“Attention to details adds up”

Napili Kai Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
South Lake Tahoe, California
“Attention to details adds up”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Nice big lanais for every room, friendly helpful staff, some unexpected activities (especially nice when the weather doesn't pan out) like hula lessons and lei making, huge sandy beach plus lots of small pools and loads of BBQ grills, well stocked kitchens with ovens (in the studios and suites), nice decor and loads of drawers and hangers and a closet big enough to house the suitcases keeping the living space clutter free, quiet and relaxed and beautifully kept grounds, plus really really close to the Kapalua beach walk and nature preserve and public beach. Only thing keeping me from giving this an excellent rating is the slow and sometimes unreliable wifi connection.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room to be found at this resort and though we've tried all t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joanne G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed here for the last week of our 3 week, multi destination U.S. trip, and found it to be a beautiful, peaceful end to our holiday. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the recently renovated sea facing studio rooms and it had everything you could need for a week in a tropical paradise. I chose Napili as I wanted to avoid the high rise hotels on the beach that are sadly far too common in Hawaii. It feels like Napili has the same building rules as Koh Samui (no building taller than a palm tree), and I loved the rustic ambience that this created. When you're in Hawaii the scenery should be the sea, the greenery and the mountains, not concrete. Almost all the staff we liaised with were friendly and helpful. Just the one exception of the woman at the towel/scuba hire kiosk, who had a habit of rolling her eyes whenever she had to deal with a customer, more than once too. The laid back feeling of the whole resort, and the well thought out layout was so conducive to relaxing that we spent most of our week just chilling by the beach, pool, and jacuzzi. It's also a great bonus to have a coffee machine (for that famous Kona Coffee) and a blender for evening (or afternoon) cocktails on your private lanai. The on site restaurant has a great selection of happy hour pupus (Hawaiian tapas) and cocktails. Definitely try the poke nachos and kalua pork tacos, and their lava flow (cocktail) was the best we tried on the island. If you want peace, tranquility and beautiful scenery this is your place in Maui. If you want more of a party atmosphere though you may want to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try and get a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Spongebob1000
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Upon arriving at Napili Kai we walked into the tranquil, open breeze lobby and were warmly greeted with a "Aloha, welcome home" by the front desk staff. Instantly, we were taken by the view of the beach cove paradise a short walk at the base of the hotel. We were provided an ocean view studio with equipped with a comfortable king bed and updated kitchen. Although our room didn't have air conditioning, we didn't need it. We slept with the lanai door open with the screen shut. This enabled us to listen to the waves rolling up the beach and occasional rain fall. In the morning native birds sang as we sipped our coffee on the lanai. It was wonderful.

The resort also has an excellent restaurant/bar with tasty drink menu and generous happy hour. We also appreciated the available snorkel gear and small ice chest for our trips to the beach. Housekeeping was also professional and non-intrusive.

The location of this resort is also great. It is on the North end of Napili close to neighboring Kapalua. There were a handful of nearby coffee hops and restaurants, as well as a nice grocery store. One of the best features are the walking trails to the North shore and Southern shoreline.

The "bad" thing (if you can call it bad) was most everyone staying at or near the resort was over the age of sixty. Not bad, if you are over sixty, but for us in our thirties, we felt noticeable out of place. It may also have been the time of year since we went in January while many older people flock to warmer climates. Nonetheless, we would still visit this resort in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ktcampqueen
oxfordshire
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed in the one bedroom apartment style room, which has a separate bedroom with a king bed and en suite, main bathroom, kitchenette, main room containing a king size bed, sofa table etc and balcony. We had an ocean view room which has probably one of the best views we will ever have in our life over the bay. One morning we watched whales from our balcony.

The restaurant at Napili Kai - the Sea House Restaurant is top class and people come from other resorts to eat here. The food is very competitively priced for the quality of food and they make you feel like they create every dish especially for you. I have to eat gluten free as I have coeliacs disease and have never had so much choice on the menu!! They have a separate gluten free menu and to be able to have pancakes for breakfast on holiday was a revelation!! The restaurant has true sea front dining and we were lucky enough to be able to watch whales and even a turtle while eating breakfast.

I would really recommend having a hire car if you holiday here as there are so many lovely little beaches to explore and visit nearby. There is plenty of parking at the hotel although it can get busy at night times.

All the staff were friendly and the service from Hazel at the reception desk was exceptional, she is very sweet.

I would definitely recommend a visit to this hotel. It is the best hotel we personally have ever stayed in.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank HolidayHappy6
Seattle
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

First you must want to stay in this exclusive area (steps from the Ritz Carlton on Kapalua, on the West coast of Maui). Then you must like a perfect bay with snorkeling reefs easy to access, and the central sand bar for turtles. The accommodation is very good and you can self-cater with the use of a little kitchen and full-size fridge. We also ate at the in-house restaurant, the Sea House. Good fisherman's stew and prime rib. You can have a great time at this resort, and if you want an outing, Lahaina is maybe a 20 minute drive away.

• Stayed January 2014
North Carolina
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at a fantastic property first honoua Kai, dynamite. Then went to Napili Kai. What a let down. Property has tried to be updated but leaves so much to be done also. No ac in most rooms and yes thy will give you a fan, but if you have any breathing issues it doesn't work. Pool is very outdated. View is the only thing going for this property, along with the restaurant, which was wonderful. Bathroom is the size of a postage stamp. As someone else stated earlier, it is a glorified Motel 6. If you want to wash clothes, you are restricted to what time you can do it, as it doesn't open until 8am and closes at 8pm. We could of figure out how this resort can charge so much for the rates and get away with it, we'll, it is owner owned and they have had people (same) come over and over again. We were there over Thanksgiving, then after that the property emptied out. I agree with another review, this property wants to Nicole and dime you for all kinds of things. They say no resort fee, but for what a few cooler to use. I would rather pay a resort fee and have something very nice. Oh, we never got any dishwashing soap, and at honoua Kai it was provided. Good luck Napili Kai, but we probably won't return as we many other choices and come to Maui almost every year for a month, so your loss.

Room Tip: Get a different property
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank shirleync
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I had made a reservation for March 2014 and after scouring their website I couldn't tell if the rooms had a/c. As I have some respiratory issues I require it when I sleep. I called the front desk and asked if the room had a/c. The answer I received was "Not all of them". Period. Silence. Ok....well I have a room booked and need to know if it has a/c. After a few minutes back and forth we determined that my room didn't. It is a standard ocean view hotel room. I travel a great deal at some of the best hotels so I am accustomed to the front desk employees to be inquisitive and accommodating, neither of which this particular one was.

So i was next transferred to reservations and in the midst of telling my story, she interrupted, "Last name". Really??? When I explained my needs I was told I would need to upgrade my room for another $75 per night. Or... I could have a room that didn't have the kitchen described. These two employees truly turned me off to the resort, enough so to cancel the reservation. If this is how they tend to their potential guests I can only image how they treat them once they're there. There are too many other equally wonderful properties on the beautiful island of Maui, that one should only have the most positive of customer care. INHO :-)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends