Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
US$466
US$439
US$388
  • Pool
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$308
US$411
US$1,402
US$1,351
  • Beachfront
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$313
US$264
getaroom.com
Aina Nalu(Lahaina)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,223 results
All reviewskaanapali beachblack rockhula grillshopping cartsocean viewtower facingfull kitchenunderground parkingabc storevillage shopping centerpremium roomconstruction noisestudio condopineapplekoi pondthrough vrbobedroom bath
Reviewed 28 November 2010

My hubby and I booked the studio condo at the Whaler through Pleasant Holiday. As soon as we open the door, this studio size was good enough for two of us. There was a kitchen (upgraded), walk-in closet with safe, full bathroom, king size bed and pull out couch bed as well. The balcony was facing at the construction tennis court and next door property; however, it did not bother us too much since we were mostly outside for activity or at the beach for snorkel. The only thing that was missing in the room was the iron table.... but that was ok since we only used the iron once during our 5 night stay at the Whaler.

The staffs were all kind and helpful. We did not use the pool cuz it was always crowded... plus we had rented snorkel gear so we were mostly at the beach. The kitchen had everything we needed so we went to Safeway which is around 6 min away from the property and bought things we needed during the stay.

This property is perfect cuz the water is not rough and close to Sheraton and Westin. plus the Whaler village for shopping and free hula show. (it was very cute)

The parking is $12/day at the Whaler and there is a towel service outside (but u must bring back the towel otherwise you will be charged for $25 per)

We miss Maui (Lahaina) and we would like to go back to the Whaler when opportunity comes in future because we find that this location is close to everything - Old Lahaina Luau, Safeway, the beach etc.

FYI: there is the construction on this property at this time pls another construction at the whaler's village parking lot. (our stay here was during 11/22 thru 11/27). But we were not bothered by this..... pls ppl you are there to have fun outside the property not inside the condo..... Just enjoy the beach and get lots of tan!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank honey00718
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We arrived on November 9, 2010 in Maui and actually went to another property north of this one where we had a reservation. After seeing the room, however, we felt we needed to look elsewhere and were referred to the Whaler.

Annette Guerrara at the front desk greeted us, gathered the information on the problem of finding a room in Maui in a hurry without breaking the bank, and went to consult with other members of the hotel staff; these other staff members were Leilani Steward also of the front desk and Henry Quinsant, Reservations Manager. Between the three of these great people, we were set up in Unit 670 for very little additional money per night. The unit was beautiful, clean and had an awesome view.

During our stay Annette, Leilani, Amelia, and Rod at the front desk were very helpful and always genuinely friendly and enthusiastic. Fred Burgart the bellman was very helpful and courteous as well.

On the last day of our stay we had a late flight out at 10 pm. The staff came through again with a late checkout at 4 pm and our luggage was safely put away by Fred the bellman until we had to head to the airport... very helpful !!

We had a great time at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel prior to coming to the Whaler but we have to say the Whaler really made our 25th Anniversary trip complete and so very special. My wife has wanted to go to Hawaii since she was a little girl and the beautiful accomodations, first class service and breathtaking scenery on Kaanapali Beach and Black Rock made it a dream come true for both of us.

Thanks so much to everybody involved !

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I went on my long awaited one week vacation to Maui hoping to get away from hectic Los Angeles life and challenging work. I booked my “ocean view” room at the Whaler by calling an Aston reservations representative. Based on previous reviews, it appeared that there may be construction projects scheduled for the Whaler. During the booking process, I was reassured by the agent that all construction projects at the Whaler have been completed. Upon my arrival to the Whaler on October 29, 2010, I was immediately greeted with horrible construction noise. At check in, I was given a room in tower one, where most of the construction was going on. The construction noise was unbearable and I kindly asked for a different room. I was then given a room in tower two.

I mentioned the construction noise to, Annette, the front desk representative. I also informed Annette that I was advised by Aston staff at the time of booking that there was no planned construction for the Whaler. Annette explained that the construction noise during renovations two years ago was much worse as compared to the noise now, which was no solace to me.

The room in tower two was dirty and the furniture was dated. The noise from the construction in tower one was still very bothersome. During my first night at the Whaler, I noticed that the toilet was leaking. I advised the front desk staff of the plumbing problem, however, the maintenance man wanted to see an actual puddle before fixing the leak. It took five days for maintenance to fix the toilet leak.

Not once was my room properly cleaned during my stay at the Whaler. My room was plagued with an increasing amount of dust. Housekeeping staff also neglected to change the original tattered blood stained bed sheets.

