“Great place! Be prepared and you'll have fun!”

Napili Kai Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Toronto, Canada
“Great place! Be prepared and you'll have fun!”
Reviewed 15 October 2008

PRO:

- beautiful landscaping
- secluded area
- quiet, get away from the usually rowdy crowds at hotels
- think Cuba type resorts, but not all inclusive
- Napili Bay is good for snorkling, and generally nice
- not Grand Waliea style, so great for relaxing
- friendly staff, and warm surroundings (unlike larger multilevel hotels)
- kitchenette, fully stocked utensils, etc... More on that later
- putting greens
- gas grills, CLEAN!
- whirlpool open late

CONS:

- not Grand Waliea style, so don't expect spic-and-span cleanliness
- far away from Hana, though if you book Alec the Jungle Guy, it makes up

for it
- ghost ants. More on that later
- kitchenette, fully stocked utensils, etc... More on that later
- no AC in rooms... but it's usually good with the ceiling fans

NOTES:

So you see some double ups in the sections, I'll address those shortly. First again, this is a great place to relax. No need to rush for poolside chairs, etc like bigger places.

This really is a nice resort.

Ok. Ghost ants. I read about them in the last few reviews and it's true. I came prepared though. I bought a box (four-pack) of ant traps for $4 and brought them along. There is a Walmart in Maui so no biggie if forgotten.

The rooms was very nice. Oceanview, room #82.

The FIRST thing I did was scour for bedbugs... there were none. Great.

Next, I looked for the ghost ants. Having only seen pictures on the net, I had no idea they were so tiny! Anyway, they were on the round table where they put the nice fresh plant. They were on the kitchen counter, and the odd one on the fridge and coffee maker. This turned me off from prepping any food for using the grills outside. Too bad. I would have so used the grills...

There were NO ants on the vanity area where you would put your toothbrushes etc. That's great.

Ok. Here I have to say, my wife is not squeamish about the ants. I showed her and she just shrugged them off as nothing. She doesn't like spiders though. Anyway. Even for me, if they were normal sized ants, I would have immediately vacated the room. These are just little... ghosts.

First thing I did then is unpack the traps. Put one on the kitchenette area countertop. One on the round table, then I put a fresh FLOWER on top of it. This is key. The ants will go over the trap to the flower, and some will go in the trap. Works great. Next, move the plant they give you someplace else... like outside.

Finally, place traps from the space between the wall and the dresser leg, so if they go near the legs up the dresser, they make a stop at the "ant hotel".

First two days, they were busy. After that, There was only the odd few left.

Key thing. Keep all food in the fridge, or zipped up on the dresser. Do not leave anything on the floor you don't want to take home with you. Though I don't see it as a problem, I don't need tropical bugs hiding in the bags and such if I leave them on the floor. This is a key to going anyplace anyway, so this is no different.

Ok with that out of the way, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. As long as you are prepared, nothing is a big deal. If you come in to this fresh, then I can see you'd be surprised that this is no Ritz-Carlton :) Rustic, scenic, nice. Thing of a cottage.

The bay is beautiful. They really keep the grounds clean and upkept. Family loved it that I can wave to them as they watch on the webcam from the Napili Kai website. By the way, the webcam quality is terrible, don't let that dissuade you.

Expedia Local Expert on-site. Used them a few times.

The resident cat(s) are pretty nice to play with too.

• Liked — RIGHT beside the bay! No need to walk to any other beach (though you'll do that anyway)
  • Disliked — Ghost ants.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JayFromToronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Laguna Beach, CA
Reviewed 25 September 2008

We ended our Hawaiian vacation on Maui and chose the Napili Kai Resort on a friend's recommendation.

The Good: The location is amazing. Napili Bay is paradise and the low rise buildings were a welcome relief after Waikiki and driving past Kaanapali. The grounds are also great and the hotel is generally very quiet. Our room was out in what they call Puna so it was even quieter.

The restaurant was also really good although the service was a little "relaxed" at times, but my impatience could be my California sense of rush about everything.

The Bad: There isn't much bad, but parts of the resort looked a little tired and in need of a face lift.

Overall we were really pleased and plan to come back with the kids next summer.

• Liked — Setting on Napili Bay
  • Disliked — Older decor
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jeremy_S_1973
Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 September 2008

I have been to Maui several times and have stayed next door to the Napii Kai and always wanted to try this hotel. I will list the pros and cons. We stayed 6 nights the beginning of August.

Pros
1. The beach is beautiful and great for kids.
2. Kapula bay next door is also a great beach. Great for snorkeling.
3. When staying here the best rooms to book are the beachfront rooms for access directly to the beach on the bottom floor
4. Laundry facilities in each resort building unit. There is no wait (free soap but need quarters). You can easily wash clothes at night.
5. Mai Tai party (great mai tai's and even soda for kids and wine for those who do not want mai tai's. Great way to meet guest
6. Minature golf
7. Grills. They are placed around the resort and never a wait. There is one next to where the mai tai party is and is just beautiful at night to have dinner sitting outside above the bay.
If renting a hotel room bring utensils for the grill.
8. The Sea House Restaurant - we enjoyed this restaurant for breakfast and dinner one night. The view is beautiful. I wish there were more choices when arriving late for something light since the snack bar is limited. We arrived around 3:30 and after unpacking went to get something to eat. We did not want a full dinner but there were not many choices except for salad.
9. Coolers are free to use at the snack stand along with snorkel masks (but should be told since I didn't know until I saw them)
10. Small store around the corner if no car
11. The refrigerator is a good size
12. The size of the bathroom is large is great for a family.
13. Very safe environment for children
14. Large closet space
15. Kids Hawaiian show
16. Internet access at the front desk lobby (I forget the cost. I think $2.00 for 5 minutes)

Cons
1. The free coffee in the rooms and in the lobby is terrible.
2. For some reasons this area of Maui gets a lot of bugs. Swarms of bugs in the air during certain times was a bit annoying. I got a spider bite the first day and my leg swelled up.
3. The kids program is not run that well. We stayed here first on our trip and then moved to Kaanapali to be able to utilize the program but we could not get in 2 of days there because they only accept 8 children. When my son did get in, it was for pool games. The pool games were throw a ball in the pool and let the few kids in there use it. The counselor did not get the kids involved to play with each other. Very weak kids program.
4. Not clear on where they are hosting daily activities. I asked at the snack stand but they didn't seem to know. Unless you read the book in your room you will not find the lei making activity, etc. They should post these activities around the resort.
5. The main pool is too cold. We found one pool that was okay up by the Mai Tai function area.
6. If your room is on the second floor you have to carry your luggage up the stairs
7. Snorkel equipment masks are free but there are no fins. There should also be umbrellas for rent. Maybe they could recommend going to snorkel bob's around the corner and renting the package of two chairs/umbrella and cooler for $30.00
8. The gym is okay but a little small and hot
9. While there are candles in the bathroom for the balcony, there are no lights so you tend to not use the balcony at night.

I would definitely recommend booking the ocean beach rooms. I think this may have added more enjoyment to the vacation. You can actually sit out on your balcony at night. We stayed in the garden unit hotel room. I think one of the main reasons to stay here would be the beach or snorkeling at Kapula Bay. We had a car but I found myself getting a little bored by the fourth day. Especially when there was a tropical storm with blowing winds and we could not sit out one day on the beach. We enjoyed our stay but I think some improvements for the price could be made.
Possibly some children's games would be a nice addition. Also coffee and danish in the early morning before 7:00 from the Sea Horse for the early risers.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The bugs
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
7 Thank reviewtohelp
california
Reviewed 28 August 2008

This hotel is magic. It has a certain Hawaiian feeling that I've been searching for over the years. Just lay in my room next to the ocean in the Puna building, listening to the waves, big fan overhead, smell of flowers and vanilla. Wandered down to the beach, a little snorkelling, a little boogieboarding with my kids, simple and perfect.
The beach is usually calm, the walk there is pretty, even the parking lot is pretty. The turtles are pretty. This is not a corporate place, it's a labor of love stuck in a time warp. There's a communal jigsaw puzzle in the lobby. I found it charming, but I can see that if you want perfection of a certain kind you won't be happy. There was a cockroach in the kitchen that I squished and shoved under the doormat, and one night we did see a rat the size of a poodle scurry away on our walk home. And I guess the food is not great, this weird attempt at fusion cuisine, but I even liked the weird food. Hawaii is not known for its food, anyway. I liked to go into town (3 minute drive) to the local cafe for their pineapple upside down cake.
This is the hotel that I returned to after I cut short my stay at the Grand Wailea. I missed it! Still do...

