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If Wi-Fi is a must, the ocean front rooms are not for you.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank David S
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Ka'anapali Beach Hotel was a great place to stay at on our honeymoon. The staff noticed that we were staying in a room with two double beds and when they realized this they upgraded us to a room with a king sized bed and partial ocean view. The staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was enjoyable always asking us if we had any questions or needed anything else. One particular day when we went out to our rental car to head into Lahaina, our car wouldn't start. We went to guest services and they contacted our rental car agency and took care of our needs there by getting us a new vehicle as well as giving us a jump start. The landscape (garden/beach area) was very relaxing, enjoyable and very well kept up. All in all the hotel provided more than we expected and we would recommend them to anyone. If you want a real "Hawaiian" experience this is the place!!

Room Tip: Mention you are on your honeymoon.
4 Thank Dennis F
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The KBH may not be for everyone -- the bar won't be on anyone's hot places list -- but it's a hotel/resort that sets a tone of relaxation. The large area opening on the Ka"anapali beach is wonderfully landscaped so it's a pleasure to just sit and enjoy the breezes. The staff is guided by the idea of the "Aloha spirit," and does whatever they can to make your stay a pleasant and restful experience.

5 Thank perfessor_10
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We have stayed in Maui several times and KBH is the best! The Aloha spirit is ac definete plus. The cultural events are wonderful. The nightly music soothing... Everyone has always been gracious and we have stayed here at least 4 times. We are looking forward to planning our trip again in April. Do not miss this peace of heaven for your vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple