“Fun Resort but be prepared to pay”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 9 September 2008

My adult daughter and I stayed at the Westin Resort and Spa in Ka'anapali for 2 weeks in August 2008. The resort is beautiful as depicted in their photos. It is not a quiet place however. The lobby is open air with rushing waterfalls all around. Beautiful, but loud. If you are looking for a quiet, serene setting, this may not be the resort for you. The Westin adds a mandatory resort fee of $20/day to the room charges. Our room was not upgraded upon check-in (unlike many others who have reported receiving a room upgrade). I was told an upgrade to partial ocean view would cost an additional $145 per night! We were given a room with a mountain view, looking toward the golf course. Because it also looks over the parking lot, many times a day we heard sounds of car alarms and delivery trucks beeping in reverse. Our room was very small and nicely decorated, but in need of maintenance. The sliding glass door did not seal and the wind whistled through the panes all day and night. The toilet leaked every day and we had cock roaches in the room. Several light bulbs were burned out and the TV remote had a dead battery. The staff was prompt at tending to these issues when we mentioned them, but a guest should not have to point these out in a 5 star hotel. The housekeeping was very good, and supplied us daily with water, coffee and toiletries. The Heavenly beds are amazingly comfortable for sleeping, but we also had to use them for in-room dining since the room did not accommodate a table or chairs for this purpose. We spent time at the adult pool, where we had to claim a spot by 7:00am. Several guests reserved lounge chairs with towels, and would return hours later. I did witness some monitoring of the lounge chairs by resort staff, but it was not strictly enforced. The poolside service for food and beverages was great. If you prefer to swim in water above 75 degrees, I recommend the ocean because the resort pools are not heated. The resort is located on a very beautiful, clean, safe beach front. The Westin rents beach chairs and umbrellas to guests for $26+ tip per day and these also get reserved quickly so get there by 8:00am to rent an umbrella. We did not use the spa services since we had sticker shock from the prices. Instead we found Third Heaven Spa just a mile up the road and had more than 2 hours of relaxing treatments at a fraction of the cost Westin charges. The Westin is located next to Whalers Village where dining and shopping options are plentiful. Hula Grill was our favorite. They make the best Mai tai's!!! Overall, our Westin experience was good. It was not as quiet and relaxing as we hoped, but we found our Aloha spirit!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank MumnKeiki
Write a ReviewReviews (5,223)

Reviewed 9 September 2008

We Loved our stay here. This hotel has the best location in kaanapali. Steps away from Whalers village and right smack in the middle of all the hotels on Kaanapali row. The rooms are comfy but have a small refrigerator. The pools are awesome but very cold. Even in the hot weather it was unsettling to go in. Overall we loved our stay and recommend the Westin Maui for anyone to stay here. Make sure you get your deal through other sites. The rates on westin.com are outrageous and we payed much less through hotwire.

PROS: Location, Great Pools, Pretty grounds, Good Happy Hour Specials, Free Shuttle to Lahaina, Nice TV's in room, friendly staff.

CONS: A lot of nickel-and-diming, $25 a day resort fee (way to high), $10 fitness class fee (spin, yoga, etc), Pool not heated, Uncomfortable pool chairs, Fees for using lawn chairs on the beach.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BoogAdvisor
Reviewed 5 September 2008

This was my first time to Hawaii and the Westin was where we stayed for the first 4 nights. I'm an avid traveler and have stayed at many different types of hotels and different ranges. I'm quite disappointed with the level of service at this Westin.

After a long international flight from Japan, another domestic flight to Maui and securing a rental car, we arrive at Westin where I expected it to be a high class hotel with a nice welcome. Upon arrival, the valets were too deep in conversation with each other and ignored us, there were no bell boys to help with our luggage or golf bags, the was no lei greeter (there was a rack with some leis on it by the door that I didn't notice til day 2). Now I probably wouldn't complain about all this - except that we paid over $300 a night and I've stayed at less expensive hotels that have provided amazing service! Even the Outrigger Resort Waikiki we stayed at next (for the same price) was alot better - their staff was on top of everything!

We had a Garden View room w/King bed - nice view of garden, pool, and beach. However it is pretty small and I've stayed in small hotels in Japan!

Even more ridiculous is the $20 per day fee they tack on for:

- Admission to WestinWORKOUT®
- High Speed Internet Access in your guestroom and public areas
- Self-Parking
- Shuttle service to Kapalua West Maui Airport, upon availability
- Shuttle service to Ka'anapali golf and tennis facilities upon availability
- Westin Maui souvenir shopping bag
- Two (2) bottles of water replenished daily
- Outdoor portrait sitting and free 4 by 6 color photograph through Westin Maui Photography

Give me a break - this is the Westin! It should all be included in the rate. Bottles of water are normally complimentary at other hotels. I have to pay for self-parking as a guest? And who wants a Westin souvenir shopping bag? (which by the way is a small gift bag with a picure of the hotel on it). Taxes and fees are another $30 - so remember to $50/day on top of what your rate is.

Be aware that this is a very, very crowded hotel with a very very crowded pool, if that's not your thing, then this wouldn't be it for you (Check out the private & romantic Mama's Fishhouse Inn).