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — sheets
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank malibugypsy
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 25 August 2008

This is our third time here. This time, instead of a studio, we booked a 1 bedroom (2 full baths) ocean front room in the Puna II bldg. Most of the buildings have had their rooms updated. This is not one of them and it really needs it. The shower heads are the cheapest ever so we bought 2 hand held showers at K-mart and a pliers. My husband installed them in 5 minutes. We will take them home with us. You need the hand held shower to get all the sand off. The counters and cupboards are old as are the appliances. Many rooms have had all this upgraded. The other thing that we hate are the ghost ants. These are teeny-tiny ants that are everywhere. All things edible must be kept in the fridge. The ants even got in my tictac box in my purse! They also got into my husband's electric shaver head! He ended up keeping that in the fridge too. We love staying here because it is so beautiful and the beach is perfect. The bay is calm for kids too. We're just very tires of the ghost ants.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Room needs upgrading and ants need to be gone.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank bakerqueen
phoenix
Reviewed 28 July 2008

When I arrived at the Napili Kai, I was not overwhelmed with the beauty of the property, like I have at places like Grand Wailea or Hyatt in Kauai. I just reminded myself we did book a condo to save some money on meals to keep in kitchen and maybe use the b-que grill for dinner. (with a family of 5, meals in Maui can cost a small fortune). That didn't work out so good.

The food we bought and kept in the kitchen area, had bugs in it that came from our room. We opened the cabinets and there were small (ants?) everywhere. Frustrated, we went down to the SeaHouse Restaurant on beach for dinner. My iced tea has some kind of weird slime in it, they took it away and apologized. Found a couple bugs in basket of rolls, and the food wasn't very good.
Did I mention the bathroom had mildew on ceiling of shower. I just wanted to quickly shower and get out quickly, not a good feeling when you are paying $500 a night. On top of that we paid an extra $400 to guarantee a room with A/C. That's crazy! I heard some rooms are upgraded, but ours #204 in the Puna building was not!!

Then we get up the next morning, go to the patio door thinking we are having a major storm, and notice a sprinkler must have broke and is spraying all over our patio door and lanai. Stinks especially when you have towels and swim wear out to dry, that is now soaked. I spoke with manager, and he let us out of last 2 nights there and we were able to get a room at the Hyatt, much better by the way.

When we thought that bad experience was over, the next day, we find out our bank account is empty. Napili Kai decided to take out almost $3000. for no apparent reason. When I called to find out why, they weren't sure why, but couldn't get the manager until the end of the week. I demanded to speak to someone as to why they took out any money from our account because our room for the 2 nights was pre paid several months in advance, and only came to $470 a night not $3000. They gave us the run around, until we took a drive over there, and my husband, spoke with the manager, that supposively was gone until Friday. They did refund us the $2900, but are still curious why??? If you are staying in this area, I do recommend Kapalua Bay. It is beautiful and not very crowded. The guys snorkeled and had luck while we played on our boogie boards. If you want a nice place, we recommend the Hyatt on Kaanapali, we paid $450 a night, and our last 2 nights in Maui, we splurged at the Grand Wailea, but worth every penny, gorgeous and the kids had a blast at the pools.

• Liked — Kapalua Bay next door
  • Disliked — cleanliness, restaurant, bugs, broken sprinkler, money taken from bank account??
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
9 Thank dreaminparadise
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 July 2008

A serious kudos to the onsite spa. I went there twice for massages and couldn't have been more relaxed.

We stayed in an oceanview studio. The shoji screens added a lovely Asian feel to the room. The kitchen is pristine. If you can't find what you need, just call the front desk. There's also a laundry room onsite which came in handy.

The Napili Bay is very calm making it one of the safest beaches in Maui for children. The snorkeling is pretty good as long as you're willing to swim out a bit. We even found a pair of honu (green sea turtle) which was exciting. NOTE: Don't hover above them when you see them resting on the ocean floor. They might think that you're a predator and not come up for air and drown. Touching is also a big no-no.

Leave nothing but footprints. Take nothing but pictures. Kill nothing but time.

• Liked — The restaurant and the beach
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple