“Never Been so relaxed”

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Boise, Idaho
“Never Been so relaxed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2009

When we first got there, they told us our room was next to the elevator and we would be switched (if we so choose) the next night to a better room. We couldn't even hear the elevator but decided to change room anyways. They put us on the top floor over-looking the beach, which was incredible. The resort was large but you wouldn't know it has 900 rooms. Pool area can be crowded, but there's a beach with white sand 50 steps away! Location couldn't be better; next to whalers village and Hula grill.
If you're wanting to see Whales, and want to go snorkeling, I suggest just go on a snorkeling trip. We saw more Whales on our snorkeling trip then our Whale excursion. Every time we went under water while snorkeling, we could hear the Whales! Black rock is right down the beach, and one of the best places to snorkel.
If you want some waves, go to DT Flemming beach (North about 5 - 10 miles).
Another good snorkeling place is Ahihi bay, which has an underwater preserve. That is located near Grand Wailea (South of resort). The Westin has a great staff that can tell you where all the locations are, plus set up trips for you. That makes life even more relaxing, you just show up.
You'll pay good money for everything you do, so budget before hand, or it can get out of control.
Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,311)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Pacific Palisades. Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2009

Families come here to dump their children on the hotel staff to babysit. I landed in the hospital after being hit in the with a nerf football while laying poolside in my lounge. The hotel does nothing to control the routiness. The guests bring their anger, egos and hateful attitudes with them to this paradise. Their ever so happy to dump on the other guests and staff. People move around this hotel every year in wheelchairs and crutches. I have had many conversations with management here to limit the ball throwing and rough pool behavior. It's not safe for small children are anyone smaller than a NFL quarterback. SO BEWARE!!! The hotel and staff are very friendly and helpful it's a beautiful place. If you can stay away from the pool area. The massage people are resort quality. If you know what I Mean? We go every year with a large group at Christmas. So we tolerate a lot to see our friends.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DReese
Pullach im Isartal, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

Yes, Ka'anapelli might not be the most sophisticated region on Maui - high rise hotels like beads on a chain - but we enjoyed the Westin. We got an upgrade, first from partial ocean view in the old building to partial ocean view in the newer building with bigger rooms and then eventually another upgrade in the Beach Tower building to the eighth floor after I complained that the first upgrade is just above the Ono Restaurant. They wanted to charge me for the second upgrade 50 USD per night but in the end 'forgot' to charge me. Nice. Rooms in the new building are indeed rather big and can accomodate two cribs and we had a wonderful view. Breakfast was included. Nice, too. Beach is not very deep but nice. Pools were cool and they had no keiki pool so we went there once with our kids and then stayed rather at the beach. Booked the sunchair/umbrella package for 25 USD one day but not worthwile with kids since you keep building sand castles the whole day anyway. Again, in total a good choice but (of course) by far not as good as the Four Seasons we stayed in the second half of our trip, see my other review.

Overland Park, Ks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

I was nervous about this hotel after I read the reviews. However, it was a wonderful vacation and a wonderful hotel. The only bad thing was we only stayed 5 days and it should have been longer.

We arrived at midnight Hawaii time and were greeted by two bell staff (yes, they said aloha) and my husband stayed with the kids, luggage and car. I proceeded to check-in. Once again, greeted with an aloha, were upgraded from Terrace view to mountan view room without asking and checked in within 5 minutes. Meanwhile, my husband has bonded with the bell hop who has offered us a microwave. I recommend getting it as we reheated our leftovers from dinner and also popped some popcorn for the pool (saved the $5 at the pool).

The rooms are a bit small, but who wants to spend much time in there when you are in Hawaii. We had a room in the Ocean tower, which I believe is smaller than the Beach tower, but it was stil fine. The room has a small refrigerator and the sink is separate from the shower and toilet. There is a flat screen tv and an amoire for hang-up clothes with 3 drawers.

It was so convenient that it was right next to the Whaler's Village. We ate at Hula Grill and Leilani's in the Village and bought our souveneirs there. We also rented our snorkel gear at the Maui Dive Shop there. Also, the beach in front of the Westin is the best area on Ka'anapali beach. The other areas are either rocky on the shore or there is a shelf on the beach. The pool is great - it is not heated, but you get used to it really fast. My son said if you went in the ocean first, then the pool felt really warm!!!

The hotel was not full when we were there, so that might explain the better service, but we loved this hotel and would definitely go back.

