“"Fine" Hotel, not great, not bad”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Overall, the Westin was fine. I can't say I loved it, but I didn't hate it either. The double rooms are the smallest I've ever stayed in. And when it says double beds, that's what it means. They are not queen beds, they are double. My husband and I had a real hard time fitting and sleeping in a bed this small. However, it was a comfortable bed if it would've been larger. The pools were really nice. However, it was extremely crowded to the point that it was a nuisance. Nothing else was exceptionally great, nor exceptionally bad. Would I stay here again? Probably not. I prefer to find a place that I love, not a hotel that is just "fine".

Room Tip: Beware of extra small rooms in the "Mountain View" rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank aspiringtravelcritic
There are newer reviews for The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My family stayed at the Westin in Maui July 16th-July 22nd. We had two rooms one room was the mountain views and the other was ocean views room #715. Both were great rooms but the ocean view room was amazing! My husband and I loved sitting out on the balcony with a bottle of wine enjoying the beautiful view. I can't say enough great things about the beautiful hotel but I must mention a couple of employees that made such a great impact on our family and it was Grace and Jason. I beyond impressed with their customer service and professionalism. If you see Grace at the front desk say Hi and tell her you heard amazing things about her. Thank you again Grace and Jason from my family we appreciate all you did!

Room Tip: Ocean view over looking the pool rooms on the floors #600 and above
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Friendly check in with a shell necklace presented as a greeting
Late check out granted if you have a late flight, must ask front desk the morning of check out, if the same room will not be occupied that day
Ate at Relish twice, once for dinner(very good)and for breakfast. The breakfast buffet is 28 dollars per person, but is plentiful, and tasty.
The grounds are well taken care of, with flamingos and various tropical birds. This is a family oriented hotel with many many children, but the adult only pool was respected
Stayed in Ocean view room 453, right across the elevators, not recommended as you hear the elevators run all night long. More bothersome are the paper thin walls in which we could hear the neighbors television clearly and most conversations, as well as phone calls. Rooms are small but good enough for two people, most people are not in the room all day, when you have the outside beauty to enjoy. Rooms have a balcony and two chairs as well. Front desk offers you higher floors with a "better ocean view for 35 dollars more a day." There is a 30 dollar resort fee added daily, which included wifi, etc. wifi was fast on the IPad, but not so much on the cell
Occasion: Anniversary, a bottle of wine was given complimentary, but when I called for a corkscrew, hours later, never got it, until we ran into a waiter in the elevator who was glad to help and deliver one outside the door. So 3pm became 8pm, with not so chilled wine. Oh we'll, there are worse scenarios
Parking: no vehicle used..there is a free shuttle to take you to Lahaina as often as you need and to sister hotels(Sheraton and Westin Villas)The outside porters will call a cab quickly, airport cost around 85 dollars. We used a tour group to Hana, which was good due to winding roads
Beach umbrellas: one umbrella 25 dollars..each chair 10 dollars...cabanas are 75 dollars but can not be laid out on the beach
The Whalers Village is next door offering a food court and a few restaurants(favorite was Barefoot Bar. **See their website for all included
Overall: complaining about high prices around the island will make your stay less enjoyable, have fun, enjoy the beauty of Maui, as there are ways to be resourceful
Luaus..Westin has one, we did not attend...Attended: Feast At Lele (fantastic!)
Would stay again at the Westin, but not near the elevators!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TexasTravelertx
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Aloha Texas Travelertx,

Mahalo Nui Loa for your wonderful review. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Please accept our apologies for the shortcomings that you experienced. We will pass along your feedback to the appropriate team leaders for follow up. Thank you for allowing us to share in your special occasion. We can't wait to welcome you back for another fun stay. Thank you again for your review. Happy Anniversary! We wish you many more.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I spent two nights here with my wife and two young children, and enjoyed it. The rooms were very comfortable, and the general service was good, and what you'd expect from a resort at this price point.

The breakfast buffet was very well appointed, but at $30 per head, you expect it to be. We did eat lunch by the pool each day, as well as enjoyed a few cocktails, that were enjoyable if not remarkable. We ate dinner at off site restaurants, as there are a few restaurants very close by.

We didn't do much in the way of activities, as we spent most of our time by the pool or on the beach. The pool has several levels, includes a fun waterside, a water basketball game, and was generally a fun place to laze around. There is also an adult only section, but I didn't spend anytime there. As Maui is a fairly rural place, there isn't a lot to do after dark, but we were pretty tired after days in the sun. The one activity we did do was to visit the Maui Ocean center, which was a well done aquarium, but isn't something that will compare against some the really big Aquariums out there.

Overall, it was nice place to waste a few days, but I would have gotten bored after more than a few days. If I were coming all the way to Hawaii for a vacation, I'd stay on Oahu for most of my visit.

Room Tip: It's shaped like a U. You want either a garden view, or you're staring at a parking lot. B...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank NormalOrlandoGuy
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon for 7 nights and it was great. Crystal helped us check in and we were given an upgrade to partial ocean view room. Staff was extremely helpful and polite through out the stay. Resort is clean and with great amenities. Whalers village is few steps away. There is a free shuttle to other Westin properties and common points of interests. The only thing that made me not to give 5 stars is the parking space. There are approx 600-700 rooms and half the parking space. Out of 8 days; we only got parking twice. Parking spots are narrow too so if you rent a bigger car/vehicle, it will be difficult. They are well aware of this issue and we were not charged for valet parking. Over all it was an amazing experience and we cant wait to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Annie A

Congratulations! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us for your celebration. We are very honored to share in the special occasion. We wish you many years of happiness and look forward to welcome back for yet another special occasion. Be Well.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I contacted the Westin Maui by email to inquiry about purchasing 2 shells I had seen at the resort two years ago. The Concierge emailed me with the number of the gift shop which I called. I spoke with Mely Caliva, who sent me pictures of the shells she had. I called her back, asked her to pick out 2 and mail them to me in Texas. She said she would ON HER DAY OFF!!! I got the shells today and they are gorgeous. The level of service we experienced 2 years ago I experienced again from Ms. Caliva. I give the Westin Maui 5 stars for rooms, gardens, pools and staff. Truly paradise.

Room Tip: Our room was on the garden side, 332, I think. The gardens are amazing.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HawaiiFan1021

What a great story! Thank you for sharing. We are so happy to hear that Mely went above and beyond to assist. We will be sure she is recognized. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again, soon. A Hui Hou.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

You're going to Maui and want to have a memorable vacation. Might want to consider staying somewhere other than the Westin. The hotel is huge and impersonal. They have teams of people working there and you can spend 8 days there without anyone knowing who you are unless you raise a stink, as we did, about the tiny room on the second floor overlooking the parking lot and next to the elevator and ice machine, they gave us when we checked in. We are SPG Gold and wrote ahead about our honeymoon. We told them we were 3 people but they attempted to give us a room with a king bed. Um... nope. Then they gave us the aforementioned room but told us (as if they were doing us a big favor) that they would try to move us. Thankfully the staff member grasped what was going on and gave us a better room which allowed us to have a better stay. Had we stayed in the first room I'd be divorced and the hotel would surely never forget me.

The pools are large but even so finding chairs by the pool requires an 8am wake up call. Even then if you leave your chair for an hour, they will tag it and give it away. The pools themselves are fine except if you note that they are freezing. Not heated. A month later and my daughter is still talking about how she spent 3 days not going in the pool because it was too cold. We have since and before been to many resorts where there pools are put at a decent refreshing temperature. In this pool kids were turning blue.

The food is bad. Inedible in many areas. The kids pass is a huge rip off and the breakfast buffet is awful. Rent a car (and pray to find a space, although there is free valet when the lot is full) and eat anywhere else. Nearly all the guests eat out locally or bring food in. It isn't hard to find better food (even next door at Whaler's Village) than it is anywhere in this hotel.

Be prepared for anyone selling anything to be selling you something at the hotel. There is a very hard sell on the Villas. You might as well go and spend an hour and half and get something free, but in the end you'll feel like you've escaped not spending money that will be hard to recoup unless you're a family of 5 who spends $10k just on vacation lodging every year. People around the pool will try to sell you lotions and other items. It's hard to find any peace and quiet here unless you go to the beach, which is very nice and there are many activity options based there.

All in all, this place should be much much better than it is. This is Maui, they should try harder.

Room Tip: Make sure you're not near an elevator or ice machine and that you're in their new tower.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank JsammyLA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!