“Things to do in Maui”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 8 April 2008

Westin Spa and Resort Ka’anapali April 2008

Positives: (See pics also)
My fiancée and I arrived and were greeted with leis. The open air lobby was amazing with a lagoon/waterfall backdrop. The pond was stocked with coy, black-white swans, flamingos, parrots, and cockatoo. The front desk personnel warmly greeted us and promptly checked us in. She asked what the occasion was for our visit. After replying that we were getting married on the island, she upgraded us to an ocean view room at no charge. View was amazing…sunset, Lanai, whales, beach, pool area. The staff everywhere was extremely friendly and helpful. Poolside bartenders poured nice cocktails. Their wedding staff actually helped us with the planning of our wedding even though we didn’t go through them!

The room itself was really nice. Heavenly Bed and Shower was next best thing to being at home. Never turned on the Plasma tv that was hanging on the wall. Free wireless internet provided a strong signal for my IPhone even poolside. The many pools and water falls provided a sanctuary to bask in the sweet Hawaiian sun. Beachfront was among the best we found on the Island for laying out and swimming. If you are into snorkeling, be sure to explore this area (esp. towards Black Rock, turtles and many fish). Even though we were towards the end of whale season, we saw whales just off shore many times during our 8 day stay. After exploring the Ka’anapali strip, we both felt that the Westin was the best place on it.

Resort fee of $20 a day includes self parking, two bottles of spring water a day, access to gym, plus more. Seeing that bottled water and parking costs are incurred in most places on the island, this fee wasn’t too bad. We only ate at the hotel one time. This was breakfast at Tropica, and though it was one of the best cups of coffee and omelets I’ve had, don’t think it was worth $40. (Buffet was $25pp, and may have been more worth it).

Overall, I was very pleased with this resort and would recommend to anyone…kids or no kids, newlyweds, older couples, singles.

Negatives:
These negatives are just an FYI. They have not affected our plans to stay there in the future.

Everyone reserves pool chairs even though there are signs saying you cannot, and staff will take your stuff and store it if it is left for more than 30 minutes. My advice is to reserve early and don’t leave for a long time if you plan on staying poolside for the day.

Our cleaning lady was annoying. Being 6 hrs different from Detroit time, we went to bed fairly early (by 11) and woke up extremely early (usually by 5am at latest). So, our days started pretty early. The cleaning lady hit our room at the end of the afternoon, when we would be coming back from our day and wanted to get ready for the eve. She wouldn’t switch our cleaning to earlier, and we actually just asked her not to clean a couple days so we could use the room. All she cared about was cleaning our room, and not whether we were happy. The last day, after checking out just before noon, I made multiple trips carrying luggage to our Jeep. After my first trip down, I returned to my room to find the door propped wide open by the cleaning lady (who was in the next room) and my luggage unsecured in plain view. I closed the door for this next trip down and she again propped it open. Made me feel like I was no longer a guest there, and wasn’t important. This was reflected in my hotel survey.

Self-Parking is part of your daily resort fee. Parking lot is right next to hotel, which is good. Bad thing is, the hotel sells spots to outside parkers during the day, which causes the lot to be full to hotel guests. This happened numerous times daily. Hotels fix for this was free valet, which I would have gotten my car faster if I self parked.

There are 7 pools at this hotel. One is designated as an adult pool. This was never enforced, and it made it difficult if you wanted to get a good afternoon nap in the sun with the numerous kids running thru the area. The thought was nice though.
April 2008 MAUI VACATION SYNOPSIS

Thursday
Arrival at OGG airport. Car rental desk (where we rented a Jeep) was close and very quick. (Get your car rental out of the way while everyone else is waiting for the bags to come. You will have keys in hand before your bags hit the carousel. Drive to Ka’anapali wasn’t bad. Checked into the Westin (see above) www.westinmaui.com/index.htm

We had dinner in Lahaina at the Lahaina Fish Company. Food was good, view was exceptional. Drinks were very weak and not worth half the price the cost. We watched the sunset on the seawall of Front St in front of Hard Rock Café (where I proposed). If you want a view of the sunset, unimpeded from the island of Lanai, you need to travel to Ka’anapali or north of that.

Friday
We went shopping at Foodland for non-perishable grocries for the week. This was a relax day, poolside at the Westin. If you want to reserve a set of chairs and umbrella ($25/day), go to the towel desk at 8am when they open. Poolside and beach were great. Had dinner in Lahaina at Moose McGillacutty’s. Good place for pub style food.