On day five of my trip, I woke up in the morning to find a lizard crawling on the ceiling of my room situated on the twelfth floor of the structure. I called the front desk and security was kind enough to remove the lizard from my room. The Whaler staff found a lizard crawling in my room to be very amusing. At $200 per night, I do not wish to be sharing my accommodations with reptiles. I am from LA and I do not even do camping.

While walking down the stairs at the Whaler, I noticed numerous dead cockroaches the size of rats and a chemical smell. Based on the previous review of the Whaler, it appears they were fumigating the property for pests at the time of my visit. None of this information was disclosed by Whaler staff. I do not wish to be exposed to chemicals and other carcinogens during my vacation. If I had known about the fumigation, I would have left the Whaler immediately.

The staff at the Whaler expressed no remorse for the condition of their property, the construction noise the reptile infested room or for completely ruining my vacation. Annette appeared especially condescending and unprofessional. My long awaited one week of relaxation on Maui turned out to be a nightmare, due to the Whaler.

The Whaler is situated on a nice stretch of Kaanapali Beach and has nice potential. However, due to current property conditions, construction noise, poor customer service and deceptive practices, I strongly caution other vacationers from staying at the Whaler on Kaanapali Beach!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
9  Thank Meticulous_One
AstonGM, Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2010

Aloha,

We are sorry to read your review of your recent stay at The Whaler on Ka'anapali Beach. The primary work that you experiences was the removal of the planter boxes on the large exterior lanai of our units. The goal was to be a low-profile to our guests, and in the early part of this process we did experience unfortunate inconveniences; thus our quick offer to move to another unit.

You can be assured that we have address each of the points mentioned regarding our housekeeping and maintenance efforts and trust that you will except our apologies for any inconveniences experienced during your stay.

As expressed under separate cover, we hope that you will chose to stay with us again and we look forward to an opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

General Manager, Aston Hotels & Resorts
The Whaler on Ka'anapali Beach

Reviewed 5 November 2010

My Mom and I booked a quick weekend trip out to Maui for some wedding planning. We stayed at the Whaler. We got in late (no valet parking) and no parking at the lots for guests (we had to park in the employee lot which wasn't too far but still). The front desk receptionist was nice and friendly.

When we got to our room with outdated furnishings we realized that the bed was a fold out in the wall. For the two of us we had a couch and a full sized out of wall bed. This was not acceptable as we requested a room with two double beds (booked through a 3rd party website-Orbitz or Expedia). Our room was switched to a first floor that had a king sized bed so at least this was better.

We thought we were staying at a hotel but the Whaler is actually a condo/timeshare/hotel property. In any case, when we were there all the rooms were getting fumigated for pests (no option on this). The pool was a pool you'd find in a run down apartment complex but that didn't stop people from using it. When we called the front desk b/c the coffee machine wasn't working they told us that our unit wasn't ran by them....it was so odd.

The Pros: Delicious pineapple in our room when we arrived. Beach in front of the Whaler is beautiful. We did get a really cheap rate. Right next to a shopping center and all the other main hotels. The "spa" believe it or not was one of the best massages I've ever received.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank kjtraveler2008
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

6/21/14
Aloha guests,

We want to acknowledge every past guest opinion & review.

Please note the date on the review; as outdated reviews may not apply any longer. In 2012, The Whaler completed over $30 million dollars and years of renovation. Our resort is in great shape and looks beautiful not to mention the perfect location.

Further, the use of interior room standards based upon AAA – 3 to 5 diamond guidelines, Aston at The Whaler recently earned a 3 diamond rating. This means the “in-house” rental program for the property maintains a level of consistency with cleanliness, interior quality, and guest service. In 2013, our internal guest satisfaction score was an annual average of 94.2% completely satisfied, and our rating on tripadvisor went from #26 to #8.

We realize that you have a choice in accommodations, and we hope you give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Mahalo nui loa, Hal

Hal Nordblom
Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
Aston Hotels and Resorts
1-866-321-2799

Reviewed 1 November 2010

We have been staying at the Whaler at least once a year since 1995 and can't think of a better place to relax. The condos are large and comfortable and the location is just awesome, with views of both Molokai and Lanai. Although they don't have a grand (over the top) pool like other resorts along Kaanapali Beach, the ocean is the main attraction and the Whaler is in just about the best location of all. It is an easy walk next door to Whaler's Village for shopping and restaurants, and snorkeling at Black Rock is also an easy walk up the beach. We typically rent from a realtor or directly from owners to make it much more affordable and it is much cheaper than the resort hotels in the area. You don't get daily maid service but they always leave plenty of towels and soap, so the daily intrusion isn't missed. We just love the laid back feel at the Whaler and always feel that we've come home when we get there! One caution - they are removing the concrete planter boxes through November 2010, so if you're going over this time, ask if your unit will be one of those affected.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple