“Great Family Vacation at a Super Property!!!”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The last time I was in Maui was for my honeymoon over 13 years ago. At that time we stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua. This time, we came back to Maui with our two girls (8 & 10 yrs old). We wanted a family friendly resort, so we chose the Westin.... WHAT A GREAT CHOICE! On the morning of our first day, I went to see the concierge for assistance with planning our day. I met with Kathy Hamada.... she gave the best service I have ever experienced. Not only was she very attentive to my family's needs, but she took the time to help me plan meals and events for the entire trip. Most of the time a concierge is not very mindful of cost, but she was very good about trying to help us keep to a sensible budget and also experience all there is to do on Maui.
My girls had the time of their lives.... they could not get enough of the pools with the slides and cave. They also loved the calm beach in front of the hotel.
It was so nice to be easy walking distance to shops and restaurants.
My wife is very picky about room quality, but had no complaints with the room we were given... they even gave us a complimentary upgrade to an ocean view.
Also, this hotel has free self parking.... on many nights, we would come back and the lot was full, so they offered complimentary valet parking.

All in all, this was a successful trip and we will be sure to stay here again if we come to Ka'anapali.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Your thoughtful comments and appreciation of our associates is most uplifting, thank you! We are thrilled you enjoyed our extensive offerings and returned home with fond memories of your stay in Maui. We look forward to return with your family. Me ke aloha pumehana (with warmest aloha).

There are newer reviews for The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Was a little nervous about what our room would look like based on other reviews, though everyone we talked to in person had nothing but good things to say. When we got to our room, our "Ocean View" was overlooking the expansive rooftop below us - yes, we could see the ocean, but below us was a football field sized concrete roof. We went down to the front desk and asked Dawn, the woman who initially checked us in, to see if she could move us. She was very polite and helpful. She was able to put us into an Ocean Front room for half our stay and an improved Ocean View room for the rest. It was wonderful! So nice to have voiced our disappointment and have someone been genuinely interested in making the situation - and our experience - better. Thanks Dawn - the Westin is lucky to have you! The amenities were great. As adults without kids, we really appreciated the fact that the property had an "Adult Pool" that was actually fairly big and situated close to, but separate from, the main pool areas. The beach was great. The Bellmen helpful. Can't beat the location. We walked along the footpath every morning and jumped into the beautiful ocean to cool off before starting our day. Would definitely go back - and will!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael G

Mahalo for your kind words and for recognizing our efforts to create unforgettable experiences at every touch point of your stay with us. We appreciate the special recognition extended to Dawn and look forward to creating more delightful experiences upon your return. Malama pono (take care)!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was our first trip to Maui in a full service hotel. Usually we do the condo thing. This hotel was expensive, and with very limited amenities in the room the options to save was very limited. The property is gorgeous and very well taken care of. Our limited contact with the staff proved them to be efficient and friendly. The rooms were very dated and they need to be updated, which the hotel is going through right now. I am a little concerned as to the quality of the update when they are finished due to what we found in our room form the last update. (Wires running across the floor under the very thin carpet. Lamps from the seventies refinished in an attempt to look more modern). I would come back, if I could get a better deal on the room. Oh... Dining is very expensive around the hotel too.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott S
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My family and I stayed at the Westin Maui for one night. I was treating my family to a staycation as we live on Maui. Although I only stayed one night I experienced a number of issues that will forever change my opinion of this hotel.

Rude -
1. My wife and my two girls (5 & 9) went to get towels. We had a total of 9 pool cards which were given to us by the front desk. My girls each like two towels and they were getting towels for me as well. When she presented the towel cards to the attendant the attendant remarked "9 towels...are you staying here...what room are you in...what's your last name." All of these are valid questions which we answered politely even though they were not asked with the same respect. Upon apparently passing the interrogation the attendant then said "I am not giving you 9 towels...no way, we do not have enough" (all this said with a stack of 150 towels directly behind her). So we commented on the very large stack of towels directly behind her and her reply was "those are for the other guests". Upon completion of this conversation the attendant said "I will give you six towels, no more."

2. It was 3:20 and we went to the coffee kiosk, the sign said it closed at 3:30. When we asked if we could get a coffee the employee said "no I am closed" and turned her back and did not turn around until we walked away.

Indifferent -
My family and I were walking on the beach walk in front of the Westin looking at the ocean. Some grounds keepers were mowing and weed eating right along the edge of the beach walk. We waited for sometime and waited to get eye contact with the gentlemen weed eating, he looked directly at us so we starting walking to get past him. He proceeded to start weed eating again not more that 2 feet from us, his weed eater hit a rock that was thrown directly into my daughters leg resulting in her crying etc. None of the three grounds keepers acknowledged what happened or even just said sorry.

Dirty -
When we walked into our room the bathroom was full of dirty water (I imagine from the maids cleaning the room prior to our arrival). There was a bloody band aid on our lanai and used dental floss laying in the middle of the room.

