“Fantastic Hotel!”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Wow! My husband and I stayed at the Westin for 10 days for our honeymoon. I had read reviews, all of them: good, bad, indifferent. We were a little worried because of the bad reviews but then I realized that I need to see for myself, so we booked. And boy aren't we glad we did!

When we arrived, after being delayed 5 hours in Dallas then waiting over an hour for our rental car, it was dark when we got to the hotel. The valet who took our car couldn't have been nicer. The desk staff who checked us in apologized for our delay, even though it was the airlines fault, but still they felt bad.

The got us into our room within minutes of arriving and when I opened the door we had a bucket of champagne and strawberries with a card. It said Congrats Mr. & Mrs. ****** The only thing was they used my last name ;) Not my new married name since I booked it. It gave us a great laugh as we sipped champs on our balcony.

ROOM: The room was great. It was large, had a counter area with a fridge, safe, sink, coffee pot, ect. It was a great area to get ready while someone is showering in the adjacent shower/toilet. The beds were very comfy! The room was spotless. AC worked really well. The balcony was large enough for two chairs and a small table.

POOLS: They were a little chilly. But it was nice to jump in and cool off. They had watersides, waterfalls, caves, ect. Truly beautiful!

LOBBY: Wow - the lobby is stunning! They have a koi pond with flamingos, swans, waterfalls, a walkway under the waterfalls! They have a water station in the lobby to get some nice cold water and they have orchids to put in your water. They are on tooth picks so every day I went down and grabbed one and place it in my hair. The staff loved it :)

PARKING: People have complained about the parking and the spots being small. They are right, the spots are small, but you can easily park. There have also been complaints about there being no spots. Well hello....thats why they have a valet! If you don't see any spots you circle around, give them the key, and they park for you. But we only had that issue once. Otherwise there were always spots in the back.

LOBBY SHOPS: They have a bunch of shops in the lobby which were of all variety. Some where really over priced but some had great deals!

FOOD: The breakfast buffet (included in our package) was really nice. I would suggest not eating by the ocean since it is a hike if you want to get more food. The food was fresh and they always had smoothy shots ready at our table.

BEACH: The beach was great. I think more people hang out at Black Rock or by the pool so there was ample space on the beach. The water was fantastic! There was enough surf to body surf which was nice!

Whalers Village:
Next to the hotel was Whalers Village which has everything from the beloved ABC store where you can buy just about anything all the way to Coach and high end stores. They also have the Hula Grill which is a beach restaurant and Cain & Taro which has yummy food!

WALKING PATH: This runs right in front of the hotel and expands the entire length of Ka'anpali beach. It is so nice to stroll along it in the evening.

BLACK ROCK - a 5 minute walk to the Sheraton Hotel is Black Rock. It can be a little crowded but the snorkeling is out of this world! I have snorkeled all over the Virgin Islands, Dominican, Mexico, and southern Caribbean and I have to stay this snorkeling beats them all hands down!

WHALES: If you are there in the winter you can see whales breaching all day long and if you're snorkeling you can hear them talking under the water!

I would HIGHLY suggest this hotel! We scoped out the other hotels while we were there and none held a candle to the West Maui Resort.

Room Tip: As for a higher room in the Ocean Tower. They are newer.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Victoria C
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you so much for your detailed review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and with other travelers. Thank you for choosing us for our special occasion. Congratulations! We wish you all the best. We can't wait to welcome you back for many more celebrations. Take care and be well.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,219)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

we stayed in a mountain view room, this overlooked the parking lot , the golf course and the mountains a lil ahead. The rooms are well maintained. Loved the shower and the bath area. There is no bath tub but the bath area is good. The room is a small and a normal one. Food in the resort is slightly pricey and there was no microwave in the room which made it slightly difficult for us vegetarians to reheat any food from outside. The lobby is very well maintained. The beach along the resort is very pretty and enjoyable. The location of the resort is good but it is very crowded and thus slightly noisy too. the access to the beach is very easy. The parking lot gets full very quickly and generally the valet staff help out if it is full. A good experience but not the best on the whole.