Saturday
Woke up at 330am and drove to Haleakala Crater. www.haleakala.national-park.com Trip took us 1.5 hrs from Ka’anapali. Sunrise was at 617am…Amazing! Totally worth the winding road that seemed forever. We went right to the summit and then stopped at viewpoints on the way down. We would have like to come earlier to see the area in pitch darkness so we could have seen the stars (light began to show around 0500). There a few telescopes just west of the summit at Science City (closed to public). The drive down was better than up because we were able to see our surroundings. It was amazing to see the change from “Mars” at the Crater, to forest, then to beach. Oh, and on that note, the change from 38degrees and 30mph winds to 80degrees (dress warm).

On the way down we stopped at Kula Lodge to have breakfast. www.kulalodge.com/restaurant_lodge.htm The food was exceptional. I had corned beef hash, potatoes and toast (homemade jams with Hawaiian fruit) and my Fiancée had the banana’s foster pancakes (WOW!). A must stop on the way down. We were glad we didn’t do the bike ride down cause we were on our own schedule and were able to stop and eat there.

At night went to the Old Lahaina Luau. www.oldlahainaluau.com/index_main.html Food was very good, same as all Luaus. I feel that all Luaus are too commercialized and only went so my Fiancée could experience one. Don’t think that this particular one was worth paying more for. See vendors in downtown Lahaina for super discounted rates on Luaus.

Sunday
Breakfast at Westin Tropica. Expensive, go for the buffet, more choices for the price.Relax day by the pool. Got married at Kapalua Bay. It was so nice. Beautiful area with Lanai, Molokai, and the sunset as the backdrop. Had our wedding dinner at I’o in Lahaina. Food was really worth it.

Monday
Lanai Wild Dolphin Snorkeling tour with the Pacific Whale Foundation. www.pacificwhale.org/ The staff was very knowledgeable, biology college students. A very Eco Friendly tour with Biocompostible cups and reef safe sunblock (30)…they provided. We saw many whales breach the water on the way to and from Lanai. Saw about 50 Spinner Dolphins. I have been to Mexico, Virgin Islands, South Carib, Bahamas, Grand Cayman, the Big Island Hawaii, and Jamaica snorkeling. The two reef spots they chose fell at the bottom of my list of places I have been. Hardly any fish or turtles. I suggest taking a trip to Molokini to snorkel and a separate trip if you want to see the dolphins and whales. (NOTE: there are many great snorkel places from Kapalua all the way down to Makena that are easy to access and free if you do your research). We ordered room service after the long day in the sun.

Tuesday
Drove North from Ka’anapali on Hywy 30, 36, 38, and 340. Not a popular trip, but it was relatively short (compared to Hana) and definitely worth the view. Feel of coastal California hywy. We stopped in a village about half way and bought some Banana Bread and Coconut from a nice lady that sells the stuff from her house. Her house is the first sign when traveling from the West. Short drive down her driveway, she welcomed us happily and even allowed us to view the ocean from her back yard (her idea).

From there we headed towards Wailuku. Had lunch at a place called Main Street Bistro. The food was outstanding!!! Just down the road from the entrance to the Iao Valley. Park and parking is free. Valley was surrounded by huge walls of green vegetation. Two streams met at the park and provide great photo ops. If you walk up to the Needle Lookout point, take the trail behind it up. This hike is for those in somewhat good shape. It takes you up so you can see the backside of the needle, where you can actually see waterfalls that you couldn’t see from the lookout point. Be careful though, most of the trail is cut cliff side, and though there is vegetation next to the trail, it is a long way down if you fell!

After all that, there was still time to chill by the pool (trip took from 7am-2pm). We had dinner at Front Street Bar and Grille. Ribs were top notch.

Wednesday
Road to Hana at 7am. If you have two people, have one drive there and one drive back. There is no error for driving mistakes while driving the twists and turns of the road. Getting the Road to Hana CD was worth it (we got it thru the Expedia Travel Expert office in Lahaina (on the Honoapalini Hywy). They had great deals on tours. See Lisa, she was so helpful! (Tell her the Fireman from Michigan sent ya).

After exploring Hana, we stopped at a home selling BBQ roadside (just after Hana, on the left, on the way to Hamoa. Honestly some of the best food we ate on Maui. We both had the Mahi Mahi with fresh veggies and rice, and were stuffed after. This guy works for Hana Fire Dept too.

It is quite the ride to the Seven Pools and Waterfalls, but worth it. NOTE: Travel to the Crater and Pools within 3 days of each other and you can use the same park pass.

