“Paradise”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Minneapolis, MN
“Paradise”
Reviewed 1 March 2008

We spent 6 nights at the Westin Maui and found it quite heavenly. The room was a bit on the small side but with very nice amenities (fridge, safe, flat screen TV, comfortable lanai, and very comfortable bed). We were here for a conference and so got a group conference rate. The grounds of this hotel are especially beautiful with five interconnected grotto-style pools, waterfalls, hidden whirlpool, water slides, gorgeous gardens, tropical birds, etc. The location is close to Lahaina as well as to other resorts, restaurants, shopping. (It's right next to the Whaler's Village Shopping Center - a short walk.) The beach here is very nice. (Further up the Kaanapali beach gets quite narrow.)

• Liked — gorgeous grounds in a gorgeous setting
  • Disliked — cramped parking situation
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
7 Thank MinneSurfSider

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,346)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York, NY
Reviewed 28 February 2008

We just returned from a fantastic Honeymoon in Hawaii. We stayed 4 nights in Oahu and 9 nights at this hotel in Maui. The experience was excellent. When I booked with the travel agent, they informed the hotel that we were honeymooners. We got a welcome package that included free buffet breakfast every morning, a box of chocolates, postcards and best of all, a 50 minute couples cabana massage at their heavenly spa. That was wonderful.
In terms of the resort itself, we had an oceanview room in the ocean towers and the view was breathtaking. Each room had a balcony and you could see the beautiful beach, ocean and all of the resort's pools. The other tower, the beach tower would have had a side view of the ocean.
The pools were soo much fun that we felt like little kids. They had waterslides, watersports and poolside bars. They also had 2 jacuzzis that were open until 10 pm. There were a lot of families there with kids but they have an "adults only" pool area that was more quiet and relaxing, but the kids pool was more fun because of the waterslides and waterfalls.
The hotel is in an ideal location, right on Kaanapaali beach. The hotel provides umbrellas and chairs on the beach for $25 but if you want an umbrella, you need to get there by like 9:00 AM. We were there for a while and at the beginning of our stay the hotel was not that full and we were able to get chairs on the beach and the pool. But towards Valentine's day weekend, it got really busy and people would save their pool chairs before they were to eat breakfast, which was annoying but still not that bad. I don't think I really have anything bad to say about the hotel, my experience was great and the restaurant, Tropica was really good and very romantic.
The are also right next to the Whalers Village, maybe a 2 minute walk, at most, where there is great shopping and a few great restaurants. Also, it is only about a 5 - 10 minute drive to Lahania with great shopping and restaurants as well.
Also, in the hotels's other restaurant by the pool, they have live nightly music, but most of the restaurants on the island have that as well.
All in all, it is a great resort with great amenities, beautiful views and nice people. I would definately go back if I can ever afford to go back to Maui.

• Liked — The location and the pools.
  • Disliked — Very high priced!
4 Thank BeachbumNY
London,ON
Reviewed 25 February 2008

Beautiful resort! Spa was amazing. Pools aplenty! Staff very friendly, helpful and professional. Lagoon with flamigos right in the front lobby! It was a spectacular resort and I would recommend to anyone. Very close to shopping. The AMEX booth where you book excursions was very helpful and patient.

The only two complaints are:
1.The restaurant for breakfast is way overpriced ($60 - $70.00) for 2 adults and a child.
2. Complimentary photo included and the photographer was in the lobby. We booked with no problems and the photographer was quite friendly..... until the end. They try to push buying their overpriced packages and when you disagree (only want the complimentary one) he turned on us. He became quite RUDE and refused to speak with us after that.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — The Resort Photographer
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank live4vacati0ns
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed 25 February 2008

