“Enjoyed the Westin - here are the pros and cons”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Overall a nice hotel -- beautiful beach in front, rooms were nice. We booked "partial ocean view" rooms and were more than satisfied with the view (behind the pool, but could see much of the ocean). Liked the fact that the hotel is in walking distance from Whaler's Village - lots of restaurants there, including a food court in the back. We cut costs by eating dinner there a couple of times - the little Mexican place has great fish tacos! Also, loved The Fish Co. in Lahaina - great food and views (to cut costs eat lunch there instead of dinner!)
The cons of the Westin: unless you are one of these grabby people who "reserve" pool chairs all day for the 2 hours they will use them, forget about getting a seat by the pool. Having nowhere to sit gets old after a week, and reduces your enjoment of the property - management should do something about this (since usually, over half the chairs are "reserved" but empty).
The resort is full of kids - this was fine with us, but I would not recommend this hotel for couples or honeymooners. Would not recommend the Westin luau. The food was good but the ambiance was terrible, and it was very expensive. Overall, a good experience, but next time I would probably look for a hotel that's a bit quiter and more relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank lmg11

Reviewed 22 July 2008

My family (wife and 2 boys 7 and 9 yrs old) and we spent 10 days at the Westin Maui in July.

I am a SPG Platinum member and was contacted in advance of our stay by the Concierge to discuss any needs I had in advance of arriving at the hotel.

Upon arrival our room was ready and we were upgraded to an Ocean View room. Check-in was speedy and we were at the pool in no-time. My only real complaint about this hotel is that the rooms are a little small when you have 4 people in them (2 double beds). Other than that the rooms had been upgraded with newer bath amenities and flat screen TV's.

During our stay we really enjoyed the pools and waterslides. The ocean was also great and we spent some time body surfing in there.

The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The waterfall in the lobby area is quite impressive and makes a stunning impact when you arrive at the hotel.

We ate at Ono's and the Tropica restaurants. While the costs are a little high they are in-line with other Westin's and as expected the food is well done.

We also did the Thursday night Luau and really enjoyed the food and the performance.

We also used the Shuttle service frequently to go into Lahaina for dinner and found it very reliable and punctual.

Throughout my stay I received excellent customer service and would definitely consider a return to the hotel in the future.

1  Thank SuperDave15
Reviewed 19 July 2008

My husband and I took our two boys (ages 8 & 6) for our first really big family trip. Unfortunately, our plane was delayed for 3 hours at LAX so we didn't arrive until close to midnight at the Westin.
Our check in was unremarkable, and I really didn't think that the gal was all that friendly. But we liked that our connecting rooms were up high on the 10th floor. Our view was parking lot/mountains, but I had paid for the cheapest rooms. It was quiet if nothing else.

I expected a really small room after reading the reviews, but it was a pretty typical hotel room. Granted, you are paying a lot of money for this small room, but hey..this is Maui and hotel rooms just don't come cheaply. The bed was honestly the best feature of the room! It was sooooo comfortable. They aren't kidding when they call it "heavenly". I think my husband and I had the best hotel sleep of our lives. I want an identical mattress for home! The flat panel TV was great, and the television choices adequate. We did not order any movies as they were close to $15.00.

The breakfast buffet was close to $100.00 for the four of us and really not worth it. The view at the Tropica restaurant was gorgeous, but I'd suggest going to Safeway for morning essentials and save your $100.00 for a nice dinner instead. We never ate any other meals here as they are so many other great places to try. We did enjoy quite a few Mai Tai's and Tropical Monkey drinks by the pool however. Beware though..the alcohol content in the drinks seems pretty minimal for what you pay.

Okay...the pools. They are terrific and were a big reason for why we chose the Westin. Its nice and cold and the slide was great for the kids. Yes, there were plenty of kids playing in the pool, but since we weren't on our honeymoon, this was fine with us. You can purchase rafts and tubes for about $3.00 and they provided the kids with hours of fun in the water. We were also given a few more by people who were flying home. You can apparently rent basketballs and volleyballs for the water, but I really didn't like avoiding hard basketballs flying by my head in the water. They sell a lot of different snacks by the water, but they are super pricey as well. Popcorn will cost you $5.00 and an ice cream bar will set you back about $5.00 as well. Of course my kids wanted them daily. There were many chairs, and I honestly didnt have a problem finding several in a row. If you want prime seating, they are likely gone by early morning. It seems some people hung out at the pool every day..ALL day in the same spots. We didn't come to Maui to sit by the pool all day, so just having a chair when we wanted one was fine.

