“A Dream Stay”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Los Angeles, California
“A Dream Stay”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed from 2/12-2/19 and we loved the hotel grounds from the moment we arrived. It was very comfortable, beautiful pool, and the property is right on the beach. They have an adult pool with a bar. ALL the hotel staff was wonderful and friendly. The one thing I love about Hawaii is the locals, they are all so nice.
We did have one incident at the restaurant Relish, on the Westin grounds. We ordered some pork nachos during Happy Hour and my husband almost choked on saran warp. I think it might have been stock to the pork when it was heated. Anyway beside the scary part, the manager on duty made things right. Besides this issue we loved the hotel and staff.
Best part of our stay was the Heavenly bed.

1 Thank Crystal L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,321)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Nome, Alaska
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I came to Maui for a conference thinking I was booking a 5star hotel because of the photos on the site and the information provided. I was using booking.com, but I looked through numerous sites including VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner) etc and it appeared that the info advertised about the Westin Maui Resort and Spa was all the same: 2 double beds with free wifi and parking and enough space to move comfortably in the room. Then through booking.com, I updgraded to a daily fee to have an ocean view, and kitchenette. When I showed up, what I got was a garden view with the smallest room that I have ever seen, which was 2 beds that barely fit side by side without space to walk between them. Also, the rate I was paying was $560/day (not including the 13.5% tax and internet and parking fees) and the actually daily rate advertised on the Westin site was $369/day for a ocean view. When I got there I complained to the manager, Michelle, and she was very unhelpful and rude -the first night she wouldn't help me at all, and finally the second night, she begrudgingly gave me a ocean view room and she told me that I was in the lower room category, even though I was paying for a higher rate than the ocean view. Michelle treated me like I didn't have a right to ask her for anything -and like I was wasting her time. I felt disrespected. I stayed there for 7 nights and every day I felt stressed out about this situation and my vacation/ conference was not relaxing. My family came to visit for a few days and was able to get into the Westin Villas for the same price I was paying -they had a beautiful villa/condo with a bedroom, beautiful bath, kitchen... and I had barely a decent hotel room. I decided to stay with my family for the last couple days of my trip and so, I called booking.com who harassed me beyond sanity. Finally I went back to the hotel dreading to deal with Michelle again -who had been the only manager there since I was there. When I walked up, I talked with Dawn, another manager, who was a beautiful person and super wonderful and incredibly helpful. She was respectful, understanding, very compassionate and truly the best part of my stay at Westin. She listened to me, understood my frustrations and took care of everything. She is the only reason that this is not a 1 star review. I would stay at the Westin again only because of Dawn's kindness. Thankfully, I was able to resolve things without drama and without feeling disrespected and that is all because of how Dawn handled the situation and respected me. Thank you Dawn! She absolutely rocks!

1 Thank shanna t
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We were in something I heard the front desk lady describe as the luxury oceanview rooms which there were only a handful of. When you look out the balcony all you see is the ocean and the outer islands. Bascially the only view you have if you look down is the restaurant by the see but nothing else of the hotel. It's pretty awesome. I heard the hotel was renovated a while ago and all the rooms are new and up to date. These rooms were older but still everything was well decorated and comfy. You could see the wear but the views were just phenomenal. We were on the 6th floor which to me was perfect. If you were laying on the bed the only thing you'd see was the coconut trees, the ocean and lanai. If you were too low you the coconut trees might hinder the view of the sunset. If you were too high the only thing out the window would just be the sky. The staff was extremely friendly. The parking REALLY sucks if you don't plan to valet as the self parking lot is small and partially used for construction. They do however make up for it by valeting the car for free when the lot is full. There were 2 water slides and 5 pools we didn't get a chance to try any of them but they were well maintained and the surrounding atmosphere was pleasant. The flamingos and the koi fish were a hit for the kids who were there. In the morning the staff will hand out little cups of koi food so the kids could feed the fish. It was pretty cool adults get to do it too if they are interested!

1 Thank EvaLady
Atlanta
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Fourth time at hotel and love the place. Pools are great, grounds are beautiful and setting on ocean is spectacular. Rooms are nice enough especially since most time is spent outdoors. I do have one real complaint and it is with the Westin Villa Time Share tour which I must admit I took out of greed for the 7,500 points that were offered. When we checked in, we were sent to the concierge to collect our complimentary bag (which in the past was nice but not so good this year.