The second half of our first Hawaiian vacation ended with a 7 day stay at the Maui Weston. We had just come from the fabulous Moana Surfrider on Oahu after 9 days of bliss. The drive from the airport was so fantastic and when I yelled out after seeing 3 whales jumping out of the water, my husband almost smashed into another car. The hotel was so beautiful as we approached and we were greeted with drinks and lei's. Check in was quick and when I asked why so low a floor, I was told they were full. Our room was spacious, clean. The view from the balcony was maybe a 4 foot swatch of the beach with the parking lot the main view. Not one to make trouble, we slept and woke up to smelly, noisy garbage trucks in the parking lot. We went to the front desk and a lovely Japanese girl at the desk told us she was sorry and would try to get us on a higher floor with a better view. She tapped on her computer for a time and said she would put us on the 7th floor with a pool, beach view. Since I had paid well over 600 a night...This was acceptable. She told us to come back between 3 and 4 for a room change...We went to repack our suitcases in room 325. When we returned from exploring this magnificent island, we were told we had been moved to room 326 from a not so nice male staff member. I was so angry. You moved us across the hall. We packed and unpacked to be moved across the hall. Only room available, I was told. I asked to speak to the Japanese girl and was told she was with a client and was unavailable. I kept telling him, I was promised a hgher level room to no avail. I gave up. When opening room 326, it was dirty with smoke stained mirrors and glass doors. The smell was disgusting. We look over our balcony and guess what, we see a mostly a roof with a little ocean and pool.

Now I am furious so down to the desk again and of course the Japanese girl denies that she promised a higher floor for us so I ask for a manager and after 45 minutes of waiting, I am told both are busy and cannot see us. Totally discouraged, we went to our room changed and went into the magnificent pacific ocean....Upon returning to the room a message was left by the manager, Jeff.

I paged him as he asked. I asked him if he would come to our room. He did and was wonderful. He listened to our story. I was visibly upset since I paid top dollar to be treated so rudely. This was our 40th anniversary and our first time to Hawaii so I spared no expense. He said he would work on it and did agree the room smelled horrible....We don't smoke. Within15 minutes we were told by Jeff that he had a beautiful room for us in fact he had 3 different rooms we could view. HUM.....We are ful is what I was told at first. I told Jeff how grateful I was and we moved into the next new room which was so fabulous. Jeff was the niciest person and I thank him but how could the front desk have treated us so badly when Jeff found a beautiful view room. They kept saying they were full...Well that really wasn't my problem. I booked this trip 6 months ago. I had. joined the Starwood program but I am not sure, I will ever stay at a Westin again. Packed and unpacked 3 times in 7 days. The beach and pools were so wonderful but I can't get the nasty way they tried to cheat us with a lousy room when they had better rooms available.

• Liked — Spa, beach,pools
  • Disliked — The way we were treated by staff at front desk and not honoring rooms promised when booked
7 Thank 60-ish
Greensboro NC
Reviewed 24 February 2008

My wife and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Westin Maui (Feb 16 -22). We stayed in room 678 a Premium Deluxe Ocean View Room in the Beach Tower. This was our second trip to Kaanapali beach and our first stay at the Westin.

Our check in went very smooth. We pulled up in our rental car, and the bellmen just about had the car unloaded before we could even get out of the car. We were greeted with leis and headed to the front desk. Jeff at the desk was very helpful. He quickly provided us with our room keys and a quick overview. Then we went to our room which was exactly what we booked. About 2 minutes later the bellman arrived with our luggage. The wine and flowers I had prearranged with Ally, one of the great concierges, were there as ordered. There were a few minor things such as the lack of robes and bottled water. But a quick call to the front desk and all was taken care of.

Our room was great. I had read reviews the rooms were small, but we had no complaints. I guess if you were trying to squeeze a family of 4 or 5 in, I could see how it might be tough. For 2 it was just perfect. I would suggest 2 adjoining rooms for a family with an extended stay. We could have done with another drawer in the dresser, but other than that it was just right. The bed was very comfortable as advertised (Heavenly Bed). The flat screen TV was nice too. But most of the programming was up-converted 4:3 instead of actual 16:9 HD. No big deal unless your a true tech geek who came to Maui to watch TV. The room was clean. Perhaps not the cleanest hotel room I've been in but certainly not dirty. The view was great. With the hotel provided binoculars we could whale watch right from our balcony. The bathroom was more than adequate and fairly sizable, but it wasn't the most luxurious hotel bathroom we have ever seen. That award might have to go to Bellagio in Vegas.