The Westin is a very short walk from Whaler's Village, and I was happy to find a McDonalds for the kids. It was our cheapest lunch of the week! Whaler's village has a lot of shops to get your T shirts and souvenirs as well as a Border's book store and a Free Whaling Museum that we enjoyed. Its also home to Hula Grill and Leilani's on the Beach. I would suggest you walk when you can or take the Westin's free shuttle as parking is limited, and you will have to tip when you get your car back from the "free" valet.

My husband and I enjoyed a lot of great food while in Maui, and if you're looking for some good food (but not cheap), we had some success and can offer some recommendations. We ate at Hula Grill (both the formal restaurant and the barefoot bar) twice. The kids meal at the Barefoot bar is much more kid friendly, but the offerings for the adults is not nearly as good. We enjoyed our last meal at the more formal restaurant and the food choices were much better! The kids weren't thrilled with their choices (ribs, ono, sashimi, salad, steak..get the idea??), but they ended up liking it anyway. We also enjoyed Leilani's and my husband LOVED the fish tacos. We wish we had had time on our last day to go back for more. If you have time, Roy's in Kahana (a few miles away by car) was my absolute favorite. There is no view to speak of (the only meal we ate with no view), but the food is to die for. If you love chocolate, order the souffle for dessert. It takes 30 minutes to make, so plan to order it with your dinner, and it was honestly heaven on Earth. It was expensive, but everything in Maui is, and I really thought we got our best meal and service here.

As far as excursions, we enjoyed a Sunset cruise on the Gemini which picks up right in front of the Westin. Great, friendly cruise and pretty good appetizers. They also have an open bar with all the Mai Tai's you can drink (Much tastier than the Westins!) We took in a Luau at the Hyatt and it was so so. The food was icky, and the kids were bored. The last act of the night was the only one worth watching as it involved fire. On our last day, we went snorkeling on the Four Winds. We wanted to go on Trilogy, but it fills up quickly. The Four Winds offers a much larger boat, but we enjoyed this as well. The food was good, and the crew helpful and fun. We did have to drive 30 minutes to get the harbor, but it was worth it.

The Westin is a gorgeous hotel, and we had a super time. Would I go back? I might. It's certainly got a great location and the grounds and pool are up there with the best. This is certainly a great place for kids and my kids are already asking to go back next Summer.

Enjoy!!!!!

2  Thank mcvalle06
Reviewed 18 July 2008

First, the good news. The Beach Tower was recently remodeled that we stayed in, and it was nicely appointed. A few cheap corners cut, like the toilet seat looked like it was from 1975, and the room was remodeled in 2008.

The hotel has a nice pool, that is a bit crowded like all of the hotels in the area.

The real problem is the management. Turn down service didnt even happen the first 2 nights of our 4 night stay in an oceanfront suite. when we complained, they made promises that didnt pan out. They seem to want to make the attempt at superior customer service, but just dont execute like the 4 seasons or a Fairmont property (like the Kea Lani we stayed at just prior). No less than 4 different members of managment made customer service promises about turn down service, wristbands for the pool the night prior , etc, that never happened. Really embarrassing in my opinion. This place just doesnt match up to the competition. If you want a quality experience, pay a litle bit more and stay at the Fairmont or Four Seasons, or other.

Good luck

4  Thank BBTRVLR
Reviewed 18 July 2008

I just returned from the Westin Maui using the 6 day/5 night package for $749. Rental Car voucher was included for $185 and I received a $100 resort credit upon check-in. If I wanted to participate in the Westin Vacation Villa Ownership presentation (which was 2 hours in length and they weren't that pushy), I would receive an additional $100 resort credit. So that would be $200 of resort credit and if I wanted to use that towards a room upgrade, the credit would be doubled to $400.

When I checked in, they offered me a room overlooking the parking lot and the golf course on the 3rd floor in the Ocean Tower (which wasn't a bad view). I asked the front desk agent to upgrade to an ocean view room and I was given three options :
1) I could use my Starwood points toward an ocean view room, but that would have been 5,500 points per night (27,500 total)
2) Pay $450 ($90/night + occupancy tax) cash for the upgrade or
3) Use the resort credit toward the room upgrade. To maximize my use of the resort credit, the agent told me to take the vacation villa presentation and then I would have $400 of resort credit to use for the room upgrade.