We ate dinner for my Wife’s Birthday at Pacific O’. Food was great, view was great, service not so good.

Thursday
Last day, 1040pm flight. Westin couldn’t allow us to checkout late, but did offer their hospitality room for 30 minutes so we could shower and change before leaving. So, we spent the last day by the pool and snorkeling along the beaches of Ka’anapali. After packing up, we went to Mama’s fish House (www.mamasfishhouse.com) for dinner before our flight. We arrived an hour early and couldn’t get seated early (definitely make reservations). They did seat us at exactly our reservation time though. I was very impressed with their style of waiting for a table. The ocean front property was perfect, the décor and atmosphere amazing, and the food was the best we had all week and definitely worth the price. I had the Pua Me Hua Hana – In the style of Old Hawaii – Ono and Opah sautéed in coconut milk, with slow-cooked Kalua pig, grilled banana, Molokai sweet potato, Island fruit and a fresh coconut and my Wife had the Mahimahi caught by Jeff Holland along the north shore of Maui – Stuffed with lobster, crab, Maui onion and baked in a macadamia nut crust. Dessert was Banana Macadamia Nut Crisp served warm with Tahitian vanilla ice cream and also a cup of Kona Coffee ice cream. A perfect way to end a perfect week in paradise!!!!

18  Thank willnlauren
There are newer reviews for The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Reviewed 7 April 2008

Just returned from an 8 day stay at the Westin and we loved it. This was our second stay and the reason it was bettter was the room we had this time. We were in a Premium Ocean View in the Beach Tower, room 782. The first time we stayed in the same tower but were overlooking Whalers Village which was very noisy. The View from 782 was fantastic with the pool area and ocean right there. We could also see whales right from our room. The hotel is great for families and my son loved the pools.
The hotel is busy but that was okay with us as you just adjust. If the pool was too busy we would just go to the beach and try back later. Early mornings were quiet and evenings were empty. The hotel is expensive but the location is worth it You could stay there for your whole vacation and never have to drive. You have shopping ,snorkelling,.pools, a great beach and restaurants all in walking distance One way to save money is by joining the Starwood program, it is free. We saved on our room and received 35% off our meals by booking through Starwood.
Any question just E-mail me

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank wjsdunning
Reviewed 29 March 2008

We spent two nights at the Westin and were very impressed by the lovely grounds, lobby, and excellent pools with waterfalls and slides. Our 11 & 7 year old children loved playing in the pools one entire day. However, the rooms were only average at best. While the beds and furniture were nice the carpet was pretty nasty and the bathroom a bit dated. Although we didn't spend much time in the room, I expected it to be nicer considering the expensive rates. We had breakfast and luch at the hotel and the food was above average but pricey--even for Maui. This is a very busy hotel and a nice choice for families with younger children who like the whole mega-resort type of stay. For our family five nights at a smaller more tranquil hotel where we were out each day exploring wonderful Maui coupled with two nights at the large Westin resort was the best of both worlds. I would reccomend the Westin for families just based on the pools and activities but would suggest something more intimate for families without children or honeymooners.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Estrella H
Reviewed 24 March 2008

This resort is great for a family vacation, however I would look elsewhere if I were going on a honeymoon or wanting a peaceful quiet stay. Our two sons (12 & 7) were thrilled with the resort's many pools and water slides, not to mention the direct beach access. There are many activities for the kids, and it seems there is always something to do. The resort pools are incredible, and the numerous water falls around the resort grounds add to the ambiance.

We did have one complaint. The noise created by the Whaler's Village just north of the resort was very intrusive and annoying. Our balcony overlooked the Village and between delivery trucks beeping, people yelling and the restaurants banging dumpsters late at night, we were forced to keep our slider doors closed for a peaceful sleep. If at all possible, avoid any room with a balcony on the north side of the resort and you will have a great stay!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank jasncheryl
Reviewed 18 March 2008

We spent two nights here for part of our honeymoon, and we could not wait to leave. The best part of the trip was the room upgrade; we were also given a bottle of champagne. The rooms are clean and nicely furnished. The hotel has an elaborate pool area that makes it very popular for families, so don't expect a romantic experience. If you like walking the beach in Waikiki, with hotels jammed up against each other and people everywhere, then you may like the beach in Ka'anapali. We drove past the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua, and the area was much more secluded. We also spent two nights in quiet Hana, and cannot wait to return. So it all depends on the kind of trip you are looking for.