Room Tip: choose an ocean view room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We checked in July 16th and departed the 19th. We booked an ocean view room. Upon walking into the room and checking out the view, I was disappointed. While I could see the ocean, I could really see the roof of the Pavillion and none of the pool area. So back down to request a room change. After a little back and forth, we settled on a room in the old tower on the 11th floor. Good sized room, needed some updating, and had elevator noise. But I was willing to deal with it gives end what we started out with. We were in room 1176. I will say, the rehabbed rooms did look nice though.

The pool area was nice, but good luck finding a chair if you are not there first thing in the am. The water slide was fun. Still, people everywhere! Think Vegas mega hotel crowded.

We ate breakfast at relish each morning at the buffet since we had passes. Decent buffet, but other service and cleanliness was a little less than desired. We chose to eat off property for lunch and dinner. Just drive down or catch the shuttle to front street in Lahaina. Lots of options to fit every budget and scenery to keep you well entertained.

We also did the whole timeshare presentation thing. I simply like going to them when I get the opportunity. We did not buy, but if we ever go back, we will rent a villa there. While there are still a lot of people, it is more spread out, cleaner, more refined clientele, better beach, nicer staff and it is just a little more per night than what you would spend at the Westin resort and spa.

All in all, we had a good time at the resort and a lot of people seem to love it. For the price you pay for a room, there may be better options ad we discovered.

Also want to thank Jason for working with me on the room change. He was very helpful!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael W
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Westin Ka'anapali is perhaps situated on one of the best beaches on Maui - perfect for children of all ages with not very many people. Although Rooms are a bit small, the views are outstanding of the ocean - if you request the right rooms. Food on sight is a bit pricey, but the hotel is located adjacent to Whaler's Village shopping center which has multiple eateries including Subway, Ruby's, a Mexican place as well as upper end restaurants (Hula Hut is highly recommended).

Dan's Travel Tips:
1. Request a room in the newly renovated Ocean Tower (center building) - easy access to beach and pool. (see attached photo)

2. Request a room above floor 7 and below the 40's with an odd # (example yes to 725 but NO to 745 - there are palm trees that block the room views in the upper 40's). We originally had Room 745 but since there was a huge palm tree blocking our "Ocean View", we paid an extra $40/night to move up to 945 which made a world of difference.

3. If you are budget watching, the on-site food is very pricey - make sure to check out the Whaler's Village food court which is a quick 3-minute walk, but will give you access to a food court.

4. Self Parking is very tough (finding a spot), both at the Westin and in Lahaina Town - if you are looking to go to Lahaina, try and take the free Westin Shuttle.

5. The best place to park your 'beach/pool' stuff is at the edge of the pool that is in the lower right of the attached photo - that way your family will have easy supervised access to the pool and beach, you will have easy access to the bar, and you will be in a great location to watch the sunset first hand.

6. Activities - when booking activities on Maui, make sure to book them early in your stay - some of the more popular ones tend to book fast.

Safe Travels and Mahalo for Reading!

Room Tip: Ocean View, High Floor in the middle (under the '40's')
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank dansmack
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is one of those places I hesitate to review because it is already too crowded but it happens to be an awesome awesome place and that is why it is too crowded! The first time I was here I wasn't even staying here. It was circa 1989 and I was staying at the Sheraton Black Rock a few doors down (which was a funny coincidence since I also happened to work in "Black Rock" in NYC at the time). A friend and I stumbled across this property and were blown away, tried to sneak in, got kicked out. Then a couple years later I came back and a friend and I stayed at the Westin at Christmas time. At that time there were birds everywhere (my favorite was a white parrot named "Obie", who they tell me has since been bought by someone who fell in love with him too, and he now lives in Florida). There were black swans swimming around the incredibly expensive outdoor restaurant while you ate (this pond has since been filled in and one lonely swan is left, in a different area by the pool, and is the friendliest swan I ever met) and the incredibly expensive restaurant has closed. And there were art exhibits everywhere. Incredible art exhibits. They actually were displaying a room full of the terra cotta warriors from that Chinese emperor's grave, and there wasn't even a guard guarding them! You could watch whales jumping in the waters in front of the hotel and all you had to do was raise a little flag on your chair and a nice person came over to get your drink order. It was elegance of the highest order....

Well those days are over. The birds are mostly all gone now, the art too, but the people... well there's tons of them. The Westin has to adapt to the times. They have what - a thousand rooms or so? There aren't as many elegant customers as there are rooms. Last time I was here, which was about three years ago, we were lucky enough to get a high room, near the water and we rented the private cabanas "The Point" and "The Bar" most days, at $90 a pop, which came with an ice cooler filled with water, a shade tent and chairs in and out of the shade and a nice little velvet rope which kept everyone out. If you don't have that yes, you are stuck with the masses, and I mean masses and masses of kids! There is an adult pool, which gets quite crowded, but we had a good crowd most days (everyone made friends and made nice with eachother), there was a big group football-throw game in the pool and a good tune box blasting tunes and luckily there wasn't that one stick-in-the-mud to complain about it all. So the vibe at the adult pool was great. And when you do venture in to the rest of the pools, well, that is why you are here. They are amazing! Wondrous! Stupendous! And the water slide rocks! Just stop at Walmart and get your own water floats and get some food so you don't have to buy everything at the hotel. Whalers Village next door also has cheap food. The beach is gorgeous and hey we even took free ukulele lessons one morning and my husband has since stayed with it, bought a ukulele when we got home, learned more songs and he still plays! Just don't let the little kids get to you because if you do it will ruin your whole trip. Nobody's watching any of them. They are everywhere!!!! Um hello - parents? Do you hear me? Where are yooooou??????????? I hear the hotel has remodeled. We plan on going back next year. There are few places as fun as this place. And lots of good restaurants are nearby. Yes the parking spaces are too small at the hotel. Rent a small car, find something else to worry about! This place is the greatest!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnalogGurl
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Well. Your in Hawaii so that helps but this hotel is outstanding. I stay at a lot of SPG hotels and this one is the best. The lobby is gorgeous with water falls and birds. It's close to front street, that's where all the food and shopping is. This was a trip of a lifetime and this hotel was one of the reasons.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank OHVA
Reviewed 20 July 2014

First and foremost, this is a 3-3.5 star resort. I've stayed at over a dozen Starwood properties globally and this was by far the WORST in terms of: room, space, style, service and quality. I'm not one to rant or write reviews on my experiences, but I read a ton of reviews regarding this resort pre-booking and thought I'd shed some light to help others who might be thinking of giving the resort the benefit of the doubt.

My advice: avoid this resort if you are traveling to celebrate any special occasion or milestone celebration. In fact, we were there to celebrate two very special occasions and the "mass-factory style approach" of the resort was not very pleasant. Our stay was quite disappointing. Having travelled nearly 15 hours to arrive to Maui the check-in staff member didn't even ask how our flight was, the reason for our visit or even simply acknowledge any of our requests. As a Starwood Preferred Guest member we were treated as if we were being checked in at a motel. To make things worse -- we had a horrible room which was literally the size of a shoebox with a terrible view. Furthermore, people walking outside were easily staring into our room, and if the check-in staff member was cognizant of the purpose for our trip she would not have given us this room. We asked to change rooms twice and nobody followed up.

The staff were CONSISTENTLY late on everything - had to call and remind them 4-5 times to remind them on every request. What made it even worse was the fact that they had poor mishaps on reservations and bookings. Our golf trip wasn't booked properly and upon arrival we were told the concierge desk gave us the wrong info (resort is across the street you would figure they would know) and other trips were cancelled with poor communication. Of course, when you plan your vacation on a day-day schedule a cancellation can become a serious hinderance. Overall, we had the impression that this property and its staff were very short-sighted. In fact, I was planning on becoming a Starwood owner after this stay and thought I'd use my Maui experience to bite the ownership bullet, however, that will not be happening.

Prior to booking this hotel, we read that it had one of the worlds top ranked pools , which we found to be very misleading. It blows my mind that not a single pool had any entertainment and to top things off the resort practically becomes ghost town at 9:00-10PM. On a separate note, we did venture out to the nearby Hyatt for dinner at Japengo (highly recommended) and the staff and service level was so exceptional and resonated with our previous Hyatt stays and we decided to go with the Hyatt's ownership plan.

Maui was a memorable visit but the Westin was the worst part of our trip - we spent as much time away from the hotel as possible.

To be fair: the management we dealt with towards the very end were nice but it was a little too late (on our last day) and by that point the resort just left us with a sour taste.

Aloha~

Room Tip: Expect kids to be roaming around everywhere. Rubber duckies everywhere :)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shan T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!