I booked this property for our stay in July 2014 and was very excited based on the reviews and pictures on the website. Overall, the ocean view was beautiful and Baby Beach isn't as busy as some other areas, so crowds in front of our unit weren't an issue. We stayed in unit 201, which was generally quiet - our downstairs neighbors were a bit noisy when on their lanai, but this is an issue you could face anywhere.
The unit itself is somewhat dated - older appliances, 90's-style wallpaper, stains on the bedspread, etc. Not horrible, but definitely not the upscale feel that the glammed-up photos on the website would seem to indicate.
As noted in other reviews, the kitchen is stocked with utensils, plates and pots, but that's it - no basic necessities you need for cooking. No salt, pepper, cooking spray, almuminum foil, etc. I have stayed in many other rental condos and this is the first time I've experienced anything like this. For the price you pay, I don't expect to have to bring my own salt and pepper - only to have to leave it behind at check-out.
While the location is great for beach access, there are some pretty sketchy neighborhoods on either side of these condos. Access to the actual condos is gated, so we were fine once inside, but not so much when walking in the surrounding area. There are no streetlights or sidewalks on the walk to the shops and restaurants in Lanania and we ran into a few - er - interesting characters one night, and we were chased by a pack of 6-7 dogs (no kidding) while walking back from a luau another night. Needless to say, we only traveled by car when heading out following those two incidents - so just be careful if you do want to venture out on foot.
I wondered why the website didn't show any pictures of the fitness center - but got my answer when I saw that this was no more than 3 ancient cardio machines and a weight bench in the manager's office, which can only be accessed during business hours. Oh well - at least I got my exercise running away from the dogs.
Finally, the supplies were anything but upscale. The condo was stocked with the cheapest, scratchiest toilet paper and tissue available, towels were so old and worn they felt like sandpaper, the shampoo, soap and lotion were all institution-grade, laundry detergent wasn't re-stocked during our stay, etc. Again, just not at all what I'd expect at these prices.
In short, go for the beach location but know that this is all your $800/night is getting you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The expansive two bedroom and two bedroom/loft air-conditioned oceanfront townhomes range from 1,700 to 2,100 square feet in size. As you enter the elegant etched glass doorway, you will find that no two townhomes are alike. Each has its own distinct personality, with professionally selected furnishings, decorated with rich wood accents and works of local artisans, creating an elegant, relaxed but refined island atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Puunoa Beach Estates reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Puunoa Beach Estates Hotel Lahaina
- Puunoa Beach Estates Maui/Lahaina