“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Chicago 'burbs
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Got back from a week long trip. The reason we choose NKBR was primarily the location, and because of its character ( no high rises etc).

Wonderful place, very friendly staff. We stayed in beach front AC room (room number 35). We were there with our 4 year old.

Besides the great beach they have a a bunch of swimming pools. Great for kids. There are 2 mini-golf courses, ping pong table, shuffle board for which they give equipment. Also you can get snorkel equipment.

Every day they have special activities for kids/grownups etc. Overall a great place IMO. Probably not for very young couples ...most people were families.

Cons: The biggest complain I have is the size of the room. I felt the room was small (but not sure if thats how they are in hawaii). But did not really spend too much time in the room. Kitchen could have used a dish washer

But the lanai was real nice.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank bearsbigfan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Denver, CO
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Stayed in June 2008, nice property but its the wrong place and time of year if you're looking for a quiet and relaxing hotel. Great place if you have children.

Beach area is nice but it's shared with a host of other hotels, you really can't see that from their web cam, so its pretty packed with little ones playing in water. Forget grabbing a nap in during the day in the summer months.

Use the public access beach behind the property which can be accessed via the parking lot.

Early mornings and late evenings on the beach are nice as was the ocean view from the room.

Had to move rooms, first one was behind the hot tub in the main building and it got loud at night . The staff was extremely nice and helpful.

Earlier reviews of their restaurant are correct, quite pricey for what you get.

• Stayed June 2003, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PaulDurkin
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 29 May 2008

I thought that this was one of the nicer hotels I have ever stayed in. I booked a studio that overlooked the ocean and was perfectly happy with all aspects of my stay. The room was nice, the view was amazing, the staff were friendly and there was an Expedia-Local Expert booking agent on the premises for finding activities.

The grounds were pleasant and they loaned you beach towels, snorkles and masks so you could swim right out into the bay and watch fish swimming in the coral.

The resteraunt at the hotel was delicious but a bit pricey, so I just didn't eat there more then once. If you can't find decent food in Maui, then you are not looking.

• Liked — Ocean view
  • Disliked — cost of resteraunt
  • Stayed June 2003, travelled as a couple
2 Thank asfreeman
Seattle
Reviewed 28 May 2008

If you are looking for small, quiet, out-of-the-way resort, Napili Kai is it. No high rise hotels, no big shopping malls, no packed beaches. The resort is sprawled over numerous acres on a beautiful quiet beach. This corner of the island tends to get more clouds, but a quick 5 minute drive south gets you to sunny beachs again. The resort is not "fancy" but it is quite comfortable, and all the amenities are above average (spa, pool, restuarant). The kid's hula show on Tuesday is a MUST see!

• Liked — Quiet and secluded
  • Disliked — It was on the cloudy side of the island and often cooler than the rest of Maui
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank lthenell
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 23 May 2008

We (myself, my husband and our one year old) stayed at Napili Kai for a week in May 2008. We are used to staying in 4-5 star resorts but decided to go with a condo this time since we had the baby with us. We stayed in the Lani II Building on the suggestion of the reservations agent. I specifically stated that I wanted an updated unit and not a dated worn out looking one.

The room was on the second floor of the Lani II building which is the one further back from the ocean. It had a gorgeous view and a lanai that spanned the length of the living room and the bedroom with sliding glass doors in both rooms. The condo seemed fairly updated (though relatively cheaply) and the bathroom was clean though far from luxurious. Also, it was nice to have a second mini bathroom with a separate shower. The cottage cheese ceilings made it look a little dated but I guess that's being a little nit picky.

When we initially checked in I noticed that the railing on the balcony was pretty wide and possibly unsafe for our child. Before we unpacked I called down to the front desk to ask if we could stay in the Lani I building instead which I could see had more secure balconies and I specifically asked for a first floor unit. The person I spoke with seemed so clueless and said she would call me back to let me now about availability. We waited in limbo for about an hour before we realized she was not going to call back. We just stayed super vigilant when our little one was on the balcony and never really got to relax and enjoy the view. If you have a small child, ask for a lower level unit or a unit with glass balcony instead of the metal railings.

Overall the unit was basically clean. (Only found one pincer bug on the toilet and two geckos near the ceiling in the living room. No roaches.) Baby items were provided including a crib with bedding, a diaper pail, and a high chair. When we went down to the pool area, they gave our little one a sand bucket and shovel and an umbrella and the service down there was very nice and friendly. It is a family friendly area and that, along with the location, are the biggest pluses.

Two quick notes:

We both had massages at the "spa." The massages were good but unfortunately it was the massage therapist's last day. There really is no spa to speak of, just a room where you get a massage. No showers, no hot tub, no sauna. I had a scrub and left with grains of sugar all over me because they really are not equipped to do a real scrub like you'd get at a spa. It's ok as long as you know what you're getting (or not getting). The kicker is that they charge just as much as a nice hotel spa. Their prices should be lower to reflect the lack of amenities.

