“Picky Traveler -- Very Impressed”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed for 6 nights - Oct 20-26. I was very nervous about the condition of the hotel and its rooms after reading some of the reviews, but I opted for the Westin over the Hyatt because (1) it has a better beach, (2) the location is next door to Whaler's Village, (3) the bathrooms are larger than at the Hyatt, (4) I was told the rooms are not as dark as the Hyatt rooms, (5) I had several requests that the Westin would confirm and the Hyatt would not.

I think my stay was so wonderful because I opted to stay in the Beach Tower with an Oceanfront (as opposed to Ocean View) room. There can be quite a difference between the two. The Beach Tower is right on the beach and not impacted by construction. I also paid for the room -- I did not use points -- which could be why I didn't have problems. The only problem with Beach Tower Oceanfront rooms is that you can hear the loud music which starts at 3:00 (happy hour) at the neighboring restaurants and goes until 10 pm. Fortunately the restaurant below the Beach Tower was closed, but it will reopen in November and I'm sure there will be a noise problem, as they most likely will have music.

In any event, the hotel grounds were beautifully kept up, everything was clean, the staff was nice (especially Gia in Guest Relations), and the best part of the construction was that the hotel was only half full, there were hardly any children, and there were not many people around the pool or on the beach or in the restaurants -- it was really great !

Room Tip: Beach Tower -- Ocean Front -- higher floors -- definitely. Avoid rooms facing Whaler's Village.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Leni C
Write a ReviewReviews (5,223)

Reviewed 3 November 2013

The service by 'Princess Tiana' was great!!! Highly recommended spot for some R&R. Princess Tiana was extremely attentive, friendly and courteous. The great service from the staff helped make our 3 day stay a relaxing experience.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Aces31
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The hotel is under construction 9am-5pm 7 days a week with work rotating around the building so you cannot avoid it. You cannot be in the room after 9am, the pounding and noise is incredible. There is also no restaurant, so you have to go somewhere else to eat. There is a kiosk for coffee and rolls for breakfast and the Bar has a limited lunch and dinner menu. Based on amount of construction left to do and the status of what has been completed, I expect 2014 to be a washout and would not consider this hotel until 2015, soonest. The only positives is there is a great view and nice pool, but there are lots of other hotels that have that too. The staff is very good and clearly tired of people commenting on how disappointed they are in the facility. The hotel is not discounting anything, so if you stay here, expect to pay top dollar for no value.

Room Tip: Stay away until construction is over.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank m m
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Aloha and thank you for your review. Please accept our apologies for providing a less than perfect Westin stay. As we are committed to providing our guests with a renewing experience, we are disappointed to have missed the mark in your case. Please know that this is not representative of our standards and would be grateful for the opportunity to speak with you personally. We have sent you a private message with details on how we can connect. Again, we apologize and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here for 5 days in October 2013, arriving at 9.30am. We didn't think our room would be ready but the lady at reception was lovely and found a room for us that was ready. This place is divine. When you walk in, there is a waterfall, flamingos and a swan swimming in front of it and fish in the pond. Hotel staff are lovely and helpful. Our room was spacious, clean and modern. The beds are comfortable and the sheets are 600 thread count. We were on the 11th floor and had beautiful mountain views. The room was cleaned promptly every morning. The hotel boasts a number of pools, one of which is an adult only pool and this is where I spent most of my time. There is a fitness centre which I would have taken full advantage of if I hadn't of sprained my ankle, a spa and beautiful running tracks. Its about 50 minutes from the airport and is quiet and relaxing. The only negative comment I have about the resort was the restaurant "Relish". I ate there a couple of times before I found other places to eat. The food is expensive. The staff for the most part are rude. One morning when I went down for breakfast (it was not busy when I went down), I had to wait 20 minutes for someone to take my order (and this was sitting in the "I'm ready to order" pose). Another morning my order was wrong and when I asked for it be corrected, the waiter said no problem and left and didn't come back and another waiter had to sort it out. I would unreservedly recommend this hotel but for your eating experience, I would not recommend Relish.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank kle82
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Arrived at 10.30pm and were given an old room on the 2nd floor. The next morning we asked to be moved as the room was showing its age with a tired bathrooms and stains on the carpet. Grace at the front desk was very good in moving us to a newly refurbished room overlooking the mountain. The room was very modern and included a walk in shower rather than a bath. They are currently renovating the hotel and so there is a lot of noise all over the Ocean tower between 8am and 5pm. The noise cannot be heard by the swimming pools but is a inconvenience if you want to return to your room during the day. The swimming pools and grounds are outstanding and very well kept. The gym however needs to look at its air conditioning system as this didn't exist and there was no showers and charging rooms which is very strange. There is a 25 dollar resort fee which includes self parking, internet access, a free 6 by 4 inch photo (need to book in advance), a Westin tote bag and 2 bottles of water a day. There is a cafe for continental breakfast and a restaurant on site for dinner. It is however easier to walk next door to the Whaler's as the food is cheaper and there is more choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room, which are all of the higher floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matty17r
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This hotel would have been perfect if it would not of had such paper thin walls. There is no need for me to know what is happening in EVERY room that surrounded ours. Would never bring my family here!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kim L
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Aloha Kim L. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with a positively unforgettable experience. We do appreciate your valuable feedback and will look into this issue right away. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here recently for a 5 day break. Immediatly upon arrival we were impressed by entrance to hotel, beautiful waterfalls and grounds. The grounds are really beautiful and plenty of wildlife around. It gave us a real sense of relaxation from when we arrived.

We were lucky to have a Starwood Preferred guest floor Oceanview Delue room on top floor and the views were amazing. Our room was clean, bathroom great which I'm always picky on, and balcony a good size. Only comment was our room cleaner wasn't the best and didn't replenish our water on last couple of days which was a bit annoying being that you pay the resort fees to include this.

We had massages first day which was well worth it, spa was gorgeous. We hired a Cabana on the beach for the day which was great also and worth the money. They bring fresh fruit and water along and you have bar service if you fancy something. Its also a lot quieter than being around the pool.

The pools x 4 are just gorgeous, the families and kids tend to stick to the ones the slides are in, and theres an adult only pool and another one with hidden cave which we loved. I was really impressed with how spacious the pool areas were and they never got overcrowded. It was a really great feature of the resort.

Hired snorkells $30 for the week which was good value, plenty of other things to do like paddleboarding, surfing etc and the break is good just off the resort.

Only reason I didn't give this a top rating is I felt there wasn't enough restaurant options on site to eat at, Relish cafe was pretty basic, then Starbucks coffee place, poolside service and a restaurant which was closed while we were there. We went next door to Whalers Village which was fine - Hula Grill is a must ! But I just felt for the size of the resort it could have more options.

Overall I'd reccommend this resort to anyone. Very high standard of service, beautiful grounds and worth the money, I'm so glad we stayed here and not somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beli_c_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!