Now I want to make it clear, I do not want to complain but we only stayed for one night for a fun weekend with my family and experienced all these things in a 24 hour time frame. Since we do live on Maui we have many hotel options to do this and you can be sure that the Westin will not be on my list for a recommendation for friends and family or for another staycation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank RNBIM
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Just returned from a 6-day/5-night stay at the Westin Maui where I had a very pleasant stay in an ocean/pool view room with balcony on the 5th floor of the Ocean Tower. The front desk staff was especially welcoming and prompt with check-in/out and the bell staff was friendly and quick with the luggage.

As noted in some of the other reviews I found the furniture to be chipped and a bit worn, the sink and marble countertop were both cracked, wallpaper in the bathroom was bubbled off the wall, and the overhead bathroom vent had painted over rust which showed the hotels age but did not detract overwhelmingly from my stay at the hotel. The Westin heavenly bed was extraordinarily comfortable with luxurious linens.

Found the food served poolside at the adult area was good and nicely presented with typical resort prices ($11-16). Received outstanding service from Keisha, a 14-year Westin veteran poolside server who hustled endlessly to make sure food was delivered hot and beverages cold. I never ate breakfast at the hotel due to the high price ($28) and limited selection.

The hotel grounds and free form pools are immaculate, access to the beach and Kaanapali boardwalk is terrific, and the resort's location adjacent to the shops and restaurants of Whaler's Village is ideal. The resort has a well equipped gym, there are many walking/running routes just outside the door of the hotel, and the resort is located just across the street from two 18-hole golf courses.

Overall the hotel rooms show their age but the beds are wonderfully comfortable, the staff is friendly and accommodating, and the location is great.

Room Tip: Choose ocean/pool view rooms in the Ocean Tower on the 5th floor or higher.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We needed a place to stay our first night on Maui because we added a night on the front part of our stay, so my husband did a name your own price option for a 5 star place. For $200 we got a clean plain very very very small room. The room itself was no nicer than any Comfort Suite we have stayed in. Any way, the grounds are very pretty, with flamingoes and koi in the front lobby area. The location was good, just on the edge of Lahaina, so lots of restaurants nearby. The room itself was impeccably clean I felt like, however there were some little teeny black bugs that were on the outside door frame we noticed when we returned from dinner. I saw one the next morning near the sink. I kinda would have thought we wouldn't see bugs in a 5 star resort, but I guess so. Also, I don't think this place really qualifies for that rating because the room we stayed in was so plain. The hair dryer was very old. Not that I care, it worked, just again felt these should be updated every so often to stay in keeping with their supposed ratings. The most positive thing I can say about our stay for this one night is that the beds truly are heavenly.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank hhclemrn
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Had the May reviews been available in January when I booked (I know impossible) I would have never booked. Ok, the good news first. The grounds are still so lovely, fun to be close to Lahaina, Matt the concierge was the best, and Michelle was the same, buffet breakfast very tasty (had it as a complimentary gift for what comes next). Went to the spa...Daniella was very good. Spa relaxation room has great view, facilities are a bit sparse. Ok, now the other news. So excited to arrive on a Friday at 1 p.m. Long line to check in, but hey we had sat for many hours on the plane. We get our room, deluxe ocean view, and it is right next to the elevator. I run right back down. Another 1/2 hour and no other rooms available. Really???? Ok, view is great, but room is dirty, sink has a crack right down the middle and clock doesn't work. Ok, we can get another, had to clean it and still didn't work. Ok, who needs a clock in Hawaii. But as the hours wore on the dirt and stickiness was creepy. Next morning...we need to move. How about a "kind of ocean view" overlooking Whaler's. Anything. "no, it's not noisy, you are high up, I like that view". Well, it was clean and roomy and noisy and was over a parking lot...where did the beautiful ocean sound go, drowned out by the parking lot and music until late into the night. Ok, whatever. Then I was locked out, security then engineering had to fix that. Ok, deep breath, how about a shower. Out comes rusty water. I almost screamed but was too tired. Ok, the 6000 gallon water tank was being repaired. Just run the water, it will go away. Get me out of here. So we stood in line again and finally got a nice, clean room with a better ocean view. Too many hours standing in line for keys and help. The check in line is really understaffed at certain times of the day. Apparently, when I was in it. I love the grounds, I love the adult pool, I loved the week we picked, I'm sad the rooms have become so raggedy. But I guess there is construction underway. So, if you are not in the room very much and don't care about view or sound, you might be ok. Loved the pool service.

I just hate to rate low when it was just the first part of the trip, but when it is the 4th day before you are unpacking it is kind of sad.

Room Tip: Don't go over Whalers Village (beach tower, odd numbered rooms). Ocean tower best but rooms are...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank soozjr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!