Good things - the restaurant food was excellent, even just at the outdoor bar & restaurant by the pool, and the concierge lady we worked with was very helpful and gave good recommendations. There is also an adult only pool. The hotel is beautiful w/an indoor / outdoor feel.

Overall - I will not stay here again nor would I recommend it to my friends. I can't believe we payed so much.

7  Thank erin_japan
Reviewed 3 September 2008

We have stayed at the Hyatt, Sheraton, Marriot and the Westin in Kaanapali and we decided to stay at the Westin because there pool was heated in the past. We have a 2 year old so this was very important to us. When we got checked in, we went to the pool and were shocked when it was at 72 degrees. We asked why and were told, because of energy costs they turned off the heater. We called the genral manager and he never called us back and all of the staff we talked to said its a big problem everyone is complaining. I could not keep my daughter in the pool longer than 5 minutes at a time. It was perfect weather out and the hotel was sold out and many times there was not more
than 10 people in the water. Very dissapointing. The pool never got above 76 degrees the whole 8 days we were there. Be careful..

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank epic333
Reviewed 3 September 2008

This is a lovely hotel. I absolutely love the waterfall in the lobby! We had our picture taken from behind the fall. Check in was swift and easy, though the attendant could have been a bit friendlier. She was not rude but I expected more. Maybe that's a southern thing. The hotel itself is very nice, clean and the rooms are great and sound proof. Soft plush bed, plenty of space in the room, lovely bathroom, made with marble tile, the view from the balcony was beautiful, even though we were over the top of one of the restaurants. To get up in the mornings to the view of the ocean was just fantastic so much so that after the first day we didn't notice the rooftop again. The pools are laid out nicely. The kiddie and family pools are seperate from the adult pool. That was VERY nice! The restaurants were expensive but we expected that. We had our morning breakfast buffet included in our package. I think the price was $25. I thought that was acceptable considering the variety of items available. I loved the guy who made our omelettes in the mornings. He was very friendly. So was all of the wait staff. One thing I LOVED about this hotel was that on the other side of the hotel was a shopping plaza. In that plaza there was a tiny Mcdonalds, a pizza eatery , mexican eatery that also made subs, and a chinese eatery. The prices were exceptional and the food was very good! Now this place is not part of the Westin but it's just around the back of the hotel. That was a welcome find because you get tired of spending $25 for a cheeseburger and fries. OH!!! the snorkeling is great right out in front of the hotel and especially about 300 yards down from the hotel. For me the only draw backs were that the parking lot would fill up very quickly BUT, BUT the valet staff would then park your car for FREE! So you can't beat that. The front desk staff were less friendly than I would have expected but the concierge were VERY friendly and knowledgable. The hotel had poker games on, I believe Tues and Friday (only 8 seats avail.) but you could only play for drink tickets. Which actually came in handy considering the drinks are from $10 to $12 each, which is typical. We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely recommend it.

4  Thank lovemyfamily68
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Gees im not sure where to begin- First we were greeted with a lei whick really made you feel like you were in Hawaii. We intially had a garden view room but were upgraded to ocean view room in the ocean towers for 50.00 extra per night. The room was great ,bed was so comfortable and the view spectacular. The pools are awesome love getting drinks and sipping them by the pool. Always had a lounge chair ,but by the afternoon they do fill up. This is a family oriented place with lots of kids as long as you don't get annoyed by them you will be fine and they do have an adult only pool. The ocean is the best and the beach area wonderful. Make sure to go down to Black Rock for great snorkeling. The food at the hotel was excellent and yes pricey but hey your in Maui what do you expect. There is A 20.00 resort fee which is common wherever you go. All the employees we dealt with were so nice and helpful. Room was always cleaned by at least 11am and they did a good job. The only negative i have is our flight didnt leave till 1055 at night. We had to check out of room at noon and then they offer a hospitality room to shower before your flight for 30 minutes. The first room was totally gross wet towels all over, very hot in room and shower was full of sand, we changed room and the next one was better but still had washclothes in shower and someone elses hair. They must not clean before each new person and i think they should. That is the only negative i have. This was one Amazing trip and when we come back will only return to the Westin.

2  Thank RN45
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Booked 2 nights at the Westin for $90 + 4800 SPG points, and was very impressed. I had booked this hotel 3 months ago when the only availability was 2 double beds with a parking lot view, and I emailed the Westin letting them know that it was a special occasion and could they do anything for me and my wife. When we got there, we were upgraded to a King Bed with an ocean view, and a bottle of champagne waited for us in out room. The resort itself was very nice, with wonderful pools, a waterslide, and a great location near Whalers Village, the Sheraton, and snorkeling at Black Rock. There were parrots, koi, flamingos, and other birds on site as well. The workout room was open 24 hours and had complimentary apples, towels, etc. The room was brand new, with the amazing Westin Bed, flat screen tv, couch, and all new amenities. I didn't eat at any of the restaurants but they looked prety crowded so they must be doing something right. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Any questions, feel free to email me.

1  Thank yoshapman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!