3 Thank babs1000
Easton, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

I just returned from a wonderful trip at the Westin Maui from 3/8/09-3/15/09. I was traveling with a group of 14 people for my sister's wedding. I had my husband and three year old son with me . I would like to address some of the issues previous reviewers had stated. Let me just start by saying what an incredible deal we got on our room...$200 dollars per night through Orbitz. We stayed in room 1120 in the beach tower....the older tower. The arrival at the hotel was breathtaking when you see the beautiful lobby with all of the fish and birds. It makes you feel like you are in a tropical paradise. My son instantly wanted to feed the fish. Our check-in was smooth and then we went to our room. Our room was next to the elevator and overlooked the parking lot but was on the highest floor (11th) so we mostly saw the mountains and golf course. The room was just big enough for the three of us and turned out to be a very quite room. I never heard the room next door or the elevator...or anything else really. The beds were so comfortable and I am going to buy one of those heavenly shower heads. The room was also very clean and the cleaning lady was always ready to clean by 9:00a.m.. The lobby was a great meeting place for our group in the morning and to keep our son entertained. It was also a wonderful place to relax in the shade. The pool area always had a seat and the waitresses were extremely nice. There was never a problem getting towels either. The pool was clean but a bit cold. My son would not get into it until the third day because of the temperature. The pool temperature is fine once you get used to it . The drinks are pricey but there is usually a happy hour going on at one of the bars. I did not care muchfor the breakfast downstairs. My son always ate free because he was under five which made it convenient. We racked up about a $650 room bill upon check out. Some of that was the $25 resort fee and there was a lot of tropical monkeys from the bar. They are $10 dollars a piece but my husband became addicted to them. The parking spaces were small but there always was one available. Every staff member we encountered was nice and I definitely did not get the impression that the hotel had a "Disney" like feel to it. It was just a relaxing and pleasant resort that gave my family a lot of wonderful memories. I would try the resort for yourself if you can get a good deal and I think you will be just as happy!

3 Thank Easton_PAFamilyof4
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

We stayed 6 nights at the Westin in Maui after 2 nights in Oahu and before 6 nights in Kauai. We were trying to decide between the Westin and the Hyatt (never got to see the Hyatt so not sure which one was nicer). The weather wasn't great but better than once we got to Kauai. It was very windy but most of our days we had sunshine and it was in the high 70s so even with the wind we got to spend some time at the pool. A bit too windy for the beach. We liked the lobby when you arrive as they have a lagoon with pretty waterfalls and flamingos. We were greeted with a shell lei. The package we chose on Orbitz gave us an upgrade to a mountain view. It was actually a very pretty view and we were up high enough from the parking lot where we didn't hear much noise. There is also a $25/day resort fee which covers self parking (fills up at night but they valet your car for free if it is full), 2 bottles of water per day and silly things that have always normally been included in your rate like a safe and the fitness center. The water came in handy as you have a little frig. The rooms are small and tight but fine. The beds were comfy. The shower itself seems a little dingy. I definitely didn't feel like I was staying in a room that costs $450/night. Luckily we had 2 nights for free with our orbitz package. The hallway, elevators and rooms didn't seem like they just had a renovation. Not sure what they renovated...The grounds were a different story. 5 pools including an adult only pool. 2 water slides, one for the kiddos and one for the adults. When you request pool towels and they put a wristband on you (a different color each day) - tacky! No ones checks your wristband except if you want to go down the water slide. If you want to use a chair on the beach, which I think should be included providing you are paying $25/day resort fee. That feels like nickeling and dimeing. Speaking of, they offered pilates and yoga but charged you I think $12/class which again with the resort fee thought something like this should be included. The grounds are very lush and tropical and fun pools. They have a couple waterfalls and cold "hot" tub in one of the caves. It's a little warmer than the pool but not a hot tub. They have a separate hot tub as well by the adult pool. We got breakfast included with our orbitz package and glad we did as the breakfast buffet is about $27/person. It's very good, with custom omelettes, scrambled eggs, french toast or pancakes, bacon, fruit, bagels and pastries. Includes coffee, tea and juice. I gained about 5 lbs from this vacation probably from these huge breakfasts! You could eat here at the Westin resort & spa the other Westin ocean resort villas, or sheraton. We only ate here and at the Sheraton of which the breakfast was great there too. To compare the Sheraton, the grounds were nice there too but not as nice as the westin. What the Sheraton has over the westin is the beach is much better. You can walk there from the Westin (10 minute or so walk) and snorkel although my husband is an avid scuba diver and said the snorkeling was not good at all there. He almost rented a tank, he was glad he checked it out snorkeling first. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants other than our included breakfast. Which you can sit at either of the restaurants including Tropica and have a nice ocean view while enjoying the same buffet. Most people don't know this, just go around to the ocean side where tropica is and get seated there. You won't have to wait in line either.

While in Maui we did the Road to Hana, continued on after the road to Hana and went up the volcano in one day. It was an exhausting day. I would advise to break it up. A lot of the waterfalls were not that spectacular which I was surprised since it was winter time and their rainy season. We had the Maui Revealed book (which is a great book by the way) and tried to follow the stops on it. We missed many and one of the first water falls it tells you to stop at we didn't get to see since we did not feel like walking over dead animal carcasses that were probably most likely left there by the locals to keep tourists away from spots. Also you don't need a 4-wheel drive. We had a compact car and did just fine. Bring your bonine if you are prone to car sickness. Between all the curves and then the dirt road (after the road to Hana if you continue on) is very bumpy. Speaking of we rented a car from priceline and got a great deal of $12/day. People who hadn't rented cars couldn't even get one since they ran out. With the economy they have shipped out many of their cars to the mainland so better to have one secured before you leave. For the road to hana trip, we bought a styrofoam cooler and got some sandwiches at the Foodland Deli before we left our hotel area. It was nice to have a little picnic at Waianapanapa State Park. This is something to see. Once you get to Hana, you can either turn around and go back the same way you can or you can continue on. This is where we thought it was really beautiful sights of the coast but parts of the road are not paved and it is very narrow where only one car can fit through at a time but most cars are all driving from Hana. We felt it was well worth the continued drive. We then drove up the dormant volcano Haleakala which is 10,000 feet up. Boy you are high up there!! We actually drove above the clouds. It's very curvy of course driving up a volcano but it's nicely paved and plenty of room for 2 cars to get by. I'm sure on a clear day it would be quite an amazing sight. Bring a jacket it's a bit chilly.

