“True paradise.”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 12 December 2009

The staff were very friendly and answered any questions we had. They also had great recommendations for tours, sightseeing, etc. The restaurants were expensive but that's expected in Hawaii. The food was fantastic and the kids loved it too. The beach was beautiful and not too crowded. I would love to go there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank susned

Reviewed 12 December 2009

So we took a chance by staying here for our honeymoon instead of closer to downtown. So glad we did! It's on the nicest stretch of beach on Maui and 3 blocks from snorkling off the beach. Wonderful room with modern amenities and the best sheets/comforter ever. So glad we took that chance and stayed here. Perfect for a honeymoon. Extremely quiet, minimal kids.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hoot45
Reviewed 9 December 2009

We recently took a week long vacation to Maui and of the 8 nights there spent and 6 nights at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel 2 nights at the Westin Maui .

Arriving at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel is always a pleasure. As always, we were warmly welcomed. The Kaanapali Beach Hotel makes you feel at home, the staff is friendly and most importantly it is organized and CLEAN! Walking into our room, you immediately notice the difference in the attention to detail, organization and cleanliness in comparison to the the Westin. The room was well organised, user friendly, clean and exactly what you need for Hawaii; a clean, organized space to dump all your stuff when you come back from the beach or pool all day. It's cleaned very well every day.

The Tiki Terrace restaurant, located next to my favorite spot ( the very excellent Tiki bar & Grill) is very nice as well. We found the service and the food to be better than a comparable meal at Leilani's. An added bonus is live local Hawaian music and stories while you eat. I like that if I'm flying all the way to Hawaii, that's part of what I go for.

The property is arched around an outdoor courtyard with a pool and you can basically throw a rock to the beach so you pretty much walk out of your room and you can see the beach. It's very kid friendly with lots of activities but balances it just fine for adults as well.

If I want the flash, I'll go to Vegas. If I want a great room at a good price with a true local Hawaiian feel and without all the pretense I can get in the mainland US, count me in for the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. We are never disappointed. It's kind if like being in your own home, you just happen to be in Hawaii!

As for the 2 nights spent at the Westin, although the Westin is considered a 4 star hotel, our room did not reflect that at all. There was mold of some sort near the a/c vent, the room was unorganized, had too much furniture for the space available and the TV was situated to the far right of the bed with a large armoir directly in front of the bed. Therefore only one person on the bed could really see the TV well. There was a table and two chairs in front of the desk the TV was on, so you couldn't really use the desk and the table also partially blocked the door to the balcony.

You could see a dirty piping under the bathroom sink and the wall paper in the bathroom was starting to peel off in spots. They had a small refrigerator in the closet that had some folded up magazine paper under one side of it to keep it balanced.

It was clear that interior decorating 101, attention to detail and general management oversight of the property was siginificantly lacking. To top it off, when our waiter handed us our menu at the restaurant, there was a cockroach on it. Seriously. It just din't, in anyway, match our expectations. We've stayed at a lot of Hotels in Hawaii but our favorite is always the Kaanapali Beach Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gmhr16
Reviewed 8 December 2009

I read a lot of reviews before deciding to book this hotel for the first half of my trip. I wanted an authentic Hawaiian hotel that was in Lahaina area. This fit the bill. Yes, this hotel was on the older side, but the amount of effort and customer service that was provided cannot be matched. The staff try really hard to make you feel a part of the family and we were always greeted in a friendly manner.

You get a welcome breakfast on the first or second day on your stay. The welcome breakfast wasn't all that great because it was just a buffet that consisted of scrambled eggs, potatoes, cereal, fruit, juice and coffee. It was however, a very nice gesture. They took this time to tell you about the activities around the island and which tour companies were available. The staff also provided information as to what to watch out for, example - if you were to add this option to your excursion, keep in mind it's not free and this is the price for it. (Insider tips I would tell my friends or family if I were to tell them about excursions I've been on) This was something that this hotel didn't have to do, but they chose to do so and I found it thoughtful.

The rooms are decent size and I was fine with it. There isn't much to do at the hotel in terms of nightlife though. There is a show performed at night, but no one ever hung around their bar, so my husband and I just went to sleep around 9PM every night. That actually worked out since it forced us to wake up early every morning.

The pool wasn't very big, but it was cute since it was in the shape of a whale. The best part of the hotel was the location. I enjoyed the beach quite a bit and was barely ever at the pool. My husband jogged on the beach every morning and he loved it.

There was no room service and parking is $9.00 a day. Laundry and internet aren't free either. We stayed at another hotel in Maui and all this was free, except the room service of course, but I'm not sure if that's the norm. It sure made the trip more relaxing knowing that you didn't have to shell out more money though.

There is only one thing I absolutely hated in this hotel are the pillows. I had a hard time sleeping since the pillows had no support and it was worst than sleeping on a bag of marshmellows. Other than that, I thought the service was fantastic in this hotel. I would have given this hotel 3/5, but because of their attention to detail, I would rate this hotel 4/5.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank koko269
Reviewed 6 December 2009

We found Maui too pricey in comparison with others islands of Hawaii. The hotel has a wonderful green space outside, the room is quite clean and the staff ok. The beach front the hotel was good but but the others beches of Maui are quite far. Nice surprise the first breakfast included.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We just got back and wanted to tell you about it. It was a 3 star hotel so I had reservations about it. Due to many family members going for a wedding we had to watch the prices. We felt like one of the family...everywhere you went on the grounds, you were greated with a hearty hello...something you don't always see. The food was great...no matter what we ate...presented beautifully. The only real complaint we had was that the air conditioner wasn't on when we came into the room so it kind of smelled like mildew. Once you opened the sliding door or put ac it was okay. The other guests in our party complained of the samething too. I did address this issue when we left. The grounds are kept clean and the activities were plenty. We were there for Thanksgiving so we made reservations for there feast and what a feast it was...variety of foods. We also had the Deluxe Buffet Breakfast with our daily room rate and it was unbelieveable. The location was great but I do have to say that everything closes up at 10:00. We were on vacation and would like to hear music or have a drink by the bar after 10:00. It was like this at other hotels too. There was also a day they had to worn us about the ocean. They left us a personal message on the phone to all there guests about the under tow...not to go in the ocean for 24 hours ...sorry none of the guests listen and they were quite right.
I would go back to this hotel in a minute but I don't know if I would go tback to Maui again.
..being from the east coast it was a long ride and we have several beautiful areas down in the caribbean.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Good location within walking distance to Whalers Village shops and restaurants, and good snorkeling site at black rock. I would recommend bringing mask and snorkel because fins are not absolutely necessary here. I was able to stand on bottom and see sea turtles within arms reach. Otherwise, you will spend 10$ an hour per set. Whalers village has good restaurants and good place to go for coffee or a quick breakfast.

Room spacious but not luxorius (comparable to best western or similar). We stayed in room 146 which I would recommend due to closeness to parking garage, pool, ice machine and house cleaning (where you get beach towels). My family enjoyed the magic dinner show held at the hotel. My 7 and 5 year old boys got bored of the pool fairly quickly; the water was cold and no slides or anything exciting. The Sheraton next door has a much nicer pool for kids IMO. Count on spending additonal $9.00 a day for parking or $11.00 if you choose valet.

Some of the negatives I experienced included no pool side drink service. The pool is right next to the Tiki bar so I expected to be able to lounge poolside and have a server come by to take drink orders. The "happy hour" was lame IMO. Only one beer and one cocktail were reduced slighlty. No food specials. The facility is a little dated. For example, there is no fan in the bathroom for ventilation. No free internet access, but you can print out airline boarding passes for free at front desk.

Overall, just an average experience for our 4 day stay over Thanksgiving.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family