“We'll be back!”

Napili Kai Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 11 April 2007

While I agree that this resort is rather expensive, I felt it was a great value. When we go on vacations, we tend to relax and not do many (or any) excursions. We enjoyed many of the things Napili Kai had to offer. I loved that everything other than food was included -snorkel equip, putters, parking, hula lessons, manager's cocktail hour,etc. We also did the Monday night putting party for adults where
they serve $0.50 cocktails - we met lots of nice people and continued
to see them throughout our stay. I have stayed at many hotels lately where I felt nickle and dimed (resort fees, parking,etc) so it was very refreshing to have everything included. Most of the people staying while we were there were repeat guests and I can see why!

My family of four stayed here a week beginning the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We had a 1 bedroom ocean front suite in the Puna Point building. We had amazing views of the sunset - we had a 2nd floor room that was practically sitting on top of the water. This is the furthest building from the beach/restaurant but the walk to the beach
was along the bay on a lava rock path and we didn't mind it.(If you have children 3 or under, this is not a good walk for you). I also liked that the buildings in all of Napili Bay-not just Napili Kai- are all low rise (looked like 3 or 4 stories)- it just enhanced the low key feeling of the place for me.

The room itself was nothing fancy - but it was clean and I loved having a second bathroom, not to mention the extra space that comes with having a bedroom and a living room. They were renovating some of the units in the Lani Building while we were there - they looked nice - new appliances and granite countertops,etc. Our kitchen was equipped with everything we needed. We swam in the pool at our building most days and only saw one other person the whole time - this is likely due to the fact that the week we were there is one of the lowest occupancy periods of the year. The pools aren't anything like a resort pool - no water slides, etc. they're basically like a pool you'd find at a condo.

The beach was great and having chairs there for guests to use was nice. I never felt like I had to run to the beach in the morning to reserve a spot. I liked the proximity of the beach to the bar and the snack shack. My children's (ages 6,5) thought the best part was the putting green and we played every day. We also went to the hula show that the foundation does once a week. Was enjoyable and our kids
loved it but don't go expecting a Broadway show. They invited the kids on stage to hula also which was fun for them.

The staff were great. The daily talks they gave on the Hawaiian culture were very informative. It seemed that most of the staff have worked there a very long time which says alot.

We had a great time at the Napili Kai and will be back!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
8  Thank lovehotels_10

Reviewed 7 April 2007

Heaven, Perfect, Would never stay any place else!!!
Not cheap but worth every cent. There is so much to tell I don't know where to start. You have the feeling of being on a private beach, The resturaunt is one of the best on the island and only a few feet away from the beach so very convienant for coctails while sunning. The bay is one of the best for snorkling, I did that everyday. The resort itself is perfect, roomy and clean. The entire staff is helpful and friendly. The boutique on the property is fun and has great gifts. The surrounding area is wonderful, close to all shopping. I will only stay here in the future and would not hesitate going there alone. The most relaxing, perfect vacation I have ever been on.
Buy the book "Maui Revealed", it gives you insight to local sites that you wont find anywhere on the island. My friends were glad I had it we learned so much about the island and like I said saw sites that were not advertised anywhere.
Aloha

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kristina10T
Reviewed 1 April 2007

Returned from Maui the last week of February. Stayed a week with my son (8) and husband. Direct flight from LAX, United, @ approx. $2800 for the three of us (air, hotel, rental).

Hotel grounds very beautiful. Beach awesome. Oceanview studio, very cozy, spacious no complaints at all. We ate breakfast at the hotel once. Food absolutely delicious, but way overpriced for the portions. The plan was to shop for groceries and prepare our own meals, but we soon realized it would be cheaper to just eat out, after browsing the lanes at the grocery store. A carton of OJ was 6 bucks! The weather was nice. About 80 degrees, with sporadic showers and gusts of wind. The week we were there, the crowd was mostly 50+ (it seemed) and families. If you're looking for a slow paced, quiet type of environment, Napili Kai is it.

FYI: I have more pics to show of the room, but they are very large files and I do not feel like shrinking them. If you want to see them, I'll be happy to email them to you.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank Crazysexycool
Reviewed 14 January 2007

We recently returned from our stay a Napili Kai Beach Resort.
We stayed from 12.2606 - 1.4.07. The weather was not bad. We had some rain. The temperature reached 84 degrees during some days.

Our room was adequate and the view enjoyable. The price is expensive but Maui is expensive -- especially the time of year that we are able to go.

The resort is supposed to loan snorkel equipment but refused the day my daughter wished to go into the bay. She had to go elsewhere to rent snorkel gear. It was implied that the water was murky so there could be the "s" word. Did not hear this from any other place though.

The drinks ordered from the bar were not too exciting. Don't drink margaritas in Hawaii! Ordered a blended margarits and it was handed to me already separated. The bartender did not know how to run the blender to blend the drink.