I have to say one of the best things we did was go to the magic show of Warren and Annabelle. It is an amazing show!!! And not cheesy or tacky either. We still can't figure out how Warren did the things he did. My husband and I were one of the chosen couples to help. There's no sawing a woman in half or anything like that. And it was quite neat to part of the show and not figure out how he did things when we were up so close. Not to be missed! Make sure you get your tickets ahead of time as they sell out. We went to the earlier show 5pm and it doesn't end until 9p. If you are not eating, you can show up a bit later. About an hour later and you can still get a drink or a dessert.

For restaurants we went to Leilani's on the Beach, next to the Westin. We just ate downstairs which is a bit cheaper and more casual. It was good. Make sure you get the Hula Pie! It is to die for but you'll need to share. It's an oreo cookie crust with macadamia nut ice cream, hot fudge, whip cream. YUMMY! There's a chain of restaurants you can get this at. Like the Hula Grill too, same type of place next to Leilani's. Kimo's in Lahaina (just 10 minute drive south) is part of this chain. They have a lot of fish specials and they were very good. On the water as well. It was very good. I had ahi whenever I could which was often :) BJs restaurant has chicago pizza and it was very good. A bit of a cheaper dinner. The large pizza is huge and too much for the 2 of us. Across the street but up and has a view of the water but not the sunset as there is a big tree in the way at least in February there was. We also ate Pacific'o (a late lunch) and it's right on the beach. Again it was good. Got a mojito and it was VERY strong, too strong for me.

Lastly we took a ride down to the Wailea area. Ate at Nick's Fishmarket at the Fairmont. VERY expensive. Entrees were mostly $40-50 if you wanted a salad it was another $14-18. It was good but not that good. The service is what they are known for but they are all on top of you when they seat you. You got one person getting your chair while another is putting the napkin on your lap and another is pouring water. And then they watch you. A bit uncomfortable. I like my service somewhere in between, not wondering where my wait person is but attentive. Fairmont grounds are nice but they aren't as lush and tropical. It's a little more "higher class' but we were looking for a fun pool and more tropical. It had a nice beach area but you couldn't walk as the other resorts and them blocked it off so it is private. I guess good that it's private but we like to walk the beaches. Also visited the grounds at the Four Seasons! And that is luxury! It's not super tropical nor does it have fun pools but it's NICE! I had booked a oceanside massage there. Which was pretty heavenly except for the weed whacking going on next door at another property. Plus construction. They made up for it by comping me since we had driven an hour down there which I thought was very nice of them.

My husband golfed at the Makena Golf course down in wailea. It was very impressive and he was the only one on the course so he golfed by himself. He had planned to golf at Prince in Kauai (supposed to be the best in Kauai and some say the he best in Hawai) but we both went in the ocean and got knocked around pretty good by the waves. He landed on his shoulder and it never healed enough to play Prince :(

Overall we had a great stay! Maui was our favorite island out of the 3 we visited - Oahu, kauai and Maui. We were surprised we were expecting Kauai to be but we had yucky weather in Kauai so we could have had a different view of Kauai had the weather been nicer.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StPattyMom
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

We had a week at the Westin Maui in the first week of March. Weather was very cold, wet and windy for the first few days, but improved a little as the week went on.

We managed to score a room at the front of the Beach Tower, so we had a fantastic view looking over Kaanapali out to Lanai and Molokai. Watching the whales from our balcony was an awesome experience. So much so, that we didn't feel the need to actually go out on a boat.

Room and bathroom were of very decent size and in reasonable condition (although not immaculate). We had a deal that included the breakfast buffet, which was nice, but if we had had to pay for it we certainly would have gone elsewhere - VERY expensive.

Both weather and water were too cold for swimming, but the multiple pools looked great and there were some brave souls using them who seemed to be having fun.

The location is great, being right next door to the Whalers Village - often ate at the Hula Grill or Leilani's. Need to get there quite early, otherwise it's a bit of a wait, but pretty reasonable prices and decent food.

I know others have mentioned it, but I want to add my opinion about the compulsory resort fee they charge. OUTRAGEOUS! They claim it's for the gym, parking, etc - but shouldn't these be included in the cost of your room?!?! It's not like the Westin is some cheap flea-bitten dive - what's the point in offering 'extra' services if you're going to charge extra for them?

To sum up, we got a good deal and felt we good good value (resort fee aside...) - not sure it's worth the rack rates they publish though...

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sydneytraveller69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!