“This is the place to stay in Maui!”

Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Maui was the 2nd island in our 3 island vacation, so I booked this property so we could do laundry and have a larger place to stay. I was totally amazed at how good our room and our view was. Our friends were celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary and I wanted this to be special for them. It was special and great for all of us! We had a fabulous view and we right on the beach and right next to the Whaler shopping area. It's great for couples, families or anyone who wants a spacious room with fabulous views. We found some nice restaurants close by and brought food back to the room and ate on the terrace.

Room Tip: Of course in Hawaii you want a room with a view. We booked the partical-ocean view category and were...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

This was a no frills type hotel. Staff was was very nice. The room was very clean and had a great view. If you want just basic room and good location then this was it. Parking was a bit of a pain. If your out past 8pm your forced to park in over flow which is a little bit of a walk but if stocking your fridge it can be a pain. The underground parking is kinda grungy but your not staying at the Ritz. Overall was a nice place but im still looking for that place that gives you more than you expected. Ill be looking next for a different place.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Greg b
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Aloha Maui Again,

Thank you for your comments about our nice staff, clean room and great view. I hope you find the perfect place for your needs. Should you ever need help, please let me know as I too am a connoisseur of fine places to stay.

Mahalo, Hal

1-866-321-2799

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Being newly weds we were very excited to be on our honeymoon and after staying here we are ever so pleased that this was our honeymoon accommodation.

The Whaler was next door to many shops, boutiques, restaurants and of course an ABC shop ;-)

The room was spacious, with a well equipped kitchen and had all the expected hotel toiletries including washing powder. The balcony view was not the best as we were overlooking the shops next door, but we did get a small glimpse of the beach from here.

The sunsets on Ka'anapali beach were always amazing and mother nature never failed with putting on a beautiful show at sunset. The pool area was clean and the towel service for the pool was organised and simple to use.

The service at the Whaler was exceptional and the staff were more than accommodating. I was injured on a day tour and the hotel staff were very helpful in advising us on local doctors, how to get there and lent me the hotel's crutches for the remainder of my stay.

Hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would happy to stay here again if we ever return to Maui.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Belinda T

Aloha Newlyweds,

My staff and I are so thankful to read your review and to have celebrated your special time together. We would love to see you back for your anniversary next year.

A Hui Hou ~ until we meet again

Hal

1-866-321-2799

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife, son(15) and I just returned from a lengthy stay at the Aston at the Whaler. For those that do not wish to read the entire review, the Whaler is in a perfect location right in the hustle and bustle of Kaanapali Beach. With the full size kitchen, the ability to save money is available if desired. The room, landscaping, pool and beach were all very nice and well maintained. The staff were very cordial and accommodating. So overall, I would recommend this condominium as it caters to families, couples and even solo travelers!

Like my title states, location is by far it's biggest asset! Being located right next to Whaler's Village gives you walking access to shops, restaurants, groceries and even activities!

Our condo (616) was a studio apartment with a king size bed, sleep sofa and was equipped with a full size kitchen. Our lanai faced the garden so we had views of the ocean to our left and the golf course and mountains to our right. There were gorgeous views whichever way we looked! The room was decorated nicely though needed updating, but was always very clean. The maid service did an excellent job of keeping our room clean and organized. Cleanliness is huge with us! With the full kitchen we were able to save some money and make breakfast and lunch most days. Dinner was our night out and we splurged accordingly. Groceries can be purchased at Safeway in Lahaina, about a 10 minute drive from the Whaler. Make sure you get the Safeway Club card because it will save you big $$$!

The grounds, landscaping, beach, pool and ocean were all very nice. Not exceptional, but very nice. In the last few years our family vacationed at many All Inclusive Resorts. With that said, we were accustomed to having everything included, even beach chairs and loungers. That was not the case here at the Whaler because there was a daily fee to rent said items. That was an issue with us, and I feel is worth mentioning. This might not be an issue for you.

I am an avid fitness enthusiast and exercise even when on vacation. With that said the Whaler has a small gym in the basement of this condominium. It is VERY small so forget about doing any kind of heavy lifting here as the dumbbells only go up to 35 pounds, and weighted plates max out at 25 pounds. But there is enough equipment to do a maintenance workout, and keep your cardio up.

I did my usual research on TripAdvisor for activities/excursions, restaurants etc. so here are some of the things we participated in and/or visited:

Maui Nui Luau (Sheraton Kaanapali Beach) - We tried to go to the Old Lahaiana Luau, but that was booked for an entire month! Crazy! The Nui Luau was nothing spectacular. It was average at best, food and show included. This Luau was picked at the recommendation of the Whaler concierge and it's best asset was an open bar. =)

Ululani's Shaved Ice - Awesome as reviewed on TripAdvisor. The flavors are exceptional and are similar to Matsumoto ice on Oahu. We patronized Ululanis five times during our stay! :)

Skyline Eco Adventures - Very very fun, but YOU WILL GET DIRTY! Even with that said, don't miss this activity. The guides made this trip worthwhile so we highly recommend this company! (separate review pending)

Gazebo Restaurant Napili Shores - One of the best breakfast meals I ever had. If you have the time to wait (30-60 minutes average) make sure you visit! Beautiful views and great food to match! (separate review pending)

Star Noodle - Not too sure about this place. Food was very good, but IMO the price was a tad high for the portions received. This place has a very limited menu, but all food we ordered was cooked perfectly and tasty.