Stayed: March 2008
4  Thank LCC79
Reviewed 18 March 2008

The Westin was beyond my expectations!

First of all, when we arrived, the bellmen were quick and very helpful getting our luggage and parking our rental jeep. As we walked into the lobby, we were greeted with the friendly aloha spirit and a fresh flower lei. Check in was super fast and easy! Actually it was a great start to our stay there, we were given a free gift (Box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts, Mmm!).

Our room was breathtaking! Looked very luxurious and classy! The kitchen area had a mini fridge with freezer, cupboard space, coffee maker (With free Kona coffee that gets replenished everyday). Same deal with the bottled water. There was also an ice machine on our floor, and each room (I beleive) has a little ice bucket.

Beds were really cushy, the blankets were divine! They dont call them, "Heavenly Beds" for nothing! There must have been atleast 3 different covers on.. very convienient for everyone because you can chose your own comfort and take off some, or sleep with all them on top (Although it did get hot in the night) we usually ended up sleeping with just one. The TV was HUGE! There was free internet hook up for our laptop. Lots of desk area to put our luggage on. The lanai was awesome, we used it quite a bit during our stay. We had an ocean view, and overlooked the pools, so it was nice to sit and have lunch outside on the deck. Beware not to lock yourself out there though! We heard some yells from our neighbors who had done just that Haha, funny for us, not for them!

I must mention the bathroom... AMAZING! The showerhead was also huge and felt soooo good! Like a massage! Theres even a cupboard with ironing board in the bathroom too.

In the room, is a large closet, with 2 robes inside for you to wear during your stay. Nice touch.

There are a couple stores in the lobby, one is like an ABC but more expensive. The other has clothing + misc. items. The Westin is located next to Whalers Village, where you can find an ABC store.. worth it to just walk over and stock up on food items and drinks.

The pools at The Westin are by far the nicest! The water was a tad bit chilly, but you get used to it after a minute or two. The adult only pool was usually only occupied by a couple people, so it was nice to be able to swim around. The hot tub was great! Especially in the rain! It was usually pretty full at night time after dinner. The bar located right by the hot tub makes excellent drinks, I reccomend the Lava Flow! Pricey, but you have to spoil yourself once in a while, you're in Maui! Another thing about the pools.. lots of lounge chairs, but you should find one in the morning because they are full in the afternoon. There is a towel hut for extra towels, and a cute little shop that sells bathing suits and some clothing. Check out the grotto too, located inbetween the waterfalls! Never did go on the waterslide but it looked like lots of fun.

The restaurants had great menus, and while we didnt eat at any, there were lots of people in them, so they must have been delicious. Room service was WAY overpriced.. something like $20 for eggs, and bagel.. not worth it. We drove to the grocery store and got groceries, definetly saved money this way.

Pay phones were in the lobby, always available, and had a nice cushy bench to sit on while using them. We were spoiled while at the Westin, but found that people were a lot friendlier in Oahu. Staff was good here, but nothing to write home about. Also found this to be the case outside the resort, at the malls, gas stations.. people just werent as cheery.. maybe it was the weather? (Rained HARD for most of our stay, caused road closures, and radio advisories to stay indoors).

All in all, a good stay, but I probably wouldnt spend that much money on staying here again. If you have money to burn, Id reccommend the Westin, as it had the most beautiful grounds of all the hotels, nicest pools, and a great location.

Just a couple minute walk down the beach, is Black Rock.. a great place to snorkle. You'll find people diving off the cliffs too, something fun to watch.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank Littleloohu
Reviewed 10 March 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westin Maui in April of 2007 for 1 week. This was our first trip to Maui and we loved everything about it. There were so many things to do and we felt close to everything. We took the Hana Highway which was an all day event, played golf, and did alot of relaxing. The resort was within walking distance of Whaler's Village, which had some really great restaurants. We especially enjoyed The Rusty Harpoon for breakfast each morning. Our room was very clean and had a beautiful ocean view. The bed was truly "heavenly". We were within walking distance of the luau at the Hyatt resort and snorkeling at black rock. The resort was a pricey and so were the food and drinks, but we had expected that when booking the vacation. Everything that we requested at the resort was taken care of immediately. We did the timeshare tour and that is probably the thing that I regretted the most of our trip. It took at least 3 hours and they did not want to accept no for an answer. If your quality time on the beach is important skip this, they did give us some coupons and credit toward our bill, but was probably not worth the time. Overall, a very nice resort and Maui was everything we hoped for and will definitely be going back some day.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WVgirl2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!