The concierge asked if we would like to tour the Westin Villas. I advised no that I didn't like the high pressure Time Share Sales. He advised that I would get 7.500 points for taking the tour, a continental breakfast and it was only a 90 minute "visual" tour (No pressure). I again questioned the sales angle and was advised no pressure and only 90 minutes. Both when the lady called to reconfirm the tour and when we went for pickup again asked about the "visual tour" and advised that it was just visual. I have had two bad experiences on time share and was concerned about falling for it again which I must admit, I did.

When we arrived, a nice lady, Patrice greeted us and we stopped for our continental breakfast which consisted of a counter with a few small pastries, chocolate chip cookies, coke and coffee which we had standing up with Patrice behind us waiting to move on. I guess this might qualify for a continental breakfast but it was just a way for the WV to fulfill their statement. The "visual tour" was actually nice and would have been a pleasant experience if it had ended there but when it was over, we went into her office and she asked which model we would be interested in which we advised we were not. She then asked but "If we were which model to which we made the mistake of saying the ocean view. This is when the sales began. Lee, the enforcer was brought in the stress to us that we needed to make our decision that day - there were only a few left and to help us he was offering hundreds of Starwood points. When I advised that I could never make a decision like this in one day, he stressed that this was not a decision but a choice. I must admit that I spent longer in that office than I should have but you have to credit the "Enforcer" in that he knows his job and he just keeps peppering you with questions and sales pitches that try to make you feel that you are an idiot if you don't buy. When we finally stressed that we were not interested, he was done without a nice talking to you or have a nice rest of your trip.

We asked if the 7,500 points would be applied and we were told yes should have asked for more details. 2 1/2 hours later on our 90 minute tour, we arrived back at the hotel (A 5 minute ride) and called the desk to ask again about the application of the points. This is when the finger pointing started and was told to call SPG desk which I did. They said the Time Share side of SPG handled and transferred me and they advised me it was the SPG desk. I went down to the concierge (who originally booked the tour) and he got the "Tour Concierge" and together they told me not to worry it would be credited and I should see it on my bill in 8-10 weeks. When I asked why so long, it had to go to FLL for review and then to SPG for application (Seems funny that my points can be deducted immediately but this process takes 8-10 weeks.

Sorry for long tirade and I am not trying to discourage people from taking the tour but I hope to give people the reality of what the tour will be.

I will not hesitate to stay at the hotel again but the tour will not be repeated!

5 Thank jimbeau13
California
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Like others, we were prepared for the worst given the reviews. We were staying as part of a conference rate, so didn't want to opt out of better rate. We had a fabulous stay. There was no construction going on (Feb 14-19), service was pleasant, Ocean Tower 7th floor room with amazing view over pools and off the shore. I was expecting the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (Disneyland ride), but we got a great stay at a great hotel. We even were able to find parking each day in the lot. I've got nothing but good things to say and I'm pretty critical.

3 Thank kidcorr
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I was like a little skeptical after reading some of the reviews, but I was super pleased with my choice. This hotel was great, with a superb location and view.

I booked with Starwood points, and got upgraded to an Ocean View room. The room was great, super clean and comfortable beds. Some of the restaurant staff were a little rude, but not too bad, the staff down at the towel area were pushy with trying to sell us stuff when all we wanted was towel, but I think they were just interested in flirting with my friend.

There was a confusion about what the Platinum breakfast included, but the Front Desk manager made it right and was super nice about it all. The location is great, the beach is nice, and you can surf just 100 ft down from the front of the hotel, although : don't use the surf company in front of the hotel if you can avoid it, it is way over priced, down the road like 3 miles its half the price for surf lessons.

The breakfast food was really good, we never ate dinner there. We did try the snack bar, the pizza was lame, but the hot dogs were okay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AmyH0822
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The hotel is beautiful and caters very well to small children. The beach is beautiful and good for snorkeling or just having fun in the waves. Plenty of good snorkel spots in walking distance. Great views of the humpback whales in the channel. The room itself was nothing exceptional. Standard room, but if you are planning on being out most of the time than it will serve its purpose. Excellent bed, I slept well every night. Good service. Poor parking situation. Convenient to shopping and dining.

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean-view, it is worth it.