“Excellent value, actually makes you feel like you're in Hawaii”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent value, actually makes you feel like you're in Hawaii”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I recently had our wedding on Maui's north shore, and after booking our venue, we decided that the most interesting and convenient place for us and our guests to stay would be the west coast. We had 50 guests fly in and almost all stayed with us at KBH. I am so happy that I chose this hotel. I'd read a few warnings that this place was 'old school' or not up to modern standards, but in the end I was very pleasantly surprised. The decor is Hawaiian, but the rooms are clean, and come with AC, toiletries, and balconies that offer spectacular views. All the staff were extremely pleasant - always saying Aloha when they passed.

One of the nicest things about the hotel are the central grounds. This hotel obviously benefits from the fact that it was built earlier than a number of the neighbouring hotels. The building wings are only 6 levels high so the common areas are not as densely populated as other hotels and the common grounds area is much larger than the nearby Westin. The grounds are also beautifully landscaped and maintained. Many people enjoyed lounging here since they were shaded by trees and could enjoy the peaceful atmosphere. My parents stayed in a garden suite and enjoyed sitting out and watching the goings on.

The hotel is really well positioned right on Kaanapali beach. Black rock is just a short stroll or swim down the beach. Getting to Whalers Village for dinner is just a 5 minute walk along a tiki torch lit beachfront promenade.

A few cons - No Wifi. It seems unimaginable today. They offer in-room internet via ethernet cable, and claim to have a wifi in the pool area, but this didn't work for us. This would be my main issue. They also hand out, in a seemingly arbitrary way, various coupons and discounts for their restaurant and other activities. Some people get them, some don't. If you care, you should ask. I think the hotel should just drop them - the free welcome breakfast didn't seem worth showing up at 8am for.

Overall, I think this hotel is doing a fantastic job and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: I recommend the Kauai wing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annexaviera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Thanks to Costco travel, we had reservations at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Our family of 4 thoroughly enjoyed our stay. This is not an overly fancy hotel with awe inspiring rooms, but the grounds, the service and the rooms were clean, comfortable and welcoming. We had room 649 and adjoining room 650. Gramma and 10 year old son stayed in the room with 2 double beds and hubby and I had the room with a king and a trundle/couch. With the adjoining door it was like having a large suite! Both rooms were considered a partial ocean view, but there was nothing partial about it. Unbelievable views from the lanai! Beds we're comfy and very clean, towels were soft, mini fridge cold, safe roomy enough for all our electronics that weren't needed while exploring Maui.
The grounds were amazing, much better than the more expensive next door Sheraton. Very Hawaii-esque.
There is a fancy restaurant, which we didn't use for dinner, but they have the breakfast buffet in every morning. Our breakfast buffet was included in our package which was a money saver. The few days we had lunch on site, we ate at the Tiki Grill. Expensive (as is all tourist food, so no real complaint), but tasty. Burgers, salads and sandwiches. Works for picky kids and "can't stand another burger" adults too. The Tiki Bar is adjacent and they make wonderful drinks. Many locals come up from the beach for the drinks too. That should tell you something.
The pool was warm and inviting. It is in the shape of a whale, with a shallow tail, going into a 7 foot deep end at the head. Even when full, it was still enjoyable.
The hotel has a nice paved path out to the beach. The path also runs the length of Kaanapali beach. The water is clear, small waves, but note, there is a sand drop off in certain places with a bit of a pull out past standing up in the water (in case you have non swimmers or real little kids). It is super close to Black Rock where there is great snorkeling.
There is a beach shack that you check out towels for the pool and for the beach. You can exchange all trip but you check the final set in before check out. They also rent snorkel equipment and beach stuff (chairs, umbrellas, etc). You can schedule adventure tours through them too.
All in all, it was a very comfortable, non pretentious, Hawaiian feeling stay. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the Lanai building, 6th floor for the best ocean view. 649/650 were directly center...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Shelly R
canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The 3 of us, including our 13 yr old daughter, vacationned here for 10 days and were delighted with this hawaiian run hotel.

Room: On arrival, we were upgraded from an ocean view room to a large 2 queen beds ocean front room (487) in the Kauai building. In the center of this building, there are 2 oceanfront rooms on each floor that extend about 4 feet further than the 2 others on either side. This gives them a full ocean view versus a half ocean view the side rooms get. For this reason, I recommend the rooms 286 or 287, 386 or 387, 486 or 487, 586 or 587, and if you are a smoker 686 or 687. These rooms are closest to the beach, more than the Molokai building. While lying in bed, we can hear the ocean and see the sand and beach. How dreamy is that! The bedroom was clean and the room maintenance was good. This was one of the renovated rooms and to be perfectly honest, I thought it would be much more up to date. The renovations were modest but then again, it was just fine in terms of value for the reasonable price we paid in comparison to the other high end hotels next door. Everything was functionnal in the room and we had plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the shower. The matresses were somewhat tired but we still had a good night's sleep. We had plenty of closet space and room for our luggage.

Dinning: Every night, we ordered out and had supper on our balcony. We never saw such an awsome sunset and dining in a restaurant could never even come close to the dining experience on our balcony. We ordered from the Tiki grill or the Tiki terrace at the hotel and the food was good. The portions very large. Fresh fish, shrimps, beef, chicken skewers, pasta, burgers, hot dogs, pizza etc. Prices varied from $6, to $24. The service was fast and friendly. We went to the Whaler's village a couple of time and picked-up a meal at one of the 3 fast food restaurants at the food court (Subway, a pizza place, and Ruby's deli). Also there are 3 very large outdoor restaurants with a live band. They serve breakfast, lunch or dinner which and have a large menu. Though somewhat expensive, about 30% more than at the Ka'anapali beach hotel, the food looked yummy. We didn't try them cause they were a bit too noisy for us and really crowded. We prefered the tranquil comfort of our 1st class seating on our balcony. Also at the Whaler's village can be found Yogourtland where you can pile on top of all the different yogourts you choose, as many toppings you desire and pay by the weight. So delicious!

Pool and beach: The white sand beach is clean and has fabulous waves that are great for bouggie boarding or body surfing. Also, really great snorkling (we saw 2 giant sea turtles and an abundance of tropical fish). We also saw in the distance, a few spouts from whales. The Trilogy catamaran leaves on many excursions every day right off the beach in front of us, but this didn't disturb our beach fun in any way. We rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for $180 a week (special price for hotel clients instead of $210) and it was well worth it cause there is no shade what so ever on the beach and the sun is just so hot. We didn't see any umbrellas or chairs for sale at the Whaler's village, but we did see bougie boards for $23. We rented ours at the hotel for $10 (2 hours) or $18 (all day till 5pm). These appeared to be more sturdy and didn't break or crack in the waves.

Hotel grounds and pool: We had free WiFi in the beautiful garden court yard that functionned perfectly. It's also a peaceful place with many flowers and trees to relax and have a snooze or read a book. The pool was warm in comparison to the ocean and not as clean as we would have liked it to be, but not sufficient to deter us from dipping into it at the end of the day at the beach.

Overall: The staff was warm, polite, alway smiling and so helpful. This really made this place special. A true desire to please and to inform us on their way of life and history in order for it to transend in time. This was a great hawaiian experience that I most probably would not have got from a large chain hotel. So glad we picked this place, a little piece of paradise.

