“Perfect Spot on Maui”

Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I really don't think the location can be improved upon by even 1 inch.

I've been to Maui roughly 20 times in my life for work and pleasure. I have stayed at the Whaler on 6 of those occasions. This is the only property I have stayed at more than once.

Sometimes I really enjoy the luxury, and the really upper class treatment that you get expect and do get at other properties on Maui. When I go to Maui, I really just want to relax. I want to be casual, wear my swimsuit around, with a T-shirt. I don't want to be worried about being dressed up to resort wear standards of a collared shirt, and shorts to feel appropriate for the surroundings. Hawaii is laid back, and at the Whaler, it is still very nice, but I get to really feel laid back, and enjoy Hawaii for what it is.

Each time I have been to the Whaler, I have stayed for 2 weeks. I love waking up in the morning with wonderful views of Black Rock, and the Ocean. The smell of the Plumeria flowers, the ocean breeze, and the gorgeous Maui weather.

Again with the location, it's in a spot that generally gets better weather than many other parts of the Island, it's in the best spot on Kaanapali Beach, you can easily walk to the Sheraton or the Hyatt and see more, next to the shopping at the Whaler's Village. Great Golf discount at the Kaanapali courses, and a short drive to the best boogie boarding on Maui at Fleming. The snorkeling at Black Rock is one of the top 3 or 4 spots on the Island and is free if you have your own gear, or did an expensive rental for your whole trip. You can easily pick up food at the grocery, cook in the Condo, or use some really nice Community BBQ grills. Don't forget Tuesday Night at Leilani's has a great deal on their Ono Fish Taco's and some of the best desert with Kimo's Hula Pie, and it's a 1 minute walk from the Whaler.

I like this place so much, I just rented out the same unit for 2014, and 2015. Room 760 or any of them at location on floor 3 or higher (with the view, and layout) I think would give you a perfect 1 Bedroom 2 Bath luxury condo experience with great views.

I love this place, and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I would avoid ground floor, just to improve your view, but once you get up to floor 3 or higher you...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mspreh
There are newer reviews for Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed at the Whaler for a few nights on Maui and it was lovely. It is a great spot to relax and the little shopping complex was very handy. The rooms are spacious and very clean and the kitchen facilities were very good. A minor hiccup as we booked for 3 but our fisrt room only had one bed. After a little discussion we were then upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite and it was fantastic! It had all the bits and pieces you need. We really enjoyed staying here. Only problem is most of the activites are closer to the airport which is about 40 minutes drive away. But for general relaxing it is a lovely spot. Pool is nice but we didnt use it we relaxed on the beach everday under the dual cabanas you can hire. Staff were ok and on our trip we came across better service in other hotels we stayed in.

Room Tip: relaxing spot to do very little. nice apts. all views are good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank aussieale
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is ideal with the whaler right next door and you can get a bus for $2 to Lahaina. We only had 3 nights and no car so this was perfect for us. Its a great hotel with no catches ie. All the pool chair uses are free etc. I would have no hesitation on going back to this hotel. Great gem!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spanna82
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Luxury! We enjoyed 9 days in sunny, beautiful Maui for the Maui Invitational Mens Basketball Tournament. This condo had everything you could ask for...but if you needed something more, all you had to do was ask, i.e., coffee grinder! Desk staff leaves something to be desired, but we had only 6 interactions with them. When I needed change for a newspaper or had to ask a question, I ALWAYS had to ring the bell and wait. Staff was ALWAYS in the back and came out after about 20 or more seconds. If I was an owner of one of these units, I'd want this fixed. None of the desk staff was friendly nor did any of us see them smile. Why? It's a great place; just avoid the desk staff.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms before deciding which one to stay in; each is uniquely decorated.
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I have been to Maui many times, We would normally stay in Kihei. But decided to try Kaanapali as we would drive to Lahaina almost every night for dinner. I am writing this on my last of ten nights here. Upon arrival, my wife and I decided that the unit we were assigned just wasn't quite right for us. It was actually quite nice, just not quite right. We spoke to the front desk and were allowed to preview several other units that were available for a upgrade fee. We were happy to pay the fee for the different unit we chose. However it was only available for 6 of the 10 nights of our stay. Fortunately they had an equally lovely unit available for immediate occupancy early in the morning of our 7th day. The transition to the different room was seamless in execution and we didn't miss a beat. We simply moved from the 6th floor to the 10th floor. Both 1 bedroom 2 bath units were beautiful. Did I mention that the staff were very friendly and accommodating of our situation when we found our first room....Not quite right. This in a great Condotel. A very residential feel. Not a hundred posers around the pool. Just nice people . I will stay here again as they made our 20th anniversary stay very enjoyable. With a smile and generous use of their time, the staff here made our stay "Just right." If I had one suggestion, it would be to accommodate people who smoke. I myself am not a smoker, but it was quite obvious that many people who do, were perplexed by the draconian smoking rules. A few designated smoking areas ( off the beach) would make many guests feel more welcome.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tim T
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This hotel was a great choice. I went to Maui with my mother in November and we had some specific needs for our hotel choice ( lots of space/full kitchen/good location). The Whaler met all of them. This property has a very homey feel to it seeing as how it's also a condo and many call it home.

Its location is wonderful. Only about a half hour drive from the airport and right in the middle of "resort row" I like to call it. You are right beside Whalers village which is perfect for picking up little things you might need and some great food choices. There's excellent, higher end shopping and free shows at the mall pretty much every night. You're also right in the middle of a beach walk that'll take you all the way up Kaanapali beach.

The property itself is lovely, beautifully maintained and clean. The two towers are very well kept and quick elevators I might add.

We had room 419, a one bedroom suite with a FANTASTIC view of both the courtyard and the beach. It has a huge balcony with a lounger and multiple tables/chairs. The suite itself was very clean and well furnished. We loved having a full kitchen so we could prepare some of our own meals and save a little money.

Staff was very friendly although there was a concern. On two different occasions returning to the room and discovering my key didn't work, I headed for the front desk. Both employees (whom I had never interacted with before) just handed over a key without asking for ID or any information besides my room number. I work in a hotel and we have safety procedures around issuing new keys. I found it a little concerning that someone could potentially gain access to my room simply by asking for a key. It's a small thing but something that did bother me a little.

Lastly, it was great to have a little beach hut on the property where you can get beach umbrellas/loungers/chairs etc.. I was a little disappointed at how much it was just to rent a piece of equipment for a couple hours.

Overall though, great trip! Friendly staff, beautiful property and fantastic location! Would definitely return.

Room Tip: rooms facing courtyard are a little quieter.
3  Thank Krista D
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We were in a two bedroom suite on the ground floor. The kids had a lot more space to play in the morning, with 5 lanais that all connect and lead out to a big grass area. Every morning at 8:30am, the kids got to participate in the Koi feeding right outside our unit. We were also right next door to Whalers Village shopping center, which was very convenient. We were also very walking distance to Black Rock, where I took the kids snorkeling every day. Our unit was perfect. It was "fully loaded" with all the comforts of home, including washer/dryer in the unit, and a full kitchen. We will definitely stay there again.

1  Thank Jeffreyvision