Stay away from the SeaHouse Restaurant unless you are just going for cocktails (the view is great). Ordering anything more there is not a good idea. The first time we went there I ordered chicken tenders for our daughter and as I was cutting them up for her I noticed they were totally raw inside. Thank goodness I hadn't given her any yet. The rest of the food was barely edible and not tasty. We stayed away until the last day when we decided to give it another shot this time for breakfast. I ordered a bowl of fruit for my daughter. I tasted the cantalope and it was totally spoiled and disgusting. I brought it to the waitress's attention. She brought another bowl of fruit saying, "This was made yesterday so it should be better." When was the first bowl made???? In my book, stuff like fruit salad should be made daily. She acknowledged that the first bowl of fruit tasted like it had vinegar in it. Both times, the servers acted really blase about the food being below par - like this was a regular occurrence.

I am not sure we would go back to Napili Kai. If we do, it will be with a lower expectation and it will be strictly for the convenience of staying in a condo and the beauty of the beach.

At $400 a night I expected it to be nicer.

• Liked — location (beach)
  • Disliked — only one restaurant and it was awful
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank FlyAway522
Reviewed 18 May 2008

We just returned from a trip to Maui. We have stayed at the Napili Kai, where we have stayed many, many times prior. I don't know if they have new management or what but......... we had ants then large cockroaches!! At almost $400. a night this is awful. It's awful at any price. We complained to the cleaning staff and were told they would look into it. The problem continued, we finally figured out they were coming out of the drains. The day before we left I was packing up a few things and one actually ran up the leg of my shorts... all I could do was scream !!!. When we told the desk they acted like we were making it up....... I guess they wanted us to save the BIG fellows and introduce them. We know it was happening in the room next door as well. The grounds are still beautiful and you can't beat the beach or the view. They need to update the property, the rooms have not changed in 15 years the fabrics are faded and even a kitchen cabinet door fell off in my hands. The only updated building is the Lani building with a kind of view....... I hope a Share holder reads this and passes on the problems as it was a great place to stay...

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Downhearted
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 13 May 2008

We just got back from our honeymoon at Napili Kai and we’re in a depression being back here in Ohio! We absolutely loved our stay and words can’t justly express our feelings…but I’ll try.

We checked in April 28th (there until May 5th) and the front desk lady was very gracious. She gave us a bunch of information including a nice congrats note on our marriage (also got a bottle of champagne in the room!). And we got a free Expedia beach bag that was very helpful. Our room was an ocean view, second floor, king bed, studio in the Lani II building. When we got to our room, we knew we were in paradise. The view was amazing! I would definitely request ocean view Lani II if you can. It didn’t have AC but we didn’t need it (and my new husband likes to be cool). The winds were enough. The bath was beautifully done with granite and the sink and closet were separate from the shower and toilet which is nice. The kitchen also was upgraded with granite and new appliances. The main décor was old Hawaiian and was perfect. Comfy bed and pillows. The lanai was awesome - large and includes lounge chairs and regular chairs. And we could hear the ocean waves. That was the best – going to sleep hearing the waves. So miss that!

We loved our breakfasts at the Sea House restaurant. We thought they were reasonable – about $25 for the both of us. They were very filling so we basically ate breakfasts and dinners the whole trip. We never had dinner there at the restaurant – on the go too much. The view from the tables up front is awesome!

The Napili Kai beach is wonderful. While we were there though, there were HUGE waves coming in and they had rip tide and jelly fish warnings so we weren’t able to swim or snorkel (this was the same up and down the Maui coast). By the fourth day, things had calmed down. Unfortunately they were still rough enough to take my husband’s new wedding band. If someone finds it, please let me know! haha. It was great being able to get fresh towels and the beach chairs when you want. Oh and every night when the sun was setting they blew a conch shell and the tiki torches were lit. Very cool.

We only had one problem with loud kids. Our last night, there was a baby next door to us who was screaming all night. And since there is no AC and the rooms are all open, we could hear her. That was kind of a bummer. But it didn’t ruin the stay that’s for sure.

Other things we loved: the beach path, the landscaping, the cleaning crew, pineapple and juice everyday at 10am, the shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel (you can buy these in the cute gift shop BTW), being in a quiet area, the parking (plenty), proximity to Lahaina and other POI, and the pool (great view) and Hankipanki whirlpool. Oh and the cleaning crew helped a lot when we just needed some cokes. They told us where their pop machine was!

Maui was a dream and Napili Kai added to that dream. Now we just have to plan our return trip!! Mahalo for reading :)

• Liked — View, restaurant, lanai, landscaping, quite, old Hawaiian style
  • Disliked — All open so you can hear crying kids
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank becksb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Napili Kai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!