“Westin was OK for adults but great for kids”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 2 June 2008

After staying at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki and the Four Seasons Maui, I was a bit disappointed with The Westin Maui. I didn't expect it to be quite as good but I thought it should have been better than what it was.

The main message I have after staying there: If you have kids, it is GREAT. If you don't have kids, and don't want to be around kids constantly, it is NOT GREAT.

The Westin certainly isn't a quiet place. Even when it was not peak season (I got back a week ago), the resort was still busy. I would definitely not recommend it for couples on a romantic getaway or honeymoon, or older travellers who want a quiet vacation.

The theme of the resort encouraged kids to be there. It was sprawling, there were lots of activities, five interconnecting lagoon pools and water slides, so it was a kid's haven. The resort was also on a lovely stretch of Ka'anapali beach for more swimming and activity.

For adults, if you wanted a place with lots of action and enjoy water parks and the beach, it is a great place to be. The main drawback with the pool though is that you HAVE to be there really early to get a deckchair by the pool. There seemed to be a lot of deckchairs, but they were almost completely filled when we first arrived about 11am. Also, only some of the deckchairs were in the shade which made it even more competitive. They asked people not to reserve chairs (in the room information which probably no one read) however most people would get there really early to reserve them and come back (or one member of the family would mind them). If you wanted to spend a day by the pool, and it was really hot, it wasn't that ideal to lay directly in the sun. I think they should have had more shaded areas.

The other option was to rent an umbrella or a cabana on the beach. We couldn't get anything in the shade so we rented a cabana, which provided a nice view of the water and food service (only pineapple and water was offered free though). However to rent a cabana all day was $55, so it was not for everyone and you generally needed to book ahead.

The Westin had two restaurants and a cafe, which were not high-end but more casual outdoor settings. One good thing about the Westin was its location right next door to the Whaler's Village, which was basically an area with retail shops, restaurants, bars etc. It provided a good alternative to resort dining and suited to families in particular as there was also fast food such as McDonalds, pizza etc.

My only other disappointment with the resort was the customer service. When we checked in, we had to wait for about 5 minutes for the bellhop to take our luggage and when we checked in the guy at reception was less than enthusiastic. We were also allocated a room which reeked of smoke (despite non-smoking laws) and we found out from another guest across the hall that there had been a big party in there the weekend before. I asked reception for a room change which I luckily received.

Anyway, there were advantages and disadvantages of staying at The Westin. The views from nearly all rooms were great, overlooking the resort and the beach. The pool complex in itself looked amazing from above. The Heavenly beds and duvets were also very comfortable. The room itself was of average size and furnished in a fairly standard way, so it was not luxurious if you wanted this.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for families and those people wanting a casual holiday with average standards. But if you wanted a more personalised service and intimate surrounds, it wasn't the ideal place to be.

6  Thank Brooke2
Write a ReviewReviews (5,315)

Reviewed 1 June 2008

Upon arrival we were very pleased with the resort. We got an oceanview room when we were booked with a garden view, so that was a pleasing surprise. Our room overlooked the pool area and we had a lovely view of the ocean - perfect to watch the sunset. The room was great - an average size room with nice decor and plenty of space for clothes and luggage. Our room had one bed, bathroom with tub and shower, sink area, small fridge (even though sometimes it froze our water, sometimes didn't get it cool enough). The resort grounds were quite impressive - many swimming pools, a little "cave" with waterfall entrances, slides, and an adult pool w/ bar area. Just seconds from Kaanapali beach. The restaurants were great - we ate at Tropica, the Ono, and the snack bar. We also utilized the pool service when waiters/waitresses came by. We made visits to other hotels for meals (since they partner with the other Westin and Sheraton we had meal coupons and shuttle service) and I prefer the Westin Resort and Spa. It was the best between the 3 resorts I saw.

1  Thank happytraveler78
Reviewed 22 May 2008

The Westin is a Beauty.
Lots of space and stunning grounds. A lovely pool with waterslides and stunning flowers. The hammocks were great, and they even have real flamingos. They have all kinds of fun activities everyday including fitness classes for an additional $10.
Although the Westin is NOT in Laihaina, it's in a great spot. It's directly on the ocean and really close to the black rock (best spot for snorkeling).
We loved our stay.

Reviewed 21 May 2008

My husband and I booked our stay to celebrate our five year wedding anniversary. The hotel is beautiful. There are several pools, all with great ocean views. The staff at the poolside areas were fantastic. Food at poolside restaurants was very good, and bar service excellent. Probably the most helpful thing at the Westin for us was the use of the "hospitality suite." Our plane didn't leave until 10pm on our last day, so we took a snorkeling trip that day and then came back to the Westin to use the "hospitality suite" to shower and get ready for our flight.
On the downside, our room, which was "upgraded" to ocean view, was really a view of the airconditioning unit(see included pictures). Also, everywhere you turn at the Westin, someone is trying to get you to buy a "Vacation Ownership" aka timeshare. This got old after awhile. The concierge was helpful, but also directed us to the timeshare presentations. The excursions she offered to book for us were more than double the price we paid elsewhere. The other thing we didn't like about the Westin is that you get nickled and dimed for everything. For example, to rent a cabana for the day $60, to use towels $25, to take a yoga class $10, etc. All of this is in addition to the $20 per day "resort fee." In addition the parking is terrible, with folks often double and triple parked in the small lot when we were there. This forces you to valet park, which is another $10. I would prefer to stay somewhere were all of these charges are included in the price of your room. I doubt we will return to this hotel.

6  Thank NCtravel27
Reviewed 21 May 2008

Review for 05/05 through 05/13. I had compared many of the hotels in Ka'anapali for my family's vacation and the Westin was my best guess. It was the right choice. After our 8 night stay, my family doesn't want to go anywhere else for our future vacations. The hotel is the best on the beach for my wife and five year old son who love the beach and water. I can't count how many times we went down the slide or played in the grotto. We went up to the Sheraton which was our second choice and it was very nice but the pool was not near as nice as the Westin's. We also didn't see any kids at the Sheraton which could be a positive if you are looking for a romantic getaway which would be more difficult at the Westin due to the kids. But if you are traveling with kids, the Westin is perfect. We didn't use the Kid's Club but did stop in and it looked to be run very well. The staff was very friendly and my son didn't want to leave after he found the games and toys there. But a quick mention of the pool and he was off like a shot.

The rooms at the Westin are acceptable. We had to change out of the first room due to the wallpaper falling off the wall in the bathroom. It looked like that was more the exception than the rule. The next room was OK even though the cleaning people weren't perfect. I enjoyed reading all the notes the previous tenant had made on the weekly schedule that wasn't changed out and the counter tops were sticky with I don't know what. After that first day though, they picked it up and kept the room very clean. They didn't have the king sized bed we requested but it actually worked out well having two beds which were awesome. My wife usually can't sleep in hotels but these beds put her right out.

The breakfast buffet included in our package was an excellent value. It generally filled us up for the majority of the day with the plentiful fruit selection and omelet station which will cook any style of eggs for you, yes, even an egg white only one if that's your style. If you are going to do the breakfast, ask for a table at Tropica, their beach front restaurant. This was offered to us the first day and we asked for it every time after that since it wasn't offered again. Sitting at Tropica puts you right next to the beach for a beautiful view instead of watching the pool activities. Also, ask for the smoothies in the morning, they usually have a different flavor they offer a small serving of but we had to ask for it several times.

The beach is a wonderful soft gold sand that was just what my wife was looking for. The water was crystal clear and you can even just walk right out into the water and snorkel for a great time. The fish are there, just go before too late in the afternoon when the water starts to get a little warmer and they move out to the deeper areas. We got an umbrella and chairs for several days. It is around $26 for two chairs and an umbrella until 4:00pm. They will only put out 20 umbrellas each day so once these are sold, they are done. You can get your umbrella first thing in the morning and then come back whenever, you paid for it, the staff won't mess with it. I asked about the wooden chair cabana type seats which they sell at the pool towel desk and they run for around $55 a day and have a half day for around $35. These chairs are not on the sand but offer wait service so you don't even have to get up at all during the day. If you are looking for a snorkeling adventure, we did the Gemini tour which was fine. The boat only holds around 45-49 people max and we only had 24 on the boat. It is a nice 4 hour tour with a motor trip up the coast and then we actually sailed back to the hotel. The boat actually loads and unloads right on the beach in front of the Westin. The boat even has windows on the bottom of the hull for viewing when you reach the snorkeling spots. A video of your trip is available for a fee, around $80 and they will spend extra time with you to get enough footage of you to make it feel worthwhile.

The other hotels we had been considering when planning our vacation were down in Wailea. Good thing we didn't go in that direction. We took a quick tour on our way out and there is basically no beach down there. That is the spot during whale season but we were there after the season and the beaches down there are a beautiful lava rock with the crashing waves but not for us because we wanted the beach right at the hotel. Of course, if you want the lush tropical foliage, beautiful golf courses and high end shopping areas, Wailea is for you.