The pool was nice as well. Some of the best chairs do get taken early in the morning, but you could find a chair somewhere at anytime. The wildlife in the lobby pond/waterfall area were fun to watch as well.

Our booking included vouchers for the buffet breakfast at Ono every morning. The food was pretty good as far as breakfast buffets go. The omelet/egg station was very good. I'm not sure we would have eaten here for $29 if it was not included. If we did we probably would have ordered off the menu. The food/beverage service pool-side was very good. The waitresses were attentive. The food and drinks were a little pricey. But keep in mind you are enjoying them at one of the best pools on Maui while looking at one of the most beautiful ocean views in the world.

I would recommend using the valet if you have a car. It was quite convenient. When you are getting ready to walk out the door for the evening. Simply press the service express button, tell them your claim number, and your car will be there by the time you get to the front door. The $10/day valet fee was well worth it. Somedays they do not charge; if self park is full valet is free.

Check out went just as smoothly as check in. We called down for a bellman and to have the valet bring the car around. The bellman came up in about 10 minutes. When we got down front our car was waiting. The bellman helped us load it up and we were on our way.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Westin. We would definitely consider staying here again if we return to the area. It is a little pricey, but certainly not the most expensive on Kaanapli beach.

• Liked — The convenient and beautiful location.
  • Disliked — The bathroom could have had more storage such as a drawer or some shelves.
6 Thank UNCPharm05
Seabeck, WA
Reviewed 23 February 2008

I had a promotional package and when I booked, I asked for a wheelchair accessible room. I called back twice to confirm, and was told no problem. When we arrived, I was told that there weren't any accessible rooms available and they may move us tomorrow, After waiting around all the next morning, we didn't get to move.

The adult only pool is the only pool that you can swim in at night. There is absolutely no way to get to the adult pool if you are in a wheelchair. Access ramps to other pools are steep and not to code. Water was freezing!

Resort was very noisey. Doors in the hall slammed all night long. We were so tired from the lack of sleep, we cancelled our snorkeling trip. Because we were on the promotional deal, our room was overlooking the parking lot, with the honking horns and car alarms going off all the time. Since this is one of only a couple of hotels with meeting rooms, confrences are going on all the time. Also, all the high school dances were going on at the Westin during our stay.

The rooms a tiny!!! There isn't any room to move around, especially if you are in a wheelchair.

The staff was very frienly and helpful. Ono resturant was nice.

I would not recommend staying here. Especially if you are disabled.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Disabled access
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank mauigirl2002
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 February 2008

Our family (2 teenage sons) just stayed at the Westin Maui over February vacation week.
The hotel is set in the resort of Kaanapali, which is series of high rise hotels on the beach, similiar to Aruba or Miami. The Westin building appears to be about 30 years old, but has been thoroughly redone and very current.

In general, the hotel is on par for Westin, meaning the rooms are quite nice, modern, very clean, and the staff is great and very acomodating. Overall, our experience was way above average bordering on Excellent.

The only minor things we personally did not care for, were the sheer number of people always crowding the pool area, which at times made us feel like we were on a cruise ship. This was our fault, as the hotel does not purport to be a small boutique hotel. In spite of this, the amount of activity was probably perfect for teenagers. The other compaints were that the beach was seperated from the pool area, and that the room layouts were somewhat small (as the building is older), and as we found throughout Hawaii, the food was very expensive.

All in all, we cannot complain. The staff was great, the rooms nice, but if you are looking for a more spreadout, low key hotel, you might be best looking at either another island or a smaller hotel.

• Disliked — Crowded Pool Area
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Travlisforme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#17 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!