“Great Location, But A Few Disappointments”

Puunoa Beach Estates
Bartlett, IL
“Great Location, But A Few Disappointments”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked this property for our stay in July 2014 and was very excited based on the reviews and pictures on the website. Overall, the ocean view was beautiful and Baby Beach isn't as busy as some other areas, so crowds in front of our unit weren't an issue. We stayed in unit 201, which was generally quiet - our downstairs neighbors were a bit noisy when on their lanai, but this is an issue you could face anywhere.

The unit itself is somewhat dated - older appliances, 90's-style wallpaper, stains on the bedspread, etc. Not horrible, but definitely not the upscale feel that the glammed-up photos on the website would seem to indicate.

As noted in other reviews, the kitchen is stocked with utensils, plates and pots, but that's it - no basic necessities you need for cooking. No salt, pepper, cooking spray, almuminum foil, etc. I have stayed in many other rental condos and this is the first time I've experienced anything like this. For the price you pay, I don't expect to have to bring my own salt and pepper - only to have to leave it behind at check-out.

While the location is great for beach access, there are some pretty sketchy neighborhoods on either side of these condos. Access to the actual condos is gated, so we were fine once inside, but not so much when walking in the surrounding area. There are no streetlights or sidewalks on the walk to the shops and restaurants in Lanania and we ran into a few - er - interesting characters one night, and we were chased by a pack of 6-7 dogs (no kidding) while walking back from a luau another night. Needless to say, we only traveled by car when heading out following those two incidents - so just be careful if you do want to venture out on foot.

I wondered why the website didn't show any pictures of the fitness center - but got my answer when I saw that this was no more than 3 ancient cardio machines and a weight bench in the manager's office, which can only be accessed during business hours. Oh well - at least I got my exercise running away from the dogs.

Finally, the supplies were anything but upscale. The condo was stocked with the cheapest, scratchiest toilet paper and tissue available, towels were so old and worn they felt like sandpaper, the shampoo, soap and lotion were all institution-grade, laundry detergent wasn't re-stocked during our stay, etc. Again, just not at all what I'd expect at these prices.

In short, go for the beach location but know that this is all your $800/night is getting you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank KW_IL_9

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Clyde, Ohio
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We can't wait to return to #204, the 2 bedroom Premier with Loft on the 2nd floor. You'll be instantly mesmerized by the absolutely stunning and spectacular view of the deep blue Pacific with the Island of Lanai in the distance. The accommodations are spacious, upscale and luxurious. Being on the upper level provides unparalleled privacy, with an expansive panorama of ocean, coconut trees and sandy shore of gentle Baby Beach. The Hawaiian sunsets are unforgettable! In fact, my wife and son enjoyed the cool, soft breezes and slept on the lanai at night on the comfortable bed lounger. The estate is gated and secure and just a short stroll away from Lahaina , the charming former whaling town and capital of Hawaii. Shopping, art galleries, ocean front restaurants and bars, water activities and historic sites await. By the way, be sure not to miss the morning sunrise at the summit of Haleakala! The experience will be well worth the early start. We wish that we could have stayed longer, but our itinerary called us on to the Big Island and Oahu. So, we definitely plan to return to Puunoa Beach Estates in the near future. For a perfect Maui stay, we hope that you can do the same!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Faona67
Mount Maunganui
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed for six nights in August with our son and daughter in law. What a fantastic spot, right on the beach and within 10 minutes walk from downtown Lahaina. 203 was beautifully furnished and came with all the amenities you could think of, or would even need if staying for months. It was spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable. The on site managers were very helpful, 20 seconds to the pool or jacuzzi, 20 seconds to the beach, 20 seconds to the exercise room, 20 seconds to the video library. Very secure complex and safe beach. What more can we say other than "We'll be back"

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Colonel3
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Please oh please don't stay at Puunoa Beach Estates! Ok I'm kidding. My family has been staying for 7 years now and we love it. I'm just afraid that if folks catch on that I won't be able to get a reservation.

This is an exclusive 10 unit complex. Each unit is exquisite. I have my favorite, but I'm not telling. You are steps from Baby Beach in Lahaina Maui what could be better? Well having a work out room, a private pool and a personal concierge don't hurt either. There are so many benefits to this place I can't even list them here, but I'll name a couple more.

Paula the manager (concierge) and her husband along with Tony (your friendly Canadian) weekend office manager are terrific. I love it when I get treated like family and these folks are like family. Then there is the 2 block walk to historic downtown Lahaina. Restaurants and art galleries galore are within walking distance of these units. Add to these luxuries free secure parking, free internet, daily maid service and newspaper at your door and your vacation is set.

Like I say...don't stay here. ;-)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sum1smom
South Pasadena, California, United States
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This was our 2nd time at unit #205 in 6 months and it was as great as it was the first time. It's whale watching season now and the views from the condo's lanai were spectacular. Went out on the whale watching boats 2x from the Lahaina Harbor, just minutes from the condo and thoroughly enjoyed the trips, but just as fantastic were the breaches, tails and spouts we saw from the lanai. We went with another couple and the condo was very spacious for the 4 of us. We have recommended this condo to friends and family as it is the perfect place for families with little ones (Baby Beach just right outside), for adults only (spacious and private - top upper corner location) and/or for a combination of different ages as the location is perfect...close to most of West Maui's attractions and right on a pristine, shallow beach. With only 10 total units and only half occupied it was very private and quiet. Paradise!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SusanB933
Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

These condos are incredible. We have stayed all over Maui and have finally found the perfect place to stay. Don't waste your time staying anywhere else. Perfect location. My only complaint is #205 has no extra stocked amenities like foil, baggies or any kitchen condiments or spices. So when cooking anything you have to buy everything and leave it behind.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank sro406
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

After 12 hours flight from London to LA, and another 6 hours from LA to Maui the arrival at apartment 105 was seamless and very easy. Paula, the manager, made check in easy and quick and she's super friendly and helpful. We're only 2 days into our 12 day stay and it's already worth every penny.

A word of caution, when booking I was offered places by Internet sites that seemed legitimate but after a lot of checking they were scams. Before you part with money phone the apartment if you can.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family