The road to Hana. Well, after hearing that it was the must do, we did it. I will say the drive is beautiful, remember, it's the journey, not the destination. I can't tell you how many times we heard that. That being said, I loved it, of course, I was the driver. After my son ended up throwing up in the back seat from car sickness for the first time, I realized this was a tough one. He has been on some pretty seriously curvy rods without trouble in his almost six years in the back seat but this one did him in. It is a trip that must be prepared for and entered into with open eyes. If you go during a time with little rain, the waterfalls will have but a trickle of water coming over but can still be beautiful. At every stop on the road, the parking lots are covered with the broken glass from the car windows that have been broken as people take advantage of the tourists getting out and walking away from their vehicles. Just remember to keep everything out of the front compartments/seats of the car where you can see it. The suction cup marks on the front windshield are also a giveaway that a GPS lives in the car somewhere. I still can't figure out if the road to Hana is a local prank or what. When you tell someone from the area you did it they laugh and only after we did the trip did we see the T-shirts that read "I Survived the Road to Hana" that made me feel like I had just completed some crazy feat. I must say that the trip is worth while if you love the outdoors and want to see the natural terrain of the island. It's just not for you if you would rather spend your time on the beach. One final note on this trip, check your rental car CD player before buying the CD guide for the Road to Hana. After I bought the $20 CD at the shell station stand, I tried to stick in my new CD and found that there was already another one in the player. Who knows, you may get a freebie.

We did the Old Lahaina Luau and truly enjoyed it. The staff are super friendly and really seem to enjoy their job. They are all joking and super attentive to your needs. The food is good, the bar is open and the view is spectacular. Just book early, it was sold out. I haven't been to any of the other luaus so I can't compare but this one was a good show.

The hotel self parking does fill up at night so they will give you free valet but be warned, if you leave your car there the next night too and don't leave, they will charge you the extra $10 for that night. I just told the front desk what happened and they removed the fee from the bill right away. They will offer a time share preview but don't push too hard, just cards under your room door. We took the tour and kids are allowed, even a Gameboy to entertain him during the talk. You can also opt to have them attend the Kid's Club if you want for the morning. Just once we said we were passing, they sort of forgot about us and we just had to walk out after waiting ten minutes to get the exit survey.

If you are looking to fill your mini fridge in the room, and I do mean mini, go next door to the Whaler's Village and visit the ABC store. You can get a six pack of beer for the price of one at the pool bar at the hotel. If you want even cheaper, go back toward Lahaina and go to one of the more local stores. We just got lazy and were enjoying our time at the hotel as much as possible and the ABC had pretty much what we needed. The hotel store was our last resort but still had the last minute snacks we wanted and you will pay for that convenience, but hey, we were on vacation.

Overall, the Westin will be the hotel of choice for my family in the future and we will definitely be going back as many times as possible.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
9  Thank ccox02
Reviewed 20 May 2008

First time visitors to Maui can't go wrong with the location of the Westin. It's close to down town and an easy ride to the airport, heliport, zipline, etc. We had no problem finding three chairs together by the pool no matter what time of day it was. If you enjoy laying on the beach, be prepared to pay for a chair. Kaanapali beach is ok but there are much nicer beaches in Wailea. Get out and explore them! Rooms are clean but cramped. There were three of us staying in one room and getting ready could be a bit of a challenge. Food/drinks are extremely overpriced at the Westin but that is to be expected in Maui so be prepared. There is an ABC store at Whaler's Village (right next door) so stock up on water, snacks, etc. See Mike the bartender at the adult pool. He's the best! The one problem we encountered with the hotel staff was the maid. We were sure to lock the sliding door every day before leaving and she always left it unlocked after cleaning. We were on the first floor so this could have presented a huge problem. We'd definitely consider the Westin again if returning to Maui.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank vik20480
Reviewed 19 May 2008

My husband, my baby, and I spent 5 nights at this hotel in May 2008. We thought the lobby, beach, pool, and location were outstanding. When we got up to our room, a felt like I took at trip back to the 1970s. The room needed some serious updating. The carpets, wallpaper, curtains, counters were really worn down. The glass patio table on the balcony was broken in numerous areas. The glass bathroom lamp had a crack that went all the way through. There was dirt on the chairs and tables. I couldn't believe that this room belonged to such a well renowned hotel. I went down to the front desk, the representative assured me that the broken glass on the patio table and bathroom lamp would be fixed. It didn't get fixed until I complained again 2 days later. The overall character of the staff was a big disappointment as well. Any apology was insincere. On the last day we were told by the bellhop that we would be able to use the pool and then wash up in a room before we left. When we attempted this we were told that this was unavailable and had to change in the bathroom instead. again, this was met by a sour apology by the hotel manager who gave me her card and told me that she would "hook me up" next time i stayed at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family