“Very Fun!”
Review of Old Lahaina Luau

Old Lahaina Luau
Ranked #3 of 17 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Lahaina Luau takes great pride in presenting an authentic Hawaiian Luau. An evening of traditional Hawaiian cuisine, music, cultural dances and demonstrations. Guests will appreciate a genuine reflection of Hawaii's rich history while enjoying an ocean view and sunset.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 9 May 2014

No one is more touristy than I am - decked out in a Hawaiian floral shirt, lei’d, fruity drink in hand, trying unsuccessfully to squat sit on my cushion at a traditional low table at the Old Lahaina Luau & Feast in Lahaina Maui. If I topple over backwards, Weeble-style in lotus position, my dignity would still be intact because happiness is feasting beachside, near sunset surrounded by happy tourists and the wafting aroma of roast pig - and poi..

The minute you arrive, you are treated with hospitality - the attendants, clothed in traditional floral wraps(?), efficiently direct where you can park, where to stand in line and where to pick up your tickets. You are then organized in clusters based on seating arrangements, and then expertly guided through different entrances leading to your tables. As you enter, Greeters offer you a choice of drink and immediately hand that drink to you, all while explaining where you can get more (at their open bar,) and always with smiling faces. What could have been very chaotic - because there were hundreds of us - is amazingly deftly handled. If only Six Flags were as efficient.

During feast preparation, you are free to roam and participate in different Oceanside activity, from photo-ops to dance demonstrations to peruse local art stands. Each activity, is directed (I would later find out) by either participants of the show or wait staff. In fact, I notice the guy handling the rock toss game (kind of like a giant ground shuffleboard) was one of the guys directing traffic earlier! I watch as he jokes with the crowd egging them to participate and as I walked up to play, I say, “it must be fun to do this every day.” When he hands me the game rock, I notice that for a split microsecond, he breaks character and his facial expression says, “You’ve got to be kidding me!” But he’s quick to recover - he returns to character and smiles and says he loves it. Even a job in paradise is sometimes still work.

The biggest pre-meal ceremony is the unearthing of the roast pig. If you go to their website you’ll see pictures. Under charcoal and sand, two bare-chested guys unearth a giant banana leaf swaddled pig and several giant pork roasts. They’re hilarious as they banter with the tourists; their funny remarks only hint of sarcasm and resentment for us tourist types who’ve shelled out over a hundred bucks each to watch this show.

The sound of the dinner bell announces everyone to return to their seats. We are escorted a table at a time to the dinner buffet. I don’t think the pulled pork is the same pig that was unearthed a few minutes earlier. There wasn't enough time to prepare and separate the meat this fast. I’m guessing the pig unearthed today is the one they’ll use on the menu tomorrow. The pulled pork is good, but cold. The menu on the buffet is extensive – leaf wrapped pork, beef tenderloin steak, and pineapple marinated chicken – all delicious. I try poi for the first time since it was introduced to me on that special episode of The Brady Bunch Goes to Hawaii. It does not taste the way I expect.

The show is fantastic. The history of the islands interpreted through dance. There are several costume changes and the dancers were beautiful but there seems to be a lack of pyrotechnics. I was hoping for more fire twirling.

Overall – a fun and wonderful night. If I were to do this again, I would choose tables and chairs. Though traditional squat down tables bring me closer to the action on stage, the rigor in my knees takes several minutes to return to an upright position.

1  Thank LubbockC
Write a ReviewReviews (6,650)
All reviews
in 78 reviews
"walk around"
in 109 reviews

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I have been to several luau's in Hawaii, but this was my favorite. The service was very good. Our waiter was very attentive, he made sure that we had enough food and drink. After dinner, he positioned our chairs so we could see the stage. The show was very entertaining and informational at the same time. It displayed the traditional hawaiian hula and told the story of the first settlers on the islands of hawaii. The buffet was delicious a good selction of hawaiian dishes. I reccommend the ahi poke, very fresh and tasty.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Every time we go to Hawaii we go to a Luau. We had already been to the recommended Smiths Luau many years ago and decided on the Grand Hyatt one. I really enjoyed this one for several reasons. They did not do the traditional digging up of the pig as it was already being prepared at the buffet table, however the MC did a very since explanation of the Hawaiian traditions. Also they recognized anniversaries by only having them stand and instead had all the birthday people come up on stage. I thought that was cool. The entertainment was done by a much smaller troupe of dancers and they were very good. They food was outstanding as well as delicious desserts. It was also seat yourself. I would definitely highly recommend this Luau for a nice classic not overdone luau.

1  Thank Carole517
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were told this was the most authentic Luau on Maui so we decided to go. It is on beautiful grounds in north Lahaina. The food was good and the all you can drink tiki bar made for a fun time. The performance was entertaining, even though in general I'm not into theatre or dancing. It was a great experience but I couldn't help but feel like I paid too much at $112 a person, so I would probably not go back my next time I go to Maui. Everyone should try it once though!