By upgrading the room would cost $450 total ($90/night), but since I would have $400 of resort credit, it would only cost me an extra $50 and the corresponding occupancy tax ($10.27/night). So at the end of the day, I'm only out $101.35 for the partial ocean view upgrade and $100 for the resort fee.

The front desk agent was even nice enough to give me the keys in advance to inspect the rooms to make sure that room met my expectation for the price paid.

I opted for the resort credit usage and what that got me was Room 284 in the Beach Tower. This room is located about 3 rooms from the end of the tower closest toward the beach. It offered a slim view of the mountains, a view of the lower pool and a partial ocean view. The only bad part was that since the room was located on the 2nd floor (and this floor was designated as a Starwood Preferred Guest floor), my balcony looked out over the mezzanine rooftop which contained trash that guests from higher floors had obviously dropped onto it.

A lot of people have complained about the size of the rooms. If you want a bigger room, you should opt for a room in the Beach Tower. Those rooms have about 250 more square feet in them than in the Ocean Tower. They have a full walk-in closet and the balconies are larger (the Ocean Tower rooms only have an armoire/no closet). The bathrooms are also significantly larger in the Beach Tower rooms. The only drawback in the Beach Tower rooms is that you don't have the bar sink that you'll find in the Ocean Tower rooms. You basically have a table stand with the coffee pot and cups on it.

Aside from the rooms, the hotel is in great shape for being almost 25 years old. The staff did a great job overall and yes, there were issues with people reserving pool chairs as early as 6am. However, I did notice pool attendants walking around noting which chairs had been vacant for longer than 30-45 minutes. If you get to the pool around 8am, you should not have a problem securing your favorite spot. And the staff did a great job of policing the kids from the adult pool.

The restaurant food was okay at the Ono Bar and Grill and the Westin's Tropica Restaurant food was highly over-priced ! Just walk down 30 steps from the Tropica and you've got Leilani's, Hula Grill and the Rusty Harpoon which had excellent food at reasonable prices.

One more thing about this property. Several years ago, the concierge made it a point to inform the guests that there is a professional photographer on staff (by the American Express Tour desk) who will take photos of you and your family for free. This service still exists, but they don't mention it to you, so make sure you ask the front desk about this service. You have to make a reservation in advance, but they take you to the most picturesque spots at the resort and the results are great !

Overall, I had a great time at the Westin Maui and definitely recommend it !

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank qbchiefs
Reviewed 17 July 2008

We really enjoyed the six days spent at the Westin Maui. Everything operated properly, including the fantastic slide, and it was a perfect site to relax or be active. The staff were pleasant and attentive. The room was very comfortable. The restaurants in the resort or next door ( particularly Leilani's) offer very good fare, and if you plan it right you can move from Happy Hour to Happy Hour from about 3 PM until 10. We always dropped out after the second Mai Tai, but some people showed amazing stamina. Don't miss snorkeling at Black Rock, just a short walk up the beach. We were fortunate to find the water crystal clear and full of turtles.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We just returned from our stay at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa and had a great time! We traveled with our three girls that range in age from 10 to 15. The location of the Westin was perfect for our family. There is snorkeling right down the beach by the Sheraton, shopping next door at the Whaler's Village, and the fabulous pool. Something for everybody. It was nice having everything within walking distance...since it seemed that some in our group would want to switch activites sooner than others. The pool at the Westin is great! The slide is nice and you can buy inflatable rafts and tubes for just $3 - $4. We were warned that the pool chairs get reserved early in the day, but that wasn't a problem for us. (You do have to reserve them early...by 9am, they were all reserved with towels) But to avoid this problem, we went to the beach or shopping the first half of the day, and headed to the pool around 3pm. (It seemed that the people who had been there since the morning, tended to leave at this time) We never had a problem finding a place to lounge in the later afternoon. Also, if you don't like the crowds snorkeling by the Sheraton , you can catch the shuttle to the Westin Villas where the snorkeling is just as good, without all the people. Oh, one note of caution...there are metal plates (drains) at the bottom of the pool that my daughter accidentally pushed off from, and cut her foot badly! Warn your kids to watch out for them.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!