“Old but refurbished hotel.”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Somerset, MA
“Old but refurbished hotel.”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We last stayed at this hotel in 1988. It has been refurbished. Of the three hotels at which we stayed during our 15 day Hawaiian vacation, this was by far p, at least initially, our least favorite. Our original room was small with a tiny ocean view from our lanai. I had requested a free upgrade, since we were returning guests...26 years ago. We had not been to Maui since 1988.

I called the front desk, to state my displeasure with the room, and the fact that we did not receive a free upgrade as requested over the months since our reservation. I asked to speak to the manager. After some back and forth, we were offered an ocean front on the first floor. I usually don't like the first floor for security reasons. We saw the room, found it so much bigger and better, and made the switch. I thanked the manager, Salome, for providing the upgrade.

The first floor worked out very well. It was very convenient to step out to the beach, and we didn't have to deal with the quirky elevators at the far end of the hall.

Breakfast was included. I didn't quite understand why after we saw the host/hostess, showed them our vouchers, everyone had to wait in a small lounge to be seated. The restaurant was nearly empty. This was a buffet breakfast, where we serve ourselves. The waiter, any waiter, can bring you your coffee or tea. No need to wait.

There was a fee to park. $17/day. The fee for lounges, cabanas, and umbrellas were discounted for hotel guests. Very reasonable. We paid less than $22 for a cabana with two padded lounge chairs.

Wine at the bar was a ridiculously low $4 a glass! I believe last call was at ten. Early for us.

Be carefully in the water. The surf can be dangerous.

We told the desk when we checked in that we would celebrating our 42nd anniversary. We gave them the date, the desk marked it down, and promised a bottle of champagne. Our anniversary came and went. No champagne. However, miraculously, a bottle of champagne appeared in our refrigerator at ap 1pm. Now that was very nice, oops, but I have to drive to the airport in a few hours. I can't be drunk on champagne! We shared the bottle with others on the beach.

Our flight to Phoenix and Boston wasn't leaving until 10:30 pm. I asked what was the latest check out time we could have. We paid an extra $90 and had the room until 6pm. We had to check the day before to make sure it was available. We spent the day at the beach, and we're able to shower before heading to the airport.

Would I stay again? I believe I would if provided a free upgrade again. Hotels should provide extras for their returning guests. If not, why return? I thank Salome again for that wonderful free upgrade.

Room Tip: Old hotel that has been refurbished. Wifi was being upgraded, and was not available. If you truly d...
1 Thank bvieira

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (950)
hw
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were upgraded to an ocean view room with a bottle of champagne waiting for us. Ask for a bed board, if you like a firm bed.
Grounds and beach area are very nice. Cabana rental was reasonable. Short walk to Whalers Village with lots of restaurants to choose from.
Wifi is only in the outdoor bar area, but was broken the week we were there. I believe there is a charge, if it would have been working.
Departure ceremony was very nice.

australia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I usually stay in 4 to 5 star hotels but having lived in Hawaii for 2 years I wanted to go back to a traditional hotel where I felt like family. This is it. Kaanapali Beach Hotel is traditional and it has beautiful grounds...lots of grass and quiet places to relax. It is all refurbished. It is not a hotel for someone wanting swanky 5 star. I looked at the Westin just up the beach and it was all glitz and glam...flamingos in the pool and a black swan. Everyone was crammed in around the pool you could have been anywhere in the world. But with Kaanapali Beach Hotel I felt like I was back in Hawaii in the 80's which is when I lived there. The guy at the bar has been there for 30 years. I loved the grounds..the chess game on the grass and the Hawaiian checkers. Staff are fantastic. Its a 2 min walk to Whalers Village which we loved. Dinner at hotel was fantastic too. The beach is beautiful and we were swimming with turtles. The sofas are covered in flowers and the rooms are similar with traditional furniture...I love it.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room but we looked over the garden and out to the beach it was amazing. We we...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ausloz
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Ok, it's a tongue in cheek title, but that's how I found the hotel - from a Google search. I feel very lucky that this is the location I chose. They call themselves the 'most Hawaiian hotel' and I think that's probably true. It is the only privately owned hotel in Hawaii and promotes the heritage of Hawaii in every aspect that they can. From my first contact with the reservations person to the last bellman that helped put our bags in the car, every single employee was caring, friendly, engaging, and happy in their job.
We were in room 585. It had a wonderful ocean view.
We had the Sunday Champagne Brunch. I don't think I've ever seen that much food in one place. And, it was really good food! Quality AND quantity.
We attended the in-house magic show and dinner. The dinner was served quickly and efficiently and the magic show was skillfully done. The show highlighted the Hawaiian heritage by presenting illusions from famous magicians who have visited Hawaii in the past and also Hawaiian legends and dance. All in all, a very skillful cast, crew, and service staff.

Maui was more expensive than I expected but, in most cases, we got a lot for our money. For an example, we took a sunset dinner cruise. It was 2-1/2 hours long; they had a great prime rib; and, it was an open bar.

I don't want to give much away on this event, but they have a small ceremony upon your departure that we found to be very sincere and actually moving.

I guess you can tell that we had a great time but it's important to know how well the place is run and the quality of goods and services they provide.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Keith O
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Lovely property to stay at as right on the beach and has free nightly entertainment ,pleasant friendly staff,plenty of water activities on the door step nice clean pool and grounds, but look after your valuables in your room as we came home minus a mini I pad.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra and get an Ocean view room as we'll worth the extra cost.
1 Thank Suzygirl62
Maui Hawaii
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We live on Maui... whenever we want to "get away" we stay at the KBH. It is right on the beach, part of a wonderful walk along the beach... the rooms are very nice, always very clean, friendly staff. Very close to Whalers Village, shopping , many restaurants. We love Hula Grill for dinner, walking distance! We love the ambiance of this hotel. The rates are among the least expensive in this area.

Room Tip: We stayed in 188 first floor oceanfront.... it was great!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StargazerMaui
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 July 2014

You can not get more Hawaiian than this hotel. It is not new, shiny, big resort and that is what makes it perfect. It is smaller, yet the grounds are open and big and beautiful. Where else can you sit under a plumeria tree, smelling the blossoms and take a nap or read a book and be completely undisturbed. It's restful and rejuvenating - and the views are stunning! One of the best views anywhere along Kaanapali beach. You can probably get an ocean view room for the price of a parking lot or garden view at one of the big resorts. The rooms are very comfortable and nicely appointed. No complaints at all!! The housekeepers did a terrific job and were always so friendly. The staff is one of the best parts of this hotel. They are caring, kind and so helpful. Especially Malahini-she is a treasure. They believe in the spirit of Aloha, and the hotel is doing a wonderful job of keeping Hawaiian culture alive and well! You can get free hula lessons, ukelele lessons, lei making, wood carving, pineapple carving - and the list goes on! It's amazing!! The pool is a no bells and whistles pool, but that's ok - kids still enjoy splashing around and having a fun time, and there are plenty of chairs for everyone to relax. No fighting for chair spacelike at the big resorts! If you want beauty, peacefulness, rest and relaxation, gorgeous beach, great staff and activities, this is the perfect spot. They also have local artisans in the lobby each day, so you can take a break from the pool (or your nap under a plumeria tree) and do some great shopping! Every night, there is a free Hawaiian music/hula show under the stars that is always entertaining - and free!! We simply love this hotel. To us, it is the true meaning of Aloha and is exactly what we imagined Hawaii to be like.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family