Room Tip: In the center of the Kauai building, there are 2 oceanfront rooms on each floor that extend about 4...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank elyssa
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel was quite adequate for my stay. I did not come to Maui to stay at the hotel / pool all day. The hotel has been around for quite a while but the grounds were well kept and neat. The staff was very friendly. I met a couple of employees that had worked there for more than 40 years. I stayed in the Molokai wing, room 228. We were able to connect to the courtyard wifi, but you needed to get an access code from the front desk, even though the access point showed as open. Apple devices brought up the access screen almost immediately upon connection, but Android devices took quite a while longer. We were using an iPad 3, iPhone 5s and a galaxy s5. The room had a large closet but not many hangers and there was no dresser in the room to put our clothes in. The TV was a newer samsung flat screen with the original remote. Both worked and worked fine. The hotel room did not have any bug issues. The room was clean and did not have any musty odor we have come to expect in tropical regions. The cooling system in this room worked well, almost too well as we found the first  night before reducing the fan speed. We went to the on property (indoor) magic show - Kupahana. The show was great and was family oriented. It included a very nice dinner and was a relaxing break from all of the outdoor activities. It was much more than just one person doing card tricks. You have to experience all of it has to offer. The other thing worthy of mentioning was the Ohana family breakfast for newcomers. I originally thought this was a timeshare pitch but I was wrong. It gave people ideas on what they can do on the island as far as tours and activities. So many people don't know everything available until their last day or two. That has happened to us. Mikala led off the presentation. When we spoke to him individually, he gave us personal tips and advice on what to look out for regarding snorkeling. They even raffled off a couple trips and dinners during the presentation.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Allyn22_Pgh
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel was quite adequate for my stay. I did not come to Maui to stay at the hotel / pool all day. The hotel has been around for quite a while but the grounds were well kept and neat. The staff was very friendly. I met a couple of employees that had worked there for more than 40 years. I stayed in the Molokai wing, room 228. We were able to connect to the courtyard wifi, but you needed to get an access code from the front desk, even though the access point showed as open. Apple devices brought up the access screen almost immediately upon connection, but Android devices took a while longer. We were using an iPad 3, iPhone 5s and a galaxy s5. The room had a large closet but not many hangers and there was no dresser in the room to put our other clothes in. The TV was a newer samsung flat screen with the original remote. Both worked and worked fine. The hotel room did not have any bug issues. The room was clean and did not have any musty odor we have come to expect in tropical regions. The cooling system in this room worked well, almost too well as we found the first  night before reducing the fan speed. We went to the on property (indoor) magic show - Kupahana. The show was great and was family oriented. It included a very nice dinner and was a relaxing break from all of the outdoor activities. It was much more than just one person doing card tricks. You have to experience it to see all it has to offer. The other thing worthy of mentioning was the Ohana family breakfast for newcomers. I originally thought this was a timeshare pitch but I was wrong. It gave people ideas on what they can do on the island as far as tours and activities. You are not obligated in any way. So many people get here and don't know everything the island has to offer until they get home to find they missed out. Mikala led off the presentation. We talked to him individually and he gave us personal tips and advice on what to look out for when snorkeling. They even raffled off a couple trips and dinners during the breakfast.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Al R
Wetaskiwin
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My mom and I stayed at the kaanapali beach hotel, which is off of the beach by just a couple of minutes. It's a great beach to walk along and not to mention it is very clean and well kept. It was the best beach that I have ever been to. Also, we were close to black rock which is a perfect spot for anyone who likes to cliff dive, and for snorkelling as well. They provide you free towels at little huts along the walkway if your a resident of a hotel there. Also great walking path to the place called whalers village which is an awesome outdoor shopping centre, we went there quite a bit.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Renie94
Somerset, MA
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We last stayed at this hotel in 1988. It has been refurbished. Of the three hotels at which we stayed during our 15 day Hawaiian vacation, this was by far p, at least initially, our least favorite. Our original room was small with a tiny ocean view from our lanai. I had requested a free upgrade, since we were returning guests...26 years ago. We had not been to Maui since 1988.

I called the front desk, to state my displeasure with the room, and the fact that we did not receive a free upgrade as requested over the months since our reservation. I asked to speak to the manager. After some back and forth, we were offered an ocean front on the first floor. I usually don't like the first floor for security reasons. We saw the room, found it so much bigger and better, and made the switch. I thanked the manager, Salome, for providing the upgrade.

The first floor worked out very well. It was very convenient to step out to the beach, and we didn't have to deal with the quirky elevators at the far end of the hall.

Breakfast was included. I didn't quite understand why after we saw the host/hostess, showed them our vouchers, everyone had to wait in a small lounge to be seated. The restaurant was nearly empty. This was a buffet breakfast, where we serve ourselves. The waiter, any waiter, can bring you your coffee or tea. No need to wait.

There was a fee to park. $17/day. The fee for lounges, cabanas, and umbrellas were discounted for hotel guests. Very reasonable. We paid less than $22 for a cabana with two padded lounge chairs.

Wine at the bar was a ridiculously low $4 a glass! I believe last call was at ten. Early for us.

Be carefully in the water. The surf can be dangerous.

We told the desk when we checked in that we would celebrating our 42nd anniversary. We gave them the date, the desk marked it down, and promised a bottle of champagne. Our anniversary came and went. No champagne. However, miraculously, a bottle of champagne appeared in our refrigerator at ap 1pm. Now that was very nice, oops, but I have to drive to the airport in a few hours. I can't be drunk on champagne! We shared the bottle with others on the beach.

Our flight to Phoenix and Boston wasn't leaving until 10:30 pm. I asked what was the latest check out time we could have. We paid an extra $90 and had the room until 6pm. We had to check the day before to make sure it was available. We spent the day at the beach, and we're able to shower before heading to the airport.

Would I stay again? I believe I would if provided a free upgrade again. Hotels should provide extras for their returning guests. If not, why return? I thank Salome again for that wonderful free upgrade.

Room Tip: Old hotel that has been refurbished. Wifi was being upgraded, and was not available. If you truly d...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple