“Just right!”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The 3 of us, including our 13 yr old daughter, vacationned here for 10 days and were delighted with this hawaiian run hotel.

Room: On arrival, we were upgraded from an ocean view room to a large 2 queen beds ocean front room (487) in the Kauai building. In the center of this building, there are 2 oceanfront rooms on each floor that extend about 4 feet further than the 2 others on either side. This gives them a full ocean view versus a half ocean view the side rooms get. For this reason, I recommend the rooms 286 or 287, 386 or 387, 486 or 487, 586 or 587, and if you are a smoker 686 or 687. These rooms are closest to the beach, more than the Molokai building. While lying in bed, we can hear the ocean and see the sand and beach. How dreamy is that! The bedroom was clean and the room maintenance was good. This was one of the renovated rooms and to be perfectly honest, I thought it would be much more up to date. The renovations were modest but then again, it was just fine in terms of value for the reasonable price we paid in comparison to the other high end hotels next door. Everything was functionnal in the room and we had plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the shower. The matresses were somewhat tired but we still had a good night's sleep. We had plenty of closet space and room for our luggage.

Dinning: Every night, we ordered out and had supper on our balcony. We never saw such an awsome sunset and dining in a restaurant could never even come close to the dining experience on our balcony. We ordered from the Tiki grill or the Tiki terrace at the hotel and the food was good. The portions very large. Fresh fish, shrimps, beef, chicken skewers, pasta, burgers, hot dogs, pizza etc. Prices varied from $6, to $24. The service was fast and friendly. We went to the Whaler's village a couple of time and picked-up a meal at one of the 3 fast food restaurants at the food court (Subway, a pizza place, and Ruby's deli). Also there are 3 very large outdoor restaurants with a live band. They serve breakfast, lunch or dinner which and have a large menu. Though somewhat expensive, about 30% more than at the Ka'anapali beach hotel, the food looked yummy. We didn't try them cause they were a bit too noisy for us and really crowded. We prefered the tranquil comfort of our 1st class seating on our balcony. Also at the Whaler's village can be found Yogourtland where you can pile on top of all the different yogourts you choose, as many toppings you desire and pay by the weight. So delicious!

Pool and beach: The white sand beach is clean and has fabulous waves that are great for bouggie boarding or body surfing. Also, really great snorkling (we saw 2 giant sea turtles and an abundance of tropical fish). We also saw in the distance, a few spouts from whales. The Trilogy catamaran leaves on many excursions every day right off the beach in front of us, but this didn't disturb our beach fun in any way. We rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for $180 a week (special price for hotel clients instead of $210) and it was well worth it cause there is no shade what so ever on the beach and the sun is just so hot. We didn't see any umbrellas or chairs for sale at the Whaler's village, but we did see bougie boards for $23. We rented ours at the hotel for $10 (2 hours) or $18 (all day till 5pm). These appeared to be more sturdy and didn't break or crack in the waves.

Hotel grounds and pool: We had free WiFi in the beautiful garden court yard that functionned perfectly. It's also a peaceful place with many flowers and trees to relax and have a snooze or read a book. The pool was warm in comparison to the ocean and not as clean as we would have liked it to be, but not sufficient to deter us from dipping into it at the end of the day at the beach.

Overall: The staff was warm, polite, alway smiling and so helpful. This really made this place special. A true desire to please and to inform us on their way of life and history in order for it to transend in time. This was a great hawaiian experience that I most probably would not have got from a large chain hotel. So glad we picked this place, a little piece of paradise.

Room Tip: In the center of the Kauai building, there are 2 oceanfront rooms on each floor that extend about 4...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank elyssa
Write a ReviewReviews (4,329)

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel was quite adequate for my stay. I did not come to Maui to stay at the hotel / pool all day. The hotel has been around for quite a while but the grounds were well kept and neat. The staff was very friendly. I met a couple of employees that had worked there for more than 40 years. I stayed in the Molokai wing, room 228. We were able to connect to the courtyard wifi, but you needed to get an access code from the front desk, even though the access point showed as open. Apple devices brought up the access screen almost immediately upon connection, but Android devices took quite a while longer. We were using an iPad 3, iPhone 5s and a galaxy s5. The room had a large closet but not many hangers and there was no dresser in the room to put our clothes in. The TV was a newer samsung flat screen with the original remote. Both worked and worked fine. The hotel room did not have any bug issues. The room was clean and did not have any musty odor we have come to expect in tropical regions. The cooling system in this room worked well, almost too well as we found the first  night before reducing the fan speed. We went to the on property (indoor) magic show - Kupahana. The show was great and was family oriented. It included a very nice dinner and was a relaxing break from all of the outdoor activities. It was much more than just one person doing card tricks. You have to experience all of it has to offer. The other thing worthy of mentioning was the Ohana family breakfast for newcomers. I originally thought this was a timeshare pitch but I was wrong. It gave people ideas on what they can do on the island as far as tours and activities. So many people don't know everything available until their last day or two. That has happened to us. Mikala led off the presentation. When we spoke to him individually, he gave us personal tips and advice on what to look out for regarding snorkeling. They even raffled off a couple trips and dinners during the presentation.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Allyn22_Pgh
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel was quite adequate for my stay. I did not come to Maui to stay at the hotel / pool all day. The hotel has been around for quite a while but the grounds were well kept and neat. The staff was very friendly. I met a couple of employees that had worked there for more than 40 years. I stayed in the Molokai wing, room 228. We were able to connect to the courtyard wifi, but you needed to get an access code from the front desk, even though the access point showed as open. Apple devices brought up the access screen almost immediately upon connection, but Android devices took a while longer. We were using an iPad 3, iPhone 5s and a galaxy s5. The room had a large closet but not many hangers and there was no dresser in the room to put our other clothes in. The TV was a newer samsung flat screen with the original remote. Both worked and worked fine. The hotel room did not have any bug issues. The room was clean and did not have any musty odor we have come to expect in tropical regions. The cooling system in this room worked well, almost too well as we found the first  night before reducing the fan speed. We went to the on property (indoor) magic show - Kupahana. The show was great and was family oriented. It included a very nice dinner and was a relaxing break from all of the outdoor activities. It was much more than just one person doing card tricks. You have to experience it to see all it has to offer. The other thing worthy of mentioning was the Ohana family breakfast for newcomers. I originally thought this was a timeshare pitch but I was wrong. It gave people ideas on what they can do on the island as far as tours and activities. You are not obligated in any way. So many people get here and don't know everything the island has to offer until they get home to find they missed out. Mikala led off the presentation. We talked to him individually and he gave us personal tips and advice on what to look out for when snorkeling. They even raffled off a couple trips and dinners during the breakfast.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Al R
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My mom and I stayed at the kaanapali beach hotel, which is off of the beach by just a couple of minutes. It's a great beach to walk along and not to mention it is very clean and well kept. It was the best beach that I have ever been to. Also, we were close to black rock which is a perfect spot for anyone who likes to cliff dive, and for snorkelling as well. They provide you free towels at little huts along the walkway if your a resident of a hotel there. Also great walking path to the place called whalers village which is an awesome outdoor shopping centre, we went there quite a bit.

2  Thank Renie94
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We last stayed at this hotel in 1988. It has been refurbished. Of the three hotels at which we stayed during our 15 day Hawaiian vacation, this was by far p, at least initially, our least favorite. Our original room was small with a tiny ocean view from our lanai. I had requested a free upgrade, since we were returning guests...26 years ago. We had not been to Maui since 1988.

I called the front desk, to state my displeasure with the room, and the fact that we did not receive a free upgrade as requested over the months since our reservation. I asked to speak to the manager. After some back and forth, we were offered an ocean front on the first floor. I usually don't like the first floor for security reasons. We saw the room, found it so much bigger and better, and made the switch. I thanked the manager, Salome, for providing the upgrade.

The first floor worked out very well. It was very convenient to step out to the beach, and we didn't have to deal with the quirky elevators at the far end of the hall.

Breakfast was included. I didn't quite understand why after we saw the host/hostess, showed them our vouchers, everyone had to wait in a small lounge to be seated. The restaurant was nearly empty. This was a buffet breakfast, where we serve ourselves. The waiter, any waiter, can bring you your coffee or tea. No need to wait.

There was a fee to park. $17/day. The fee for lounges, cabanas, and umbrellas were discounted for hotel guests. Very reasonable. We paid less than $22 for a cabana with two padded lounge chairs.

Wine at the bar was a ridiculously low $4 a glass! I believe last call was at ten. Early for us.

Be carefully in the water. The surf can be dangerous.

We told the desk when we checked in that we would celebrating our 42nd anniversary. We gave them the date, the desk marked it down, and promised a bottle of champagne. Our anniversary came and went. No champagne. However, miraculously, a bottle of champagne appeared in our refrigerator at ap 1pm. Now that was very nice, oops, but I have to drive to the airport in a few hours. I can't be drunk on champagne! We shared the bottle with others on the beach.

Our flight to Phoenix and Boston wasn't leaving until 10:30 pm. I asked what was the latest check out time we could have. We paid an extra $90 and had the room until 6pm. We had to check the day before to make sure it was available. We spent the day at the beach, and we're able to shower before heading to the airport.

Would I stay again? I believe I would if provided a free upgrade again. Hotels should provide extras for their returning guests. If not, why return? I thank Salome again for that wonderful free upgrade.

Room Tip: Old hotel that has been refurbished. Wifi was being upgraded, and was not available. If you truly d...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bvieira
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were upgraded to an ocean view room with a bottle of champagne waiting for us. Ask for a bed board, if you like a firm bed.
Grounds and beach area are very nice. Cabana rental was reasonable. Short walk to Whalers Village with lots of restaurants to choose from.
Wifi is only in the outdoor bar area, but was broken the week we were there. I believe there is a charge, if it would have been working.
Departure ceremony was very nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I usually stay in 4 to 5 star hotels but having lived in Hawaii for 2 years I wanted to go back to a traditional hotel where I felt like family. This is it. Kaanapali Beach Hotel is traditional and it has beautiful grounds...lots of grass and quiet places to relax. It is all refurbished. It is not a hotel for someone wanting swanky 5 star. I looked at the Westin just up the beach and it was all glitz and glam...flamingos in the pool and a black swan. Everyone was crammed in around the pool you could have been anywhere in the world. But with Kaanapali Beach Hotel I felt like I was back in Hawaii in the 80's which is when I lived there. The guy at the bar has been there for 30 years. I loved the grounds..the chess game on the grass and the Hawaiian checkers. Staff are fantastic. Its a 2 min walk to Whalers Village which we loved. Dinner at hotel was fantastic too. The beach is beautiful and we were swimming with turtles. The sofas are covered in flowers and the rooms are similar with traditional furniture...I love it.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room but we looked over the garden and out to the beach it was amazing. We we...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank ausloz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Aston Kaanapali Shores
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 31 in Lahaina

Been to Kaanapali Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!