The main problem we had was with our booking agency, The Visitor Center. I would never use them again. Whatever could go wrong did. It was difficult communicating and many errors were made. We were talked into one booking with multiple families. Don't ever do this!!! Big mistake and no accountability will ever be taken by The Visitor Center. The other people we were traveling with happen to call the airlines to see where we would be sitting. The Visitor Center never bothered to reserve seats for us. We then thought we should do further checking and called Napili Kai Beach Resort ourselves. They had us staying with the wrong people. They had my husband staying with the other person's husband and the other wife staying with me. We were able to resolve this error after we arrived.

Unfortunately, we had to cancel one person due to an injury. My mom is 84 years old and fell. But the time of year we made the reservations, The Visitor Center makes no changes AT ALL. We, fortunately, took out cancelation insurance with Travelguard. We are still waiting for reimbursement from Travelguard because they have to wait for confirmation from The Visitor Center. It has probably been three months since the cancellation process for my mother started. Again, it is all being held up by The Visitor Center. The person we originally booked with is no longer there. He was the one who pushed for us to have one booking. In retrospect, I don't know how I could have been so foolish. If you make one change (when changes are even allowed), the penalty is $100 per person. Another reason it does not make any sense at all to do a multiple booking. If you wished to upgrade a car, the cost would be $100 person. So if you made a group reservation for 7 people, wham!!! $700.00. I made several calls to The Visitor Center while in Maui. The response that I got from them was to write a letter - so here's your letter. I have sent many an email! Outside of the problems we had with the Visitor Center, you just cannot help but love Hawaii.

We snorkeled in Napili Kai Bay and saw great sea life - right there! We saw turtles and many different small fish.

We had some great dives with Lahaina Divers. We dived the back side of Molokini (my favorite), we also dived Cathedral II, and other sites. Lahaina Divers' did a great job - good people.

For the price, $300 a day, I expected a little more. We had an ocean view studio. House keeping does not touch the kitchen, which is no big deal, but just think you should probably get a little more for the price and what you get.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with friends
9  Thank maybelle22
Reviewed 7 January 2007

We just returned from a wonderful holiday stay at Napili Kai Beach Resort. It had been about 7 years since our last time there, but we were happy to find it as lovely and accommodating as always. This. little gem on Maui, located on a beautiful beach in the quietest corner of Maui's many tourist areas, offers clean and nicely equipped condos, great service, several pools and a good restaurant and bar. Conveniently, next door and within walking distance is Kapalua Bay, which is a favorite of snorkelers. Napili Kai is a perfect family vacation spot, relaxed but with quality amenities and excellent aloha.

Stayed: January 2006
15  Thank voyager61
Reviewed 27 December 2006

Wonderful quiet place to relax and be spoiled. Great location, Sea House is perfect for meals, putting greens are challenging for a few betts, overall a fun place to stay. Fantastic hot tub open late, only draw back is cool pools.

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Rochne
Reviewed 11 November 2006

We began our honeymoon in Waikiki at the Outrigger on the Beach, then risked our lives getting to Maui because of 2 days of non-stop driving rain.

We had requested a beachfront studio thinking it was a stand alone building right on the beach. When we checked in, we asked if the beach front studio was the best room they had. They said, "No, our ocean view rooms are our best but we are completely booked up right now" So on we went to unit #19.

We found our building, and it resembled more of a motel. There was a long walkway open to the air that was carpeted. Not sure why you would put carpet outside in such a tropical environment. Entering our unit we were overpowered by mold. Now, this could be more noticeable because of the 2 days of rain that we had just gone through, but I think it was more because of the air conditioning in the room. You could see the mold growing around the vents.

The room in general was very clean, looks like the kitchen and bathroom had been upgraded.

First thing the next morning we called our travel agent to see if we could switch hotels. Using the mold as our main argument, the people at Napili Kai were able to upgrade us to the Puna Point building.

Puna Point was a totally different world. We were on the second floor and it was an ocean view room. It was like we were at a totally different resort. Turns out the units in Puna Point are actually owned, so the hotel will rent out their own units before they put overflow there. (Our last two nights there we killed 5 cockroaches and released a gecko we had captured in the bedroom - but no mold!)

We spent most of our beach time at Kapalua Bay, which was closer to our unit than Napili Kai's beach. We found much better snorkeling there where they had 2 resident sea turtles swimming in the bay.

Be sure to do your research before you go, and plan to book events before you even get there. Most of the best snorkel cruises are booked a week in advance as well as some of the best Luaus.

We rented snorkel equipment and boogie boards from Snorkel Bobs when we first got there. Try to pick up some of those free magazines before you head there to get coupons. And if you book other things through snorkel bobs (like luaus) you can get equipment for free.

**Be aware: Pay attention to the weather patterns on the days before you go to Maui. If it has rained heavily before you've gotten there you might want to stay out of the water - pesticides from the plantations run into the bay. Watch to see if any locals are going into the water before you jump in.

We skipped the Crater trip but did the road to Hana. we also took the road north from Napili (I think it was highway 30) The road gets very narrow in spots but has amazing views and was less travelled than the road to Hana.

Oh, and we walked past unit 19 when we were leaving and it seemed to be getting a "terminal clean" so it might be in a better state now than it was...

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
20  Thank lizard1370
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Napili Kai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!