“6B Treated Us Well”
Review of Maui Sands

Maui Sands
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I stayed in unit 6B for one week and I enjoyed my time there immensely. While the complex is not new or fancy, it had a very welcoming and homey feel. Our unit didn't have air conditioning or washer and dryer but there were plenty of fans and a bank of washers and dryers for the complex.
I loved the location of the Maui Sands. It's easy walking distance to Times Market to the South and a great little farmers market to the North. Snorkel Bobs and Boss Frog are both represented as well. The only thing I would have changed about the location is the shallow reef. It would have been great being able to snorkel without having to jump in the car. That said, Blackrock, Airport and even Kapalua are all within a short hop down the road.
Our unit was nicely stocked and well appointed. It was very nice to have a well appointed kitchen to do our cooking. We BBQ'd steaks, used a crock pot to do a stew and also made use of the rice cooker as well. It was also very nice having plenty of spices at our disposal.
All in all I am very happy with Maui Sands and unit 6B. Do yourself a favor and skip the busy touristy type places and relax with Maui Sands as your base camp!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank NewBPK

Reviewed 19 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at this property in July of 2010 for a week. Upon arriving, the place looked rundown and old from the outside, but we were pleasantly surprised at the renovations inside. Our disappointment came when we had to deal with sugar ants all over the place. They first appeared in the bathroom, then in the kitchen. We were sure not to leave anything out on the counters, so were very surprised when we found them. I did email the owners who quickly apologized and let us know that there was ant spray in the pantry. We found ourselves spraying and respraying for ants all week. Not something that I want to be doing on my vacation.
This unit is rented by Hawaii Vacation Rental by Owner Listing 223374

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank seven79
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Just stayed at Maui Sands 5E.The two bed room /two bath condo was amazing..absolutly Beautiful. The View was breath taking and Condo was well kept. A lot of fantastic art! Oh and the bathroom can't say enough never seen anything like it!..The price was right & it made my Maui Vacation and dream come true!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RockinCali
Reviewed 8 April 2010

This is pur third time at Maui Sands! We have stayed in 5A twice and then further back on the property once. We love the small property with the beautiful landscaping and being right by the ocean. While fixing breakfast, lunch or dinner, we are distracted by the whales jumping and slapping their fins in view of the kitchen and livingroom. We love to hear the sound of the waves as we sleep. The snorkeling is decent right in front of the property. The property is somewhat protected by a double reef! Our grandchildren have loved playing on the sandy beach just south of the property. You can walk on the beach from Maui Sands all the way to the north side of Black Rock. We really love Maui and are so thankful to have found out about this incredible property. It is an older property, but the location is awesome! If you want all the waterslides and valet parking and maid service, you will need to find another place! Thank you Maui Sands for another memorable vacation! We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dougalison
Reviewed 16 October 2009

We enjoyed our 16 day stay,the grounds were well layed out with beautiful vegetation throughout.We had access to the barbeque at the pool for evening meals.The unit we rented was #712 and it's owners professional renovations, the units proximity to the ocean, and the ocean's sounds,were the makings for a fantastic vacation.We highly recommend Maui Sands unit #712,you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank rrsamson
Reviewed 5 March 2009

Here is my e-mail I sent the owner of Maui Sands 6F that I want to share:

Hi John,

I just wanted to send you an email saying how much we enjoyed your condo last week and thank you for sharing it with us. We saw tons of whales, some dolphins and even a seal while on the road to Hana. Everything was beautiful and we had the best time. We even discussed with the other couple looking into purchasing the unit right next to you which is currently for sale.

It was really nice to have access to the water equipment and the full kitchen. We enjoyed some really good meals by the pool on a couple nights. The breeze we had by leaving the windows open allowed us to not have to use the air conditioner even once. I hope you don't mind, but I passed your information on to a couple friends possibly interested in going to Hawaii and my wife is already pressuring me to plan our next trip there.

I think you said you were going out there just after us, if you are, I hope you have as great a time as we did (I can't see how anyone couldn't) and we hope to be in contact with you again for a future trip. Mahalo.

Tom

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank TomPArizona
Reviewed 14 November 2008

We stayed at the Maui Sands Unit 5E for one week in November. The building is two-story that looks like a motel. Both the building and the room need some serious updating. Wires are exposed in several places, and the carpet in the room looks old and full of stains.

Worse yet, the kitchen area is full of small ants. We discovered the ants when we first arrieved and emailed the owner for a solution. We did not hear anything from her at all. I guess once you have paid, you are locked in. My wife almost wanted to leave immediately. She only stayed after I went out to get some bug spray and fumigated the whole kitchen area.

Overall, the experience is not very pleasant. I would not recommend this property at all. This place is way over-priced for what you are getting.

Also, when we made the reservation, we were told that we could swim in the ocean right outside the building. The fact is you can, but the surf is quite severe, and you must be a very good swimmer to avoid being thrown onto the rocks. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jimred
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Ocean Inn
Dreams Come True on Maui Bed and Breakfast
Lahaina Ocean's Edge
Lahaina Ocean's Edge
#4 of 11 in Lahaina

Been to Maui Sands? Share your experiences!