Haleakala National Park - Sunrise, sunrise, sunrise! A 2:30 AM start may not cater to everyone though. LOL!! The views at the summit were stunning at best. Is it worth it? That is up to you, but what made our trip was a stop on the way DOWN the mountain at a resort restaurant called Kula Lodge Restaurant. The food, view and service were all exceptional! Their coconut syrup was by far the best we tasted on Maui!

Kapalua Coastal Trail - This nature trail is only a short 10 minute drive from the Whaler to the Kapalua area. The trail approximately 1.5 miles in length (one way), can start/end at Kapalua Beach Park and is free! We had an overcast day, but it was still a fun walk with the some gorgeous views! I highly recommend this trail if you have an hour or two to spare.

Hana Lava Tube - This was a tough one for me. My son loved this, but I was not as excited. It is basically a cave with carvings from the lava flows. My son loves this kind of stuff so we are glad we went. The entry fee was around $12.00 person, and it takes no more than an hour to go through the entire cave. HINT....it is dark in there! LOL 8)~

Road to Hana - Let me say this. They can tell you how long the road is and that it has a lot of turns, but you will not know what you are getting yourself into UNTIL you drive the ENTIRE road to HANA and BACK! We made the mistake of stopping at to many places and it took us over 3 hours just to get around mile marker 45 on the OTHER side of Hana. We decided to turn back at that point as the day was getting long and tedious. The roads are narrow and at times have sharp 90 degree turns. Some portions of the roadway barely have enough room for one vehicle. You will see when you get there! LOL :)

From the Whaler it takes about an hour to get to the "beginning" of the road to Hana and you can add time from there. Our day started at about 9:00 AM and we returned to the Whaler around 8:30 PM. The waterfalls and black sand beach were the highlights of our trip and made it worthwhile and memorable!

I apologize for this long review, but since we stayed at the Whaler I wanted to mention all the activities that were available if you stayed here. I should mention that we rented a car for our entire stay and I recommend you do the same. Lahaina is a great area, but you will miss out if you do not explore other areas on the island.

If I had to come back to Maui would I stay at Aston at the Whaler again?? The answer is.......YES!

Aloha and Mahalo!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
39  Thank AKL_HBG

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

We appreciate your detailed review and account of your visit. Just like the location, we are thrilled your room was well cared for and thought of our staff accommodated your needs.

Your note to return to us is appreciated and valued by us all.

Mahalo,
Hal

1-866-321-279

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was our 5th trip to Maui and 2nd stay at The Whaler. This time we went for it and rented unit 1101 oceanside. It was beyond amazing!!! When we pulled in the driveway with all our bags and groceries someone came out and helped us with all our stuff. We were checked in quickly and went right to our room. We rented the condo through Maui Resort Realty and got great service from them.

The unit itself seemed to just float above the ocean. The view was beyond amazing. And the walls were lined with mirrors so no matter where you looked you had an ocean view. The unit itself is immaculate with a brand new kitchen and bathrooms. This was a unique vacation in that we spent more time than usual in the unit because it was so enjoyable to be there.

Before we left my husband said that when we go back to Maui he wants to rent the same exact unit. And I agree.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank chefola
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at the Whaler in May 2014. It was absolutely wonderful !! Perfect location.
We had a gorgeous condo in the Tower away from Whaler Village and not facing the center courtyard.
Our condo was, therefore, very quiet and the balcony was private.
From our balcony we could see a view of the ocean one way and a view of the golf course/mountain the other way !! Cute little birds visited us every morning (after breakfast)
on our balcony !
I believe we were on the 3rd floor. Every condo is decorated individually and ours was very tastefully done and updated.
The grounds are beautiful and we enjoyed feeding the fish in the pond every morning .
The staff was wonderful !
They were so friendly and helpful. They were genuinely happy to have us staying as their guests.
Just by writing this review, makes me want to revisit Maui and stay at the Whaler Condos again !

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank StellaMay2014
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

When deciding on a place to stay on Maui we were unsure about a condo resort... until we checked in at the Whaler. From the moment we arrived, the staff was friendly, knowledgeable and really helpful in booking our excursions. Our room was beautiful and we saved money on breakfast etc. by cooking in the room and grilling on the property. Right next to Whaler's Village, our options were plentiful for dinner and drinks. I shed a few tears saying goodbye to this incredible resort.

Stayed: July 2014