“Average hotel in paradise...”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Melbourne
“Average hotel in paradise...”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed 5 nights in April. Very basic hotel. Room clean and comfortable. Staff average in customer service, sometimes poor! One evening when I had for over 20 minutes for someone to reset the internet. You can only access wifi by the pool and it is ridiculously bad. To get good reception you have to essential sit between the bins and the bar, yuck, The wifi cut out every single day, sometimes more than once which required me to alert the staff and again wait for it to be reconnected. Coffee/tea/bathroom amenities were not always replaced daily. Location was the major bonus, with beautiful beach right across from the hotel and free (but extremely tiny and worn) towels provided for use. There were some interesting activities during the day such as pineapple demonstration, language lesson and on the final morning a lei ceremony. We stayed our last 2 nights in Maui at The Westin and it was much more pleasant. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura_DK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We hadn't been in Maui for ten years, but we knew we wanted to stay in the Ka'anapali area this time. We chose the Kan'anapali Beach Hotel based on descriptions in Frommer, Fodor and Lonely Planet, and reviews in TripAdvisor, and it was the right choice. We wanted location on the Kan'anapali Beach, a place that respected Hawaiian values, and a reasonable price. The KBH was a winner on all of those scores. The beach location is superb, just across the walkway. The rooms are clean and adequately sized. The large inner courtyard is beautifully laid out and maintained, with lots of open areas, shade trees, pavilions, picnic tables and chairs (much more pleasant than the big empty spaces of the Sheraton resort next door). Service is friendly and efficient. The Tiki Terrace Restaurant, open for breakfast and dinner, is open but covered, with rather average food at average prices (breakfast is expensive). It fronts onto the stage where Hawaain dancers and singers perform nightly. An excellent bar grill is open from mid-morning to late evening, adjoined by the Hula bar. Location is excellent in that it is a few steps away from Whaler's Village, the local mall, and from Black Rock in the other direction, which has a protected swimming and snorkelling area which is important when the winds are strong and the seas heavy, which was the case the first three days we were there.

1 Thank Ed W
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

They call it the most Hawaiian Hotel because it's the oldest haha, staff was very nice though. The rooms are outdated and the room safe had a KEY!! Who else has a copy?? Plus you were charged 1.50/day for it. We spilled some food on the sheets and when we returned to our room later that day, they weren't even changed. We had to call. If you see something on the sheets they should automatically be changed!!Would not recommend the restaurant, our first meal was so-so but we thought we'd give it another try. We should have trusted our instincts, it was even worse. Mahi-mahi was overcooked and when we complained were told sorry. That's it!! The only food item we enjoyed was the Clam Chowder. Location and beach were awesome though.

Room Tip: Would not recommend unless you eat and play elsewhere everyday and check your sheets!!
2 Thank Lisa L
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We extended our trip one night so we chose to stay here instead of where we stayed for the first part of our trip just cause we wanted to be closer to Black Rock for snorkeling and Whalers Village for last minute shopping. For this, this hotel delivers. The location is good...but it lacks in so many other areas that I would suggest staying at one of the other 10 hotels on this same stretch of beach (Sheraton, Whalers, Westin, etc).
Cons:
Internet is $10 a day. What?!?! And just regular cell phone service is terrible. I didn't have a problem with reception or using phone internet any where on Maui (except Hana and this place). This was awful.
Rooms are dated and strange. I think they call this place the most Hawaiian as a euphemism.
Pool bar and grille is a joke. Pina colada tasted like battery acid and service from cook in the grill was not great. The cheeseburger was good.
Guest services: no one told me where the towel station was for the pool so I just used our bathroom towels and when I asked for them to bring a plastic spoon to my room they said they didn't have any

Overall: For the money ($200/night) plus $10 self parking (parking garage is good and secure) this hotel is NOT worth it. The pool is not great, the rooms could be SO much better and the service is not what I was expecting. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Haley H
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

So nice and accommodating...My son had the time if his life! We come to Maui every year and this is the absolute best hotel and true aloha vibe.... Can't say enough about the staff and grounds.... Love u kbh see u again! Be sure to get the passport for your little ones check out the free nightly shows and play a relaxed game
Of checkers on the giant board by the pool.... Dale is the bomb and makes the best drinks around... Kids love the magic show too be sure to have your camera ready!

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Leanne C
Ribeirao Preto, SP
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Friendly staff, real Hawaiian experience. I recommend. Worth for price. The hotel does not have a fitness center nor I used the room service (that is why it is not well rated). The Tiki Terrace Restaurant is one of the best I've been to during my stay in Maui. One of the few that offered Hawaiian dishes.

1 Thank TeixeiraSR
Hudsonville, Michigan
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I looked at the reviews of this property and the photos. They must have been a long time ago. We were so upset that we had to stay at this place that was booked by a travel agent. Upon arriving it was dirty everywhere. There were insects in the room and it was very outdated. We couldn't use the internet because they don't have wifi. After I checked in and went to the room and saw the condition and dirt, I went to complain and she had no apologies only to say it is a family owned business. I asked for a recommendation since I couldn't get on the internet to find a different place and she told me to walk to find one. We couldn't find one on such short notice so we spent as little time as possible. Everynight, I would strip the bed and shake out the sheets before I could sleep. I wore socks in the room because it was so dirty and I had to throw them away because they wouldn't come clean. Disgusting. The ONLY nice part was the ocean and that is where we stayed all day. We also booked as many excursions so we didn't have to stay there.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple